Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I love this show for all the reasons I've mentioned before, but I'm finding myself watching an episode, loving it while I'm watching, and then unable to remember much about it. Anyone else? Maybe the god whose name nobody could remember is involved in the production or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
That's because nothing is really happening like many others have said in this thread. There are some great character moments, some cool visual bits but the biggest thing to happen in the last 3 or 4 episodes is getting runes on a broken spear. The season is about to be over too lol.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tokubetsu posted:

It's not that I think every goddess is some aspect or form of media I just figured since we're seeing the start of technical boy, and hints of mr. world and columbia was willing to adapt maybe she was the origin for media too. I love Lucy started up in the early 50s right? I was just assuming a connection there. Not a big deal.

Will say if she went from Columbia > Media to New Media it does make New Media seem even worse. Wtf was that thing she did at the start of the ep? She did a dance and things popped up in 3d was she harnessing spy tech?

Her followers were generating worship by clicking the emoji buttons on her Facebook live video

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I have to say that the mere fact that Odin is in this show immediately made me question where Thor and Loki are, and they've seemed notable by their absence to me.

don't know if this qualifies as a spoiler, but spoilering just in case: the credits for the first episode identify Shadow's cellmate guy (the one who tells him not to piss off those bitches in airports) as Low-Key Lyesmith, so we know where one of them is

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Jerusalem posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I have to say that the mere fact that Odin is in this show immediately made me question where Thor and Loki are, and they've seemed notable by their absence to me.

Did you miss Low-key Lyesmith in episode 1?

Edit: Donar in the latest episode.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The soundtrack for season2 also spoils an appearance of a god or two.
(why did they release that halfway during the show anyway?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd either forgotten or never noticed Low-Key in the first episode, yep.

Guilty posted:

Edit: Donar in the latest episode.

That's who I was referring to (it is another name for Thor), in response to MiddleOne's post saying they didn't think anybody would have had any interest in such a large chunk of the episode being devoted to a character who hadn't been in the show up to that point.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My favourite part of the last ep was the guy that sold the Lou Reed jacket is an actor on Letterkenny.

Pretty damning when that's the high point of a TV show..

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
The side-on view in the alleyway with Odin and Thor made me think of a 2D fighting game like Injustice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
20 years later and I'm still shaking my drat head that Gaiman thought "Low-Key Lyesmith" was clever

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

precision posted:

20 years later and I'm still shaking my drat head that Gaiman thought "Low-Key Lyesmith" was clever

The sad thing is that I caught the Lyesmith, but it wasn't until a discussion when I heard the nickname said out loud that I realized the Low Key = loki connection.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Back when this book came out nordic mythology wasn't so popular so I bet a lot of people (myself included) missed most of the references.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno, in my experience, the sorts of people who read Gaiman 20+ years ago are definitely the sort who have heard of the extremely obscure gods Odin and Loki

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

Yeah he liked doing that with other characters in the Sandman

God the version of Thor in that book was pretty hosed and :stonk:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Lyle Smith might have been less obvious and funnier, imo.

What was wrong with the Sandman's Thor? He had like two seconds of screentime, unless I'm misremembering. Season of Mists had a lot of gods showing up, but Thor wasn't particularly important.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kobain Thor was odd

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Malpais Legate posted:

Lyle Smith might have been less obvious and funnier, imo.

What was wrong with the Sandman's Thor? He had like two seconds of screentime, unless I'm misremembering. Season of Mists had a lot of gods showing up, but Thor wasn't particularly important.

Avengers fans who didn't know the mythology were angry that Gaiman was depicting Thor as a drunken dumbass instead of a noble hero.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mads sweeney was cast as John Halo

yer a loving arsehole dead hologram waifu

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 17, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

rapeface posted:

Avengers fans who didn't know the mythology were angry that Gaiman was depicting Thor as a drunken dumbass instead of a noble hero.
He also looked very wonky, but yeah Thor in Norse Mythology is kind of just a brutal giant killing machine.

The story Loki tells Puck is pretty great too

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oasx posted:

Speaking of Neverwhere the BBC mini series is really good, and absolutely the best version of the story. It was cheaply made but had some great acting.

Funnily enough, the miniseries is the original version - the novelization came out afterwards. That said you're right, it is absolutely mid-90s BBC in terms of quality. Assuming they still own the rights, I really wish they would remake that one with a bigger budget (maybe loop in Netflix, since they're throwing money at anyone with a camera these days).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Goddamn that episode was bad.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Good thing we spent like 4 episodes getting that spear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked it. Kali is pretty cool.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was confused by the flashback. Mad Sweeney started off as a celtic king/god who fought armies from other gods, and he killed one of the other gods who turned out to be Wednesday. Then a christian army came and defeated him, and turned him into a leprechaun?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Episode was bad. The show continues to build towards nothing.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Oasx posted:

I was confused by the flashback. Mad Sweeney started off as a celtic king/god who fought armies from other gods, and he killed one of the other gods who turned out to be Wednesday. Then a christian army came and defeated him, and turned him into a leprechaun?

Yes? At least thats what I got from it. The christian gods/army were too strong and he was going to die in that battle so he ran...and it drove him mad. I'm not sure how he became semi-coherent again but I guess he changed when he became a fairy tale instead of a god king

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Sweeney :(

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
I liked that episode. It was good. Sucks about Sweeney though.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I just don't get the complaining about this show in this thread. How many of you, before this episode, knew any version of the Buile Shuibhne? There is so much mythology and social commentary on this show but apparently there's not enough explosions or some poo poo?

I just don't understand y'all sometimes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

I just don't get the complaining about this show in this thread. How many of you, before this episode, knew any version of the Buile Shuibhne? There is so much mythology and social commentary on this show but apparently there's not enough explosions or some poo poo?

Yeah. And people keep saying they love Mad Sweeney, but then hate an episode where we get to see his awesome and tragic backstory?

:confused:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

precision posted:

Yeah. And people keep saying they love Mad Sweeney, but then hate an episode where we get to see his awesome and tragic backstory?

:confused:

"No you see I like it when the big leprechaun says swear words and drinks and fights like Irish people do"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The difference for me at least is that the first season managed to combine the folklore and character stuff with things happening in the overall story. This season has one episode left and all that's happened so far is three minor characters dying. Other than that they drove around a bunch and hung out at the funeral home. They spent half the season on Odin's spear and made it out to be a big deal and *poof* it's gone now.

I'm all for a slow burn but you can't just go an entire season without moving your story forward at all.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

mycomancy posted:

I just don't get the complaining about this show in this thread. How many of you, before this episode, knew any version of the Buile Shuibhne?

That's one of the reasons I like this show so much.

This was a good episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's best to think of the show as a tone poem, not a narrative. And in that way, this season has been fantastic. I'd even say I prefer this season to the first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If I completely ignore the rest of the season, this was a great episode. In any other show where it was fast paced and this was the slow down episode where we get this major character finally remembering his tragic story, it would be great. But every episode has been the slow down for backstory episode. I still have no idea what this show is building towards. I really hope this last episode coming up is the war or whatever. If it isn't they wasted a whole season on basically nothing. I don't see how Wednesday is any closer to anything. We still have the same group of people we had at the beginning. I don't get how he's prepared for war, because he just lost his drat spear and he didn't even seem fazed by it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
1) that spear isn't gone. It's in the Sun's Treasure, the Horde, the Pot O'Gold At The End of the Rain's Bow. All you gotta do is kick the poo poo outta Sweeney and he'll cough it up.

2) So far the only way that gods can die, that we know of, is by suicide or by starvation. Seeing how I double he's starving (St. Patrick's Day in Chicago or Boston?) and Shadow clearly killed him, I'm guessing the Mad King will be back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Oasx posted:

He used to be the Irish god, Lugh Longarm, until the adoption of Christianity fractured his belief into many different folk versions like a king, fairy, hill spirit, leprechaun, etc which turned him into Mad Sweeney.

mycomancy posted:

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
guys, do you even know this bad thing was based on a good thing?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

rapeface posted:

Don't you have a Fast and Furious movie or Star Trek: Discovery episode to get action horny about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rapeface posted:

I mean are you really saying that the Mad Sweeney flashbacks, specifically, were bad and not really cool?