Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
each of the demiurges exemplifies a form of toxic coping mechanisms

jadis is going to turn out to have the universes absolute worst case of prodigy syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
in a surprise twist, jagganoth is actually 100% stable and fine, he's grown beyond his emo poetry and omnicide phase and the army he originally meant to annihilate the multiverse will bring only peace and happiness and he will abdicate his throne in favor of Al Yis-Un

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 15, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Given how many planned books are left, this could be true.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

habeasdorkus posted:

Given how many planned books are left, this could be true.

we don't actually have textual evidence that my ridiculous theory is wrong!

all of our sources on Jagganoth being an omnicidal maniac are people who are terrified of Jagganoth and who are not Jagganoth

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

slightly less surprising twist, jagganoth retires and becomes robert frost, because he has to at least commit a few more atrocities

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Jagganoth isn't the hero you wanted, he's just the hero you got.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

slightly less surprising twist, jagganoth retires and becomes robert frost, because he has to at least commit a few more atrocities

Two roads diverged near a throne, and I—
I took the one less conquered by,
And that has made all the difference.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It certainly seems possible that Jagganoth is not omnicidal but just finds it convenient to be thought of as being omnicidal. There are definitely some benefits to the other demiurges believing he's out to end the universe.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rand Brittain posted:

It certainly seems possible that Jagganoth is not omnicidal but just finds it convenient to be thought of as being omnicidal. There are definitely some benefits to the other demiurges believing he's out to end the universe.

Maybe he doesn't want to kill everyone and everything, just a very long list of specific people and places

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Maybe he doesn't want to kill everyone and everything, just a very long list of specific people and places

TBF isn't that most people? Even the kindest, best person probably has a list that they think of on bad days where they're like "man, I would 100% want to erase them from history." As someone who is definitely not the kindest or best person, I got a list a mile fuckin' long, in size 8 font.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Six billion entries in the 'to kill' list.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres a lot of kissingers in the k6bd universe

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Tollymain posted:

theres a lot of kissingers in the k6bd universe

The real one is in Himself's cage.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Come on, there's no need to demean Himself like that

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
ok folks i've got a dissertation about Incubus that's gonna be peer reviewed by the magpie chilling on the other side of this bench, brace yourselves

it's fine and noble enough to want to be good at something. best noodle stand in town, top business in your field, whatever - you're not risking anything but failure and no harm done either way. Not swords, though. Trying to be the best swordsman in the multiverse is selfish and cruel; there's no use for a sword except splitting people open, and attempting it means betting your life and others'. The best thing Meti ever did in life was let hers rust.

Incubus goes for it anyway, because he wants to capital-w Win. He puts up his life as the stake in that wager, saying, "I am or will be the mightiest thing there is; my continued existence is proof." What he has to do in order to reach the top of this hill is go find the most strongest practitioners of sword law, and invite them to try and kill him while he tries to kill them back. (Note that this is idiotic.) He kills his master and whoever else, does the whole hero's journey thing. Then he goes after Maya.

And instead of fighting, she quits. So maybe he was the greatest swordsman in the multiverse! Maybe! But he didn't know for sure, and still doesn't. That's his first problem.

The second problem is what happens to every champion: eventually, someone comes along who's better than you. What now?

If you're not a dumbass, you congratulate them and go do something else. If you are a dumbass, and you decided you really wanted to be the King of Swords, then you've just been killed in a sword fight. Neither of these are acceptable to Incubus (though I'm sure Meti would've preferred he embrace the latter), so he goes for option C: to spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder, making sure nobody with the drive to beat him can get close to that kind of power without his consent. But he doesn't dare just go kill these potential rivals, because he still doesn't know for sure whether or not he really is the proper King of Swords - maybe he couldn't have beaten Maya, and maybe he can't beat these other schmucks either.

Much safer to hijack their ambitions and dump them into this Pit of his - until one day he realizes that he's spending so much time and effort mindfucking these Joe & Jane Dumbasses into there that there's no way he's even close to being the best any more. Look at the guy, I doubt he can even walk properly without that sword-cane. This is a problem, because he still wants to Win.

So he's got a new bet going, on Allison and the war. I'm very curious to see what winning looks like to him now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Schwarzwald posted:

Is Maya's student here someone we've seen before? One of the less adorned pursuers, perhaps?

Like Brought to You By said, it looks like it's Monkey.

Her sheathed sword hilt matches the one Monkey was using in the fight on Mottom's party castle:

Abbadon must have decided to switch the sword colors around at some point, but they match in Monkey's last appearance, where she's staring in awe of Maya after watching her cut an angel in half:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im happy that its implied she still has her helmet, its a good helmet

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think this is like the first scene that both of them have been in where there's something other than orange lighting on them. It's always been a Hell/the bowels of Mottom's palace/sunset/the Vault.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nuns with Guns posted:

Her sheathed sword hilt matches the one Monkey was using in the fight on Mottom's party castle:

Abbadon must have decided to switch the sword colors around at some point, but they match in Monkey's last appearance, where she's staring in awe of Maya after watching her cut an angel in half:

Do- do you not see Monkey not knowing who Maya is in the bottom panel, while the woman in the flashback calls her master?

They're pretty clearly different characters!

e/ to clarify, I'm pretty sure the most recent page of the comic is still a flashback. I don't see present day noodle drunk auntie Maya taking on any students as being very likely. I don't think she'll even give enough of a poo poo about Incubus anymore to be bothered explaining their history to Allison when they meet again, which is why we're having to hear her explain it to a past pupil.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 16, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do- do you not see Monkey not knowing who Maya is in the most recent panel, while the woman in the flashback calls her master?

What makes you think the latest page is a flashback?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Do- do you not see Monkey not knowing who Maya is in the most recent panel, while the woman in the flashback calls her master?

When time has passed, events may have occured, even unseen. Events like possibly, monkey realising it's maya and trying to be her student while maya says "I'm not your master."

I don't see present day noodle drunk auntie Maya taking on any students as being very likely.

Well she says she's not her master, so this doesn't put any requirement towards this being a flashback!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sometimes people look a lot different cleaned up as opposed to when theyre murdering people

i mean, yes, most murder is committed indirectly by the well-heeled in their finest, but we call those people businessmen, not warriors

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's been a year since that last panel with Monkey and Maya. The Pursuers have apparently lost the scent, since Allison and co have been living sedentary lives presumably without being attacked constantly by a giant train of fools.

Well, not those fools, anyway.

Seems perfectly reasonable for Maya to be reminiscing to her not-student in some sort of statue garden as our re-introduction to them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hm. Maybe I've just gotten used to everything being dirty in the present, and associate cleanliness with the past; that's the only reason I can think why I'd just assume this page was a flashback.

Also I kind of forgot we'd had a time skip at all, and that it might have had an effect on characters other than Allison

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
neither of them have a choice in the matter, imo

monkey cant force maya to be her master and maya cant do much about monkey being her student

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 16, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

maya cant do much about monkey being her student

Oh, she certainly can, but she's probably feeling JUST teacher-y enough (see: telling monkey this story instead of just completely ignoring her) that just up and killing her would make her feel kinda bad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tollymain posted:

im happy that its implied she still has her helmet, its a good helmet
The helmet was like the best part back when she first showed up. Really compliments the whole outfit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

i mean if they turn out to be the same character great and all but these two images of these two people literally have nothing in common except maybe the necklace

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

reignonyourparade posted:

Oh, she certainly can, but she's probably feeling JUST teacher-y enough (see: telling monkey this story instead of just completely ignoring her) that just up and killing her would make her feel kinda bad.

From the (non-)reaction to that statement, I'm gonna guess this "I'm not your master" dance is a daily thing that Monkey ignores because Maya begrudgingly trains her anyway. She does say she won't poison her "further".

Well, she could be referring to Monkey's existing sword skill, of course. But training someone against your better judgement seems to be a tradition in the sword craft, at least for Maya.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

i mean if they turn out to be the same character great and all but these two images of these two people literally have nothing in common except maybe the necklace

The sword is the same design but different colours, and with that and the necklace it's probably not a coincidence.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

reignonyourparade posted:

that would just make her a dead student

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
She hates him not because he killed her master and fed her to the dogs, but because she didn't.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Do- do you not see Monkey not knowing who Maya is in the bottom panel, while the woman in the flashback calls her master?

e/ to clarify, I'm pretty sure the most recent page of the comic is still a flashback. I don't see present day noodle drunk auntie Maya taking on any students as being very likely. I don't think she'll even give enough of a poo poo about Incubus anymore to be bothered explaining their history to Allison when they meet again, which is why we're having to hear her explain it to a past pupil.

My read is that this is a jump to the present and Monkey and Maya have spent the past year going "Teach me, master!" "I'm not your master!"

Almost like some daughter of a noodle vendor we've heard so much about...

Cowcaster posted:

They look the same (minus grime and blood) in that other image I posted that you cut out. I'm going to guess Abbadon revised her character design a bit and lightened her skin because it's a few shades lighter even in the panel where they're clearly meant to be the same person because she's got the same outfit and sword.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Paramemetic posted:

She hates him not because he killed her master and fed her to the dogs, but because she didn't.

maybe he doesn't like noodles?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

They look the same (minus grime and blood) in that other image I posted that you cut out. I'm going to guess Abbadon revised her character design a bit and lightened her skin because it's a few shades lighter even in the panel where they're clearly meant to be the same person because she's got the same outfit and sword.

Yeah it's not the first time a character has changed appearance as Abbadon's art style + skill changes. Look how different Allison looks now compared to originally (her face, not her ripped body).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean, getting ripped absolutely does change your face too, check out the ultimate transformation thread in YLLS (or maybe the goldmine?) sometime

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean, getting ripped absolutely does change your face too, check out the ultimate transformation thread in YLLS (or maybe the goldmine?) sometime

From what I know it's mainly body fat levels that changes the face, not getting ripped per se. But yeah.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

builds character posted:

maybe he doesn't like noodles?

This was obvious from when we saw he'd rather cut off every hair on his head with a sword than go for the noodles.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Probably used too much pepper again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Probably used too much pepper again.

Turns out he was starving because he had standards Yisun Damnit!