Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1117502244272988160

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
There was once a Tesla driver from Nantuck
Who looked out his windshield and said "Firetruck!"

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

There was once a Tesla driver from Nantuck
Who looked out his windshield and said "Firetruck!"
the radar confirmed, the batteries burned
autopilot AI is just bad luck

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i used to work in chicago

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skim Milk posted:

i used to work in chicago

at the old department store?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

the astrologer peered up from his parchment-littered desk, frowning. "the fates of mortals are indeed written in the stars", he whispered. "but you, child, were born with macdonalds in the ascendant"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

thanks I hate it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

iospace posted:

Food industry is a weird one with regulatory capture. This was pointed out over in the gray forums, but letting regulatory capture slide more than it already has is pretty much going to end up in a The Jungle 2.0 situation. Mind you, it's worse with the FDA than the USDA.

Who summons me

USDA has much worse regulatory capture problems than FDA, due to more direct crossover in purpose; USDA's literally got segments devoted to promoting US ag industry. Could you link me to these gray posts?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Discendo Vox posted:

USDA's literally got segments devoted to promoting US ag industry.

:chloe:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's bad, lol!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

on this very special episode of Wings, lowell trips over his own grease rag, while antonio tries to locate a mysterious woman who left her purse in his cab

quote:

Eventually, Lowell is forced to leave Nantucket and enter the Witness Protection Program after witnessing a mob hit. Although it is hard for him to leave the people he has known all his life, Lowell decides he would rather go into hiding than let a guilty man go free to possibly kill again.

i... dont remember that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Why wouldn't the United States Department of Agriculture promoting the Agricultural products of the United States lol

do people think there's like one cabinet level "secretary of exports" or something?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Discendo Vox posted:

Who summons me

USDA has much worse regulatory capture problems than FDA, due to more direct crossover in purpose; USDA's literally got segments devoted to promoting US ag industry. Could you link me to these gray posts?

They were yours in the psuedoscience thread. :shrug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Schadenboner posted:

I’ve heard that the only the first two “Retard”s are an instruction.

That’s the only flight control computer joke I know.

:(

your posting has been not so good as of late OP

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Why wouldn't the United States Department of Agriculture promoting the Agricultural products of the United States lol

do people think there's like one cabinet level "secretary of exports" or something?

putting all that under state would be saner, yes

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FAUXTON posted:

if DV says something about food regulation is bad, you can rest assured that it is bad

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theflyingorc posted:

if DV says something about food regulation is bad, you can rest assured that it is bad

it's vague and makes me suspect vox is losing his edge as a scholar of rhetoric.

USDA runs SNAP, probably the biggest single handout to AG producers the feds make. That doesn't mean SNAP is a bad thing in any way other than it doesn't do enough for recipients.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

worth mentioning its not just export, eg agricultural marketing service, ex https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

FAUXTON posted:

it's vague and makes me suspect vox is losing his edge as a scholar of rhetoric.

USDA runs SNAP, probably the biggest single handout to AG producers the feds make. That doesn't mean SNAP is a bad thing in any way other than it doesn't do enough for recipients.

I'll try to contain my pedantry to a single post here. Lemme know how my edge looks.

FDA is, historically, specifically a consumer protection entity - they're responsible for regulation and safety. While there's been some deterioration over time (OTP's going to be a big problem), the agency's been fiercely resistant to capture compared with other federal regulatory agencies, principally due to its lack of direct market facilitation obligations, internal firewalls and a history of hiring analytic and policy staff directly out of school.

USDA is simultaneously a consumer protection and a "market facilitation" entity, and has been from the start. USDA's had much worse capture issues over the year because the organization has heavy industry crossover at all levels, and the confluence of interests makes it easier to rationalize capture scenarios. The pinnacle of this are the "commodity checkoff programs", which are the pure domestic corporate promotion organizations I was referring to. USDA is responsible for things like embedded meat facility inspection staff, and it's true that for the most part those have been run well and independently, with industry buy-in (though a big part of this just was reversed). It's also true that USDA does a tremendous amount of good by propping up and stabilizing the US ag sector and the food supply, both at home and abroad. There are public health and environmental factors we could go through here, but the upshot is USDA's got a lot more capture issues, principally because of the tensions in its role.

I could compare this to FAA with some just incredible ye olde legal history and corruption that might get invoked w/r/t Trump, but that's a whole new level of derail.

edit: god loving dammit PCjr sidecar stealing my thunder

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 15, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

edit i'm dumb!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This is gonna be fiiiiine, right guys?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/04/elon-musk-says-tesla-is-vastly-ahead-on-self-driving/

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i wonder what it's like to be so rich and self-absorbed that being directly responsible for fiery human death is just kind of an abstract notion that can be waved away

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

"I could be wrong” -Apartheid Clyde

yeah you might be you gigantic moron...

mystes
May 31, 2006

They can just keep saying that it's 18 months away, I guess. At the end of 2020 it will suddenly be coming out in 2022 (if Tesla still exists).

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

refleks posted:

"I could be wrong” -Apartheid Clyde

yeah you might be you gigantic moron...

chart-of-self-driving-tech-showing-tesla-pretty-much-being-dead-last.jpg

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

mystes posted:

They can just keep saying that it's 18 months away, I guess. At the end of 2020 it will suddenly be coming out in 2022 (if Tesla still exists).

ai has been 10 years away from taking over for decades now, elon is disrupting big ai by reducing the prediction to a permanent 1.5 years in the future instead! i loving love science!!!!!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

all of the wording there is extraordinarily precise to minimize his liability by not actually making a definitive statement of fact

which, to me, sounds like this was very much pre-planned and screened by his lawyers

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roosevelt posted:

i wonder what it's like to be so rich and self-absorbed that being directly responsible for fiery human death is just kind of an abstract notion that can be waved away

do you also believe the inventor of the automobile is directly responsible for every car crash?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

obstipator posted:

do you also believe the inventor of the automobile is directly responsible for every car crash?

hoo boy.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

obstipator posted:

the horseless carriage needs no whips nor spurs and is therefore fully self driving, you're onto something here, drat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

obstipator posted:

the people who developed the ford pinto are directly responsible for every person who died in a fiery explosion

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

frank car sure has a lot to answer for

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

obstipator posted:

well not just that but the what it’s done to destroy city infrastructure and the environment, id blame him for that too

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Thomas Midgley lol

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you believe that the invention of the car was really bad

do not drive then

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

obstipator posted:

you believe that the invention of the car was really bad

do not drive then

but don't you see that's what elon musk is trying to accomplish? interesting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

incredibly cursed quote and reply

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Aborted lane changes where it yanks you back into your original lanes abruptly for no good reason, phantom braking which has almost led to being rear ended a couple of times, no knowing when adjoining freeways are merging or not leading to tracking a car next to me when the lane ahead is clear or happily accelerating really fast when a car is about to merge.

love the car, but wish it wouldn't try to kill me so often...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

all the institutional investors are dumping tesla

https://twitter.com/GrainSurgeon/status/1117827453089669122

this is good for tesla, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean aren't teslas shareholders pretty much:

- musk
- a few executives
- really vanilla institutional investors that are basically probably using the stock for part of some high risk mutual fund
- retail idiots