Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Aiming backwards? What? With Gyro aiming you just point the switch where you want to aim.

Tilting a joystick forward aims up, but tilting the controller forward with gyro aims down. I get that it's meant to be used like a pointer, but I have a hard time thinking about it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a game that takes place like a month after Calamity Ganon fucks everything over and you have to play as a survivor trying to keep a town together and it gets more ridiculous and insane and becomes obvious further into the game that none of it ever happened and is just some talltale bullshit

The Legend of Groose

Lol keep playing botw, you're in for a treat.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

THE loving MOON posted:

To be clear, Fire Emblem Warriors isn't exactly bad... it's just that there's loads of variety in different sword styles, even some for axes... but the only lance moveset is one shared by two pegasus knights in the vanilla game. Pegasus knights, if you know anything about Fire Emblem, are weak against archers. There's a couple other lance users in the dlc, but... you know, it's dlc. Just a boring, badly balanced roster. It's still kind of disappointing to me. :saddowns:

The roster is balanced around classes, not weapons, so characters like Marth and Celica will have different roles, despite having the same move set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Tilting a joystick forward aims up, but tilting the controller forward with gyro aims down. I get that it's meant to be used like a pointer, but I have a hard time thinking about it that way.

I think your brain is just entirely broken.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tilting a joystick forward aims up

What? Why? Why would you use this setting?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1117820873522593792?s=19

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bushisms.txt posted:

Lol keep playing botw, you're in for a treat.

lmao hell yeah

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

How was reggie not taken? That's pretty crazy. Unless he just killed the previous owner, which is probably more likely.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bushisms.txt posted:

How was reggie not taken? That's pretty crazy. Unless he just killed the previous owner, which is probably more likely.

He might have registered it years ago but didn't tweet with it while employed by Nintendo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

While your logic is sound, I'm gonna go with the murder speculation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My dudes, they just took the handle Reggie from someone and gave it to him. It's not that complicated

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Takoluka posted:

What? Why? Why would you use this setting?

Because that's the default setting in nearly every game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Because that's the default setting in nearly every game.

Are you talking about joysticks or analog sticks?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I love gyro aiming and use it in any game that has it, but it definitely takes me a few minutes to adjust to the aiming being backwards every time I sit down for a play session.
Imagine there's a camera on the back of your Switch that's recording the virtual world. Gyro aiming exactly like that, you tilt your screen up and it shows what's below.

Assuming you have a phone with a camera, turn it on and move it around. It works the same way. That's how the real world works. It's also why gyro aiming is intuitive.

Now, if you try to map the movements of gyro aiming to an analog stick, if you tilt the stick up (or forward) you would look down, and if you tilt the stick left you would look right. That's what's now called "inverted" horizontal/vertical controls, which at one time were a default for manipulating cameras in 3D spaces before dual analog sticks became popular. But now it's considered backwards or something.

I personally don't care whether people use "normal" or "inverted" controls. What's annoying is when games don't offer the option, or offer inverted vertical only.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ItBreathes posted:

Are you talking about joysticks or analog sticks?

Yes, the one that controls camera movement.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Imagine there's a camera on the back of your Switch that's recording the virtual world. Gyro aiming exactly like that, you tilt your screen up and it shows what's below.

Maybe it will make more sense to me if I play handheld, 99% of my play is with a Pro Controller. Like I said, I get what they were going for and agree they chose the right default, but there need to be options.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

ahh I'm torn between getting diablo 3 or rebuying dark souls. Does DS run ok on switch?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MechaSeinfeld posted:

ahh I'm torn between getting diablo 3 or rebuying dark souls. Does DS run ok on switch?

It runs at a smooth 30 fps without the graphics upgrades and with a slightly worse audio. But yeah, it runs OK.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Apparently it's the definitive last gen version

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The remaster of Dark Souls wasn't particularly good anyway. I have it PS3, PS4 and Switch. The switch one falls in the middle but still totally playable and also portable, which is so cool.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yes, the one that controls camera movement.

Maybe it will make more sense to me if I play handheld, 99% of my play is with a Pro Controller. Like I said, I get what they were going for and agree they chose the right default, but there need to be options.

Gotcha. Yeah, gyro controls with the pro are less intuitive than with a screen in your hands.

Joysticks are the things you fly planes with and if you push them forward you go down, the nose moves in the direction of the stick.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I only recently started using the switch as a handheld and having portable dark souls is almost enough for me to buy it right now.

Realistically I'll probably end up owning both games at some stage.

A console has never made me feel compelled to rebuy so many games. I even considered getting skyrim again since I thought it'd be a cozy bed game. I don't even like skyrim

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

It's insane that this console has been out for over 2 years and there's still only one mainline Zelda game I can play on it.

that’s not insane it’s basically par for the course

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I only recently started using the switch as a handheld and having portable dark souls is almost enough for me to buy it right now.

Realistically I'll probably end up owning both games at some stage.

A console has never made me feel compelled to rebuy so many games. I even considered getting skyrim again since I thought it'd be a cozy bed game. I don't even like skyrim

Skyrim would definitively bore me to sleep.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Augus posted:

that’s not insane it’s basically par for the course

BotW is a port of last gen's only console Zelda, so the Switch has yet to get its first own Zelda. The last console that got multiple installments was the GameCube (WW, FSA and TP).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

less laughter posted:

BotW is a port of last gen's only console Zelda, so the Switch has yet to get its first own Zelda. The last console that got multiple installments was the GameCube (WW, FSA and TP).

This is the most non thing ever

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

My Time at Portia releases soon! I'm so excited, but I hope it's a good port.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

less laughter posted:

BotW launched on Wii U and Switch simultaneously and it was Nintendo's final Wii U release. If anything, it's the Wii U that never got its own Zelda game.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular
something tripping a lot of people up is that in 3rd person games, your camera stick controls the camera's position on a spherical cap behind a character, which is inverted from what you want to look at since it pivots around your character. so in 3rd person, if you want to look down, you move the camera up (and push forward on the stick) which then also tilts the camera down to keep the character in the center of the screen.

in 1st person games, however, there is no focal point for the camera and you don't "move" the camera with the analog sicks, you directly control their orientation with them. So forward on the analog stick tilting the camera up makes sense there.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
The pop culture chat made me glad I'm not the only person who doesn't memorize celebrities. Thank you everyone

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How do you memorize a person.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

How do you memorize a person.

very carefully

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Volte posted:

BotW launched on Wii U and Switch simultaneously and it was Nintendo's final Wii U release. If anything, it's the Wii U that never got its own Zelda game.

It's a port of a Wii U game sis, release date is irrelevant.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Bold of Reggie to burn down Notre Dame in celebration of his retirement.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Just lol if you don't record yourself reading celebrities bios from magazines. How else do you talk to "normal" people?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RBA Starblade posted:

As a Non-WiiU owner, I'll allow it!

If I had to get one btw would Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors be a better buy

Depends:

First of all, do you like Zelda gameplay elements or Fire Emblem gameplay elements more? Which one you answer yes to should probably be a major influence in your decision to buy one.

But I'll list some pros and cons:

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (since I guess this is the one you're going for):

quote:

Pros
+ It's a Warriors game with Zelda characters!
+ 29 characters and 42 movesets divided among the characters! Or 43 if you count a certain moveset. We've come a long way from 13 characters and 20 (or 21) movesets.
+ A sub-item system that are used for puzzle-solving and exposing Weak Point Gauges of generic enemies and Giant Bosses.
+ Legend Mode consists of the main story + two side stories, and completing all three nets you access to a bonus epilogue.
+ Adventure Mode is an incredibly meaty side mode, packing 9 gigantic board maps with a lot of missions + 1 bonus map that features unique missions based on Skulltula illustrations that you can complete. The generic missions can be anything from an army vs. army to something that's more of a gauntlet-style challenge. Occasionally, you will find Boss missions which are always army vs. army missions where the enemy commander is hidden behind two locks; one being the usual first main mission and the other being a Boss Key which you must collect to open up the enemy base. These missions end with the enemy commander summoning a giant boss upon defeat, which must be defeated to truly win the mission. The aim is to find the Dark Ruler square which contains the only Boss mission where the enemy commander summons Ganon upon defeat. This mode is where the main meat of the game lies; as you unlock and progress through the maps, you will find better weapons, alternate costumes and colors for characters, more Heart Containers, Skulltulas, Item Cards that are used for progressing through the maps (or you can buy them in the item shop). Adventure Mode is also where you unlock the characters who do not have a role in the story, as well as some who do.
+ You can fight various Giant Bosses from Legend of Zelda.
+ Challenge Mode which has a couple generic missions featured around normal generics, Giant Bosses, and a subset that let's you play as Ganon (or Cucko if you get that far). These along with the Skulltula Illustration Missions are basically the postgame content where you take your über-powerful character into the final real challenges the game has for you.
+ You can play as Ganondorf. :black101:
+ You can play as Tingle! :discourse:
+ Linkle! :swoon:
+ Certain characters can switch their Lv. 4+ weapons to a skin that resembles an 8-bit version of a LoZ NES weapon/item. (Ganondorf for example can switch his main weapon's Lv. 4+ weapon to a skin that let's him use the 8-bit Key and Magical Key as substitutes.)
+ You can switch between characters.
+ You also occasionally get limited to a certain character or weapon when doing a mission. This encourages you to try out every character and every moveset.
+ An elemental weakness system that favors YOU and not the CPU, mostly because you either do supereffective damage or you don't, and the characters under your control is never subject to supereffective damage. Related are elemental effects, which are mostly powerful, especially Darkness.
+ lmao: https://twitter.com/Folt99/status/999054463137546240

Cons
- Your CPU Allies are weak. WEAK! Special mention goes to the Hylian Captain who's extremely weak, with slow-rear end attacks, and the Goron Captain (who is the second weakest, but slightly more competent than), as well as the player characters you brought with you that you're currently NOT controlling who struggle to even kill a weak-rear end Lizalfos from the earliest maps until you take control of them again.
- Your allied generics consist mostly of Hylian Captains and Goron Captains, thus exacerbating the above problem. Lizalfos, Big Poes, Moblins, Redeads, etc. are only allowed into your army in certain missions which are few and far between.
- A not-insignificant amount of movesets are extremely unfun to play unless you're willing to invest a fair amount of time into learning those movesets, and a fair amount of those are also... rather bad.
- Related to the above: you want to use a Water moveset? Too bad because most of them are baaad, a couple of them extremely so. It's also not helped by Water's effect which is the only effect in the game that can actually hinder a moveset's damage potential due to how it works. (DoT that flinches the enemy officer whenever it deals that DoT. Which would be neat if it weren't for the fact that it can make them recover in mid-air AS you're comboing them, cutting your combo short. gently caress that poo poo!)
- Of those 42 movesets, 6 are dedicated to only one character, and heaven help you if you like multiple movesets that belong to one character because you will never be able to use those same movesets in the same mission through character switching. (Cries in the impossible Gauntlet + Spinner combo in one mission.) And if you count that one moveset for a total of 43 movesets, that basically makes one other moveset obsolete once that weapon's true power is unlocked.
- Sub-Item system is... well, it can take a fair bit to scroll to the thing you want/need to use due to the new additions.
- Giant Bosses... kinda suck fighting against. See, you have to wait for them to use an attack that let's you use an item on them to incapacitate them and reveal their WPG. Fairly straightforward... unless the AI for the boss makes them pick their attacks a bit randomly... which is exactly the problem. There's ways to game the AI so that the chances of them picking those attacks increase, but you're still at the mercy of the AI, and having multiple teammates around the boss does not help in this regard. Revealing their WPG and taking that to 0 is also the only real way to deal massive amounts of damage to the boss, and if they're weakened, they tend to use other, more dangerous, more time-wasting attacks on top of that which will suck when you're going for rank.
- Adventure Mode is... massive to say the least. Definitive Edition's way of... dumping all the maps (except the bonus map) on your lap is also a thing I personally have an issue with. I'd been a lot more happier if we got only a few maps and unlocked the rest as we went along.
- You also occasionally get limited to a certain character or weapon when doing a mission which will suck if it's one of the bad weapons mentioned earlier. If the mission allows for character switching, then you're in luck, but if not... hope you're ready to spend some time with that character before you can go back to your favorites.
- The Ganon/Cucko part of Challenge Mode is... well, it's a little bit poo poo. Mostly because there's no easy way to level either.
- You can't access the Bazaar from the board maps in Adventure Mode this time around. You have to enter a mission's character select screen in order to do so.
- lmao: https://twitter.com/Folt99/status/1003704673801342978
- Related to the above, a good deal of generic officers quotes in Adventure Mode sometimes do not play when they should, including giant boss summoning dialogue and character responses facing a playable officer for the first time (including unique ones).
+ Oh yeah. As something that wasn't actually made for the Switch, the game tends to crash if you leave the console in Sleep Mode for too long and come back to it (1 or 2 days or so, might be less). I believe the cause is a memory leak and it won't erase your data or anything like that (just your current mission progress). So, you know: turn it off when you're done.

Fire Emblem Warriors:

quote:

Pros
+ 23 playable characters right off the bat. 32 with DLC. It also means that if you have a friend over and the two of you both like a particular moveset, you can both use that moveset. On top of that, only 2 movesets are what I'd call unenjoyable, and only one of those movesets is a moveset I would really call bad (and even then, it can be salvaged compared HW's worst moveset).
+ Weapons are uniform and divided into 6 different types, separate from movesets. On top of that, certain characters have personal weapons which can be further enhanced (with DLC, every playable character gets their own personal weapon).
+ They somehow managed to use every single normal FE stat for something meaningful in this game. Incidentally, the characters also have different stat loadouts which results in certain characters being more compatible with certain skills/builds than others. (Like Sakura being able to properly use Topsy-Turvy to play an archer hitting magical damage due to her much higher Mag than Takumi for example.)
+ You can do either physical or magic damage, which along with the weapon triangle will affect match-ups between certain characters.
+ Speaking of: Weapon Triangle (sword beats axe beats lance beats sword) is pretty meaningful in this game. If you have advantage, you do extra damage and the opponent gets a yellow Stun Gauge when he exposes it or you force it instead of the normal white one which turns your Critical Hit into an AoE on top of dealing more damage. If you're disadvantaged, the enemy can randomly block your blow as well as all impact, even while you're comboing them, and you can't force them to expose their (white) Stun Gauge. Bows and Tomes have gauge-based C1s that can expose a white or yellow stun gauge depending on how much they're charged while Stone users can force a white stun gauge to appear with their C4s, or yellow stun gauges when in Awakening Mode (which is relatively easy to do when your gimmick revolves around being in that mode for longer periods of time... like Stone users).
+ If you take the 15-19 movesets and compare with the various character classes in Fire Emblem, practically every class except for the Knight and the Fighter as well as the unique Lord classes from the three focus games (Awakening, Fates, and Shadow Dragon) + the Lord class of the OCs are present as playables. With the unplayables, the other two are present as well.
+ Actual competent ally AI. They'll be able to hold their own for a while so long as the match-up isn't skewed too much against them and they aren't ganged upon. (Protip: Be wary of archers if your base/ally commander is a flier.) Because you must use Staves (or Vulneraries/Concoctions/Elixirs in tandem with a skill) to heal them, this is a very good thing.
+ Speaking of: You get actual variety within the allied generic units this time around. Myrmidons, Soldiers, Mages, Fighters, Paladins, Wyvern Riders, even generic Manaketes can appear among your allies in a given mission. The only generic you don't get to fight alongside are Monsters and they bring nothing to the table that other generics can't do.
+ Every character can use a Master Seal when they hit Lv. 15 which causes them to promote, grants them a significant boost in power, and unlocks their promoted costume for use.
+ Every character has at least one costume each, with some characters getting more than one. Generally, you get one costume whenever you use a Master Seal on that character which is their promoted costume and can henceforth switch between them whenever you want.
+ An English Dub. Also, practically every aspect of the game that is spoken is generally done with full voice acting too which is also a good thing in my opinion which is great for a game like this since it will let you keep your eyes on what's happening on screen.
+ Support Conversations between characters. Voice acting for those too.
+ History Mode, the game's version of Adventure Mode. Similiar to HW, the main meat-and-potatoes of FEW lies in the side mode, with mission layouts mostly like it, where you get army vs. army missions and gauntlet-style challenges, and where you can gain stronger weapons and weapon upgrades (and also Master Seals) and Anna Illustration pieces to complete Illustrations based upon the various History Mode maps (and completing them will also unlock missions on those maps which let's you play out the History Mode map as an actual mission). Unlike Adventure Mode, the maps here come with actual stories based on the chapters from the mainline FE games. (The exception is the Free DLC map which is an excuse plot for the OCs to take on the entire playable and unplayable base game roster.) The aim is to fight your way through, advance the plot of the chapter, and unlock the boss mission (or boss missions in one case) which is an army vs. army fight where the second half of the battle against the enemy commander features a trick or gimmick up it's sleeve that makes it a fitting climax to complete the map. Completing the map unlocks Distortion missions which are their own unrelated little stories referencing various Fire Emblem scenes and which are noticeably more challenging than the normal missions, and some of the later History Mode maps will make some of these into boss missions where the enemy commander summons the final boss. The various little story scenes are as always voice acted as well. History Mode is also where you unlock the three characters who do not have a role in the story. (Also, I find History Mode to be the better of the two, simply because it's not as deliriously massive as Adventure Mode is.)
- Character limitations for History Mode missions exist. Unlike HW, because FEW is much more into the whole team than the one shitwrecker angle, they generally don't restrict you to certain characters as much as broad general types (Males only, Females only, Swords only, Mounted only, Awakening Only, etc.) which simultaneously offers more freedom but also more potential for character neglect.
+ Pair-Up let's you basically do a two-character version of Warrior's Orochi's version of the character switch system, on top of the usual one.
+ Mounted movesets are actually cool and good in this. The Paladin and Pegasus Knight moveset in particular are in my opinion the top contenders for best moveset in the game.
+ Lissa gets an Axe for her weapon. NUNSWITHAXES to the very end! :black101:
+ Oh yeah. As something that was actually made for the Switch, the game won't suddently crash if you leave the console in Sleep Mode for too long. It also has a performance vs. Graphics choice if you're playing on the big screen, and battle dialogue loads when they should.

Cons
- 15 movesets to begin with, 19 with DLC. Clones are a given.
- Related to the above: The most egregious are the three Pegasus Knights and the four Archers (who is 60% and 100% of all the users of those weapon types in the game) though both of those movesets take cues from the various class iterations across the games we got (the Archer moveset for example borrows some attack animations that were done by the Fates Outlaw from that game, in addition to some of the standard Archer/Sniper class attack animations).
- The Final Boss is a little bit poo poo, as with all giant bosses. It's much easier to game than the HW Giant Bosses for sure, but that might be a con too.
- Much like HW when it started out. Characters only really come from three games.
- As noted above, if you want every character to have their own personal weapon, you must pay for the DLC. :retrogames:
- No playable Fighter. :(
- No playable Knight. :(
- No playable villains. :(
- Character limitations for History Mode missions exist. Unlike HW, they generally don't restrict you to certain characters as much as broad general types (Males only, Females only, Swords only, Mounted only, Awakening Only, etc.) but it's still a thing that could potentially screw you over when you least expect it... if less so than HW.
- lmao: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/7yxswi/fire_emblem_warriors_is_this_aquarium_gravel/

For the record, unlike most people, I think Fire Emblem Warriors is the slightly better one of the two, but either game is among the best modern Musou games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

It's a port of a Wii U game sis, release date is irrelevant.

Ports come out after the original release. Its a multiplatform release for both the WiiU and Switch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1117851934239514625

https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1117852313559769088

:saddowns:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I mean, main console wise, there have been three zelda games in 13 years.

Unless you are pining for remakes and HD versions, which you might be (I am too!)

Remakes, HD releases, ports, virtual console releases, idgaf. Think of how many Zeldas you can play on the Wii U in comparison. It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i thought i was gonna like Hyrule Warriors better than FE Warriors due to it having more variety and me being much more into Zelda than FE, but i ended up selling it because FEW is just a better video game despite all that stuff