Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

brugroffil posted:

lol that's how you do sound isolation/insulation for recording studios and stuff. someone had some noisy shits and didn't want anyone to hear.

If I ever build, every bathroom will be wrapped in closed cell expanding foam on all six sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

There's a few DIY jobs around the house, their painting is just crap, they've used the wrong sort of paint and/or not bothered putting on more than one coat of paint.

Every room in my house. There is not a paint on Earth that covers in one coat. These assholes at Home Depot and Lowe's try to sell you the expensive paint then say it covers in one coat but it certainly does not. Maybe you won't get bleed through of a darker color, but you will get spots where the roller just doesn't get. Small flecks here and there. Or when you're cutting in you may get lines from the brush, especially with glossier paints.

Buy the regular paint, do two coats.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
my dream house has a hose, drain, and tile in every room

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

moist turtleneck posted:

my dream house has a hose, drain, and tile in every room

and a tape measure, and both kinds of screwdriver

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

JoshGuitar posted:

Fixed to reflect the reality of what happened to a semi-neighbor's grandma a few years ago. The house was nearly leveled.

Shame they're a grandparent, indicating they've already reproduced, or that would be a proper Darwin award.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really should have more flats and phils laying around

Oh also I want a cord reel in every room

Which I guess Grizzly doesn't make/offer anymore?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Has anyone ever seen like, a garden version of that? I’d really like to have one for my back deck to make leafblowing a bit easier, but the only power reels I’ve ever seen are intended for shop use, and are multicolored and stick perpendicularly out from the wall.

Getting an extension cord out with the leaf blower is a pain.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrYenko posted:

Has anyone ever seen like, a garden version of that? I’d really like to have one for my back deck to make leafblowing a bit easier, but the only power reels I’ve ever seen are intended for shop use, and are multicolored and stick perpendicularly out from the wall.

Did you know that you can buy a miracle product called "paint?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Iron Crowned posted:

Did you know that you can buy a miracle product called "paint?"

It’s Florida. The heat and humidity makes paint pop right off of plastic.

Also doesn’t fix the second part.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Potentially relevant to crappy construction once we find out the cause, but the cathedral at Notre Dame is burning to the ground at the moment

https://twitter.com/patrickgaley/status/1117848909877895171

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Javid posted:

Potentially relevant to crappy construction once we find out the cause, but the cathedral at Notre Dame is burning to the ground at the moment

Historically speaking, european cathedrals are Sisyphean monstrosities that have always wanted to catch fire/collapse onto choirs.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:rip: that spire

:smith:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Javid posted:

Worker smoking on the Job?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hopefully nothing more sinister, but if it is that, imagine being that worker, or that construction company's insurance agent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given the point of ignition is now possibly buried under thousands of tons of rubble, it's possible they'll never know who or what started the fire. There may be witnesses of course. And of course, safe practices should be such that a cigarette or whatever would be unable to cause this sort of fire, so it'd have to be a combination of bad mistakes by multiple people for that to happen.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:smith:

This is lovely.

At least there are thousands and thousands of photographs to help with reconstruction.

Also this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

H110Hawk posted:

The one true solution.

My parents bought a house off an estate that was lived in for decades by a heavy smoker. Had in servepro after moving out all the crap left behind to deep clean and repaint, basically doing their "smoke damage remediation", overnight the smoke smell was just gone. They did several coats of paint, but the base was thick kilz post scrub.

(The house had shocking amounts of bad construction, and they gained square feet when they knocked out the bathroom to find a second complete wall, window, etc after a few inches of gap. Someone at some point framed out a full new wall inside the bathroom, 2x4's, drywall, window, the works.)

They knew what they were buying going into it.

I wonder if that's what they did to the condo in my parents' association that housed a chain smoker on oxygen for several years. I used to cat sit for her, but even my constitution couldn't handle the sheer depth of the nicotine stench for more than the time it took to run in, dump some food and water into dishes, and run back out. She died last year and the place has since been re-sold. I always wondered if there was any way to kill off smoker stench. I've had to work on computers from smoking homes that were so horrific, I had to put fume extractors around them overnight before I could get close enough to do work. High proof rubbing alcohol and those blue shop paper towels could cut thru the physical gunk in a pinch, but good lord, I'd better have disposable gloves for that poo poo.

Also, as an art history student, watching Notre Dame burn today has been loving heartbreaking :smith:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I wonder if that's what they did to the condo in my parents' association that housed a chain smoker on oxygen for several years. I used to cat sit for her, but even my constitution couldn't handle the sheer depth of the nicotine stench for more than the time it took to run in, dump some food and water into dishes, and run back out. She died last year and the place has since been re-sold. I always wondered if there was any way to kill off smoker stench. I've had to work on computers from smoking homes that were so horrific, I had to put fume extractors around them overnight before I could get close enough to do work. High proof rubbing alcohol and those blue shop paper towels could cut thru the physical gunk in a pinch, but good lord, I'd better have disposable gloves for that poo poo.

Also, as an art history student, watching Notre Dame burn today has been loving heartbreaking :smith:

Yeah nicotine is also a contact poison, so gloves were probably not a bad idea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

turns out all the art is okay :unsmith:

the statues on the spire were even taken off a few days before hand

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

moist turtleneck posted:

I really should have more flats and phils laying around

Oh also I want a cord reel in every room

Which I guess Grizzly doesn't make/offer anymore?

weird thing from work:

OSHA came through and nixed a lot of power strips that were around the shop.

OK. I kinda get it.

But we have areas where there is no good spot to mount an outlet, and they need some power access.

The OSHA-approved solution is apparently a a dangling flex cable with a loving metal box on the end of it, at just about 6' off the ground, ready to whack you in the loving temple.

I wasn't directly involved in that whole mess and only did some cursory research but I was thinking there had to be some loving better way. I thought of those cable reels and figured there has to be SOME kind that is OSHA approved but our facilities people were lazy or cheap or something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

the statues on the spire were even taken off a few days before hand

:thunk:

I'm sure the insurance investigators will find that an interesting coincidence.

I'm not being serious, but poo poo like that is what trips up people who commit insurance fraud via arson if my true crime shows are to be believed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not being serious, but poo poo like that is what trips up people who commit insurance fraud via arson if my true crime shows are to be believed

If the caretaker boards his cat, you know something is up.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Proteus Jones posted:

They'd apparently been removed as a safety precaution during the renovation, to keep them from either being damaged by it or from them dropping on someone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

The OSHA-approved solution is apparently a a dangling flex cable with a loving metal box on the end of it, at just about 6' off the ground, ready to whack you in the loving temple.

I wasn't directly involved in that whole mess and only did some cursory research but I was thinking there had to be some loving better way. I thought of those cable reels and figured there has to be SOME kind that is OSHA approved but our facilities people were lazy or cheap or something.

You can get ones which are on a reel and hang well above head height and just pull down when you need them.

But, whenever you have something plugged in you still have to deal with walking into the drat thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

If it was that bad, they may have just opted to re-drywall it like you would a black mould case.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cat sit

art history student,

Story checks out.

Too soon?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ceiling fan posted:

Gay satanic spider page needs more crappy construction.

Hmm... xanthines (including caffeine) are toxic to most insects and arthropods. That spider was probably dying instead of getting the shakes :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

wesleywillis posted:

Story checks out.

Too soon?

:golfclap: No, no, that was on point.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Bad Munki posted:

and a tape measure, and both kinds of screwdriver

I keep a 6-way screwdriver in most rooms in my house, or at least within a short walk. You can find them for like $4 at local hardware stores a lot of the time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

shortspecialbus posted:

I keep a 6-way screwdriver in most rooms in my house, or at least within a short walk. You can find them for like $4 at local hardware stores a lot of the time.

No Robertson on that. :colbert:

Why the actual gently caress does Canada have to have its own special screw?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Why the actual gently caress are all the screws in America either lovely or lovely? Square, hex, and star-drive screws are vastly superior to the stuff that's actually available.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No Robertson on that. :colbert:

Because it's the best and the rest of the world is simply wrong to have not adopted it. The jerk who invented it shooting him self in the foot with overzelous patent enforcement has nothing to do with the lack of widespread adoption of course.

Fun fact: My friend got a bunch of art into a big showing in Paris and it was shipped over in some wooden crates. The french authorities refused to even attempt to open it because of the strange canadian screws. She said it was just a couple screws to keep the hinged lid in place, just pry it up it's fine, but they refused to take any liability. To get her art into the showing in time she had to emergency ship a canadian screw driver to the gallery so they could open it in time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shortspecialbus posted:

My late father-in-law introduced me to those, and they are very handy. Particularly if you're working with electrical stuff, which could randomly be phillips or flathead at any time. There's also a $FREE Harbor Freight coupon for a similar one fairly often. The HF one is decent - I have a couple.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why the actual gently caress are all the screws in America either lovely or lovely? Square, hex, and star-drive screws are vastly superior to the stuff that's actually available.

Probably partially because it's annoying to have 5 or 6 different size drivers for various screw sizes? For the most-used screw/bolt sizes, there are 2 or 3 different Phillips sizes, and ditto for common (flat) head. And they're easy to tell apart, mostly.

Baronjutter posted:

Because it's the best and the rest of the world is simply wrong to have not adopted it. The jerk who invented it shooting him self in the foot with overzelous patent enforcement has nothing to do with the lack of widespread adoption of course.

JIS cross-head supremacy. (I actually bought my first JIS #2 and #3 bits a couple of months ago.)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Hey, we have Spax!

Anyone? Spax?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Trabant posted:

Hey, we have Spax!

Anyone? Spax?

Spax! Yay, yet another random drill bit rolling lose in my drill case.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All three of these kinds of screws are widely available in America.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Squares feel like they strip the bits fast.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

All three of these kinds of screws are widely available in America.

Yeah, but they're not the default. I resent every time I get a very-specifically-sized machine screw with a Phillips head made from awful soft steel, and the application requires significant torque to get it into place.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Yeah, but they're not the default. I resent every time I get a very-specifically-sized machine screw with a Phillips head made from awful soft steel, and the application requires significant torque to get it into place.

Sub-IKEA DIY furniture with soft hex bolts :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Darchangel posted:

There's also a $FREE Harbor Freight coupon for a similar one fairly often. The HF one is decent - I have a couple.

drat right. I have a bunch of different screwdrivers ranging from basic to pretty decent models; guess which one I end up using most of the time? Good ol' HF multi driver, because it's just too drat convenient.

I always save my HF flyer coupons in the car and if I buy something else, I'm sure to use one for the free screwdriver, flashlight, or tape measure. These things are handy to have in multiple locations scattered in the house/garage/shed.