Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I've not got round to it myself yet but how about Unavowed? A traditional point and click that took inspiration from the Mass Effect squad pool thing. Wadget Eye have put out some of the best examples of the genre in the last 10 years and apparently this one is a step above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Final fantasy x. I don't care that it's been done a million times, I just want to hear you get mad at it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Maybe Horizon: Zero Dawn? Good game, and I don't think anyone on the forums has LPed it yet. Pretty big though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GrandmaParty posted:

Final fantasy XIII. I don't care that it's been done a million times, I just want to hear you get mad at it

You missed a few roman numerals there, but don't worry I fixed it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Maybe Horizon: Zero Dawn? Good game, and I don't think anyone on the forums has LPed it yet. Pretty big though.

Horizon has my vote.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GrandmaParty posted:

Final fantasy x. I don't care that it's been done a million times, I just want to hear you get mad at it
I'd rather eat dirt.

JT Jag posted:

That's on the short list, actually.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If I had known you were on the PS4 I definitely would have suggested that game. It's truly great.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Zedd posted:

Do Human Revolution. :toot:

Mankind Divided :colbert:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ooh yeah Horizon is a great pick. Plus one of my best friends was on the Dev team for it

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite war for the Citadel

The push to end all pushes. We fight our way through a fuckload of enemies. Haven't seen a combat padding section like this since ME1. The idea is that we have Thanix cannons to shoot babby reaper, but since everyone except Shep is completely inept it's really up to us to do it all. First set misses because the beam we're supposed to ride is interfering, so we have to let the giant cockroach get close and shoot at us. The second part of that encounter sucks. Not only are there a fuckton of enemies, but you've got to worry about getting nuked. I may have died in that section. Several times. Or not. We'll never know due to the magic of editing! Because you're occupied with what's in front of you and then ZAP, oh you got fried. Thank god for vanguarding, you can get the hell out of the way by targeting, and also as is apparent in the video, i-frames allow to charge right the gently caress through it. We get it close enough and then have a flashback to Rannoch, giving us a straight shot to the beam.

Then it's total kamikaze as everyone runs for it. I talk about it in the video, but in the original endings you just ran and then your squad sort of disappears. You never found out what happened, though you might see them at the end depending on who you romanced and a couple other factors. With the EC we get a cutscene and Joker swoops in to take them away. Bring your LI if they're available for extra :qq: Then we run face-first into Harbinger's honk laser. Oops. Not the best mission result.

Well, that's it. One left, wherein we find out what the keepers have really been doing all this time, we meet up with a couple folks, and then have a very stupid conversation with the worst goddamn excuse for a higher intelligence ever.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That was... uh, an interesting choice for combat music.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ME1 reaper, powerful enough to shrug off dreadnought fire and vanguard straight through other capital ships.
ME3 reaper, attackt by handheld guns deemed a good idea. Gets taken out by relatively weak ground fire. :derp:

grack posted:

That was... uh, an interesting choice for combat music.
It didn't make me want to fall asleep like what almost happened when the song ended. They were trying soooo hard to make it dramatic but it just fell flat on its face. :sigh:

Sair
May 11, 2007

What is that beam supposed to be, anyway?

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Poil posted:

ME1 reaper, powerful enough to shrug off dreadnought fire and vanguard straight through other capital ships.
ME3 reaper, attackt by handheld guns deemed a good idea. Gets taken out by relatively weak ground fire. :derp:

There's different classes of Reapers.

Capital (Sovereign) class which can tank dreadnoughts are the big ones made from the big leading species of a harvest (humans, asari, turians)

And Destroyer class which are much smaller made from the rest of the species harvested which they decided weren't worth a capital ship (quarians, hanar).

Every Reaper you see while on foot in 3 are Destroyers.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

TheKirbs posted:

Except Harbinger, obv.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheKirbs posted:

There's different classes of Reapers.

Capital (Sovereign) class which can tank dreadnoughts are the big ones made from the big leading species of a harvest (humans, asari, turians)

And Destroyer class which are much smaller made from the rest of the species harvested which they decided weren't worth a capital ship (quarians, hanar).

Sure but they're still pathetically weak. Taken out by grenade launchers lol. Give me the ME1 Mako with some room to maneuver and I'll blow them up easier than freaking geth colossi.

Lore-wise they're probably supposed to be more powerful than geth but actual gameplay and what we see, they're kinda weak and not too threatening.

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 15, 2019

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sair posted:

What is that beam supposed to be, anyway?
It's the reaper shooting a frickin' laser at you.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I hated this level, BTW. It's like Bioware thought "You know what would be a great final battle for our space opera? A lovely Call of Duty mission with absolutely no interesting environments. That's the stuff!"

Also, playing this mission as a Soldier is actually really, really easy because Concussive Shot is overpowered as gently caress.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Definitely the best part of the EC is when the Normandy swoops down and Harbinger, who has been firing his capital-ship beam at individual soldiers on the way to the beam, just kind of chills out and lets a cruiser linger on the battlefield for two minutes while you and your squad shoot the poo poo

Sair
May 11, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's the reaper shooting a frickin' laser at you.

Nah, I mean the thing you're running for.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's the super special space jump lift to the citadel. That definitely existed and made sense before this and isnt an asspull to set the last mission on earth.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Pattonesque posted:

Definitely the best part of the EC is when the Normandy swoops down and Harbinger, who has been firing his capital-ship beam at individual soldiers on the way to the beam, just kind of chills out and lets a cruiser linger on the battlefield for two minutes while you and your squad shoot the poo poo
Clearly Harbie was flabbergasted into not taking advantage of this or really reacting at all

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fish Noise posted:

Clearly Harbie was flabbergasted into not taking advantage of this or really reacting at all

the second-best part is that when the Normandy flies away he turns and looks at it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

In all honesty, shep stopping the giant, all in raid for the future of the universe to evac the squad, complete with pausing for tearful goodbyes opens way more plot holes than ambiguous "they didn't make it" and died or got injured.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 15, 2019

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

In all honesty, shep standing the giant, all in raid for the future of the universe to evac the squad, complete with pausing for tearful goodbyes opens way more plot holes than ambiguous "they didn't make it" and died or got injured.

this is why the Extended Cut is honestly worse than the original ending, it adds enough weird fan-service to introduce all these little holes and inconsistencies but not enough to actually fundamentally change anything

it's the ultimate half measure

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Pattonesque posted:

the second-best part is that when the Normandy flies away he turns and looks at it
Harbie furiously trying to interpret the meaning of what is unfolding before its optics but the events just keep getting dumber than what it was expecting forcing continuous reassessment until it's too late "Did they really just do tha- WHY THE gently caress AM I NOT SHOOTING"

some sort of Dumbass Interrupt, if you will

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

*countless soldiers die*
"Shep gotta Shep"
*companions get slightly injured*
"Joker drop whatever you're doing and get down here right now and land in the middle of the warzone for an evac!!!!!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fish Noise posted:

Harbie furiously trying to interpret the meaning of what is unfolding before its optics but the events just keep getting dumber than what it was expecting forcing continuous reassessment until it's too late "Did they really just do tha- WHY THE gently caress AM I NOT SHOOTING"

some sort of Dumbass Interrupt, if you will

Poil posted:

*countless soldiers die*
"Shep gotta Shep"
"Joker drop whatever you're doing and get down here right now and land in the middle of the warzone for an evac!!!!!"

essentially since the ending of ME3 BioWare has made every decision under a rain of flop sweat

very little of it has made sense and all of it is basically part apology

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Poil posted:

*countless soldiers die*
"Shep gotta Shep"

My favourite version of this is when you have EDI as one of your companions and she's all "Uh, you know the android body is disposable, right?"

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I think somebody dug into ME3's code not that long ago and figured out that there actually was supposed to be a cinematic that played whenever your companions got injured, at least originally. It was pretty different from EC because I remember your squadmates got hurt by one of Harbinger's beams by proximity but they weren't killed, they mostly just limped off where they could. I've never played ME3 without the EC installed with it, so i'm forgetting offhand if it showed you that your squaddies all died if your war score was crappy enough before the ending.

Anyway, that part where it showed your squadmates/LI etc retreating got cut from the original release because, go figure, they ran out of time in development.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I mean, the Normandy is the ultimate stealth ship, maybe Harbie didn't actually see it?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Fire Storm posted:

I mean, the Normandy is the ultimate stealth ship, maybe Harbie didn't actually see it?

I always knew Reapers saw in permanent Predator-style thermal vision.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The best part is it's just going to get dumber.

I went digging and found the original ME3 thread. It's really entertaining watching people be all excited and then a day or two later the "what the gently caress" posts start dribbling in. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470696#post401266824

And the spoiler thread, which was pretty much all "what the gently caress" posts: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471712#post401431850

Now the game released in March and the EC didn't drop until late June, so there were 4 months for people to completely lose their poo poo. Every thought you might have about a problem with the ending, well, it got brought up. Repeatedly. And cross-referenced and nitpicked and hollered about. For anyone who doesn't know what's coming, I kind of envy you. You're going to get a deeply flawed ending with plot holes Harbinger can waddle through. You're going to scratch your head and go, "But wait, in the previous games-" and we'll all nod along and say you're right because you are. I just want you to remember that we're playing the EC which (allegedly) fixed a bunch of things. It didn't actually change the endings, just gave an explanation as to the aftermath so it didn't fix anything at all. The ending is still stupid, but keep in mind it went from explosion to a jungle planet to the credits and then THANKS FOR PLAYING BUY DLC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, they did add the best ending. Which we probably won't see because it involves Shepard suddenly turning 5. But it's still hilarious.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Even if you didn't mind the standard endings, the Extended Cut came out and made everything worse somehow. It explained some things that people had questions about, but also opened up way more questions.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, they did add the best ending. Which we probably won't see because it involves Shepard suddenly turning 5. But it's still hilarious.

It's ironic that the ending that's most in line with ME1 and 2 is the one that this game punishes you for.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't think EC made things worse because it didn't really change the fundamental problems. Regular and EC are equal levels of dumb but EC is slightly more complete, so it's fractionally less bad.

maybe, I dunno :shrug:

e: good lord don't go read those threads, it's a time warp to the bad ages

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 16, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Also, there was that whole thing with a lot of players being unsure whether they just doomed the galaxy in the original ending. :speculate:

I was recently told that the ME3 ending, and the way it's completely inconsistent with every theme of the series, is actually good "because real life isn't always consistent and you don't always get what you want" which is... certainly a take, I suppose.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everything up to the missile fight is hard but nothing out of the ordinary for the other classes. Its the final fight that's horrible to do with a soldier, infiltrator, etc because you don't get any time to sit still.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 16, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Psion posted:

I don't think EC made things worse because it didn't really change the fundamental problems. Regular and EC are equal levels of dumb but EC is slightly more complete, so it's fractionally less bad.

maybe, I dunno :shrug:

e: good lord don't go read those threads, it's a time warp to the bad ages

Well, the original ending you could tell was rushed for time and incomplete. I looked at it and could go "Well at least it's an ending, i'm not happy with it but I'm sure if they had time they'd fix the issues."
And then they took time.
And didn't fix the issues.
And introduced new ones like the whole deal with Normandy abandoning the battle lines to save your Waifu while Harbinger just kind of glares at you so that a cutscene later makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can reapers blue screen? They're computers so it could explain why.