Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Some good samaritan put together a video with timestamps of where every drone is, just in case people want to find them but also dont want to scour the maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niojTGfQmbQ&feature=youtu.be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That is wonderful. Thank you for posting.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Zoig posted:

I also rarely used anything other than sticky grenades and feeders because it cost money that could be used on more guns. While the resources are a good replacement for weapon drops, I honestly can't imagine a good reason to have credits in the game.
I'm guessing the original concept was a way to push progress. Eventually you might get to the point where you'll just tool up and not worry about the reward, just to get the mission done, and grab those unlocks. Especially in higher levels / difficulties where there's more leeway as the reward goes up.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So uh, after finding about 17 of the drones I unlocked the the satellite weapon "Super Missle: Galileo II". Its Double A rank, a Rank that I honestly did not know existed until now, and it costs a million dollars to make.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I haven't picked up IR, but I've watched a lot of people playing it and I'm not entirely keen on the game's smaller enemy count. The game seems to lose something when it's you versus like 20-30 bullet-soaky enemies max instead of you versus 600 bugs coming at you in a goddamn tide.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Kanos posted:

I haven't picked up IR, but I've watched a lot of people playing it and I'm not entirely keen on the game's smaller enemy count. The game seems to lose something when it's you versus like 20-30 bullet-soaky enemies max instead of you versus 600 bugs coming at you in a goddamn tide.
Surely, you exaggerate about that insect tide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFCa7FjS_Mc

Oh...ooooooohhh. OK, I'll stop calling you Shirley.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
All I'm hearing is that they need to make the PC the main platform for EDF so they can finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop.

I mean, we all know their hands were tied because haha gotta support the PS4 non-pro too.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Reallycoolname posted:

fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop.

?????????

If frames aren't dropping, there's not enough ants.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Reallycoolname posted:

All I'm hearing is that they need to make the PC the main platform for EDF so they can finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop.

I mean, we all know their hands were tied because haha gotta support the PS4 non-pro too.

Me, in 2003, playing on PS2: Man I can't wait until next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop
Me, in 2006, playing on Xbox360: Man I can't wait until the next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop
Me, in 2014, playing on PS4: Man I can't wait until the next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Me, in 2003, playing on PS2: Man I can't wait until next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop
Me, in 2006, playing on Xbox360: Man I can't wait until the next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop
Me, in 2014, playing on PS4: Man I can't wait until the next console generation, then they'll have the power to finally fill every square inch of the game world with ants without framedrop

I'm pretty sure sandlot just aims to make the game a slideshow on consoles, which is funny cause it's both why I love the series and, after 4.1, why I'll only ever play on PC

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The magic of classic EDF framedrop is that it doesn't hinder your control so is effectivley no drawbacks bullet time.

The magic of Iron Rain frame drops is "Oh gently caress my chameleon gun charged to 'explosion' instead of 'sniper" :supaburn: (Old PS4 I thought we were pals)

I do like the concept of the Chamelon weapons though. "So Wild panic = shotgun. Taking your time = Sniper, and 'Only if you are very careful' = energy rockets? Please get the wonderful five year old who designed this to make the rest of my arsenal right now"

Muscle memory keeps screwing with me for missile launchers though. "Fire and forget auto track launcher? Nice!... Why is it only firing one missile that goes nowhere?" whoops, fire and forget still needs every drone you want murdered in plain view. Then it turns out a giant robot has multiple 'target' points and it becomes a missile shotgun :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 17, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly I remember hearing people complain that weapons were shared between classes but honestly I'm really happy with it. The only weapon class I find boring is assault rifles, because while other weird standouts in classes are stuff like "a shotgun with explosive shells that only detonate on ground impact" or "a railgun thats actually a shotgun with bouncing penetrating bullets and awful accuracy" the assault rifle just gets "the bouncy bullet gun" and "a .1% chance to do 10000 damage". Why would I choose to use that over a acid thrower or a gun that shoots a (temporarily) tiny sun or just a standard laser cannon, which I will never shut up about because shooting a laser as big as I am is still cool to me.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

I do wish they kept asymmetrical weapon selection on Fencer Junior though. Fire and iceeeee!

Alsp the answer to the above is always "because why not". Also see: EDF4.1's DNG line of grenades.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I really wish they'd port EDF to PC more frequently. I don't have that much space or money and don't want to buy a PS4 for the EDF games. :smith:

Oh well, At least 4.1 is there for me. Take me away, GI ant IN SECTS...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reallycoolname posted:

Alsp the answer to the above is always "because why not". Also see: EDF4.1's DNG line of grenades.

DNGs can be really good sometimes though? More often than any missiles the Ranger gets, at least.

Maybe I shouldn't talk because I only ever go Ranger for double Lysanders, Fusion Blasters, Nova Busters, or AF100+Reverse Shooter X.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
EDF 5 will be on steam at some point, have faith friend.

Played more Iron Rain in splitscreen, had more complicated feelings about it:

First off, swords are cool. The full charge attack synergizes with the Jet Lifter really well, you get a decent chunk of energy back while the attack animation locks you in the air and you can stay airborne for ages. Still not a huge fan of being punished for overheats though. I played EDF5 at the weekend with my non-believer brother and he asked of the wing diver 'where are the normal weapons?' so once again I see where the game is coming from with some of the changes they made to the classes, even If I don't like them.

Finally realized you need to buy health increases, had previously overlooked the option thinking it was just the usual edf armour limiter (which I guess it still functions as?).

I know it's an EDF staple, but the event camera's implementation here feels really bad. I never had to turn it off in EDF 5 for example, but I can't trust IR not to point my view up into the sky ten seconds after spawning a group of one hit kill mantises in front of me.

The flying drones are a real pain and not fun to fight at all. They're worse than the ones in IA. They very rarely actually move towards the player so if you don't have a decent mid range weapon with a fast travel speed dealing with them is a huge slog. I played the base defence mission and clearing them all out at the end took aaaaaages because we had both brought along swords and a freshly unlocked rocket launcher that turned out to act more like a plasma launcher and it's slight arc and ponderous projectile velocity really sucked for dealing with them. tried flying up and using the sword but they gave them a fun teleport that they like to do the moment you unleash the charge attack. They also apparently pose very little threat to the player or the base they're meant to be attacking. They would be fine if they just closed the gap, I'd much rather fight a fast moving teleporting target in close quarters than a ponderous distant target that literally stops dead in its tracks to attack. very frustrating as this is exactly the issue the drones had in IA, why do western developers keep loving up this one enemy type?

Also a little annoyed that I ran across an unmarked solar panel deallie in the desert, assumed it was just part of the scenery, and only got the loading tool tip about destroying them for lots of money after the mission. Serves me right for not wantonly destroying property in an EDF game, but i was trying to fight a big robot at the time.

Story wise, it's not doing much for me yet. Fighting humans is an interesting wrinkle, although that one mission where you team up made me lol as we'd finished killing the last rebel on the map just before the ceasefire was called.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Framerate drops are like just another component of the HUD for me. If everything freezes for a moment you know, “oh poo poo a million dudes just spawned”.

It also lets you know how well you are doing at killing aliens. You don’t need a kill counter, when you fire off a mega rocket into a blob of aliens and the FPS hits the floor you can smile knowing that explosion vaporized so many monsters that the game can’t handle all the gibs.

In multiplayer also creates a new level of completion seeing who can throw out the most ridiculous poo poo and make the game run at 10 FPS for everyone.

I’m usually anal as gently caress on pc about maintaining a smooth framerate but for some reason I don’t mind fps cratering in edf at all (it’s because edf rules).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 17, 2019

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Framerate is a poor performance metric when we should trying to boost the game's APM - Ants Per Meter

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Anyone have tips as to how to find downed allies? The allies health bar seems to slide off the screen no matter which way I turn. Also is there a way to pick up allies without using an item? It sucks to fail a mission because I'm fumbling with the item selector as the respawn timer drains away.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I recently got EDF5 and I'm really digging the Air Raider. Recently got a grenadier mech and I'm..not really impressed with it though. It's so slow that any firepower it has feels offset by it. The spider tank thing seems way more useful, are all the mechs like this or did I just draw the short straw.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Nah, some of the later mechs are real good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Need a mod for every time the framerate takes a dive as you get swarmed with bugs, the "To be continued" theme from JoJo plays.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That doesn't sound compatible with my preferred strategy of Vulcan Hammer spam.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Zoig posted:

Honestly I remember hearing people complain that weapons were shared between classes but honestly I'm really happy with it. The only weapon class I find boring is assault rifles, because while other weird standouts in classes are stuff like "a shotgun with explosive shells that only detonate on ground impact" or "a railgun thats actually a shotgun with bouncing penetrating bullets and awful accuracy" the assault rifle just gets "the bouncy bullet gun" and "a .1% chance to do 10000 damage". Why would I choose to use that over a acid thrower or a gun that shoots a (temporarily) tiny sun or just a standard laser cannon, which I will never shut up about because shooting a laser as big as I am is still cool to me.
The weapon descriptions are pretty fun too. The A rank shotgun is basically, 'This thing is a hand-held battleship cannon, and can't be reloaded because it destroys the barrel after ten shots.' and it does up to 30k of damage assuming a solid hit. :gibs:

Definitely agree with assault rifles being lackluster. They might be good for dealing with rushes, but the reload times are just too drat long, especially when something like a railgun / energy thrower can do such a better job.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I recently got EDF5 and I'm really digging the Air Raider. Recently got a grenadier mech and I'm..not really impressed with it though. It's so slow that any firepower it has feels offset by it. The spider tank thing seems way more useful, are all the mechs like this or did I just draw the short straw.

There's multiple classes of Nyx with different relative performances. The Grenadier line of Nyxes are far and away the slowest and least capable of easily defending themselves against a rush but in exchange the explosion weapons on the shoulder cannons are some of the most horrifyingly destructive things in the game. It's a niche pick that is kind of useless in singleplayer because you don't have allies to screen for you and singleplayer enemies have much less hp than multiplayer enemies so rampant overkill is less valuable.

Nyxes in general are the best vehicles in the game but different variants are good at different stuff.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I've noticed a lot of laser rifles that say they penetrate through enemies don't seem to be working as intended. They only seem to be able to hit one enemy, which blocks the beam/shot. Is that supposed to be how it works?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

There's multiple classes of Nyx with different relative performances. The Grenadier line of Nyxes are far and away the slowest and least capable of easily defending themselves against a rush but in exchange the explosion weapons on the shoulder cannons are some of the most horrifyingly destructive things in the game. It's a niche pick that is kind of useless in singleplayer because you don't have allies to screen for you and singleplayer enemies have much less hp than multiplayer enemies so rampant overkill is less valuable.

Nyxes in general are the best vehicles in the game but different variants are good at different stuff.

The Nyxes are fun to use but the laser helicopter is hilarious to flail and try to snipe in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SoR Blaze posted:

I've noticed a lot of laser rifles that say they penetrate through enemies don't seem to be working as intended. They only seem to be able to hit one enemy, which blocks the beam/shot. Is that supposed to be how it works?
It seems like it will also make the shots not count as damage, but apply the damage visual effects on enemies in many circumstances.

"I'll bring the penetrating crescent laser to this tunnels map!... Hey why is this last ant covered in dozens of glowing slash marks but still alive?"

Or being in an open street and wondering "Just how far does 'penetration' actually count for?" when I don't seem to be killing groups of ants any faster on early hard Mode than an E rank assault rifle. It certainly penetrates, but maybe it's only allowed to penetrate through 1-3 enemies tops?

Given you have to PAY to unlock weapons now, it feels real strange that early hard mode drops have so many penalties rather than being "And now you get cool AND practical weapons!".

"A brand new minigun! The Exterminator MK1! This one can cause knockback to weak enemies!"
"It has a 10 second reload time."
"Don't worry, you unlocked the MK2 exterminator already! THIS one gets a 14 second reload time, AND (according to the description) you can't move while shooting it"
"Yeah uh... I'll just keep using this E rank Minigun then... It still kills Hard mode giant robots and won't take fencer five hours to reload."
"Oh, reload is your problem? Here's a real kickass minigun you can't reload at all. No reload means no reload times :pseudo:"

Hard mode utility items have been nice though. Oh hey, turrets well worth the money and weight? Yes please.

EDIT: vvv Oh thank god, I thought I was just loving something up with how I could chain Prowl zipline across half the map, but was constantly thwarted by wanting to climb something next to me.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 17, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Unlocked the Prowl Rider, it's a lot of fun. Second stage after unlocking it was a desert stage which was not suited to the class at all. Didn't bring a ranged weapon and spent 20 minutes trying to launch off drones in order to reach a transport ship that was just out of reach of the laser cannon I had equipped. finally blew it up only to have a second wave spawn and kill me. Next time I'll just quit out and change weapons lol.

Wish there wasn't a limit on the angle you can fire the grapple at, being able to launch yourself upwards would have helped a lot!

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
One thing I like about the new item system is that once I got maybe halfway through normal mode, I didn't have to worry so much about using a basic healing item or gun turret. I still think missions should reward more credits in general, but I'm glad that item use (outside of vehicles or satellite weapons and stuff like that) is a relatively small cost compared to rewards.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

As far as I can tell, sometimes penetration just doesn't go through corpses. Its really iffy, and i suspect there some hidden value or something going on, because while stuff like the shockwave gun thingy seem to stop on hitting a corpse, a railgun or a ramped laser cannon seem to penetrate just fine.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

I feel like Iron Rain's gearing up for microtransactions re: credits or something given that there's no good gameplay reason for making items cost money to use after you buy it. They're already restricted by count!

I guess it was some dumb attempt to justify carring a single Rebooter instead of a three-pack or something but c'mon, tweak the carry weight or something. Everything's already jostling for this single resource (that isn't even really doled out based on the difficulty of the mission, it's just linearly increased based on the level number).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Reallycoolname posted:

I feel like Iron Rain's gearing up for microtransactions re: credits or something given that there's no good gameplay reason for making items cost money to use after you buy it. They're already restricted by count!

I guess it was some dumb attempt to justify carring a single Rebooter instead of a three-pack or something but c'mon, tweak the carry weight or something. Everything's already jostling for this single resource (that isn't even really doled out based on the difficulty of the mission, it's just linearly increased based on the level number).
Yeah the way items eat into your winnings really feels at odds with how the system is intended to encourage players to experiment with items that were often left behind under the standard 2 weapon setup.

Having to budget for equipment is a mechanic that works in games like Thief and MGS5 but I'd have prefered it if either you didn't have to pay to unlock items or they punished use of them solely through the ranking system instead.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Reallycoolname posted:

(that isn't even really doled out based on the difficulty of the mission, it's just linearly increased based on the level number).

This is wrong, actually. The money you get is multiplied by the difficulty, but its not really noticeable until you get to the higher difficulty. For example, mission 35 gives about 23K on normal, 46K on hard, and 75K ish on Very hard. These are not hard numbers at all but difficulty does boost the payout and gems.

Now if you meant relative difficulty to the rest of the game, yeah, some missions are way easier and faster than others. Mission 35 and 41 in particular give very good payouts and drop about 1600 red and blue gems, respectively, while taking about 4-6 mins to actually do.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I'm actually really enjoying the game, but needing to do easy on most missions on my first playthrough and going back and trying to get normal and hard on early missions. My main complaint is that none of the weapons seem to be worth it. Every time I get a new weapon unlocked, it's worthless. Cool, I can do 7k damage, but I have a 70 second reload. Great :-|

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Thats normal for edf, at least 50% of the weapons are very niche, 10% are actually garbarge, with 5% of that at least being kinda funny, and 10% are supposed upgrades that fail to deliver on the good points of the previous guns, sometimes trying to fix a perceived weakness that never existed (looking at you, nile class laser cannons.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Going back to start collecting drones has been a real good idea though even only a little over halfway through the game. Results seem like Drone based unlocks are via grand total drones, not what level (or difficulty) you found them on.

One drone per level, except there are three in the practice target range. It gives you some solid 2 second reload E rank 2 Railgun early in (The first one is a no penetration, charge level = element type deal) which would be a huge leg up for anyone playing through the first time.

More importantly, there is a Heart with kissy lips emblem. Because every drone also unlocks a new armor emblem.

I forget if it was this thread that lead me to both these drat handy links. But they are a godsend.

EDIT: Drone unlocks just gave me cheap D rank laser rifle, that is basically a full auto rocket launcher :buddy: It was so worth backtracking for drones 30 missions in instead of 50+ missions in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niojTGfQmbQ

https://www65.atwiki.jp/edfir/sp/pages/26.html

Zoig posted:

Thats normal for edf, at least 50% of the weapons are very niche, 10% are actually garbarge, with 5% of that at least being kinda funny, and 10% are supposed upgrades that fail to deliver on the good points of the previous guns, sometimes trying to fix a perceived weakness that never existed (looking at you, nile class laser cannons.)
Well, see. Regular EDF, dipping into early hard mode is a huge leg up even for mid to late normal.

While Iron Rain, I switched back to normal because just sticking with normal started giving me more "practical upgrades" than early Hard mode. Sure they start shaping up later (Oh Abigail laser rifle, you are so great... Unless there are energy resistant silver ants), but Normal start to have some real winners compared to early Hard drops.

"Here is a C rank minigun that won't let you walk while firing it!"
"Thanks hard mode... Okay Normal, what have you got for me?"
"A D rank multi warhead launcher that deals 3k damage, so you can murder those tall spikey bastards without self damage"
"Hard mode here, we got a C rank Missile launcher! It deals 1.6k damage! (Try not to kill yourself with the 25 meter explosion"
"..."
"Normal again, D rank true auto homing energy Missile launcher. *Results in first proper horizon full of raining ant gibs thus far* It will also attack drones that are behind you."
"HEY now, Over here in HARD mode we've got the C rank Lucky Girl! It's a rocket launcher that deals 7,777 damage! (and also has accuracy Z, and takes 77 seconds to reload)."

Given the franchise, I wouldn't put it past the developers to front load a bunch of wild gimmicks on purpose in Hard mode. To avoid the tradition of Mission 1 hard giving you clearly superior gear than 3/4 of Normal.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 19, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

You do get some more useful stuff later with b rank gear, like a energy minigun with no windup and a full auto shotgun with 60 shots in the mag, or a ice thrower that has penetration.

Edit: actually, I recall that within the first 15 missions on hard I unlocked the Sonic pile plus railgun and the igazau laser cannon, and those carried me to the end so its not all bad. I also managed to find the upgraded version of that blaster rifle, which I am now going to try because it sounds like it might be pretty good.

And i just found out that you unlock the AA weapons by killing enough of a certain enemy type

https://www65.atwiki.jp/edfir/pages/69.html

It looks like there's one for every weapon model. Spoilers inside for certain enemy types, if you care.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 19, 2019

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Section Z posted:

Given the franchise, I wouldn't put it past the developers to front load a bunch of wild gimmicks on purpose in Hard mode. To avoid the tradition of Mission 1 hard giving you clearly superior gear than 3/4 of Normal.
I've been going through Hard mode after clearing normal in EDF5 and I was suprised how the weapon drop balance was very different from earlier titles. I didn't start finding weapons on par with the stuff that was dropping at the end of normal mode untill halfway through the mission list. The earlier missions were even dropping level 0-3 stuff.

Hard mode was clearly more balanced for players who want to jump in rather than as a new game plus for players who cleared the game on normal. The earlier stages were much easier than normal mode because I had a level 25 stardust cannon that one shot the frogs when they first turned up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

So in Iron Rain, they apparently named the researcher... Dr. Mengel?!

Yikes.

Is he at least equally stupid/hilarious as Ohara?