Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Did Solice Kirsk make that first confession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
To the op about the lovely friends I went through the same thing when I was in my early 20s. It's just something we all have to deal with at some point in our life I feel like.

What you need around you is people with good hearts and intentions for you. Yall have a lot of history sure, but when it comes down to it what sacrifices are your "friends" really willing to make to help you when you need it?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The other thing that happens when your life moves on is eventually so does everyone else's. You'll find in a few years they'll have kids, jobs and responsibilities and they'll all start to face this.

Honestly if you value them as friends be open that your busy and when you can be there make it quality time. Don't be afraid to make new friends either.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Friends goon, i feel ya, I'm kinda in the same predicament with the caveat that some of them are growing to be cool and good people but keep hanging out with the fuckheads.

My planned solution is moving away and builiding a new social life from the ground up while keeping in contact with the good ones. That way I can snub out those people who just keep hanging around because we've been drinking beer in front of the local convenience store since we were teenagers. Some people never really changed in a decade, it's kind of sad now that they have kids and poo poo and keep loving up their lives while still being supported by their parents.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dodoman posted:

Did Solice Kirsk make that first confession?

Ha, I pretty much aired stuff like that out in here with out being anonymous. It's a super common thing people go through in their 20's.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Deatbeat FriendsGoon your ‘friends’ are exactly that- deadbeats who either are trying to actively, or will passively drag you back down to their level

Perhaps maintain contact with one or two that you are/were particularly close with, but only to the extent that you can be notified when they stop being deadbeats as above, but otherwise leave them behind

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

My experience with Reddit has been almost entirely terrible.

The adage, "Reddit: Where there are only 2 genders but 7 kinds of pedophile" is entirely true in my experience. Every time I casually mention being trans, usually because it's relevant to the topic at hand, if I am in the 99% of Reddit not built for trans/nb people, I get attack helicopter/"did you just assume my gender"/etc, basically all the 2015 jokes, straight slurs, and direct, personal attacks on ME, usually based on information that could only be obtained by scrolling through my profile, back through 2 years of activity, because these people have nothing better to do with their times.

But whenever I talk about how, say, pedophilia is bad, which one would THINK is a common belief for most, I get a thousand replies that all ready like "Um AKSHUALLY I'm a Non-Contacting Anti-Contacting MINOR-ATTRACTED-PERSON AND EPHEBEBEBOPHILE AND THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THAT AND PEDOPHILIA you stupid [slurs withheld]"

like jesus christ why is Reddit so terrible

I find that Reddit's sports discussion area is, astoundingly, better than SA's, but if you're trying to talk about politics or attempting to reveal yourself as any kind of minority whatsoever there you're not going to have a good time

Reddit is the kind of place where someone can tell me, a Jewish person, that Jews are obsessed with racial purity and won't let you into heaven if your mom wasn't Jewish, and get 20 upvotes, and if I say "actually most of the Jews I know are half-breeds, including myself, and I know a lot of Jews. And formal conversion has been allowed in Judaism for centuries. And, uhhhh, Judaism doesn't have a heaven or hell :confused:" I get a karma score of -6

This one has a passphrase matching a person who complained about people in the r/r thread somehow getting more action than them

quote:

I became a wizard a few weeks ago, so I totally get what the incelgoon is saying. That said, he seems like a real piece of work. It’s nice to have company even if the company isn’t that great :smith:

I’m thinking about hiring professional help. On the one hand, I don’t want to end up like that goon with the nurgle-tar who kept creeping out women after he improved himself because he was so used to professionals. On the other hand, I seem to have the “creeping out women” thing anyway so I’m not sure what difference it will make. Any thoughts, gentlegoons?

It certainly can't hurt! Even if it doesn't directly A->B get you laid more, working out your issues is worth doing for its own sake :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL rookie mistake, you became a regular wizard instead of a sex wizard.

Reddit Goon: Hell, Same! Reddit is works as great aggregator for internet content, and for certain video games, like Destiny, it has become the de facto platform for the fans.

My experience with Reddit purely as a lurker mirrors yours. Everytime I look up something innocuous, like if my lightning laser works on these specific aliens or something, I’m frankly blown away by how rapidly it degenerates into slurs. It’s as if these people are just obsessively waiting in the shadows to just hurl racism and misogyny.

I’ve had very bad experiences on SA because the vitriol and so on, but even when I eat a probe I am grateful for moderation, such as it is, because Reddit shows you that the Internet was basically a mistake.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I think it's worth some self-reflection and noting that SA until recently hasn't been all that much better than Reddit on that front. Never quite as out-and-out hostile to minorities but still kinda poo poo.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

loquacius posted:

I find that Reddit's sports discussion area is, astoundingly, better than SA's,

holy poo poo this is so wrong

especially for basketball

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stevie Lee posted:

I will concede that r/NBA makes me roll my eyes a lot and that I've never really tried reading basketball stuff on SA much

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

I think it's worth some self-reflection and noting that SA until recently hasn't been all that much better than Reddit on that front. Never quite as out-and-out hostile to minorities but still kinda poo poo.

Yeah I understand that we have real nazis here, they live ON the Internet, but today I can go post “here’s my sorceress!” in the Diablo thread here and there won’t be literally 30 posts in an hour about how she’s black and “I wouldn’t gently caress her, wrists are too skinny!” and then just a bunch of ethnic slurs and slurs about women, immediately and unprovoked.

If you’ve never seen it in action, trust us when we say there is no hyperbole.

Hell I remember one time we raised money to send a beloved mod from TGRS to a Black Panther (the movie) convention. Some Nazi goons actually reported the Patreon we set up for her, like how could a black person have anything nice for even a second! It got sorted and she went and had a good time, but that thread was the only place talking about it, meaning Nazi lurkers read the black people thread and just waited for an excuse to ruin something or take joy from minorities.

Also I don’t forget or fondly recall the “No Mods, No Masters” era, which was basically calciform irony posting made into a lovely threshing machine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

It certainly can't hurt! Even if it doesn't directly A->B get you laid more, working out your issues is worth doing for its own sake :)

I have a feeling fesher and you are talking about different professionals

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I have a feeling fesher and you are talking about different professionals

lol on second read you're right

Amending my answer: anon it probably won't help because the act itself isn't what you're missing out on, I'd recommend the other kind instead

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

loquacius posted:

I will concede that r/NBA makes me roll my eyes a lot and that I've never really tried reading basketball stuff on SA much

I think it's just a different architecture

At least for baseball, which is the sport I'm usually reading up on, Reddit has a greater ability to silo off discussion into separate threads and even separate subreddits, which can make it easier to find quality content than SA's "here's a thread a week full of everything anyone has to say on any variation of this topic" model.

Considered as a whole, I think SAS has better and smarter posters - or at least a greater density of good posters as compared to bad ones - but sometimes leafing through a bunch of posts about stuff you don't care about in order to find the posts about the stuff you do care about can obscure that fact.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Any cross platform video game thread is literally unusable for the first two weeks while PC players work their poo poo out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I only ever go to Reddit if I want to watch a football game or something that isn't airing in my region. I will never venture deeper into Reddit until these forums disappear completely.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mfcrocker posted:

Goons have their own bullshit but most of us are willing to work to improve it, and the mods usually nuke anyone who refuses to try

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

We're really lucky, the NBA threads here are a gem. I'd pay a monthly fee just to read them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I understand that we have real nazis here, they live ON the Internet, but today I can go post “here’s my sorceress!” in the Diablo thread here and there won’t be literally 30 posts in an hour about how she’s black and “I wouldn’t gently caress her, wrists are too skinny!” and then just a bunch of ethnic slurs and slurs about women, immediately and unprovoked.

If you’ve never seen it in action, trust us when we say there is no hyperbole.

Hell I remember one time we raised money to send a beloved mod from TGRS to a Black Panther (the movie) convention. Some Nazi goons actually reported the Patreon we set up for her, like how could a black person have anything nice for even a second! It got sorted and she went and had a good time, but that thread was the only place talking about it, meaning Nazi lurkers read the black people thread and just waited for an excuse to ruin something or take joy from minorities.

Also I don’t forget or fondly recall the “No Mods, No Masters” era, which was basically calciform irony posting made into a lovely threshing machine.

oh god yeah don't get me wrong Reddit is to go a level beyond :ssj:

purple death ray posted:

Goons have their own bullshit but most of us are willing to work to improve it, and the mods usually nuke anyone who refuses to try

think this is a bit rose-tinted

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Incel posted:

I miss the days when you could take a girl dancing, talk about art, and then go make love.

You've never gotten laid. You've never experienced this. You can't miss it because you've never had it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also that’s just like a totally normal date. Go to a bar or a club, maybe see a movie, then gently caress. It happens literally all the time every day.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"I miss the days when you could go to a bar, talk to a girl, ask her to meet you for another date, go on that date, have a nice meal, talk until the late hours, and then go to her apartment for more talk, and eventually gently caress"

"Why doesn't this happen???? (To me, the incel alt right guy)"

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Dating is horrible, though. It's almost as soul-crushing as job hunting.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m fascinated by the rigid belief system incels adhere to, and relieved I don’t thave to pay attention to any of it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

runupon cracker posted:

Dating is horrible, though. It's almost as soul-crushing as job hunting.

:emptyquote:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Just do what I do and be charming and handsome and smell good

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ElGroucho posted:

Or make good money and have a big dick

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Diddler posted:

Pretty sure poems are supposed to rhyme, my dude

When's the last time you read poetry, fourth grade? No, it's not supposed to rhyme although some poetry does

I gotta admit I laughed pretty drat hard at "the purring Jew". Like that's some amazing unintentional absurdist comedy right there

RFC2324 posted:

Or make good money and have a big dick

or make bad money and have a big dick. worked for me

Play fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2019

The Bible
May 8, 2010

jizzy sillage posted:

You've never gotten laid. You've never experienced this. You can't miss it because you've never had it.

I like how girls who have had sex are untouchable whores, unless they are having sex with him, which is wholesome and good.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

what if I’m none of these

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Bible posted:

I like how girls who have had sex are untouchable whores, unless they are having sex with him, which is wholesome and good.

Blood from the hymen is the only real sexual lubricant.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You pretty much can't miss if you have realistic expectations and no extreme rightwing views.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

alpaca diseases posted:

what if I’m none of these

Then a smelly, ugly, and rude lady will probably still want to smash you eventually.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mfcrocker posted:

I actually left the forums for the most part around 2015. Non-binary was still being mocked relentlessly, asking with SJWs etc. Especially in the PYF Tumblr and AUG threads. I was surprised by how much it changed whenever I came back after the election.

As far as Reddit goes, someone decided that the best use of their time on Christmas was telling me to kill myself. It wouldn't have bothered me at all if I didn't have to leave the annual Christmas movie meetup because a (former) friend decided to be disgustingly transphobic right in front of me, about another friend. I still honestly mostly felt sad for the person why messaged me though. How lovely is your life that you're messaging trans people on Reddit, telling them they're disgusting and should kill themselves, on loving Christmas?

Araenna fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 17, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Araenna posted:

I actually left the forums for the most part around 2015. Non-binary was still being mocked relentlessly, asking with SJWs etc. Especially in the PYF Tumblr and AUG threads. I was surprised by how much it changed whenever I came back after the election.

As far as Reddit goes, someone decided that the best use of their time on Christmas was telling me to kill myself. It wouldn't have bothered me at all if I didn't have to leave the annual Christmas movie meetup because a (former) friend decided to be disgustingly transphobic right in front of me, about another friend. I still honestly mostly felt sad for the person why messaged me though. How lovely is your life that you're messaging trans people on Reddit, telling them they're disgusting and should kill themselves, on loving Christmas?

I know we aren't supposed to have any positive feelings or optimism, but I think the general improvement in the SA community over the last decade has been really nice. Angry edgy southpark libertarians turned into mostly thoughtful "SJW" lefties with well enforced rules against racism, sexism, homophobia, and so on.

I much rather have the forums way smaller than they were in their heyday than full of loving "gender critical" "race realists".

Hell, we've even gotten over our mockery of furries, and Juggalos, once mocked for their lack of education on magnetic fields, are now allies in the fight against fascism. What a world.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Let’s be clear that just because we’ve allied ourselves with Furries and Rap Clowns doesn’t mean we aren’t still making fun of them, in much the same way I’m sure Furries make fun of us for “not getting laid as often as we do” or Hatchet Fam teases us for “not being hard” enough.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Furrys and juggalos are extremely mock worthy still. Just cause they also dont like fascists dosen't make them alright

Like oh hey you ALSO dont like stepping in dog poo poo? Well that makes us allies now lol

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

Furrys and juggalos are extremely mock worthy still. Just cause they also dont like fascists dosen't make them alright

Like oh hey you ALSO dont like stepping in dog poo poo? Well that makes us allies now lol

In a world where a large percentage of people absolutely thrive off stepping in poop and screaming 'triggered' at you then you take what friends you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I know we aren't supposed to have any positive feelings or optimism, but I think the general improvement in the SA community over the last decade has been really nice. Angry edgy southpark libertarians turned into mostly thoughtful "SJW" lefties with well enforced rules against racism, sexism, homophobia, and so on.

I much rather have the forums way smaller than they were in their heyday than full of loving "gender critical" "race realists".

Hell, we've even gotten over our mockery of furries, and Juggalos, once mocked for their lack of education on magnetic fields, are now allies in the fight against fascism. What a world.

I don't think you have these relationships quite right.