Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1116772995203129346

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Report I’ve been working on for 2 months was only missing info from my coworker to complete.
Told her a month ago about it and my boss said she had to get it all done this week. I run a report today and see she hasn’t done poo poo. I was supposed to have a meeting with my boss on Monday to go over it all So i just went ahead and canceled it. Told my boss the work is not done so nothing to meet about. Coworker is off all next week and boss the week after.
Looks like smooth sailing for me for a while.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Recommended by the BWM thread, "Barbarians at the Gate" is a really good (=good/evil chaos) corporate book having a lot of overlap with BWM (obviously).

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 13, 2019

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Raided a lunch meeting as it wrapped up, stole about a gallon of catered hummus and pitas to take home with me.

Sometimes Corporate can accidentally lead to good things. :v:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They always manage to schedule the arrival of free food at my point of daily departure, or otherwise on days when I can't eat junk food. I know I'm kinda unique, but honestly it gets old being the only one who wants to have a "welcome back from your weekend, let's have a great week" foodfest.

Maybe I need to start roaming other floors looking for friends.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1116720342590947330

This is insane and also I want to get hired as a secret Pinkerton agent.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Uterine Lineup posted:

Are you willing to protect President Lincoln and shoot striking workers?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Meeting chat:
My hell is meetings on Project A, only to have to listen to people talk about how they have not had time to do anything on Project A because they did this on Project B, that on Project C, and Project D needs more attention, ... . :sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uterine Lineup posted:

We all know employee surveys are bullshit, here’s how to find out what your employees really think while fostering paranoia. A setup like that has to be really fun when tax time rolls around.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don’t know if this is any comfort, but executive management doesn’t give a poo poo about the worker drones. They’re keeping an eye on one another and on the middle managers who unwittingly carry out their schemes.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

I wish I could Alan Smithee poo poo like that.

It’s so she can take it home.

Jokes on her then. I threw it out. My boss has a thing about being good guest where we do training, and he doesn't want to hear we left training areas as a disaster. So a few hours after lunch I clean up and throw stuff out. Most of the places I each at are distribution companies with attached warehouses. So cleaning up is usually throwing away the pans and stuff.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Uterine Lineup posted:

No you don't. They aren't gun thugs anymore but I've worked with enough of them at this point to suspect that if everyone of them disappeared, there wouldn't be any serious period of mourning.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

In Equity Private’s blog she joined regular officeworker teams at a few of her fund’s portfolio companies to sniff out who had actual organizational knowledge and who was useless.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thomamelas posted:

No you don't. They aren't gun thugs anymore but I've worked with enough of them at this point to suspect that if everyone of them disappeared, there wouldn't be any serious period of mourning.

:posthaste:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

crazypeltast52 posted:

In Equity Private’s blog she joined regular officeworker teams at a few of her fund’s portfolio companies to sniff out who had actual organizational knowledge and who was useless.

Makes sense. If you’re going to clean up after a merger, you really don’t want to can the dude with a vague job description, that HR can’t really tell you what they’re doing, but if they’re gone everything goes to poo poo.

I have one on my team, I spend an inordinate amount of time explaining to management that they’re actually underpaid, and no we can’t can them to hire clerks instead.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I won't post specific examples. Companies that employ them have deep pockets, hosed up senses of paranoia, and a vindictive streaks a mile long. I will speak in general terms. What they do now is marketed as corporate counter espionage. Basically spying on workers. Inserting people into the workforce, planting people at restaurants and hiding behind bushes to listen in case someone says something sensitive. Or says the word union.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What would happen if the people carrying the guns unionized? Who would Pinkerton call in to break their strike? Would they be allowed into the AFL-CIO if they created a union?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

What would happen if the people carrying the guns unionized? Who would Pinkerton call in to break their strike?

Historically, the National Guard for state-level issues and federal troops for anything involving interstate commerce.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sundae posted:

Historically, the National Guard for state-level issues and federal troops for anything involving interstate commerce.

Oh, yeah, them... Feds also show up if a rail car carrying the mail has issues.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Happy monday everyone I think I'm going to get into a fist fight with Sales. Anyone want to come?

They didn't do anything wrong I just want to get into a fight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Renegret posted:

They didn't do anything wrong

They're sales, so I somehow doubt this statement.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kyrosiris posted:

They're sales, so I somehow doubt this statement.

They're only innocent in the sense that I can't prove anything

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Renegret posted:

That's closer to accurate. :v:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A salesman at a friends company self reported an issue to HR and got a hire up canned.

My money is that the report was a political maneuver and not any kind of moral obligation.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Our RAPS submitter is having technical issues, so no RAPS submissions to CMS until further notice.

"Okay, thanks for letting me know. What does that affect?"

Everything.

"Haha, funny. Can you be more specific?"

No.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Renegret posted:

Be careful tangling with sales, if you aim to fight them you must crush them without mercy, otherwise theyll come back to bite you in the rear end. Theres a strong double standard that applies to sales people, in the sense that they get passes for acting immature/douchey/etc yet they become deeply offended when you act that way towards them and will loudly complain how you wronged them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've been trapped on a conference call for the past 2 hours right when I was about to leave for lunch. I think this is the smoking gun I need to punch sales in their ugly loving faces.

Please ignore the fact that it's an emergency outage call and it has nothing to do with sales.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is it a call to see if the outage resolves itself while the conference call is ongoing?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
shockingly enough, no

In an unusual twist of fate, we actually have a good handle on what's broken. And the SMEs can't figure it out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just one of the overhead lights in our cubicle farm is out, and it's directly over my office. It's like an inverse spotlight.

I don't know if it's an omen, but I love it and have no intention of calling for repair.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"Okay Google, generate a 100%-rejection rate resume in three bullet points."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sundae posted:

sure I'll send over my resume

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sundae posted:

The funny part is reverting that makes for good things to talk about when interviewing:
- Lazy researcher and writer, sort of sloppy.
- Only creative when applied to doing less work
- Hates social media

When can I start?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 24, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Funny... my main goal to be personally satisfied with a job is to not do everyone else's work delegate responsibility appropriately so I can take naps in another building work on mindfulness initiatives.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Well gently caress, I didn't get the job I interviewed for two weeks ago. This is the 7th interview I've had in the last 5 months that hasn't landed me a new job. I gotta wonder if I'm doing something wrong in the interviews, or if I just have poo poo luck. Are mock interview services worth looking into? I legit need out of my job because I'm loving miserable there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Did you remember pants? That's usually my failure mode when an interview goes sour.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

momtartin posted:

Well gently caress, I didn't get the job I interviewed for two weeks ago. This is the 7th interview I've had in the last 5 months that hasn't landed me a new job. I gotta wonder if I'm doing something wrong in the interviews, or if I just have poo poo luck. Are mock interview services worth looking into? I legit need out of my job because I'm loving miserable there.

Have you asked the people you've interviewed with for any feedback?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

momtartin posted:

What do you think went well or not well? How long did it go and where do interviews usually end?

While I've never done them, the mock interview feedback I've gotten have been pretty good. Its mostly about just getting you some feedback and experience vs telling you what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Have you asked the people you've interviewed with for any feedback?

I just e-mailed back asking for feedback, so I'm hoping to get some. Other people I've asked don't respond.

Lockback posted:

What do you think went well or not well? How long did it go and where do interviews usually end?

While I've never done them, the mock interview feedback I've gotten have been pretty good. Its mostly about just getting you some feedback and experience vs telling you what to say.

Went well: I had good examples of customer success, a knowledge of the industry, was able to answer all their questions with relevant examples from my career:

Con: I don't have hands on experience in one particular system they use a lot, which I'm sure hurt me, but I have taken the initiative to learn about the system via certifications and exams. My current company just doesn't offer any chance for me to learn these new skills because they're 20 years behind in technology.

I don't even know which mock interview service to look at either, so if there are suggestions, I'll gladly take them.