Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of Legacy, do I remember correctly that there was going to be an SRD at some point ?

Because I found a setting that would be perfect for a Legacyalike RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, it's next on my to-do list after getting these final books out. I'm considering just asking the Blades folks who did theirs, and if I can hire them - I want the site to be a resource for guidance on how to make Legacy games as well as a basic set of rules if you want to put the Worlds of Legacy stamp on your book.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Tibbeh posted:

I'm going to be doing a one shot of Sprawl with two friends who I usually play shadowrun with. Any suggestions for a fun run idea?
For a run, no, but if you want Shadowrun in the Sprawl try this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1If8nBsl73CFxyy1x951le8VNYYVL9xDr

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hello lovely PBTA thread, I wonder if you can help me out.

I have a concept for a campaign I want to run for some friends - the conceit is loosely that the PCs are members of a travelling circus who get into scrapes at each new place they perform at. (I wanted a way for the party to have murderhobo adventures while travelling but be tied to a community, and have a way for them all to play complete weirdos as that's what they enjoy).

The setting is loosely weird future (think borderlands or star wars, lots of broken tech and weird alien races) and any help with the fluff would be welcome, but what I really need is:

- a pbta setting that I can hack into that level of tech, with classes that make sense also as performers (the rogue can obviously do card tricks too, the wizard can do lightshows, the duelist can do acrobatics, the witch can read fortunes, that kind of thing, but with more interesting classes)
- and some ideas on how to make moves for their performances (I want the setup of the circus and everyone's act to be a part of the session - how do I represent people doing well and the crowd loving it, or loving up and causing a riot?)

I'm, well, new to GMing but have been given a lot of leeway by my players to just freestyle everything and make poo poo up, but I'd like to give myself some consistency and a framework to base things on as it'll help me focus.

Any ideas?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

occluded posted:

Hello lovely PBTA thread, I wonder if you can help me out.

I have a concept for a campaign I want to run for some friends - the conceit is loosely that the PCs are members of a travelling circus who get into scrapes at each new place they perform at. (I wanted a way for the party to have murderhobo adventures while travelling but be tied to a community, and have a way for them all to play complete weirdos as that's what they enjoy).

The setting is loosely weird future (think borderlands or star wars, lots of broken tech and weird alien races) and any help with the fluff would be welcome, but what I really need is:

- a pbta setting that I can hack into that level of tech, with classes that make sense also as performers (the rogue can obviously do card tricks too, the wizard can do lightshows, the duelist can do acrobatics, the witch can read fortunes, that kind of thing, but with more interesting classes)
- and some ideas on how to make moves for their performances (I want the setup of the circus and everyone's act to be a part of the session - how do I represent people doing well and the crowd loving it, or loving up and causing a riot?)

I'm, well, new to GMing but have been given a lot of leeway by my players to just freestyle everything and make poo poo up, but I'd like to give myself some consistency and a framework to base things on as it'll help me focus.

Any ideas?

There’s a couple of ‘travelling circus’ pbta games in the works at the moment actually! Under Hollow Hills is a fairy circus game by Meguey and Vincent Baker, while Crossroads Carnival is a Great Depression Dustbowl game from Kate Bullock drawing heavily on Carnivale. Of the two Crossroads Carnival might be easier to hack, I’m not sure.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The most recent dev update of Under Hollow Hills had the “Mistress of Ceremonies” replaced as the GM term by “the Peanut Gallery” which I thought was hilarious.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Is there a Gundam-inspired hack that's any good?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is there a Gundam-inspired hack that's any good?

There's Beam Saber which is a Blades in the Dark hack but I came short of playing it so I can't really tell you how it compares to its original

Austria felix nube
Mar 17, 2017

Bella gerant alii, tu Austria felix nube.
Hello, thread!

Are there any good Apocalypse World actual plays on youtube you would reccomend?

Thanks!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Austria felix nube posted:

Are there any good Apocalypse World actual plays on youtube you would reccomend?
Adam Koebel and crew did one on Roll20 that's pretty good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ilor posted:

Adam Koebel and crew did one on Roll20 that's pretty good.

Two, actually. One with the 1st edition and the brief participation of Austin Walker, one with the 2nd edition.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Here's a question our group has never encountered before: Are Special moves exempt from the take a move from another playbook advances?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
In what system?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Poor guy was posting too early in his morning. BlackIronHeart's question comes from the Apocalypse World 2E game that Ilor is running.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

BlackIronHeart posted:

Here's a question our group has never encountered before: Are Special moves exempt from the take a move from another playbook advances?

I feel like RAW you couldn't because special moves aren't moves you can take, but if a player wanted to do that I don't think I'd ever say no.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That was kind of where I was at. As a fan of the characters, I think it's loving awesome.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hi PbtA thread! I'm starting a new RPG group and I'm wondering what the new hotness is for PbtA games. I want to provide people with some diverse options to choose between. My current list is Apocalypse World, Fellowship, Legacy, Masks, Monster of the Week, The Sprawl, Urban Shadows, City of Mist, and Blades in the Dark. (I've intentionally left Monsterhearts and Dungeon World off the list.) Am I missing any notable, good games?

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Arivia posted:

Hi PbtA thread! I'm starting a new RPG group and I'm wondering what the new hotness is for PbtA games. I want to provide people with some diverse options to choose between. My current list is Apocalypse World, Fellowship, Legacy, Masks, Monster of the Week, The Sprawl, Urban Shadows, City of Mist, and Blades in the Dark. (I've intentionally left Monsterhearts and Dungeon World off the list.) Am I missing any notable, good games?
Undying, Sagas of the Icelanders, Night Witches and World Wide Wrestling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arivia posted:

The sci-fi version of Blades Scum and Villainy, maybe?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
The cyberpunk/Shadowrun version of Blades, Karma in the Dark.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mashed, Legacy et al, Impulse Drive, Spirit of '77.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm a sucker for Pigsmoke

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’m about to run World Wide Wrestling. I’ve played (or ran) any PBtA games games but it seems easy enough. Any tips for running the system as a whole or WWW specifically?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Asnorban posted:

I’m about to run World Wide Wrestling. I’ve played (or ran) any PBtA games games but it seems easy enough. Any tips for running the system as a whole or WWW specifically?

With WWW, drink at least 2 beers and everything will flow naturally

Seriously though the right thing to do is stick to the Principles, Agendas and GM moves like glue. Keep them in front of you.

Other than that, don't have a structured narrative in mind (beyond the basic Wrestling Tournament structure of course). Play to find out what happens.

Don't forget the Commentator mechanics and the Run-in moves, since there can be a bit of downtime for some of the PCs that aren't fighting so these stop them from getting too bored.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Asnorban posted:

Make NPWs ego driven, bad at their job, or tied to such ppl. Ideally each match has in and out of ring stakes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, so I'm running Monster of the Week. Anything I should know, any advice? We'll be doing the usual pick playbooks and play the first session in two weeks.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arivia posted:

Okay, so I'm running Monster of the Week. Anything I should know, any advice? We'll be doing the usual pick playbooks and play the first session in two weeks.
Have you run PbtA games before? If you have, you'll be fine. If you haven't, one of the biggest things to keep in mind is that PbtA games don't really have "rounds" or "initiative" or whatever. Not every single squeeze of the trigger is going to be its own "kick some rear end" roll, and as the Keeper you have carte blanche to zoom in or out on the action as much as necessary to make the narrative interesting. Make the sure monster is doing stuff too, as it's easy to get too focused on the PCs' actions and have the monster effectively stand there like a dope while the PCs thrash it. Finally, be prepared to make stuff up out of whole cloth when your players "investigate a mystery," as you'll need to come up with some plausible way they can glean the bit of information needed to answer whatever question they asked. And when it comes to answering those questions, you have to be honest but you don't have to be complete. You don't have to come right out and say, "yeah, it's totally a ghost" when they ask "what type of monster is this?" And finally, there's no move to "re-investigate a mystery" - once they've asked their questions, they've gotten all they can from that investigative scene. That will let you keep up the suspense and pace how clues are coming out.

Let us know how it goes!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ilor posted:

Have you run PbtA games before? If you have, you'll be fine. If you haven't, one of the biggest things to keep in mind is that PbtA games don't really have "rounds" or "initiative" or whatever. Not every single squeeze of the trigger is going to be its own "kick some rear end" roll, and as the Keeper you have carte blanche to zoom in or out on the action as much as necessary to make the narrative interesting. Make the sure monster is doing stuff too, as it's easy to get too focused on the PCs' actions and have the monster effectively stand there like a dope while the PCs thrash it. Finally, be prepared to make stuff up out of whole cloth when your players "investigate a mystery," as you'll need to come up with some plausible way they can glean the bit of information needed to answer whatever question they asked. And when it comes to answering those questions, you have to be honest but you don't have to be complete. You don't have to come right out and say, "yeah, it's totally a ghost" when they ask "what type of monster is this?" And finally, there's no move to "re-investigate a mystery" - once they've asked their questions, they've gotten all they can from that investigative scene. That will let you keep up the suspense and pace how clues are coming out.

Let us know how it goes!

I've run Dungeon World a bit, which I hated because I love D&D and the PbtA mindset didn't work for how I run my dungeon crawls and poo poo. (It was like a peanut butter and garlic sandwich.) I've played Monsterhearts a bit. I know I have a lot of different learning to do, but I'm excited to try a very different rhythm and focus than what I usually do.

E: how are the fan playbooks for MotW? I know one of my players is big into crazy monsters, he might like the Summoned or the Mad Scientist.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 21, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Arivia posted:

I've run Dungeon World a bit, which I hated because I love D&D and the PbtA mindset didn't work for how I run my dungeon crawls and poo poo. (It was like a peanut butter and garlic sandwich.) I've played Monsterhearts a bit. I know I have a lot of different learning to do, but I'm excited to try a very different rhythm and focus than what I usually do.

E: how are the fan playbooks for MotW? I know one of my players is big into crazy monsters, he might like the Summoned or the Mad Scientist.

You'll need to bring them up to second ed standards if you're running second ed (shouldn't be hard, there's a little epilogue chapter explaining the changes). The Summoned and the Mad Scientist are maybe the only two alternatives I'd consider? Nothing else really has that "here's what I do that other playbooks can't" feel to it. (Even then, The Summoned isn't that far off from The Chosen, though I like the "hit someone with a bus" move it brings to the table, and the Mad Scientist is not so far off from a Spellslinger or an Expert, but I can see all of them with their own niche just the same.)

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Summoned isn't a fan playbook, it's one of the extra playbooks provided by the creator, like Apocalypse World's Limited Edition playbooks. I think it's pretty neat. That said, if that player wants to be a monster, the Monstrous (in the core) is also worth a look and might actually be better suited depending.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The rockstar is good, I think the hexed is another.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just started a new game of Monster of the Week, too. The first session was good, but getting my head around the way this game works is going to take some time.

There are some new playbooks in Tome of Mysteries that are pretty neat, although I feel like they're a bit less focused. I think all of my players individually asked "What's the Searcher's deal?" and I can't really say that I know exactly, at least not in the pithy "It's Xander from Buffy" way I can describe the other playbooks.

How do people feel about allowing more than one person to use the Monstrous playbook? I have at least two people who are interested in that playbook, and it's pretty versatile in what it can do. I'm also considering just making a "Vampire" or "Ghost" playbook to let some other people be monsters, maybe steal some Moves from Urban Shadows.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I have found the game fails when there isn’t at least some normal people in the party, and one person per play balances out the weirdness across various causes.
You could make someone an expert and give them a move to reflect they’re a ghost, for example

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Just finished a 30 session campaign of a persona City of Mist game and it worked really well and was a lot of fun, but things got a little chaotic when fights were happening.

Now going to be running World Wide Wrestling for people who have varying degrees of experience with wrestling. Is there anything I should know about the game before I start? It seems pretty straight forward but I'm not too sure about the dynamic when a player is wrestling a NPW.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Now going to be running World Wide Wrestling for people who have varying degrees of experience with wrestling. Is there anything I should know about the game before I start? It seems pretty straight forward but I'm not too sure about the dynamic when a player is wrestling a NPW.

Scroll up. :)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suggest the players less familiar with pro wrestling watch either the Steven Universe episode “Tiger Millionaire” (11 min) of the season two finale of The Chris Gethard Show “Fight for the Fish w/ John Hamm” (40 min).

Both of those are the best summaries of pro wrestling I’ve seen. The TCGS ep is on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/W8awydCqNxQ

That said, handing people the mic and Run-in move are two of my favorite things about the game. I had a friend join a Roll 20 game two hours late after being stuck at work, spend ten minutes getting caught up before being handed the mic, then saying “I run in” partway through a title match and rolling well enough to be at the top of the card next session without disrupting the spirit of the game.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Need help with the idea of Conditions that I'm using for my Planescape hack.

Basically, I want conditions to be like emotional states that affect a PC alignment stats by raising or lowering it. These stats are Chaos and Order and they go from -3 to +3 and sum up to zero, so if you're Chaotic you'll probably have something like Chaos+2 Order-2 or something.

The conditions I came up with are: Shaken (lower your main alignment stat by 1), Inspired (raise your main aligned stat by 1) and Enraged (don't affect alignments at all, instead giving +1 harm forward but also guaranteeing collateral/friendly harm). These Conditions would be applied by basic Moves (like Seduce or Manipulate), and also Planes Moves ("when you enter Limbo, get Shaken unless you're Chaotic aligned").

The question is: how to make those alignment changes feel organical and not something in constant flux, rising and dropping wildly through a session? My first reaction is to make a Condition change happen only once per session, but then I risk making players not caring for it at all.

Edit: I forgot to say how those Alignment stats are used: they're the main stats used by playbook Moves. Ie: Chaosman moves would mostly roll with Chaos, while Harmonium moves would mostly roll with Order, etc. So its important for PCs to keep those high (while lowering those from adversaries).

lessavini fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 25, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean masks doesn’t manipulate your stats with conditions, they just give you penalties until you shake them.

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Hmmm so I'll make conditions temporary, going away when something in the fiction dictates (or maybe a move like "When you have time and solitude to meditate or center yourself, clean any Conditions").

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’m thinking of running a noir set in 50s LA. Any system recommendations? Don’t know if monster of the week will do what I want it to.