Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best way to get HP levels in Final Fantasy II (J)? I'm playing the PSP version which by far is pretty nice, but poor Maria even in the front line is only getting about 6 HP whenever the party all get a group HP, while Frion and Guy get like 20 or so. I see Frion or Guy get a solo HP up when they take a big hit, but enemies miss a lot on Maria.

Also I really should avoid using teleport. Got it up to level 4 with Minwu and even the big bad monster in a box instantly dies to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Your Stamina stat (or whatever it's called in the PSP version) determines exactly how much HP you gain when you gain HP. You gain Stamina the same way you gain HP. Maria just starts with lower Stamina, so it'll take her awhile to raise it and get more HP.

This is a good guide in general on FF2's stat system. Written for the NES version, but the PSP version should have more quality-of-life stuff (no magic penalties from weapons/shields, leveling is significantly faster, easier loot from the snowship mini-game and the password dungeons) to let you utterly crush the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Onmi posted:

There are hard rules to loving causality, This is "History is written by the winners" taken to a stupid end.

If time travel is possible then causality doesn't matter at all in the first place. I took that line to mean that the timeline of FF13's world is all kinds of hosed up, which it probably would be if you could travel through time. So changing something in what we perceive as the future could alter what we perceive as the past. You're basically saying that it's dumb because that's not how time travel works in other sci-fi stories (which also isn't even true, there are plenty of far more outlandish time travel stories out there).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They should've just copied Chrono Trigger.

Because all games should copy Chrono Trigger.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rirse posted:

What the best way to get HP levels in Final Fantasy II (J)? I'm playing the PSP version which by far is pretty nice, but poor Maria even in the front line is only getting about 6 HP whenever the party all get a group HP, while Frion and Guy get like 20 or so. I see Frion or Guy get a solo HP up when they take a big hit, but enemies miss a lot on Maria.

Also I really should avoid using teleport. Got it up to level 4 with Minwu and even the big bad monster in a box instantly dies to it.

Make Maria (or whatever character you prefer, but a lot of folks prefer Maria for her high base agility) your only front row character. That way she takes all of the normal physical attacks. If you have more than one front row character, then you just end up spreading out the possible stat ups.

And there's no reason to stop using teleport, at least until you get a better instant kill spell with better accuracy. Teleport is actually the worst IKO spell, just for comparison.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 16, 2019

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mega64 posted:

They should've just copied Chrono Trigger.

Because all games should copy Chrono Trigger.

Instructions unclear, I am Setsuna output.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I'm glad Baba is You didn't lie about baba being you after I am Setsuna.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xad posted:

Dunno if anyone else in this thread has been following this series, but it's not dead and there's a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f4-m77O90

The foreshadowing stuff was super interesting.

Also, Aeris rocks.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 16, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Artix posted:

Instructions unclear, I am Setsuna output.

This is why nobody should ever listen to anything I say.

How the gently caress is Lost Sphear still $50?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Setsuna was so awful I'm not sure how Lost Sphear was even green lite.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I liked Setsuna but I had reasonable expectations for it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Relin posted:

what the hell, ignis is like a better noctis, this combat should have been the default, it's much more interesting...finding this out 100 hours in from doing his dlc finally

Never played any of the DLC but I have used the bros in the main game.

Normally, you'd avoid traveling at night early game because lvl 30 Iron Giants will whoop your rear end.

So I switched to my lvl 1-5 Gladiolus. His parry blocks all their physical attacks and the counter hit deals poo poo ton of dmg killing them in 30 secs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Xad posted:

Dunno if anyone else in this thread has been following this series, but it's not dead and there's a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f4-m77O90

I had forgotten about this. Funnily enough, I had just been wondering what IGN stood for.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I'm trying to will myself to pick up FF12 again just to finish out Yiazmat and Omega. They're the last two things I need to do to feel completely done with the game (I've already decided I'm not chasing down all the Rare Game) but I put the game down for a couple weeks and I'm not feeling motivated to pick it back up for one super long fight and one fight that might actually require grinding.

FF12's postgame overall was really well done, though. I liked that there were actual new areas to explore and a pretty smooth difficulty curve starting from the end of the story. I bounced off of 10's postgame hard when I got to the point where it was about spending hours retreading old areas to capture everything just to unlock a new boss that you had to kill dozens of times to get the stats to face the next boss ad nauseam.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A few hours in and FF13-2 on the xbonx has framerates issues that pop up randomly and make the game pretty much unplayable. And the likelihood of it getting fixed seems pretty much zilch.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Weird, Tim Rogers was just saying on the FF13 stream he did a couple of days ago that the Xbonx ports for 13-2/LR were solid 4k 30fps and that they performed much better than they did on the PC releases. As little sense as it made, it made me hope the ports were a little better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ventana posted:

Weird, Tim Rogers was just saying on the FF13 stream he did a couple of days ago that the Xbonx ports for 13-2/LR were solid 4k 30fps and that they performed much better than they did on the PC releases. As little sense as it made, it made me hope the ports were a little better.

I dunno 13 ran flawlessly for me, and they look incredible running at 4k supersampling down to my 1080p tv. A bit of googling shows that the problems are seemingly random but I am pretty let down after how solid the bc for 13 was. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat, Yaschas Massif in 13-2 has a great music track that's very reminiscent of some of the Nier:Automata soundtrack. Which I guess means that the Nier:A soundtrack is actually reminiscent of FF13-2.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DrNutt posted:

drat, Yaschas Massif in 13-2 has a great music track that's very reminiscent of some of the Nier:Automata soundtrack. Which I guess means that the Nier:A soundtrack is actually reminiscent of FF13-2.

Or the Nier:A Soundtrack is reminiscent of, and follow me on this.

Nier.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I randomly started playing Tactics A2 again. I got pretty far my first time but never did beat it.

I forgot what a great protagonist Luso is. He'll loving roll with anything, as he just plain doesn't give a poo poo.

Also why the gently caress does it take so long to get more Black/White Mage gear, my loving Nu Mou is languishing over here. Thanks Bazaar, but I don't need fifty more varities of loving swords, I need a god drat staff or rod.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I don't get Tactics Advance's dedication to making sure 18 different types of swords are separate weapon categories

Also I think I love the entire cast in A2, they're all really fun and have each other's backs in the end

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Everything about A2 owns except Luso's clothes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Onmi posted:

Or the Nier:A Soundtrack is reminiscent of, and follow me on this.

Nier.

It can be reminiscent of more than one thing. Regardless it's just a very Nier:A track and I was pleasantly surprised. Up to this point I'd been a little lukewarm on the 13-2 soundtrack because the soundtrack to 13 is fantastic.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Everything about A2 owns except Luso's clothes.

If you find yourself in a fantasy world you should immediately dress as hosed up as possible to establish yourself as the main character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The best part is Luso didn't even choose those clothes. A Judge changes his clothes after he joins Cid's clan.

Further proof the Judges are corrupt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

If you find yourself in a fantasy world you should immediately dress as hosed up as possible to establish yourself as the main character.

Its like going to prison, you go up to the biggest meanest person there and make them your friend

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Saint Freak posted:

I don't want that much responsibility, but I also don't want to miss anything. I'm going to dress in something that's overall normal but with a clear visual motif, and slot myself in as a prominent secondary character.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just need to wear one less belt than the main guy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Cleretic posted:

I don't want that much responsibility, but I also don't want to miss anything. I'm going to dress in something that's overall normal but with a clear visual motif, and slot myself in as a prominent secondary character.

Playing a dangerous game there. What if you're the secondary character that dies in order to motivate the main character to action?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Playing a dangerous game there. What if you're the secondary character that dies in order to motivate the main character to action?

Eh, Ill be back in all the spinoffs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Saint Freak posted:

I think if I avoid being a potential love interest to anybody until someone else dies, I'm probably safe.

It's either that or already have a dead love interest, but that seems like an approach that requires a lot more preparation than is probably healthy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/scalaadcaelumm/status/1118241497290141696

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mega64 posted:

Also why the gently caress does it take so long to get more Black/White Mage gear, my loving Nu Mou is languishing over here. Thanks Bazaar, but I don't need fifty more varities of loving swords, I need a god drat staff or rod.

Shouldn't you be getting all your gear from the Auction anyway?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Believe it or not there is a portion of the game where the auction houses are not a thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can beeline them pretty fast though. It's uh... 7 story missions in? And none of them are particularly difficult.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When will square make A3

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

When will square make A3

If they start now they might release a half-finished 40th revision of it by late 2031.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Saint Freak posted:

If they start now they might release a half-finished 40th revision of it by late 2031.

No no, you're thinking of their AAA development scheduling. This is a side title, so it'll get rushed over the course of the next 2 years and then reworked as a mobile gacha.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ninjewtsu posted:

When will square make A3

When there's another 'advance' system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'd rather an FFT2 than an FFTA anything.