Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

nielsm posted:

I guess the question is, how much material does it take to build 2-3 km of level 4 belt? And would you rather build that belt than setting up one or a few trucks?

1 material per 2 meters of belt. 1km is 500 of whatever. 2-3km would be 1000-1500. It's also a one time layout for potentially infinite reward.

As I've said elsewhere, I refuse to use tractors/trucks until they get Factorio-style wait conditions at each end, and don't just blindly follow the route forever wasting fuel with incomplete loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Naylenas posted:

I evened out the terrain along the route and set up a truck to bring my my oil from 1800m away. It did two deliveries and then disappeared from the track and now there's a vehicle icon on my compass way far away. Hassle.

run in the opposite direction of where your truck is - if they ever bug out, flip, or otherwise get stuck, they will magically teleport back to where they're supposed to be once you're far enough away. Trucks are a bit of hassle to set up but they are Cool and the game gives you a little grace in their operation. Hopefully trains can overcome those shortcomings.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ambaire posted:

1 material per 2 meters of belt. 1km is 500 of whatever. 2-3km would be 1000-1500. It's also a one time layout for potentially infinite reward.

As I've said elsewhere, I refuse to use tractors/trucks until they get Factorio-style wait conditions at each end, and don't just blindly follow the route forever wasting fuel with incomplete loads.

Yeah, with routes being static (deposits not depleting, etc.), and Satisfactory vehicles being so limited in what they can do with respect to logic, belts make more sense to me.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Trucks and Tractors are cool, belts are for math nerds :cool:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My truck kept getting stuck on a rock even when I edited the route to go around the rock so I trashed it and built a giant belt. Trucks are inherently cooler than belts though, I just wish I could set them to a) have a horn and b) honk the horn when they get to the truck station.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
They do have a horn, but you gotta toot it yourself (click)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. Just discovered this lovely problem a few minutes ago: https://old.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/bd0bqu/satisfactory_questions_site_has_a_huge_security/

Satisfactory questions site has a huge security problem with changing your email address posted:

I went to change my email address for my https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/questions account for reasons, and it sent a confirmation email to the NEW email address, and not the OLD one.

If you don't know why this is a security problem, let me go over a hypothetical scenario: You set up an account with johndoe@email.com. Hacker Jane Doe hacks in, changes the email account to janedoe@email.com. You do not get any notification of this change, and Jane can confirm it, and you still do not get any notification. Jane has just freely hijacked your account.

TLDR: if a hacker manages to hack an account on that site, they can take it over with no problem at all.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

It's ... literally a webpage for asking questions about Satisfactory and posting answers. If somebody hijacks your account for that, nothing of value is lost.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cobbsprite posted:

It's ... literally a webpage for asking questions about Satisfactory and posting answers. If somebody hijacks your account for that, nothing of value is lost.

Also, a hacker already need to have your password to do anything. Sure, it would be nice if they sent a mail to your old address too, but it's not world ending.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Yeah at worst this is one for the annals of coding horrors, nothing to get your knickers in a twist over.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It could become an issue if they expand the account features to anything meaningful, or reuse the code elsewhere, but on its own it's not a big deal

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, I feel like there was a tipping point while trying to keep 100% production on my Frames factory where I wasn't paying enough attention and my iron production grinded to a halt. My conveyors went totally dry, I'm pretty sure I put a few too many factories on the line without expanding my smelting capabilities. I'm basically trying to squeeze in an extra smelter or two where there used to be only one originally, as well as boosting production with slugs now that I have free time while this stuff assembles.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I love exploring the map, but unfortunately I've gotten to the point where I've gotten a good grasp on pretty much all of it. I started a game in the southern plains just to figure out how things work and did my real run through in the northern woods until I got to the end of the tech tree. A while later I felt like having another go at it and so started in the desert area and immediately recognized everything. I'd explored it all in my northern forest run. I looked up a map and realized I'd explored everything there's nothing completely fresh and unexplored left in the game for me!

Oh well, with the knowledge I have I at least know the cool places to start over. The absolute craziest best start location that kind of trivializes the whole logistics game is heading to the western iron in the northern forest start. I didn't start a base there myself, but christ, it's got everything, even coal, right next to a ton of pure iron veins. And it's on a cliff so you can build out your factory over the void with foundations. As someone who spent most of this game in the bottom of a valley believe me, that's a huge advantage. Even oil is close enough that conveyors are viable, though there's a cliff to deal with.

I honestly wouldn't start there because it'd feel way too much like easy mode compared to what I've been through. But it's a great start for truck-haters who want to belt everything because it'd be really easy to get pretty much everything there.

But if you're not looking for the most OP start, but the most interesting one, I liked the iron patch I found in the jungle on the western coast, to the west of the southern plains, just to the north of the massive ocean waterfall. It's got dark green vegetation and white sand with a wide beach and lots of cliffs and tall rock formations to keep things interesting. It's not especially close to any landing site, but it's a picturesque spot and has an abundance of resources just far enough away that setting up truck lines would be satisfying. I think I'll start a new factory there whenever I have the gumption to start over.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 15, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just started my 4th run and think I've ended up at the exact start point you mention. Got 4 iron veins being mined so I've been able to get my screw production rolling super early and have foundations stretching out into the void. Building in the air very much seems like the way to go while I'm still more focused on efficiency and layout than aesthetics.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Some of the sulfur, uranium, and quartz deposits are pretty hidden or in odd spots on the map. Gonna be interesting trying to get them back to base from underground tunnels.

I also really like exploring the map. Finding slugs and hard drives from crashed drones that unlock alternate recipes is a rewarding find.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Hunting hard drives sucks if you're seeking a particular recipe since you cant ping for them or use the sensor thingie. Exploring organically is decent fun, especially if you got exolegs, but hunting is a chore, and route-finding for trucks sucks too since there are cliffs and walls everywhere. There are quite a few pathes/nodes that require ugly ramps be built to access (bridges can be made pretty decent looking at least)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's supposed to be a scanner mode for hdds later.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Evilreaver posted:

Hunting hard drives sucks if you're seeking a particular recipe since you cant ping for them or use the sensor thingie. Exploring organically is decent fun, especially if you got exolegs, but hunting is a chore, and route-finding for trucks sucks too since there are cliffs and walls everywhere. There are quite a few pathes/nodes that require ugly ramps be built to access (bridges can be made pretty decent looking at least)

You can save scum the hdds, the result of the analysis picks the recipe at random when you open it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

One of the thoughts I had yesterday was that I really want to be able to build roads. I didn't even know hard drives were a thing, I found a wreck yesterday but just grabbed a bunch of the resources scattered around it.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I know it's not the point of the game, but I really want some more diverse weapons and cosmetic tiles so that I can slap together a deathmatch arena to pvp my buddies in multiplayer while things craft.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You're (probably) in luck since mods are on the roadmap.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm installing the No Enemies/No Spiders mod the instant it comes out because the pixelated kittens are loving annoying.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Just play with the kitten graphics turned off, like I do. Then freak out whenever you see something move in a valley/cavern, like I do.

Something about the way those dang spiders move unnerves me like no other spider in any game before, even real spiders don't generally bug me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Propitious Jerk posted:

Just play with the kitten graphics turned off, like I do. Then freak out whenever you see something move in a valley/cavern, like I do.

Something about the way those dang spiders move unnerves me like no other spider in any game before, even real spiders don't genrally bug me.

Yeah I straight lose sleep if I have to deal with spiders in first/third person games. I started with the intent of not turning it on but the instant I first saw a spider and started getting shakes I immediately went in and turned it on.

That's part of why I was pissed off to see that arachnophobia mode which in other games has been straight up spider removal just covers them over with this sarcastic kitten poo poo. I also feel you could not have them in the game and lose absolutely nothing since the other enemy types are scattered around spider areas as well.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Just be a fearless god, like me. Then you can play whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The spiders are so stupid and annoying and out of place like they are in all video games that have arbitrary spiders. I was so excited for this game and now I don't really want to play it. Kudos to them for the arachnophobia mode but I'm done supporting games that just shove them in for no reason other than to be scary.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i didn't realize spiders were such a contentious game enemy

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i didn't realize spiders were such a contentious game enemy

Spiders really gently caress some people up, myself included. There's a mod for System Shock 2 (that I think was rolled into the rerelease as an option) that straight up removed the spiders from the game. They're the laziest most low effort way to inject scares into your game, which this game doesn't need because getting caught off guard by a Fluffhog is scary enough.

Also with all the weird and cool alien creatures around it just feels weird to have standard videogame spiders around for seemingly no reason. I'm not trying to say this is some grand game breaking issue, it's just an annoying thing that doesn't need to exist.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

spiders are cool and spiders in video games are cool

if it really disturbs you that's why arachnaphobia mode exists, they're literally putting in a checkbox that says "take away the thing I don't like" and you're still saying that the thing you don't like is forcing you to take a principled stand to not buy the thing? c'mon

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Taffer posted:

if it really disturbs you that's why arachnaphobia mode exists, they're literally putting in a checkbox that says "take away the thing I don't like"
Firstly I have the issue with their implementation of that mode, the pixellated kittens just look dumb and annoying when you could just have that checkbox stop spiders from spawning full stop and you'd functionally lose nothing.

Taffer posted:

and you're still saying that the thing you don't like is forcing you to take a principled stand to not buy the thing? c'mon
Secondly no-one is saying that. I even explicitly clarified I was not saying that in my last post.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Naylenas posted:

I evened out the terrain along the route
Wait... this game has terraforming? Or do you just mean you deforested?

Last time I played this game was a couple days after the early access release and all the core design decisions I don't agree with just kept piling up but I can't really suggest many fixes because they're all "this is how to make the game more like Factorio." I don't know why but playing this game just feels way more tedious than Factorio ever did and posting anything on their suggestions website feels yet-more tedious because the entire thing is run by popular vote. How should I refresh my view on the game such that I'll want to jump back in? If they added terraforming I know that'd help but they can't even build the wall/foundation dimensions to match the length/width/height of basic machinery so I feel like there will never be a point where my typical grid-perfect OCD will be satiated.

And I'd love to list all the gripes I have but I really don't want to poo poo on the game, I just want it to be fantastic. Or at the very least... satisfa...:suicide:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 17, 2019

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

njsykora posted:

Firstly I have the issue with their implementation of that mode, the pixellated kittens just look dumb and annoying when you could just have that checkbox stop spiders from spawning full stop and you'd functionally lose nothing.

There are a few large spiders that guard several of the purple power slugs, just straight removing them would let people just cheese past them.

Pixelated cat heads are also funny.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Last time I played this game was a couple days after the early access release and all the core design decisions I don't agree with just kept piling up but I can't really suggest many fixes because they're all "this is how to make the game more like Factorio." I don't know why but playing this game just feels way more tedious than Factorio ever did and posting anything on their suggestions website feels yet-more tedious because the entire thing is run by popular vote. How should I refresh my view on the game such that I'll want to jump back in? If they added terraforming I know that'd help but they can't even build the wall/foundation dimensions to match the length/width/height of basic machinery so I feel like there will never be a point where my typical grid-perfect OCD will be satiated.

And I'd love to list all the gripes I have but I really don't want to poo poo on the game, I just want it to be fantastic. Or at the very least... satisfa...:suicide:

I'd suggest just embracing a sloppy factory. Fit your machines with the contours of the ground and entangle them in belt spaghetti.
You're much less at odds with the environment in this game and you don't need to worry about making your construction defensible, so experiment with different factory styles that don't work well in Factorio.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Or build giant towers that are hilariously inefficient but immensely satisfying to make work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DaveKap posted:

I'm guessing build concrete blocks over it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Taffer posted:

spiders are cool and spiders in video games are cool

if it really disturbs you that's why arachnaphobia mode exists, they're literally putting in a checkbox that says "take away the thing I don't like" and you're still saying that the thing you don't like is forcing you to take a principled stand to not buy the thing? c'mon

They wouldn't have had to put in an arachnophobia mode in the first place if they didn't put spiders into this game where every single other enemy is a unique looking alien. The arachnophobia mode WOULD be nice if the inclusion of the enemy was at all warranted, but it's not, there's no webs or eggs or anything that even remotely says "spiders belong here in this world". They're just there to be a cheap way to make specific areas scary, same as 99% of games that include them as an enemy type.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The stingers aren't actually spiders, just spidery enough. They're more like the poison headcrabs in Half Life 2.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CJacobs posted:

They wouldn't have had to put in an arachnophobia mode in the first place if they didn't put spiders into this game where every single other enemy is a unique looking alien. The arachnophobia mode WOULD be nice if the inclusion of the enemy was at all warranted, but it's not, there's no webs or eggs or anything that even remotely says "spiders belong here in this world". They're just there to be a cheap way to make specific areas scary, same as 99% of games that include them as an enemy type.

But they're not spiders. They walk on 4 legs and only have 6 limbs total.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would argue that's even worse because it's pretty clear what they're supposed to be evocative of, yet they're not unique enough to not just be considered the same as the thing that inspired them.

edit: I do concede that I was being hyperbolic when I called them Just Spiders, though. It's not like Bloodborne or EDF where they really are just big spiders except in a video game and room sized.

My point is that the developers clearly know very well that this one enemy sticks out among the rest of them as a potential problem and yet they did not go back to the drawing board on it because it fulfills the simple niche it's supposed to: It pops up out of nowhere, crawls on walls, it's almost silent, it runs right at you and screeches in dark areas and it comes by the dozen. It's a video game spider enemy and that's all video game spiders ever do. Effective within that niche, sure, but far too cheap to give them any points for creativity.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

nielsm posted:

I'm guessing build concrete blocks over it.

It frustrates me that vehicles bounce around when crossing over foundation borders. I hope they either fix that or add proper paving that doesn't have the issue.