Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

The last episode I remember watching before I stopped was the one where Maude died. I was already losing interest and that one, something about it just told me enough was enough and the simpsons were all dead also.

I cannot for the life of me remember that one. I remember ones after it and before it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

By the sound of it the writers put themselves through hell to make sure the show was funny (and they were probably just calling out the crazy internet fans) but the scene comes across kind of petty for a long running, super popular, smash hit series. That and the show has never been "free."

It's a very good episode about the entertainment industry though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Communist Walrus posted:

It looks bad even without taking the later seasons into account because it (deliberately?) misrepresents the business model of network TV. It's only "free" in the same sense that something like Facebook is free, where the company providing the service is making money off your use of their platform. I'm not going to go so far as to say the people who were making the Simpsons owe the viewers anything, but the show would not exist and those same people would not be getting paid if people did not watch their show, and to make it seem like they're providing you with entertainment out of the goodness of their hearts comes off like some weird martyr poo poo.

:yeah:

I love that episode but that line always rubs me the wrong way. You can really tell when the staff started to go on BBS and newsgroups.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

[...]or the episode that was literally the exact same as the jessica lovejoy episode except not as funny & with a different girl

Hey I think I remember that! Had a montage where "Ever Fallen In Love" by the Buzzcocks played, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Communist Walrus posted:

It looks bad even without taking the later seasons into account because it (deliberately?) misrepresents the business model of network TV. It's only "free" in the same sense that something like Facebook is free, where the company providing the service is making money off your use of their platform. I'm not going to go so far as to say the people who were making the Simpsons owe the viewers anything, but the show would not exist and those same people would not be getting paid if people did not watch their show, and to make it seem like they're providing you with entertainment out of the goodness of their hearts comes off like some weird martyr poo poo.

It's also real weird watching that episode on say a DVD copy of the season that you paid money for

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hits too close to home, eh Goons?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
yup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGTlcarqoQ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The last episode I remember watching before I stopped was the one where Maude died. I was already losing interest and that one, something about it just told me enough was enough and the simpsons were all dead also.

I don't even know what season that is, but that's a good cut-off point as it was kind of a weird and hosed up event in retrospect.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

They should periodically kill off each of the Simpsons characters until there are none left.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Did Roy ever get a full episode and how bad was it?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

this leaves out the best part, the fact that this was Homer's imagined ideal outcome. I love the semi-recurring gag where characters envision something stupid or terrible and perceive it as good and ideal.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I cannot for the life of me remember that one. I remember ones after it and before it

That's your brain trying to protect you.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I was checking out the episode list of seasons to figure out when I stopped watching, and Season 12 [ended May, 2001] is where it seems like I stopped.
Which makes sense 'cause there was a lot of cool poo poo going on in adult animation at the time.
You had shows like Futurama and Family Guy, both about to face one of their multiple cancellations, but still making solid episodes. I never really watched King of the Hill much myself, but at this point, it was right in the middle of its run. South Park was on FIRE, Scott Tenorman Must Die was released a few months after Simpson's Season 12 ended.
Then in September, Adult Swim was created, and shortly after something else happened.

Up until that point, the Simpsons was basically the only American adult animation game in town, and almost out of nowhere they were facing a ton of fierce competition

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first episode I remember hating was the Ricky Gervais one, although I hadn't seen everything before that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phlegmish posted:

I don't even know what season that is, but that's a good cut-off point as it was kind of a weird and hosed up event in retrospect.

Wasn’t that also the episode that started out with a big in-your-face joke about how it was written by IAN MAXTONE-GRAHAM? That seemed super off-tone to me and it seemed like something had broken.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at all the nerds unironically offended at their treatment of panel-attending nerds when Comic Book Guy has been on the show forever (also panel attending nerds deserve to be chastised, they had killed Tiny Toons with their sex-creepism only 2-3 years prior to this episode) and the Internet was still very much in its painful birthing stages (written in 96, aired in 97).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL at all the nerds unironically offended at their treatment of panel-attending nerds when Comic Book Guy has been on the show forever (also panel attending nerds deserve to be chastised, they had killed Tiny Toons with their sex-creepism only 2-3 years prior to this episode) and the Internet was still very much in its painful birthing stages (written in 96, aired in 97).

Not the same scene dumbass.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Atlas Hugged posted:

I was also a two-a-day Simpsons watcher. The first thing you have to realize is that in the late nineties and early aughts, the syndicated episodes were really only pulling from 1-12 with the majority being firmly in golden era territory.

Oh, for sure, I remember at 6pm every week night it was Simpsons reruns time, and when you're drawing from the first 12 years, the worst you could do is a season 1 episode, which as we know now, is nowhere near as bad as the Simpsons are now.

Slightly Absurd posted:

I was checking out the episode list of seasons to figure out when I stopped watching, and Season 12 [ended May, 2001] is where it seems like I stopped.
Which makes sense 'cause there was a lot of cool poo poo going on in adult animation at the time.
You had shows like Futurama and Family Guy, both about to face one of their multiple cancellations, but still making solid episodes. I never really watched King of the Hill much myself, but at this point, it was right in the middle of its run. South Park was on FIRE, Scott Tenorman Must Die was released a few months after Simpson's Season 12 ended.
Then in September, Adult Swim was created, and shortly after something else happened.

Up until that point, the Simpsons was basically the only American adult animation game in town, and almost out of nowhere they were facing a ton of fierce competition

This is a really good point, although it's not like The Simpsons were the only adult animation in town over the first 12 years, it's just that most other shows failed out after a season. There was a batch in the early 90's and then again around 1999 per Wikipedia

Who fondly remembers, Capital Critters, The Family Dog, Dilbert, Fish Police, Invasion America, The PJs, Baby Blues, Gary & Mike, or Sammy?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, for sure, I remember at 6pm every week night it was Simpsons reruns time, and when you're drawing from the first 12 years, the worst you could do is a season 1 episode, which as we know now, is nowhere near as bad as the Simpsons are now.

This is a really good point, although it's not like The Simpsons were the only adult animation in town over the first 12 years, it's just that most other shows failed out after a season. There was a batch in the early 90's and then again around 1999 per Wikipedia

Who fondly remembers, Capital Critters, The Family Dog, Dilbert, Fish Police, Invasion America, The PJs, Baby Blues, Gary & Mike, or Sammy?

I fondly remember a few of those from Treehouse of Horror gravestones.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Who fondly remembers, Capital Critters, The Family Dog, ... Fish Police

These in particular were all transparently me-tooisms created in the wake of the Simpsons.

Actually I think Family Dog may have been in production already when Simpsons mania hit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Jesus, I had totally forgotten about The PJs and Baby Blues until this post. I also just remembered that Futurama had a PJs reference that wasn't a joke about how the show was dead, bet that hasn't aged well.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I remember seeing Baby Blues on Adult Swim and going "Wait, when the hell did they make a Baby Blues show?" There was also a second season that was produced and never aired.

It was okay, from what I recall.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The PJs loving owned

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Hey I think I remember that! Had a montage where "Ever Fallen In Love" by the Buzzcocks played, right?

Unless they did it twice, that was in the episode where they did different love stories (Lady and the Tramp was one of them), and the song played in the segment where Nelson was Sid Vicious and Lisa was Nancy Spungen. Also, they used chocolate instead of drugs. And at the end, they tried to get clean but decided that wasn't for them, and the story ended up with them going back to a hotel to get high on chocolate.
(Presumably Nelson then murdered Lisa).

Min_sora fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 15, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in the 90's, [annoyed grunt] (also known as "d'oh!") was such a successful catchphrase that Fox mandated every cartoon sitcom had to have a catch-phrase, in the hopes that something would catch on in a similar way

the critic's, of course, was "hachi-machi!"
king of the hill had "dang it bobby" and "the boy ain't right" but also hank going "hwuh!?" in surprise

if you ever have call to watch The PJs, watch for Eddie Murphy's character going "uht!"
that was his
the catchphrase to take america by storm

"uht!"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I submit to the thread that Hank Hill's bwaaahhhhhh is on par with and perhaps superior to d'oh

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGcdYB8vF_c

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 15, 2019

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

The PJs loving owned

jesus marion barry! :monocle:

yeah i loved the PJs too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I remember an episode where the wife realises there's a stranger in the house when they turn the fan on in the bathroom.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Re-watched Dilbert recently and it's solid, especially Dogbert scenes. The humor was well-paced and usually smart, and I guess it was before Scott Adams became King rear end in a top hat so you didn't have to worry about his awful political commentary. I just have trouble getting into white-collar office humor, having worked nothing but overtime-mandatory manual labor jobs. Man, I'm just really sorry you get benefits, vacation, holidays, and 2 days off a week that must be real rough. Maybe you should dump Jennifer Aniston because your job is boring.

I remember the PJs owning pretty hard, but I haven't watched it since my edgelord days, so I don't know how it holds up. Definitely the last time Eddie Murphy did anything approaching funny, though.

Baby Blues was alright when things involved the neighbors, but it suffers from familiar problems including actors all using the voices they've all used a trillion times in other shows.

The biggest problems for good adult animated shows shows were that networks didn't really know how to handle them. They either aired on bad cable networks that couldn't really justify their high budgets like Mission Hill ran into, or they aired on network stations that played things incredibly safe and couldn't justify spending money on animation when a cheap sitcom would attract more viewers.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 15, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What's this about Tiny Toons being killed by creepy nerds? I mean I'm sure you can find literally that on deviantart...

The Bible posted:

Did Roy ever get a full episode and how bad was it?

I don't know of one, but they definitely did give one note gag characters like ol' Gil and, probably, like, the Sea Captain or Luigi or something their own episodes that sucked pretty bad.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Plan Z posted:

Re-watched Dilbert recently and it's solid, especially Dogbert scenes.

we did it you guys, we finally found the lowest point of this thread

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just lol at talking about adult-aimed animation and forgetting about duckman

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

What's this about Tiny Toons being killed by creepy nerds? I mean I'm sure you can find literally that on deviantart...

Yeah it’s strange to think that there was a big enough furry community online in the early 90’s for something like that to happen.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember seeing a rerun of Dilbert on comedy central at one point, and being blown away that they could call him Dildo and not have to bleep it or something. Anyway, that's my dilbert the animated series story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC they had a bad situation with a stalker for one of the lady voice actors. It wasn't just people being weird with the characters.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah it’s strange to think that there was a big enough furry community online in the early 90’s for something like that to happen.

It didn't take much of one.

In this case it was one obsessive fan who stalked the voice actress of his favorite character.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sentient Data posted:

Just lol at talking about adult-aimed animation and forgetting about duckman

Duckman loving owned. I’d love to see that get a revival.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've never seen anything definitive that the show was cancelled because of the creeps, but one of the creators of the show said he left in part because of creepy fans (I'm guessing that the show being a massive production was the biggest reason). One of them who I'm not gonna name was obsessed with Fifi, a female version of Pepe Le Pew, and apparently sent so many creepy letters to Tress MacNeille about wanting to bang a cartoon skunk that she stopped going to conventions or meetings. To be fair to that reaction, we had been entering an era since the '80s of obsessive weirdos attacking celebrities or other people on behalf of celebrities, so I don't blame anyone for being genuinely freaked out.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Hrist posted:

I remember seeing a rerun of Dilbert on comedy central at one point, and being blown away that they could call him Dildo and not have to bleep it or something. Anyway, that's my dilbert the animated series story.

I rewatched it recently too. It's alright. Not earth shatteringly funny or anything but it had its moments. Glad its dead though, anything to stop Scott Adams making money at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC they had a bad situation with a stalker for one of the lady voice actors. It wasn't just people being weird with the characters.

Tress McNeil was that voice actor from Tiny Toons. She does at least 50% of the female character voices that isn't Julie Cavner, Yeardly Smith.