Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the problems is that, imperfect as these systems are, the alternative is actually worse. A real snag is that these systems have been getting increasingly corrupt to the point that burning them down and not having them at all is starting to look better.

You need laws and people to enforce them to have a functional civilization. This isn't open for debate; if you don't have rules you don't have a civilization and end up with barbarism and total anarchy. Of course these get targeted by jerks who want to corrupt those systems. There's a reason the phrase "who watches the watchers?" goes back thousands of years.

Yeah like I said they get to be pretty detestable. Of course you're right about law enforcement being necessary, but insurance companies are pretty much dog poo poo, and jobs are mostly a pain in the rear end because we all do things that our bodies were not built for and we're dealing with lovely bosses that wield too much power. It's a lot of stress and it's bad for us in my phuo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My very well thought out solution: Arm everyone, but also make them swear an oath to uphold the law. If you betray the law, your fellow citizens are obligated to stop you. If they don't, they will also be stopped.

That way there are no watchers and non-watchers, we're all responsible for maintaining order.

average citizens get shield packs like in Starseige Tribes, and the cops can have all the guns. that way, crazy people don't go shooting up schools because they won't have a gun, and cops can't kill anyone because we'll all have shield packs. thanks for your time

e: bb hyena tax but also a good example of a shield pack IN ACTION

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rainbow Knight posted:

Yeah like I said they get to be pretty detestable. Of course you're right about law enforcement being necessary, but insurance companies are pretty much dog poo poo, and jobs are mostly a pain in the rear end because we all do things that our bodies were not built for and we're dealing with lovely bosses that wield too much power. It's a lot of stress and it's bad for us in my phuo

And you suggest...what alternative, exactly?

The benefit of insurance is in risk pooling. That's ultimately the point of it. That's why it was invented in the first place, really. Insurance in and of itself isn't inherently bad. Literally the point of it was that you bought insurance and it covered you if you randomly had the misfortune of coming to some kind of catastrophe. Most people wouldn't actually need to get any kind of payout but that was really the point in the end; you paid for insurance for the off chance of something maybe happening so it didn't completely ruin you. Most peoples' houses don't get flattened by some kind of disaster but it's a good idea to have insurance just in case it does.

The problem is that people corrupted it by setting up insurance companies that actively resisted paying for anything. Insurance in and of itself, at the basic concept, is actually a pretty good thing. The snag is that people are people and hosed it up.

Police, whether you like it or not, are a necessity. The alternative is absolutely no laws being enforced at all. That sounds pretty terrible. Yeah America's justice system has grown abhorrent and really, really sucks but this idea that police are inherently bad is just stupid.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And you suggest...what alternative, exactly?

The benefit of insurance is in risk pooling. That's ultimately the point of it. That's why it was invented in the first place, really. Insurance in and of itself isn't inherently bad. Literally the point of it was that you bought insurance and it covered you if you randomly had the misfortune of coming to some kind of catastrophe. Most people wouldn't actually need to get any kind of payout but that was really the point in the end; you paid for insurance for the off chance of something maybe happening so it didn't completely ruin you. Most peoples' houses don't get flattened by some kind of disaster but it's a good idea to have insurance just in case it does.

The problem is that people corrupted it by setting up insurance companies that actively resisted paying for anything. Insurance in and of itself, at the basic concept, is actually a pretty good thing. The snag is that people are people and hosed it up.

Police, whether you like it or not, are a necessity. The alternative is absolutely no laws being enforced at all. That sounds pretty terrible. Yeah America's justice system has grown abhorrent and really, really sucks but this idea that police are inherently bad is just stupid.

By "insurance" I really meant health insurance. The alternative to which would be nationalized health care. Car/house insurance or whatever, yeah that's actually not bad, but I'm sure it could be replaced with something state run and it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

What I mean overall is what I said at first: The people in control are the main problem, state or private. Law enforcement is definitely necessary, and police aren't bad by default, but when police are policing themselves? That's bad. Insurance companies aren't bad by default, but they wield more influence than a vast majority of people and can gently caress with someone's livelihood on a whim, that's bad.

I mean, yeah in a dream world there wouldn't need to be a middle man between you and what you need. Getting back on your feet after a catastrophe should be within one's control imo, but that would involve everything being cheaper and people making more money and all that stuff. Not having police would involve everyone being rational and good which is just lol

And ultimately I'm mostly just arguing that it's not that crazy for someone to complain about jobs and insurance and the police, as was posited earlier.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're at a regular restaurant then ordering a vegetarian entree is always a ripoff. Why are they so skimpy with the vegetables. A zucchini and some carrots don't really cost anything. Pile them on! No instead they slice them thin and grill a few small pieces and fan it out on the plate to look pretty. This dish is $20 and there must be only 300 calories here including the sauce. A fried asparagus appetizer sounds great! Too bad you only put literally 3 loving asparagus in the fryer. Fuckers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It annoys me at places where you “build” your dish from meat, veg, and toppings and the vegetarian option is the same price as the cheapest meat even though it’s literally the same thing minus meat

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Same with jobs and insurance and cops. It's a good idea on paper to have these things, but they have been abused so often and blatantly that it's really hard to have any kind of hope that they'll be redeemed and that makes them pretty detestable imo
None of those things are even good on paper. They're all tools of exploitation and oppression.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You need laws and people to enforce them to have a functional civilization. This isn't open for debate
Says who? Plenty of people debate it.

Ideally we'd employ legal scholars as the law enforcement force instead of meatheads and we could trust them to enforce the law fairly and without bias (and if they don't, they will take the long walk).
That kind of presupposes that the laws are good and fair.

Well under my system, if you are a witness to a crime you could/should be able to dole out the punishment without trial. If you are the enforcer of the law and are a direct witness, why do you need to prove it in court?
Because otherwise it's very easy to get away with murder. If you say you saw someone kill someone else, so you killed them, but actually you killed both people, who's going to come forward to contest your claim? Do you then have people who are paid to investigate to see if your actions were justified? Because that's just cops and they might as well have investigated the first murder from the beginning.

As long as they have a responsibility to not do stupidly dangerous things like walking out into traffic on their phone without even looking. Whether you're on foot, bike, or car, right of way doesn't mean you can close your eyes and plow through the area.
If roads were shared spaces, cars woulds just have to slow down and let pedestrians walk. There wouldn't be any possibility of walking into traffic.

Rainbow Knight posted:

By "insurance" I really meant health insurance. The alternative to which would be nationalized health care. Car/house insurance or whatever, yeah that's actually not bad, but I'm sure it could be replaced with something state run and it wouldn't be a bad thing either.
House and car insurance is also bad. Unless you're broadening the definition of "insurance" to cover tax-funded safety nets, insurance is bad. All of it. Insurance is an industry set up to profit from the misfortune of others. It's not merely sub-optimal but actually immoral.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Tiggum posted:

None of those things are even good on paper. They're all tools of exploitation and oppression.

When I say "on paper," I mean these things in their purest form. Cops enforce laws, serve and protect etc. Insurance can serve as a pool of resources with which a community can support those in need. Jobs... eh. People contributing to the well being of their community is good, and having purpose is good.

Tiggum posted:

House and car insurance is also bad. Unless you're broadening the definition of "insurance" to cover tax-funded safety nets, insurance is bad. All of it. Insurance is an industry set up to profit from the misfortune of others. It's not merely sub-optimal but actually immoral.

When I refer to insurance I mean the idea of a risk pool. When I referred to "who controls the levers of power," "insurance companies," and "The people in control," I mean the industry behind it all, yeah. And I agree that the industry is wrong and bad, especially with health insurance.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
PHUO: I love cats, but they taste absolutely terrible and I have no idea how they can stand to lick themselves for upwards of a half hour at a time.

PHUO: Jobs are bullshit, work is necessary but it doesn't require the manhours that capital demands it take.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

PHUO: I love cats, but they taste absolutely terrible and I have no idea how they can stand to lick themselves for upwards of a half hour at a time.

You have to slow cook them or the meat is pretty tough. Also leaving the head on adds a lot of flavor.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

veni veni veni posted:

You have to slow cook them or the meat is pretty tough. Also leaving the head on adds a lot of flavor.

PHUO: I wil starve to death before eating a cat that doesn't pose an immediately threat to my party's live(s).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imao you could have just said that you wouldn't eat a cat, instead if involving some hypothetical tribal post apocalypse life and death scenario that involves lethal cats for some reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would never eat a cat, people. Well, actually I guess if that 8 pound cat was about to kill my entire group of humans and we were starving enough to want to eat a cat in the first place, then I would eat a cat. Other than that, never!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol, no, like 80. I've never met a housecat that only weighs 8 pounds.

veni veni veni posted:

Imao you could have just said that you wouldn't eat a cat, instead if involving some hypothetical tribal post apocalypse life and death scenario that involves lethal cats for some reason.

All cats are lethal if you gently caress with them enough, some are large enough to be threatening unprovoked.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tubgoat posted:

All cats are lethal if you gently caress with them enough, some are large enough to be threatening unprovoked.

While I didn't know that youtube cat fucker posts here I'm not that surprised

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So we have an 80 pound house cat, which is like thrice as fat as Garfield. I'm just gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here on it being super lethal because imo it would probably be immobile. But for the sake of the argument we are gonna say it's 80 lbs of pure muscle and an imminent threat to a group of multiple people. Then you kill it out of self defense.

Do you eat it because your party is starving and needs to eat something, or because you feel bad about killing it, or are you just curious about cat meat? I feel like if I had to kill a deadly house cat to protect myself I'd probably just dump it in a trash can or something instead of eating it.

Bare with me I'm just trying to understand the full scenario here.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Lol, no, like 80. I've never met a housecat that only weighs 8 pounds.

I think you have confused cats with medium-to-large dogs.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Y'all know that a leopard is every bit a cat as a *shudder* munchkin, right?

PHUO: Whoever invented and continues to breed "munchkin" cats should have their limbs surgically altered to match the dimensions of the poor abominations they continue to inflict life upon.
No anaesthesia.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No you specifically said 80lb house cat, this leopard stuff is a new development.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

PHUO: Jobs are bullshit, work is necessary but it doesn't require the manhours that capital demands it take.

Really the issue is that we just keep creating more and more bullshit jobs and have these weird competitions to see who can "work" the hardest. It's basically become a meme at this point where people admit that they're in an office 40 hours a week but only actually do 4 or 5 hours of work and dick around on the internet the rest of the time. They've been doing it for years and nobody even notices!

Well actually people do notice but they don't care because chances are most other people in the office are doing precisely the same thing, even your boss, everybody just has to keep up appearances because reasons.

So we're forcing people to sit in a box and do nothing all day during very specific hours so that the traffic is horrendous so that 40 hour week ends up with 10 to 20 hours of just driving to get there to sit in a box and be lonely, sad, and unfulfilled. No wonder depression and addiction are so rampant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Because otherwise it's very easy to get away with murder. If you say you saw someone kill someone else, so you killed them, but actually you killed both people, who's going to come forward to contest your claim? Do you then have people who are paid to investigate to see if your actions were justified? Because that's just cops and they might as well have investigated the first murder from the beginning.

If both of your bullets are in them and there's no other evidence they were committing a crime, it's not exactly hard to prove you shot them unprovoked.

If we're talking about hypothetical perfect societies, the entire scenario could be avoided by having equilibrium-style forced medication to remove emotion so we'd be a society of law abiding robots. Most crimes are based on emotion so it seems like a fair trade-off, since we live in a society, after all. To prevent what happens in the movie, you'd simply need to have daily testing of everyone from the head of the government on down to make sure you're taking your pill.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

veni veni veni posted:

Some parts of the US suck. Some of them are great. It's a pretty big country.

Yes, and comparing the US to a country the size of one of our states is pretty foolish.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really the issue is that we just keep creating more and more bullshit jobs and have these weird competitions to see who can "work" the hardest. It's basically become a meme at this point where people admit that they're in an office 40 hours a week but only actually do 4 or 5 hours of work and dick around on the internet the rest of the time. They've been doing it for years and nobody even notices!

Well actually people do notice but they don't care because chances are most other people in the office are doing precisely the same thing, even your boss, everybody just has to keep up appearances because reasons.

So we're forcing people to sit in a box and do nothing all day during very specific hours so that the traffic is horrendous so that 40 hour week ends up with 10 to 20 hours of just driving to get there to sit in a box and be lonely, sad, and unfulfilled. No wonder depression and addiction are so rampant.

You just described my job in a nutshell. Happy Monday.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

People complain about stores selling Christmas stuff too early, but that's fine, that doesn't hurt anybody.

The real problem, and the thing that there should be laws against, is stores selling Mother's Day stuff too early. Mother's Day is literally a month away but every time I go to Target or Barnes & Noble or whatever and I see their Mother's Day displays I get a small moment of panic thinking I hosed up and almost missed it. Mother's Day stuff should come out no more than two weeks before the day, and if any store puts it out early the entire board of directors and all major shareholders should go to jail.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They have seasonal sections they gotta fill

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
im gone for two days and the thread goes all marxist no-gods-no-masters wrt cops

just stop breaking the law lol.

anyway: anyone who sells shampoo products that "don't burn like hell if they get in your eyes" and they actually do exactly that, should be hung from the gallows with a sign on them saying "SHAMPOO SYMPATHIZER"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

im gone for two days and the thread goes all marxist no-gods-no-masters wrt cops

just stop breaking the law lol.

anyway: anyone who sells shampoo products that "don't burn like hell if they get in your eyes" and they actually do exactly that, should be hung from the gallows with a sign on them saying "SHAMPOO SYMPATHIZER"

just stop putting shampoo in your eyes lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

if they tell me its ok to pour shampoo into my eyes im going to loving do it, i will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars i dont have and then start gofundmes* just to pour more loving shampoo in my eyes gently caress you dad.

*I'll say it's for my shampoo-in-eyes hospital bills

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

instead of rebuilding Notre Dame, they should build something nicer in it's place

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I vote for a gallows to hang the renovators who caused it, as a warning against future shoddy workmanship.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"this historical building should be knocked down instead of renovated despite being important to name of country's history because I, person from different country, do not like it" is always a funny statement to me

grow the gently caress up, you ain't important enough to call for these changes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They don't have to knock it down, it just burned down. They're already gonna be doing a ton of work at that site, might as well try something new

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

They don't have to knock it down, it just burned down. They're already gonna be doing a ton of work at that site, might as well try something new

History matters. It has been an important site for thousands of years even before the cathedral has been built. The main structure has apparently been saved anyway.

What do you want them to put there instead? A mall? A condo tower?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Big statue of Disney’s Quasimodo

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

History matters. It has been an important site for thousands of years even before the cathedral has been built. The main structure has apparently been saved anyway.

A monument to the cathedral fire and a gift shop.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hardcordion posted:

A monument to the cathedral fire and a gift shop.

I would be very surprised if people aren't already gathering ashes from the fire to sell. It would be super easy money. Catholics all over would probably pay hundreds to own a "piece" of such an iconic site.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't know, I'm not an architect. I'm sure that there are a bunch of architects around today who could build something nicer.

Hell, the cathedral probably would've been torn down a long time ago if it weren't for Victor Hugo whining that cathedrals are nicer than books. And he was wrong, books are nicer than cathedrals. That's why that part of the story is left out of all later adaptations, in favor of songs and funny gargoyles

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I don't know, I'm not an architect. I'm sure that there are a bunch of architects around today who could build something nicer.

Hell, the cathedral probably would've been torn down a long time ago if it weren't for Victor Hugo whining that cathedrals are nicer than books. And he was wrong, books are nicer than cathedrals. That's why that part of the story is left out of all later adaptations, in favor of songs and funny gargoyles

have you even ever been there? It's really nice. Just because it was built for jesus reasons doesn't make it any less of an artistic accomplishment. It was objectively really nice to look at.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

have you even ever been there? It's really nice. Just because it was built for jesus reasons doesn't make it any less of an artistic accomplishment. It was objectively really nice to look at.

I'm not saying it wasn't nice. I'm just saying maybe we could do something even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I would be very surprised if people aren't already gathering ashes from the fire to sell. It would be super easy money. Catholics all over would probably pay hundreds to own a "piece" of such an iconic site.

Can’t you still buy rubble from (or “from”) poo poo like the Berlin Wall and 9/11?