Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MonkeyWash posted:

Thanks, I checked mine and the date changed, April 13th instead of the 9th now.

mine changed to may 18th now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mine changed to may 18th now

July 2 for me now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

back to april 10 for me

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I need to call my VSO about my appeal. The VA website still does have anything about it and the guy said he got it filed in October. I should have just driven the thousand miles back to Missouri when I got got the initial appointments. I'm still furious about them not rescheduling for somewhere closer and then denying my disability because I didn't show up for something that they told me was canceled.

And it retrospect I should have just taken the medical discharge for my sleep apnea instead of getting it fixed through surgery.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yo monkeywash i got like 5 pending deposits from thr va now, check yo poo poo

edit: 60% whoop whoop

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 29, 2019

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yo monkeywash i got like 5 pending deposits from thr va now, check yo poo poo

edit: 60% whoop whoop

Good deal!

Mine is still showing July 2.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MonkeyWash posted:

Good deal!

Mine is still showing July 2.

mines showing dec 31st lol

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mines showing dec 31st lol

Mine is for some SMC stuff, I don't know if that means it will take longer or not. I'm expecting to have to appeal it anyway. I currently have another appeal going for TBI-Migraines that hasn't updated in over 6 months. It just says appeals can take 12-18 months lol. If it all goes through it will be a huge backpay, so I can wait.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Post 9/11 GI Bill BAH is based on the BAH national average, correct? I have looked everywhere but I cannot find this number. All of the information I can find is specific to certain ZIP codes.

I ask because I received a letter from the VA saying that I owe them $2,497 that they claim to have overpaid me due to "corrections or changes" to my Chapter 33 information. There have been no changes, so the only thing I can figure is that the rate changed and they didn't correct it until now? I am still attending full-time, have been consistently since January, and have not dropped or failed any classes.

In January they paid me $1,380.40, February they paid me $2,436, and March they paid me two weird amounts, $573 and $744.90. January was a half month, since I started on like the 14th or something. But February and March have both been full months of attendance at full-time.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

Post 9/11 GI Bill BAH is based on the BAH national average, correct? I have looked everywhere but I cannot find this number. All of the information I can find is specific to certain ZIP codes.

National average is if you are exclusively online and is $825.00/month.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch33/ch33rates080118.asp

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I'm not, half of my classes are in person. I am attending UMUC in Germany, but it is not a foreign school, and they state that the BAH is the national average for E5 with dependents. I should be getting 100% of whatever that is, as I am taking 12 credits a semester and half or more are in person.

Edit: Apparently it's $2,436. I still couldn't find this anywhere as what was listed as the "national average," but found it for what I should expect to be paid at the specific school on va.gov

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 2, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don’t have much to offer other than that I was getting a bunch of random GI bill payments then about 4-6 months later had to pay back $3k of overpayments. If you feel it’s an error you can fill out a form and request an audit of your file/account to double check and crunch the numbers.

I think it was also related to the Navy college fund/kicker, which I think most branches have a variation of as a “sign-on bonus.” Pretty much an extra x amount of money on top of GI bill a month while you’re in school, but I think certain parameters make you ineligible. I think I was getting that when I wasn’t supposed to.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nah, after calling them and speaking to four different people for nearly four hours, they can't seem to see why there is a debt and are sending it back to get it looked at again. Really shows what a great system they have that they don't even add a reason for the debt to their records. So in the meantime I'm just hosed because they've decided to start paying me some arbitrary amount that just over half of what I'm supposed to get. Thanks, VA!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Sweet, the VA denied my appeal to them reducing my compensation because the stupid loving Army erroneously reported that I received pay that never actually happened. gently caress it, writing my congresswoman about it rather than deal with these people.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Went in to my county VSO to submit my VA claim almost 19 years after I got out. Have to do a few follow up chores, but they submitted my stop claim form last August. Feel stupid that I waited so long.

I'll probably have some follow up questions for GIP once I get the inevitable denial. The VSO said to file for sleep apnea after my initial filing and don't claim any mental stuff since I have an active clearance.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I still haven’t bothered to file for anything TBH, and I’ve been out since 98.

Maybe because I was ‘Cold War’ only and didn’t trade rounds or deploy...

Plus you guys and gals deserve it more than I do

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Balls to that. It was part of your employment contract.

If it's a legitimate employment related injury, get that medical if nothing else, especially if it's got a possibility of getting worse.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?
Does anyone have any familiarity with TDIU (Total Disability Individual Unemployability)?

I went to my first Voc Rehab appointment this morning and this was one of the options that was given. Im 80% combined, 70% mental health, %10 foot. As we were going thru different options and different ideas that I had, the counselor kept going back to this program. Most of the career options the counselor wasn't sure if they would be a fit due to my issues, which I understand. The thought of actually retiring is one that I've never had, as I'm well below the retirement age. Does anyone have some real world experience with this program?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Magugu posted:

Does anyone have any familiarity with TDIU (Total Disability Individual Unemployability)?

I went to my first Voc Rehab appointment this morning and this was one of the options that was given. Im 80% combined, 70% mental health, %10 foot. As we were going thru different options and different ideas that I had, the counselor kept going back to this program. Most of the career options the counselor wasn't sure if they would be a fit due to my issues, which I understand. The thought of actually retiring is one that I've never had, as I'm well below the retirement age. Does anyone have some real world experience with this program?

I do. You cannot get TDIU while on Voc Rehab.

I met both requirements for TDIU and was categorically denied because I was using Voc Rehab. My lawyer also said that it is not a fight worth pursuing due to the fact that i signed a contract for Voc Rehab stating that I would try to find employment after school. VR counselor confirmed that to me as well.

You could possibly do TDIU before voc rehab but not during.

Your best bet is up your percentage if possible. Talk to a VSO or hire a lawyer to work on your appeal. Best decision I made with this stuff was hiring a lawyer to help with my appeal.

Think about it like this, you may not be able to retire, but you can not worry as much about the money aspect and do more what you enjoy instead.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Soulex posted:

I do. You cannot get TDIU while on Voc Rehab.

I met both requirements for TDIU and was categorically denied because I was using Voc Rehab. My lawyer also said that it is not a fight worth pursuing due to the fact that i signed a contract for Voc Rehab stating that I would try to find employment after school. VR counselor confirmed that to me as well.

You could possibly do TDIU before voc rehab but not during.

Your best bet is up your percentage if possible. Talk to a VSO or hire a lawyer to work on your appeal. Best decision I made with this stuff was hiring a lawyer to help with my appeal.

Think about it like this, you may not be able to retire, but you can not worry as much about the money aspect and do more what you enjoy instead.

That was explicitly stated to me by my counselor. I still have 8 months of post 9/11 benefits, and a semester to my degree. What she didn't explicitly say was that I should do the TDIU and go finish my degree, while trying to bump my rating up with appeals. But that was hinted at more than once. I didn't sign any sort of plan, and I'm still trying to work out what the hell this all means. Dare I say I'm more confused now then when I walked in this morning.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone have advice about having a friend with ptsd both day to day and getting them real help. I'm falling apart at the seams trying to prevent consequences from decisions made in some state of pure fear, hitting this person.

Thanks in advance

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Are they involved with the VA mental health system? Some of the bigger hospitals do walk in mental health m-fri during business hours.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Absolutely no behavioral health at any VA should turn anyone away who walks in during working hours regardless if they take walk-ins or not.

Since it’s now Friday evening, and if you can’t wait until Monday, do you have a VA that has an emergency department or weekend urgent care?

There’s a couple of ways you can talk to someone for you or the other person with the VA crisis line:
https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/veterans-crisis-line.asp

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does anyone have advice about having a friend with ptsd both day to day and getting them real help. I'm falling apart at the seams trying to prevent consequences from decisions made in some state of pure fear, hitting this person.

Thanks in advance

If he is like me, and doesnt find help by talking, try introducing him to art. Or pot. Absolutely mention the VA as I have used it and it really helped when I needed it.

If their actions are making you uncomfortable, let them know in a respectful way. They probably will feel more embarrassed than anything. I hate that I react sometimes the way I do. Art and pot has really REALLY helped me. Mainly though, if someone is making you uncomfortable enough to consider striking them, you may want to reevaluate why you hang out with them.

Also, if there are triggers, steer away from them. One of my friends cant do fireworks at all. Another has panic attacks in traffic.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Soulex posted:

If he is like me, and doesnt find help by talking, try introducing him to art. Or pot. Absolutely mention the VA as I have used it and it really helped when I needed it.

If their actions are making you uncomfortable, let them know in a respectful way. They probably will feel more embarrassed than anything. I hate that I react sometimes the way I do. Art and pot has really REALLY helped me. Mainly though, if someone is making you uncomfortable enough to consider striking them, you may want to reevaluate why you hang out with them.

Also, if there are triggers, steer away from them. One of my friends cant do fireworks at all. Another has panic attacks in traffic.

Thank all three of you, and especially for the art recommendation. If I can steer towards fancy cinema discussion it seems to turn down the bull in the china shop stuff, and if i can get something playing then things get calmer

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sarah posted:

Absolutely no behavioral health at any VA should turn anyone away who walks in during working hours regardless if they take walk-ins or not.

Since it’s now Friday evening, and if you can’t wait until Monday, do you have a VA that has an emergency department or weekend urgent care?

There’s a couple of ways you can talk to someone for you or the other person with the VA crisis line:
https://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention/veterans-crisis-line.asp

Absolutely no VAMC emergency room turn anyone away who walks in, and yet I had it happen.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

McNally posted:

Absolutely no VAMC emergency room turn anyone away who walks in, and yet I had it happen.

I said should. It shouldn’t happen. There’s good VAs and there’s lovely VAs. I know at my behavioral health clinic they will not let anyone go who comes in. Depending on the severity it may not be right that second but you will see someone.

But we have a massive MHC. It’s so large that they bought an off-site building and moved a lot of doctors over there and have built an addition on to the main building which should be done this summer. It will be nice to have my doctor back in the building and when I’m having a bad day I can just stop in. :)

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
My dad's always told me he was in the military but never really elaborated beyond that he was a cook. I found his old paperwork from 1967. How do I read his old dd214 paperwork, specifically why was his service only 7 months 2 days?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Good just be his active time for basic and AIT.

Example mine doesn’t count the 4 plus years I spent in the reserves once I left active.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah if its a dd-214 it could just be his active time for training. mine only has that and my deployment listed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Somewhere near the bottom it should give some info on his discharge, or at least the type.

If you want to scan it and post it, make sure you mask the SSN and whatever other info you want to hide...name, address, etc.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Thanks for all the replies. I am interested in this, if it is worth inserting into a short biography about him.

E removed image

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 8, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yep looks like his training DD214, he was released from active duty to the reserves (USAR).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah, honorable discharge and im guessing ACDUTRA is active duty reserve army

also lol fort leonard wood, that place suuuuuucks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cooks got eighteen weeks of training?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Most likely basic + AIT.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Must be where them dudes who punch out those dope rear end made to order omelets go

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah, honorable discharge and im guessing ACDUTRA is active duty reserve army

also lol fort leonard wood, that place suuuuuucks

Try growing up there. My mom worked at the chow hall most of my childhood. Even after she quit I still lived in that area until I was 18.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

Try growing up there. My mom worked at the chow hall most of my childhood. Even after she quit I still lived in that area until I was 18.

you poor bastard. nothing outside that base but car dealerships and a super wal mart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I lived there for two years. Only thing to do is go fishing.