Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Karmine posted:

Anyone who died in battle at Castle Black got burned right? So that kinda eliminates Ollie and Ygritte. The correct answer is Zombie Ned.

Catlyn Stark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Walrus posted:

wait grrm has been hinting WoW is done???? ya loving right.

Piss tape book six is real

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

ol qwerty bastard posted:

When you think about how Bran can see the future and how this makes him potentially an unimaginably valuable military asset, it's kind of hilarious they just let him sit outside in his wheelchair waiting to say hi to a guy who tried to kill him the last time they met. Like goddamn at least have some guards around him.

I enjoyed the episode though. All the setup and meet-and-greets kind of had to happen here so that poo poo can go down for the rest of the season, and it's honestly fun seeing characters interact with each other after we've watched them develop for seven seasons.

Well, it doesn't look like Winterfell is ADA compliant.

:colbert:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
During the last battle, we see the screen split three ways as Varys, Grey Worm, and Theon all get kicked in the crotch simultaneously. They each look up, smirk, and strike back.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Walrus posted:

wait grrm has been hinting WoW is done???? ya loving right.

Subscriber counts have been going down but I wouldn't go that far.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

During the last battle, we see the screen split three ways as Varys, Grey Worm, and Theon all get kicked in the crotch simultaneously. They each look up, smirk, and strike back.

Representing wisdom, power and courage, they interlock to form the triforce

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Remember when Dondric's priest was killed by a zombie bear after being in the show for four seasons and not doing anything besides showing off his power?

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

The Walrus posted:

I am more and more certain that this is going to end in at best a pyrrhic victory for humanity. if theres been one theme that the show has tried to convey as much as the books its that all the political scheming is for nothing when held up against the threat from the north. it would make no thematic or story structure sense for the walkers to be defeated at winterfell in episode 3 and then 3 episodes of human on human conflict.

kings landing will fall in episode 4 or 5, last stand on pike shortly thereafter. chekov's iron islands is apt for the way they were handled in ep 1.

I am hoping that they actually show consequences for people fighting over the stupid throne rather than preparing for winter, it doesn’t seem like there’s really time to do that well. Even in this episode, Sansa brought up the really pertinent question of how everyone’s going to eat and then they just shrugged it off like, eh doesn’t really matter.

I would honestly kind of love if Yara is the Queen of Westeros by default in the end, and they become a pirate nation since all that’s left is a war-torn wasteland. And all Targaryens are finally dead forever so we no longer have to deal with all their bullshit.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Lowly posted:

I am hoping that they actually show consequences for people fighting over the stupid throne rather than preparing for winter, it doesn’t seem like there’s really time to do that well. Even in this episode, Sansa brought up the really pertinent question of how everyone’s going to eat and then they just shrugged it off like, eh doesn’t really matter.

In the context of the show, it really doesn't. We're never going to see the Unsullied getting to eat while the poor northerners have empty bowls. The show is just going through the motions to set up conflict and depth but don't think about it for even a second.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dazerbeams posted:

In the context of the show, it really doesn't. We're never going to see the Unsullied getting to eat while the poor northerners have empty bowls. The show is just going through the motions to set up conflict and depth but don't think about it for even a second.

The Hound seeing the father and daughter he robbed dead from starvation was a pretty clear omen, I thought.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lowly posted:

It was all so Dany could drop her smug "dragons eat whatever they want" line.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

I am more and more certain that this is going to end in at best a pyrrhic victory for humanity. if theres been one theme that the show has tried to convey as much as the books its that all the political scheming is for nothing when held up against the threat from the north. it would make no thematic or story structure sense for the walkers to be defeated at winterfell in episode 3 and then 3 episodes of human on human conflict.

kings landing will fall in episode 4 or 5, last stand on pike shortly thereafter. chekov's iron islands is apt for the way they were handled in ep 1.

One, maybe in the books but the show is dumb and will end with happy ever after.

Two, even if everybody in westeros gets totally smoked by others / white walkers, humanity will be FINE. They haven't really touched on it much but there's tons more land to the east, Westeros is basically just Europe. You can blow up all of Europe and Humanity would not go extinct. Most people don't give a poo poo.

Heck, its implied that the long winter didn't even really affect the people living out East. They don't give a gently caress about any of this.

Although that kinda raises the question of why the white walkers haven't built boats yet? Or just freeze the sea and walk on it. You could easily go around the wall if you could... ah whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

No Wave posted:

Remember when Dondric's priest was killed by a zombie bear after being in the show for four seasons and not doing anything besides showing off his power?

I really thought Dondarrion's days were numbered after his magic rez cleric died, but ... nah he's fine I guess? lol this show. The writers just can't keep up with all the balls in the air.

Lowly posted:

I would honestly kind of love if Yara is the Queen of Westeros by default in the end, and they become a pirate nation since all that’s left is a war-torn wasteland. And all Targaryens are finally dead forever so we no longer have to deal with all their bullshit.

Yeah I liked that Sansa made a point of that, but it did seem to just be :shrug: ignored because who cares about supply lines when there's dragons and zombies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mike N Eich posted:

This is 100% right. The show is really good at fleshing out characters that are dull and one note in the books (Davos is way funnier in the show for example, Cersei has more dimensions, Etc) but for some reason the only guy the books *try* to make funny, Dolorous Edd, is anti-funny in the show. It’s weird.

Cersei is so incredibly dumbed down for the show. All the Lannisters are.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

If the white walkers can't swim (or walk underwater) how did they attach chains to the dragon they shot down

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I really thought Dondarrion's days were numbered after his magic rez cleric died, but ... nah he's fine I guess? lol this show. The writers just can't keep up with all the balls in the air.

You know he needs to die before he gets resurrected right? Like, some of the criticism you write here is the dumbest poo poo I've read in years, and I read the Dave Hill spoilers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheRat posted:

You know he needs to die before he gets resurrected right? Like, some of the criticism you write here is the dumbest poo poo I've read in years, and I read the Dave Hill spoilers.

Yeah Beric is only going away if a. he dies or b. he gives his 'fire' to bring someone else back.

I'm assuming option a will happen soon.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Midgetskydiver posted:

You are going to be disappointed.
FUUUUUCK

If there's not going to be any good explanations then I want things to go completely batshit. I don't want any of the major theories to be true or any of the foreshadowing to add up to anything because it feels like it's all just building up to a wet fart.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

esperterra posted:

Yeah Beric is only going away if a. he dies or b. he gives his 'fire' to bring someone else back.

I'm assuming option a will happen soon.

I'm assuming option b because that's what he does in the books, but both are equally possibly I suppose.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was all so Dany could drop her smug "dragons eat whatever they want" line.

Dany to Sansa: *responds to legitimate concerns with smug quips*

Later, Dany to Jon: "Why doesn't your sister respect me as Queen?" :confused:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TraderStav posted:

So who's giffing Mac getting shot? Dying to see that.

FINE!
Edit: Now with sound.

https://giant.gfycat.com/EmotionalDentalDinosaur.webm

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 15, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lowly posted:

I didnt think it was so much shrugged off as just ignored because theres not much they can do. Foreshadowing for the the fact that they are well and truly hosed. I am not sure how bad things will really get but I bet Cersei specifically gets killed by white walkers. the dramatic irony is there since season 1 on that one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

One, maybe in the books but the show is dumb and will end with happy ever after.

Two, even if everybody in westeros gets totally smoked by others / white walkers, humanity will be FINE. They haven't really touched on it much but there's tons more land to the east, Westeros is basically just Europe. You can blow up all of Europe and Humanity would not go extinct. Most people don't give a poo poo.

Heck, its implied that the long winter didn't even really affect the people living out East. They don't give a gently caress about any of this.

Although that kinda raises the question of why the white walkers haven't built boats yet? Or just freeze the sea and walk on it. You could easily go around the wall if you could... ah whatever.

They were created to protect the children of the forest. Even if that part didn’t go exactly right, they may have no interest in anything other than killing humans on Westeros. They could be the cause of the weird seasons there and the reason why everywhere else has regular seasons.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

:golfclap:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Actually now I'm hoping that the Night King just besieges Winterfell and waits out their food supplies. Not like it would take long and it's not like the White Walkers are in a hurry. He might even be able to ice javelin another dragon or two.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheRat posted:

I'm assuming option b because that's what he does in the books, but both are equally possibly I suppose.

If D&D gave any fucks about what Beric does in the book he'd be gone and we'd have Stoneheart by now !!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think they’re conflating the old nan stories with what’s actually presented in the books. The show doesn’t feature too many of the stories because old Nan’s actress died before season 2 started filming.

It’s not like the spiral is out of character for the white walkers, they’ve been doing that since the first scene of the show. It’s probably some compulsive act considering the spiral was some sort of holy symbol to the children of the forest.

I think it's mostly a gently caress you to the children of the forest, a perversion of their holy symbols. They just don't care that they're all dead and the northerners don't really know what they mean though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A Typical Goon posted:

I think Bran was referring to Sam there, so he seems to be using his power to see the future to exclusively show up at convenient times to creep out characters he's interacted with previously

loving Bran

That's what I thought too at first. But he's literally in the same spot when Jaime shows up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The speculation on The Others having their own society/etc in the books is also partially based on GRRM deadass saying we'll be seeing further beyond the wall than ever before, and that they are more than they seem in Winds. A lot of people think this may mean a POV chapter from one of The Others or something similar.

Except Winds ain't coming out.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You'd think that a guy who can see the future would be able to determine arrival time.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I’d rather be impressed that it actually comes out rather than being disappointed it doesn’t. I’ve no faith left in the man.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol have you had that avatar since 2001? respect.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Everyone talking about happy endings and bad endings, no one considers that it might resolve nothing and just end in the middle because people love a mystery and anything that builds discussion.

Or a cliffhanger to be resolved in a movie sequel.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

As much as I enjoy this stupid rear end show I still think it’s at its funniest when it tries to sell Sansa as some kind of mastermind genius. I about died when Arya declared her the “smartest person she knows.”

The only character who consistently makes worse decisions than her is Theon, Tyrion is catching up quickly though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Everyone talking about happy endings and bad endings, no one considers that it might resolve nothing and just end in the middle because people love a mystery and anything that builds discussion.

My bet for an ending is a brokered peace deal.

A huge part of Game of Thrones is subverting fantasy tropes and there is no bigger fantasy trope than the cataclysmic battle between Good and Evil with The Good Guys triumphant.

If anything I would guess it is a reestablishment of the status quo. The wall rebuilt and a DMZ between humans and Others.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I saw an interview with an actor earlier today, not entirely sure but I think it was John Bradley, and he said "the one thing I can say for sure is that the show does have an actual ending".

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

TheRat posted:

I saw an interview with an actor earlier today, not entirely sure but I think it was John Bradley, and he said "the one thing I can say for sure is that the show does have an actual ending".

I think someone (maybe Gwendolyn Christie?) said the same thing, and that it would be "bittersweet".

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show added that prophecy to the House of the Undying scene where the throne is covered in ash and implied KL is decimated so I always assumed it would end w/ no throne for anyone to sit on anyway. Though leaks imply that may be a turn of events that happens for another reason if at all so :shrug:

Who loving knows if D&D even remembers adding that scene lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LeafyOrb posted:

As much as I enjoy this stupid rear end show I still think it’s at its funniest when it tries to sell Sansa as some kind of mastermind genius. I about died when Arya declared her the “smartest person she knows.”

The only character who consistently makes worse decisions than her is Theon, Tyrion is catching up quickly though.

To be fair though what other living person that Arya knows would be smarter at this point in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheRat posted:

Knowing the writers and their love of awful dramatic irony you know it’s going to be option B and it’s going to be Sandor that gets the fire.