Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Johnny Truant posted:

This is what I like to hear! Fuuuuuuck I can't wait to hopefully put on like five kilos in ten days. :hampants:

Here's a random question: do people run, like for fitness, around Tokyo? Basically, is there running etiquette? I'm going to start running soon, and gently caress it'd be pretty cool to put in some miles on a different continent.

Yeah, lots of runners. Dunno what you mean by etiquette though. Sidewalk etiquette in general is pretty abysmal in Tokyo, I think the only hard and fast rule is try not to run into anybody on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh, and be sure to headcheck for bicycles before a lateral move.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Tokyo is great for running, used to spend a lot of time running all over. Thee will always be some people blocking the street here and there.

Do the imperial palace run, it’s nice.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

This is what I like to hear! Fuuuuuuck I can't wait to hopefully put on like five kilos in ten days. :hampants:

Here's a random question: do people run, like for fitness, around Tokyo? Basically, is there running etiquette? I'm going to start running soon, and gently caress it'd be pretty cool to put in some miles on a different continent.

That’s what I do each time I go to Tokyo. Just run randomly across different places. The road traffic and street design is actually perfect for runners.

1. For a easy popular city center loop : imperial palace moat which is around 5k per loop, there’s a bit of small inclines up and down so the moat is super balanced for views and runs.

2. There’s the run to yoyogi Park from wherever. Actually outside the yamonote line is basically suburbia in terms of foot traffic so it’s super duper easy to run around, I got lost a few times but it’s kinda near, but honestly meh.

3. I recently did the tama river run which goes for ever and even to Kawasaki.

1 is super accessible and popular and it’s easy to spot the etiquette, everyone’s nice.

3. Is a little hardcore but you go through different river banks and see different residential districts and a variety views - a super slice of life view and feels like an anime riverbank scene

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Oh, and be sure to headcheck for bicycles before a lateral move.

They almost crashed into me a few times :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

They almost crashed into me a few times :(

Because you didn't headcheck.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also the Sumida river is probably one of the best places to run in the entire world. Google it, if you can find a hotel nearby so much the better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Awesome, thanks for all the advice y'all! I'm a biker myself so you bet your rear end I am always looking for them.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Do the imperial palace run, it’s nice.

This also sounds super fuckin cool!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

Sidewalk etiquette in general is pretty abysmal in Tokyo, I think the only hard and fast rule is try not to run into anybody on purpose.

I assumed most of the time you were meant to walk on the left side, like the way traffic is on the left. But the only place I ever saw a sign about it was in Gion in Kyoto and it said to keep to the right so I dunno. I felt like generally people were keeping left in Tokyo?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Kansai tends to do the opposite of Tokyo with which side you move on

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Bloodnose posted:

I assumed most of the time you were meant to walk on the left side, like the way traffic is on the left. But the only place I ever saw a sign about it was in Gion in Kyoto and it said to keep to the right so I dunno. I felt like generally people were keeping left in Tokyo?

Nope. I mean officially under some arcane textbook probably yes, but in actuality nobody cares or obeys it at all.

However if a sign does say walk left or right or go up stairs left or right, definitely obey that. Also escalators. The reason those signs are there are to manage actual traffic flow (when there are times there are too many people).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We talk a lot about lunch and dinner. Any breakfast recs, or is that basically the same as lunch and dinner? Western breakfasts are pretty simple to find, but I’m not sure what to look for when it comes to local breakfasts. As fair as I can tell, breakfasts are just typical dishes like grilled fish soup and rice. Is that it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tamago kake gohan is the only specifically breakfasty food I can think of in Japan.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
If you're staying at a nice ryokan you'll get a good breakfast with miso soup, rice, grilled fish and veggie dishes. Maybe some natto for good measure. Eating breakfast in a restaurant is a bit harder because it's not so popular for Japanese people. The usual choices are to hit up a 24hr chain restaurant, snack at a conbini, wait for lunch or stop by a bakery.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ミスタードーナツ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dad took a picture of someone on the subway and didn’t have manner mode on :v:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Western breakfasts are pretty simple to find

:raise:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Like in a hotel maybe.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Why.. was he taking a photo... of a complete stranger?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, pastries and coffee are simple to find. I could prolly get hot cakes and bacon and eggs at a family restaurant, I guess.

Johnny Truant posted:

Why.. was he taking a photo... of a complete stranger?

Also there was a very dapper old man sitting in front of us. And a guy wearing a Taco Hell jacket.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Royal Host is the only chain I know that has anything resembling a western breakfast and it's... not authentic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
where's the closest bojangles in japan?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

where's the closest bojangles in japan?

:(

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
For my breakfast every morning on my trip I'm gonna go 7-11 slumming

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

arisu posted:

:hmmyes:

E: VVV Mine was iced coffee and either a red bean bun or a curry bento

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 16, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

arisu posted:

Its what I'm doing. Nothing says vacation like a blueberry cupcake and real gold black(basically coke with more caffeine) for breakfast.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Y'all should do yourselves right and hit up bakeries instead (Vie de France, Little Mermaid, or w/e). Basically the same kinda stuff, but you can get it fresh.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I mean, I'm gonna do that too, but I live in asian central in California so asian bakeries are pretty common place around here.

I probably live within a 5 mile radius of like, 3 Japanese bakeries, 5 Korean bakeries, and like 15 Chinese/Taiwanese bakeries lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh nice.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Kakigori for breakfast imo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I could prolly get hot cakes and bacon and eggs at a family restaurant, I guess

Nope. And pancakes and French toast both are much more of a “girls’ lunch dessert” than “breakfast platter” food here anyways.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
eat natto

for every meal

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

eat natto

for every meal

*gags*

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

eat natto

for every meal

Did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Any suggestions for day trips from Tokyo? I'm mostly going to eat at different places over the course of a week but would also like to see some places that aren't too far. I've been to Kamakura before but will be going back there with friends since they've not done the trip yet but don't have any other ideas besides this.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nikko, Mt Fuji, Kamakura, Atami

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

Kak for breakfast imo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
denny's

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

your dad is why japanese and korean phones can't mute the camera shutter sound!!!

Also Japan has A+ food but D- breakfast IMO, esp compared to the rest of Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i like a piece of fish and rice for breakfast, but it does leave some to be desired