Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok, calling it for tonight in chapter 287.

I'm having fun consulting this chart to know where I'm standing at

Still got 12 years to catch up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Patrick Spens posted:

I reading back through again, and I forgot how crazy Guts was during Lost Children. Like dude, chill.

After Black Swordsman, Lost Children is Berserk epitomized. He's the perfect focus of rage, minus some of the angst in Swordsman. He has his weapon and knows how to use it and learns about self sacrifice along the way. We get to see real apostles and the development of his fighting style.

Meanwhile there's a fairly consistent thread regarding the nature of the world and the appeal of the Godhand, apostlehood, and how to "live".

I'm sure I'll have more positives when I start reading it again soon(ish).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Double post. Too bad.

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok, calling it for tonight in chapter 287.
Still got 12 years to catch up on.
In another 287min of reading, you'll be waiting 12mo per chapter like the rest of us.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok I'm confused as gently caress now

Chapter 283 Griffith is fighting the Emperor and uses the wind to dissipate his fog form and...he says it's a tie?

He says he can't kill him or take him prisoner because he can just turn to fog and escape, but the Emperor can't do this either cause if he escapes he loses his army...that sounds like a win-win situation for Griffith.

if the emperor escapes his army is going to get a ton of people killed on both sides but the real reason is that griffith wants the emperor to go home and do what he's about to do

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Double post. Too bad.

In another 287min of reading, you'll be waiting 12mo per chapter like the rest of us.

Eh. I've been a fan of Saint Seiya since I was 4 years old and I'm currently 28. Between the current arc and the last one there was almost an 18 years hiatus and the quality took a nosedive into concrete. The Saint Seiya fandom is lucky to get a crappy spin off anime every 5 years or so, and if it turns out to be a good one it gets cancelled after 2 seasons or has it's budget cut. The creator meanwhile has expressed multiple times that he doesn't give 2 shits about the franchise but also doesn't want anyone else taking up on it.

I am familiar with despair.

At least so far the quality of Berserk's manga, both storywise and graphically, is great.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 13, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
OMG

Local Skeleton DID ruin everything :lol:

Also, Chapter 306 felt incredibly short, does chapter length vary or is it because it had a lot of widespread pages?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 14, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

OMG

Local Skeleton DID ruin everything :lol:

Also, Chapter 306 felt incredibly short, does chapter length vary or is it because it had a lot of widespread pages?

They've been about 20 pages each since the first run in with Zodd wrapped up. That one's longer than average but it's almost all 2 page spreads.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

They've been about 20 pages each since the first run in with Zodd wrapped up. That one's longer than average but it's almost all 2 page spreads.

It's unfortunate humanity has yet to invent a method of containing even a single moment as epic as that in less than two pages

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Oh wow, I really don't like Isma at all. Throw her back into the ocean please

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You bring a tear to Isidro's eye with this angst.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Guts adult head in his skinny teen body is super distracting in this flashback chapter

I mean, I don't blame the author, since it was literal 20 years ago since Guts' teen chapters

Out of curiosity, how did the fans react back in the day about having a flashback segment during hiatus drought?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh wow, I really don't like Isma at all. Throw her back into the ocean please

You take that back right now, Isma is the best merrow

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Wait... did Chitch die?????

Please tell me she actually slipped into the astral plane and the world merging brings her back. That was the whole point of the flashback, right???

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That flash back is so drat good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 334 is so good, it really feels like it's building up the stage for the finale with a lot of characters coming back.

Luca :neckbeard:

I like how this could go anywhere from here. Either Griffith is revered as a god of salvation and Guts has to come and become a monster and public enemy number 1 in the eyes of the entire world

or

Griffith is just being a little poo poo as usual and gathering every single human in one spot to start the 3rd impact/nationwide human transmutation circle

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Double post: omg that was one of the most savage moments in a manga with rape horse and troll babies

2 chapters of everyone sucking Griffith's dick about how oh so amazing he is at everything to try and brainwash Rickert

REJECTED

and out of the back he skyrockets up the popularity ladder!

e:

OH HE SAYS SO HIMSELF

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 15, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

lezard_valeth posted:

Wait... did Chitch die?????

Please tell me she actually slipped into the astral plane and the world merging brings her back. That was the whole point of the flashback, right???

She's a childish spirit of a simple flower that would give up all she has even if it killed her. She doesn't exactly have anything to connect to nor that much power to give. Thankfully it was Guts she met and obsessed about and not an rear end in a top hat.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

lezard_valeth posted:

Double post: omg that was one of the most savage moments in a manga with rape horse and troll babies
The slap heard around the world. Probably one of the best moments.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Next chapter is April 26th, apparently.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

:holy:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

i like that the announcement shows griffith so i can properly temper my expectations

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The_White_Crane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhx8yVvmM5k

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hyped to see Griffith fight a troll army for twelve pages

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I'm thinking 5 chapters of Griffith, ending with a two-page spread of Elf Island and an announcement of another hiatus.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
He could cross over the ocean, with that latest development.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Elf ruler is totally a grown up Chitch! Please Miura, give me this at least!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

lezard_valeth posted:

2 chapters of everyone sucking Griffith's dick about how oh so amazing he is at everything to try and brainwash Rickert

REJECTED

and out of the back he skyrockets up the popularity ladder!

e:

OH HE SAYS SO HIMSELF

Rickert is so loving cool

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've wanted Silat to join the crew since I first read his chapters oh so many years ago.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
C'mon, dude. You know that Silat is already joining Rickert's army.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
On the Gut v Griffith confrontation, i can't help but be reminded of Akira.

"Nice going, setting yourself up as King of this trash heap."

Crabtree posted:

C'mon, dude. You know that Silat is already joining Rickert's army.

I do, and I'm so loving stoked. :allears:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

quote:

Th-this is bad Schierke! We went and woke up the final boss!

I wasn't too fond of Ivalera and thought she was completely irrelevant but this line bought me over.

e:
(spoilering this cause there's another person in the thread currently catching up)

gently caress SAKE WE WERE SO CLOSE

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 16, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Waiting to Exhale: Casca. I don't even give a poo poo if she remains a flower princess, give me back my lady killing machine.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Skimmed back. Looks like she just relived 3-5 years worth of trauma in a single instant. If that doesn't turn her back into a tricked out killing machine and rage beast that doesn't want to be touched, then I'm out of guesses.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
K, I'm finally caught up so I guess I'm in the same waiting boat :v: as everyone, but I'm not afraid cause I know that this will definitely be the year where we get regular monthly Berserk chapters for realright?

Anywho, I need to rest a bit, I'll probably make an effort post later with what I liked and what I didn't like

Should I bother at all with the movies and new animes? I've seen a couple of memes and scenes from the 2016 anime so I know that it's an eyesore, but does it at least fall in the category of "So Bad It's Good" or just bad?

The 2017 OP is really good and I've been replaying it every now and then while reading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-1TghelNQ

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The movies are okay, the new anime is garbage.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'd say welcome to the boat, but
we... we got off the boat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

and HunterXHunter got on the boat

The boat never leaves

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
THE HIATUS BOAT - YOU'LL DIE BEFORE THE ARC IS THROUGH.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I <3 Berserk: Eternal Sacrifice of The Boatless Mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Fun fact: The four arc's real title is Millennium Falcon. Which was changed when translated due to obvious copyright issues.