Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I didn’t mind the last two rompings IMO. Long Beach is usually more miss than hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What was that Robin Miller was saying about Long Beach potentially falling off the schedule in a few years?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

I didn’t mind the last two rompings IMO. Long Beach is usually more miss than hit.

Yeah there's honestly only like a handful of memorable LBGPs

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Space Racist posted:

What was that Robin Miller was saying about Long Beach potentially falling off the schedule in a few years?

oh the angels want to move away from anaheim for some horseshit reason. (Frankly in an ideal world? Raiders/Dodgers/Kings/Lakers in LA, Rams/Angels/Ducks/Clippers in Anaheim/Orange County)

loving stupid.

I guess Gerry Forsythe was at the track though for whatever reason. First time in 12 years. Wish that guy would run a drat car again...(nostalgia, not because we need him per say)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Space Racist posted:

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team is threatening to move unless Anaheim builds them a new stadium. One of the proposed places for them to relocate would be Long Beach, with the city building a stadium on-top of what are currently parts of the race course.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bentai posted:

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim baseball team is threatening to move unless Anaheim builds them a new stadium. One of the proposed places for them to relocate would be Long Beach, with the city building a stadium on-top of what are currently parts of the race course.

Hairpin at home plate.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know, having went to their games down here (in tulsa for the tourney), they were actually the nicest/funniest.

there was like 4 people from ohio and all we kept doing was making comments at the game and iowa state fans got pissed.

also lay off my man. He's a Browns fan. He's allowed to cheer for whomever he lies.

I went to a Royals game today I had a Baker Mayfield Jersey and no other Cleveland sports stuff so I wore that and got a mostly positive reaction. One guy invited me to tailgate when Cleveland came to town for the AFC championship game, lol.

Back to Rahal: Though he strikes me as a bit of a douche personally he's on a smaller team that is usually competitive even with the bigger teams in Indy. He's not super great, really sucks at qualifying but can usually make a charge towards the front so he has just the right amount of under dog for me to root for.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 15, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Frond posted:

Takuma Sato is going to be 43 this year.

Taku is exactly one year to the day younger than I am.

And he won’t be 43 until next January.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Flikken posted:

I went to a Royals game today I had a Baker Mayfield Jersey and no other Cleveland sports stuff so I wore that and got a mostly positive reaction. One guy invited me to tailgate when Cleveland came to town for the AFC championship game, lol.

Back to Rahal: Though he strikes me as a bit of a douche personally he's on a smaller team that is usually competitive even with the bigger teams in Indy. He's not super great, really sucks at qualifying but can usually make a charge towards the front so he has just the right amount of under dog for me to root for.

gently caress all Rahals.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

It’s worth noting that nobody on earth thinks it’s actually gonna happen, though. The olympics are likely to impact the race though, as events in that parking lot in temporary structures were in LAs proposal.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cygni posted:

Good day at the track but the race was pretty boring in a lot of ways. They should have thrown a yellow for Ferrucci down the runoff, a) because these races have been kinda boring this year, and b) having the safety truck on a live track is bullshit.

Series officiating is starting to remind me of euro racing, and that’s not a compliment.

Agreed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

To your first part? Lucky. You settle in Kansas City now? I'm in Tulsa. Kinda wanna make the trek up there some day. Have had the same encounters with chiefs fans back.

Second part? I agree. He's a nice guy in real life. Chats with fans, etc. I like him.

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress all Rahals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeNCZZkhQEA

naw.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

hot take: I'd trade Long Beach for Fontana

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

hot take: I'd trade Long Beach for Fontana

I want the California 500 on Halloween weekend like the good lord intended damnit.

(also long beach is history/lore...I still want it)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

To your first part? Lucky. You settle in Kansas City now? I'm in Tulsa. Kinda wanna make the trek up there some day. Have had the same encounters with chiefs fans back.

Second part? I agree. He's a nice guy in real life. Chats with fans, etc. I like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeNCZZkhQEA

naw.

I haven't decided to settle here yet, I'm in town helping a struggling branch but I have a job offer to stay. And I'm actually rapidly falling in love with KC.

Edit: And I see a lot of Rahal hate around here and it's mind boggling. He doesn't seem overly bad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

I haven't decided to settle here yet, I'm in town helping a struggling branch but I have a job offer to stay. And I'm actually rapidly falling in love with KC.

Edit: And I see a lot of Rahal hate around here and it's mind boggling. He doesn't seem overly bad.

Eh racing fans are weird with that sort of thing.

Used to be people hated the Andrettis and called them "whiners" (not me, I was okay with them).

I know back home the Rahals are highly thought of by anyone that knows when I bring up the word "IndyCar" to them.

This little area of the country is really nice btw. People are insanely kind. So if you get an offer? I would say go for it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I want the California 500 on Halloween weekend like the good lord intended damnit.

(also long beach is history/lore...I still want it)

No loving poo poo on both.

Also I don't get RM's (limited) concern for the race going away. They build a stadium? Change the layout again. The race has survived multiple layouts over the years, no reason that couldn't continue.

Graham... ehhh I'm not a fan of that call honestly.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like Graham and I think it's a bummer that Dixon swiped the championship in 2015 over him and Montoya.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I have some personal history w rahal that makes me go "haha" every time somebody says he isnt that vad.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

OhsH posted:

I have some personal history w rahal that makes me go "haha" every time somebody says he isnt that vad.

Graham is a crybaby and I'm honestly surprised he took that blocking penalty as well as he did :j:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like Graham and I think it's a bummer that Dixon swiped the championship in 2015 over him and Montoya.

:hai:

that year was nuts in the best way

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Flikken posted:

I've dealt with members of the family in the past that left a bad feeling, as well as loathing the team in IMSA.

Graham could save puppies every day and I would still say gently caress him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1117559911393710080

Lol kinda embarrassing when an Indycar driver doesn't know the difference between defending and blocking

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i don't think it was a block but it was graham so lol whatever

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
rahal sucks and that wasnt a block at all.

so hell yeah good call indycar

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I like Graham Rahal, don't @ me

He deserved 4th, block or not, either way he admitted that he was going to get passed regardless so you might as well go for it.

Typical Long Beach race in the end, though. If Rossi wins another one in the next year or two he's going to win as many or more as Little Al.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I think we can all 100% agree that Graham is still more likable than Marco.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basticle posted:

And a better driver, lately for sure.

I was just thinking about how irrelevant Marco has become, actually. On top of that, he feels like a relic from the Bad Times of Indycar and nothing of value would be lost if he left the series. Which says everything about him, really.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

And a better driver, lately for sure.

I was just thinking about how irrelevant Marco has become, actually. On top of that, he feels like a relic from the Bad Times of Indycar and nothing of value would be lost if he left the series. Which says everything about him, really.

The alternate universe where he finishes 2nd to Michael in 2006 would have been the best Indianapolis 500 story since (up to that point) either Buddy Lazier winning with a broken back or the 1992 Indy 500.

Hornish winning it really did take a lot of the wind out of the sails of that. Especially considering Hornish bailed to go to Cup in 08.

Hindsight? He was rushed. Shouldn't have been racing in europe, atlantics/IMSA, and then with a team not owned by his dad (Newman Haas IMO)

Marco I think though...will be a decent manager/co-owner some day. I do think that. His skills with networking with celebrities and sponsors is 2nd to none.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

Marco isn't relevant to anything. That's like saying Graham Rahal is still more likeable than measles... an infectious disease that was eradicated in America decades ag--- oh, what's that?.... oh.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Marco is the Lance Stroll of IndyCar.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gret posted:

Marco is the Lance Stroll of IndyCar.

Alright, let's not go crazy now.

I'm still amazed at just how far Marco has fallen. I still remember around 2005/2006 when the impression was Honda wanted him in F1 ASAP but Marco kept saying "nah, not until I win the 500" but then his career just nosedived into complete obscurity which is impressive when your last name is 'Andretti'.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Alright, let's not go crazy now.

I'm still amazed at just how far Marco has fallen. I still remember around 2005/2006 when the impression was Honda wanted him in F1 ASAP but Marco kept saying "nah, not until I win the 500" but then his career just nosedived into complete obscurity which is impressive when your last name is 'Andretti'.

He ran only 5 races in Indy Lights.

And that was when the series was very poorly ran. We're not talking about the CART-sanctioned "Dayton" series or the most recent one where Colton Herta and others have came from.

Should have been running Atlantics that season (2005), GP2 (2006) with some ALMS and then back to the IRL (2007).

All the successful "road to indy" grads from that era came from Atlantics. (including the aforementioned Graham, Pagenaud, Hinch, Wickens).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

FuzzySkinner posted:

He ran only 5 races in Indy Lights.

And that was when the series was very poorly ran. We're not talking about the CART-sanctioned "Dayton" series or the most recent one where Colton Herta and others have came from.

Should have been running Atlantics that season (2005), GP2 (2006) with some ALMS and then back to the IRL (2007).

All the successful "road to indy" grads from that era came from Atlantics. (including the aforementioned Graham, Pagenaud, Hinch, Wickens).

So what you're saying is that he's always been a fraud?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

marco has substantially less talent than john andretti, and is also far less likable. he sucks poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

So what you're saying is that he's always been a fraud?

No I'm saying his development was rushed and placed into the wrong series for development.

The IRL was still oval centric so I imagine the thought probably was "HEY JUST STICK HIM IN THE INFINITI PRO SERIES. HE'LL BE FINE".

....Then you know...road courses got added, and then reunification...then...yeah.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Wasn’t the Infiniti Pro Series embarrassingly bad?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

FuzzySkinner posted:

No I'm saying his development was rushed and placed into the wrong series for development.

The IRL was still oval centric so I imagine the thought probably was "HEY JUST STICK HIM IN THE INFINITI PRO SERIES. HE'LL BE FINE".

....Then you know...road courses got added, and then reunification...then...yeah.

Sounds like an inability to adapt probably due to him thinking he’s an Andretti and he doesn’t need to work hard because his Grandpa owns and he’s part of the lineage so naturally the genetic inheritance is good enough so hey throw it at me oh wait I’m a fraud.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Frond posted:

Wasn’t the Infiniti Pro Series embarrassingly bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr-zs_MeLVM

Yes.

The only graduate worth a drat has been Ed Carpenter.*

*We will never know whether or not Paul Dana would have been successful btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my favorite Marco stat is that during the 2017 500 Andretti cars led nearly half the race and Marco was a non-factor all day long.