Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Has anyone ever played in Barbados? I’m going there for a birthday party and will definitely be playing a week straight at the green monkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Has anyone ever played in Barbados? I’m going there for a birthday party and will definitely be playing a week straight at the green monkey

I played the Barbados Golf Club as it was the cheapest option. The rental clubs were pretty awful, but that can be expected. The course was in good shape, was beautiful and had a few challenging holes. I would guess the other courses would be even nicer.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Dr. Capco posted:

Well I just confirmed my tee times at Kingsbarns and Carnoustie for my Scotland trip this summer. I've never played a real links course before so hopefully the weather doesn't take a giant dump on me and I can get out of there with a score around my handicap. :toot:

Both courses are fun, with the caveat that Kingsbarns is definitely a lot less like a traditional links course (and probably harder). You gonna go look at the Old Course at least while you are out there? It is worth trying to get on the ballot (https://www.standrews.com/play/ballot) when you are there.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Thanks for the encouragement guys :v:

Yeah my plan is to lay up at every opportunity within reason (ie 90% of the time) and assume it's going to pour rain the entire time so I won't be disappointed if it does.

I'm going to check out St. Andrews but I don't think we're going to have time to have me play a third and if I play there I'd want to play them all.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

Finally found a golf instructor that I like. He takes videos my swing, clearly explains what he sees that's good and what needs work. Here is a fun list of swing faults!

Alignment: (too far to the right) fixed
Knees not flexed enough. Fixed
Standing too upright. Fixed
Back too hunched. In process
Take away too far inside causing an over the top swing path. In process
Faced too closed to compensate for all of the above. In process.

It's like untangling a knot. I'm definitely seeing improvement in distance and I hit a lot more draws now. Looking forward to hitting the course to see where I'm at.

I know you guys love hearing about all of my swing faults, so here is what I got from my lesson this week.

My swing path has gone from 20 degrees over the top to about 4 degrees. More work to do there. I was feeling stuck, which was happening because my right elbow is too low on the backswing. "It should feel like you are a waiter carrying a tray.". Another thing to practice is keeping my knees flexed the entire time. I tend to straighten them up and hit the ball thin or fat when I have to come back down.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Just played at another different course. Found a City of Denver (generally bad maintenance) course near son's appointment and gave it a go. John F. Kennedy course. Across the street from the Centerfold Show Club which was surprisingly busy for a Monday morning.

Typical Muni course. Straight, open, bad greens and fairways. $40 which was slightly more than it was worth, but about 60% what I normally pay. One 440 yard par 4 you could only hit 230 from the tee unless you could carry 250+. Holes like that actually break up otherwise mundane rounds, though.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

daslog posted:

I know you guys love hearing about all of my swing faults, so here is what I got from my lesson this week.

My swing path has gone from 20 degrees over the top to about 4 degrees. More work to do there. I was feeling stuck, which was happening because my right elbow is too low on the backswing. "It should feel like you are a waiter carrying a tray.". Another thing to practice is keeping my knees flexed the entire time. I tend to straighten them up and hit the ball thin or fat when I have to come back down.

Sounds like me a couple of years ago. I'm more in-to-out now and have trouble intentionally fading the ball. Stock shot is a small draw or straight. It's all about correcting the swing path before anything else.

Virtual golf (good equipment but not quite trackman) was one of the great tools that helped provide immediate feedback. I started about 15 degrees out to in and it was really weird feeling getting down to -5 and closer to 0. Helped to ingrain the feel.

Stick with it, tough but rewarding experience.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 23, 2019

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Halo14 posted:

Sounds like me a couple of years ago. I'm more in-to-out now and have trouble intentionally fading the ball. Stock shot is a small draw or straight. It's all about correcting the swing path before anything else.

Virtual golf (good equipment but not quite trackman) was one of the great tools that helped provide immediate feedback. I started about 15 degrees out to in and it was really weird feeling getting down to -5 and closer to 0. Helped to ingrain the feel.

Stick with it, tough but rewarding experience.

I practice a lot and I can feel it getting better, but it's hard to do much when you have little faith in the ball going in the right direction off the tee.

My other big challenge is fixing my balance and form with my Drive. Still working on it because not being able to be consistent off the tee is just killing my game.

daslog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 23, 2019

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Well I finally broke 80 for the first time today and did it from the back tees. Feels good man. Had a couple greenside putter chips in from the rough for a 35 on the front and then played kinda meh on the back from #12 onward for a 42 but had a couple pretty solid bogey saves to limit damage. Nice to get it out of the way early this year so I won't have it in the back of my mind all season. It took me 41 rounds last year to break 90 4 times and I've already done it 3 times in 5 rounds this year. Hopefully I can keep on chunking my handicap down to single figures this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress yeah, congrats :cheers:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Those milestones keep us going to improve. That's a nice curve you've got going there, keep it up.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Isthere a golf equipment thread? I'm going to pull the trigger on a mevo or voice caddie sc300 in the next couple weeks and I keep going back and forth between the two. It kinda seems like the mevo is a little more accurate for carry. I drat near grabbed the r motion two weeks ago for the virtual golf aspect because I won't be getting out to the course much this year. I'll be hitting off a fiberbuilt practice station and flight deck in my garage.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Infomaniac posted:

Isthere a golf equipment thread? I'm going to pull the trigger on a mevo or voice caddie sc300 in the next couple weeks and I keep going back and forth between the two. It kinda seems like the mevo is a little more accurate for carry. I drat near grabbed the r motion two weeks ago for the virtual golf aspect because I won't be getting out to the course much this year. I'll be hitting off a fiberbuilt practice station and flight deck in my garage.

This is the Megathread, equipment post away. I've not used either but from the reviews online the Mevo has gotten a better response. But that could be due to marketing budget like most golf stuff.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Playing my first proper round of the year tomorrow, and after a few trips to the range (Topgolf opened a location five minutes from my house, and they have half-price Tuesdays that I’ve taken advantage of) I’ve found that keeping my hands lower at address means more yardage and control. Still got a nasty driver fade, though.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Booked my first lesson :ohdear: Can't wait to be told all the ways I'm fuckin' up.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Booked my first lesson :ohdear: Can't wait to be told all the ways I'm fuckin' up.

I played a 9 hole par 3 course and scored a 60, but got interested in golf.

Two lessons later I scored back to back 35s at the same course.

A third lesson and two or three range sessions later I'm hitting irons an ok distance, at the target for the most part (straight/draw/fade), and can hit the driver about 200 yards and only cut a huge slice on it 1/10 times.

Overall I've felt very happy with the lessons and the instructor, the progress was a lot faster than I expected.

Fourth lesson is 9 holes with the instructor at a normal golf course. :ohdear: I'm hoping to score no higher than 130 but we'll see!

Definitely going to book a few more lessons after the package lessons are done. I can't hit the ball once I'm 20 yards in but off the green.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I'm brand new, had my first lesson this week and only hit the range a few times in my life. I'm going to keep practicing at the range and continuing with lessons once or twice a month.

I'm looking at training aids I can use at home for practice. I'm thinking about getting a dual hinged club or one of those orange whips or a knockoff. Any suggestions for a beginner?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The European Tour has been getting various pros to hit 500 balls on a par three trying to get an ace, the most recent one was Andy Sullivan. Worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSxgp9rckGQ

I was expecting a Finau-at-the-masters style injury from him at the end

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tiger next week?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Holy poo poo I can kinda the dang ball straight now. Somewhat more reliably. And even hit a draw lmao. Also apparently I've built up a habit of trying to compensate for my slice and I line up strongly to the left of target.

Things feel weird but dang if it don't work. Lessons are miracles. I'm hoping I can keep everything in mind and cement it as muscle memory.

poo poo it felt good to get the ball in the general vicinity of where I wanted it.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 27, 2019

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Waltzing Along posted:

Tiger next week?

Not playing until the PGA.

Can't say I'm a fan of no reps between majors, but he knows what's best.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Lessons are always (well usually) worth it and eventually your swing changes will become second nature and your misses will start to get less and less score ruining and your good shots will get better.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
Possibly a stupid question but just looking for some information before I go guns blazing at the golf shop. I bought a new set of Callaway Rogue X irons custom fit and I asked for jumbo grips (I've only ever played standard and have large hands). I received them the other day and played my first round today and noticed they had fitted Lamkin Z5 standard grips with what appears to be 4 wraps of tape. They're obviously not as large as the jumbo grips I tested in the store.

Is it normal to oversize grips with more wraps of tape? Is that something I should accept?

greatapoc fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 28, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kameh posted:

Not playing until the PGA.

Can't say I'm a fan of no reps between majors, but he knows what's best.

I always wonder how many more wins he'd have had if he just kept a normal schedule rather than one where he only played courses he felt he could win. I understand the thinking but considering how good he was, he could have won so much more had he played more.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I'm brand new, had my first lesson this week and only hit the range a few times in my life. I'm going to keep practicing at the range and continuing with lessons once or twice a month.

I'm looking at training aids I can use at home for practice. I'm thinking about getting a dual hinged club or one of those orange whips or a knockoff. Any suggestions for a beginner?

I borrowed a coworker's double hinged club and took some practice swings with it before hitting the driving range. I liked it. Are gimmicks like this a good idea or would I develop bad habits? I still plan on taking ongoing lessons.

and if they're fine what ones are good?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I borrowed a coworker's double hinged club and took some practice swings with it before hitting the driving range. I liked it. Are gimmicks like this a good idea or would I develop bad habits? I still plan on taking ongoing lessons.

and if they're fine what ones are good?

You're better off putting the money you would spend things like this towards lessons with a Pro early on especially. They will teach proper method and drills to improve your game, that way when you do have time to practice you have the right idea on what to focus on.

Something like a putting mat is a great tool for anyone as it will help you learn distance control when putting which is a really important concept when putting.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

greatapoc posted:

Possibly a stupid question but just looking for some information before I go guns blazing at the golf shop. I bought a new set of Callaway Rogue X irons custom fit and I asked for jumbo grips (I've only ever played standard and have large hands). I received them the other day and played my first round today and noticed they had fitted Lamkin Z5 standard grips with what appears to be 4 wraps of tape. They're obviously not as large as the jumbo grips I tested in the store.

Is it acceptable to oversize grips with more wraps of tape? Is that something I should accept?

Some shops will just chuck layers of tape under to bulk out a standard grip if they don't have a jumbo on hand, it's pretty common. That being said if they feel a little thin take them back in and ask them to either put the Jumbo's on or add a few more layers, get them to do one first and make sure it's comfortable then do the rest.

E: sorry for double post, but not sure how to quote 2 posts in the app.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

greatapoc posted:

Is it normal to oversize grips with more wraps of tape? Is that something I should accept?

If they had jumbo grips that you tested, and then gave you standard grips, take them back. Yes, you can bulk up grips with tape, but you tested something specific. Make them fix it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Agreed, get what you paid for.

That being said my go-to grip size is 4 papers.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I tried midsize grips once and my baby hands could barely hold on to them. I have standard on my clubs and +1 in my driver/3w/hybrid. I'm not sure it's much of a difference but my fitter seemed to think it would help.

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
Well they're basically just fobbing me off now and telling me that Callaway don't supply jumbo grips and if I wanted them to put them on it would be an extra $200 for the whole set which sounds insane. Basically they're telling me my choice was wrong and unless I have arthritis I don't need jumbo grips.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

greatapoc posted:

Well they're basically just fobbing me off now and telling me that Callaway don't supply jumbo grips and if I wanted them to put them on it would be an extra $200 for the whole set which sounds insane. Basically they're telling me my choice was wrong and unless I have arthritis I don't need jumbo grips.

One, stay away from these guys for purchases in the future. If they couldn't do the grips you asked for they should have told you then, not given a substitute without letting you know.

But, the grips being made thicker with tape are probably close to spec, just let them know that's pretty sketchy how they did that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

greatapoc posted:

Take them back, get your money back, and go somewhere else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

One, stay away from these guys for purchases in the future. If they couldn't do the grips you asked for they should have told you then, not given a substitute without letting you know.

But, the grips being made thicker with tape are probably close to spec, just let them know that's pretty sketchy how they did that.

Shrapnig posted:

Take them back, get your money back, and go somewhere else.

Both of these, yeah.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Who and where the hell are these jerks? Callaway may not offer "Jumbo's" but they offer at least 15 different MID sized grips that they could add 2+ wraps to. Once you know your specs you can build it out on the Callaway's website, that will show you all the customization options (a lot are free or reduced price). It's painless. You could also probably add a note to do crazy Bubba Watson type poo poo with your grips such as ("8 extra wraps on the lower and 4 on the upper of the 9-7-5 irons and 6 extra wraps on the pw-6-4 and turn the labels facing up on every other club.)

Also test locally and order online from Discount Dans in Oregon, unless you really love your local shop.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 29, 2019

greatapoc
Apr 4, 2005
Unfortunately I live in Australia so my choices are pretty limited and we can’t order direct from the Callaway website. I just checked out the customization available on there and it’s amazing.

I bought them from probably our largest chain retailer and they put me through their fitting process but they didn’t provide me any numbers. Hit a few shots through the computer to determine swing speed which said stiff shafts but no choice of what shaft. Hit the low board to get lie angle but wasn’t told what it was. Then given 4 clubs (not mine) with undersized, standard, midsize and oversized grips and asked what felt best. I said oversized and that was that. There was no specification of exactly what grip. All the data is apparently then sent to Callaway who build the clubs and send them to the store.

Now I know better for the future but it was my first fitting so I didn’t know what to ask and just rolled with it. I’m going back in there today to hopefully either sort it out or get my money back and go elsewhere.

greatapoc fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 29, 2019

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

greatapoc posted:

Unfortunately I live in Australia so my choices are pretty limited and we can’t order direct from the Callaway website. I just checked out the customization available on there and it’s amazing.

I bought them from probably our largest chain retailer and they put me through their fitting process but they didn’t provide me any numbers. Hit a few shots through the computer to determine swing speed which said stiff shafts but no choice of what shaft. Hit the low board to get lie angle but wasn’t told what it was. Then given 4 clubs (not mine) with undersized, standard, midsize and oversized grips and asked what felt best. I said oversized and that was that. There was no specification of exactly what grip. All the data is apparently then sent to Callaway who build the clubs and send them to the store.

Now I know better for the future but it was my first fitting so I didn’t know what to ask and just rolled with it. I’m going back in there today to hopefully either sort it out or get my money back and go elsewhere.

Nah man, you are covered under consumer Law. I assume Drummond is where you went? I thought you were in the US.

https://www.drummondgolf.com.au/returns-policy

You are also covered under their own policy. If they fob you off again post on Facebook and if still nothing go to Fair trading, if you have an order form that says jumbo grips they have to replace them or offer get them to the size you ordered.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh, bummer. Do you like the clubs otherwise? Maybe just play them as is since with 4 wraps they are close to mid-sized and budget for the proper grips in a year and put them on yourself. Can you buy from Ebay-Aus??

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Oversize-Golf-Club-Grips/47324/bn_60517773

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
If it's the retailer I assume then Call Brett Ogle, he'll sort it out :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played a course with really, really fast greens today. Found out I really like fast greens. Where I play normally has fast'ish greens, but what a difference.

I hit a nice approach into #1, right over the pin, about 12 feet left for birdie, down hill putt. My second putt was also 12 feet. Second hole, now I'm terrified of a downhill putt of about 15 feet, and still slid the putt 6 feet past the pin. Over the next couple of holes, though, just really got into the speed, and the extra break it brought and had a hell of a time.

I've played some good, fast greens on tour courses, but I think this was the most consistently fast I've seen. Very enjoyable.