Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

mycomancy posted:

gently caress off.

:qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Incredible retort, I am well and truly "owned."

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
What if there is in fact too many people but the people are actually Westerners whose lives are unsustainable and are murdering the planet and everything on it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

No really, gently caress off fash.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

No really, gently caress off fash.

I don't know what libertarian think tank you guys are coming from, but consider that it is you who should gently caress off?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Please continue to tell us how there are no ethical limits to human consumption.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The human population is too low. Truly the hottest of takes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Spazzle posted:

I don't know what libertarian think tank you guys are coming from, but consider that it is you who should gently caress off?

That's not what those posts say, or the position you are supporting.

The position you are supporting is "the problem is that there are too many people, so it's good when poor people conveniently die, and also their fault because their excessive numbers were the cause of the problems that killed them in the first place and not western capitalism."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

We CAN support every single person on this Earth. We can give them housing, food, water, shelter. We've been able to do this since we figured out industrial production.

We WON'T support every single person on this Earth under capitalism. Under a system where Americans expect to eat nothing but meat meals all day erryday and thus require massive land and water resources. Under a system that devalues adoption as a legitimate form of having children. Under a system where working yourself to death is normal and so people need more and more useless bullshit to fill the hole where community, hobbies and play could be.

The problem isn't you or your lovely kids, it's the systems under which you live and die. And the only way to fight those is organizing, which is hardly helped by constant fighting. We have not only this beautiful blue ball, but also an entire universe waiting for us to explore and grow within. And if the world keeps on keeping on, we'll lose both to some rich rear end in a top hat's desire to snort coke off of a giant golden dick.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

T-man posted:

The problem isn't you or your lovely kids

why do you think their kids are lovely?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Subjunctive posted:

Apple doesnt fall far from the tree

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

T-man posted:

We WON'T support every single person on this Earth under capitalism. Under a system where Americans expect to eat nothing but meat meals all day erryday and thus require massive land and water resources. Under a system that devalues adoption as a legitimate form of having children. Under a system where working yourself to death is normal and so people need more and more useless bullshit to fill the hole where community, hobbies and play could be.

excuse me, but dr. peterson has informed me that following his all-beef diet will defeat the dragon of chaos and usher in the state of gold

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hmm. lot of people complaining about lovely parents around here. I guess I never thought through the implications fully!

feel bad for my kid, though

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Subjunctive posted:

hmm. lot of people complaining about lovely parents around here. I guess I never thought through the implications fully!

feel bad for my kid, though

you can still put em up for adoption ya know

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

T-man posted:

We CAN support every single person on this Earth. We can give them housing, food, water, shelter. We've been able to do this since we figured out industrial production.

The problem isn't you or your lovely kids, it's the systems under which you live and die. And the only way to fight those is organizing, which is hardly helped by constant fighting. We have not only this beautiful blue ball, but also an entire universe waiting for us to explore and grow within. And if the world keeps on keeping on, we'll lose both to some rich rear end in a top hat's desire to snort coke off of a giant golden dick.

Carter couldn't even get people to turn their thermostats down and wear a sweater.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Subjunctive posted:

lovely parents make lovely kids, most working class parents have to be lovely due to their own lovely parents and the pressures of capitalist production, repeat for a few generations and bing bang boom goons. When having kids becomes an investment vehicle everything gets worse.

Hodgepodge posted:

excuse me, but dr. peterson has informed me that following his all-beef diet will defeat the dragon of chaos and usher in the state of gold

From what I know of Peterson, trans women would be traitors to order and supporters of the chaos vegan dragon so I guess I have to throw soy at you now

AvesPKS posted:

Carter couldn't even get people to turn their thermostats down and wear a sweater.

Again, it's not the individual actions of people who are the problem. The problem is the social relations in society. Carter failed because he didn't address the root problem. learn2read comrade

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok look how about we do the whole population reduction thing but compromise and limit it to just exterminating white people

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok look how about we do the whole population reduction thing but compromise and limit it to just exterminating white people

harsh but fair

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flowers For Algeria posted:

you can still put em up for adoption ya know

no way, she actually helps around the house now. I deserve at least a few years of that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why everyone jumped to the conclusion that it would be muslim third worlders we'd be sterilizing, obviously you start at the population with the largest impact per capita so white first worlders

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I was going to say I was surprised Thanos was a goon, but on reflection, not really.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
introducing RELAY from NEXT! the revolutionary next "UBER but for..." app
UBER! but for Freight! (not to be confused with UberFreight)

They've raised over 100 million in VC funding despite uberfreight being basically DOA

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

They've raised over 100 million in VC funding despite uberfreight being basically DOA

Wasn't this tried already by a company that claimed it would use the unused space in regularly scheduled freight carrier trips that would otherwise just be wasted, and then oops it turns out the industry is actually really really good at optimizing that poo poo because they've been doing this for centuries, who knew?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
[

Coolness Averted posted:

but will they lease me a brand new freight train so i can make my deliveries?? i cant have my freight travelling in a decade old train car, or a 70 year old train car, or

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I was going to say I was surprised Thanos was a goon, but on reflection, not really.

If all this started because of me I don't even know what the gently caress y'all are talking about. It's hard to talk with all these words put in my mouth but the "voluntary human extinction movement" is a voluntary (it's in the name) pledge not to have kids, and I wasn't even advocating for that.

Quiverful Christians like the Duggers are the religious weirdos I was referring to.

But apparently mentioning that along with the extremely uncontroversial statement that there are a) too many loving people and b) the other living things on Earth would be better off without them makes me a *checks notes* total fash who wants to exterminate poor brown people.

More like there are goons who think it's funny to deliberately misinterpret someone's post to the most extreme and bad faith position they can get it to and then mock them when they defend themselves like the person who's quoting this right now to say "nice meltdown".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Death is a female, the printer prints out death certificates. Thanos confirmed a goon.

Serf
May 5, 2011

there's not too many people on the earth, there's just a small minority in power who are making GBS threads the place up

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imagined posted:

If all this started because of me I don't even know what the gently caress y'all are talking about. It's hard to talk with all these words put in my mouth but the "voluntary human extinction movement" is a voluntary (it's in the name) pledge not to have kids, and I wasn't even advocating for that.

Quiverful Christians like the Duggers are the religious weirdos I was referring to.

But apparently mentioning that along with the extremely uncontroversial statement that there are a) too many loving people and b) the other living things on Earth would be better off without them makes me a *checks notes* total fash who wants to exterminate poor brown people.

More like there are goons who think it's funny to deliberately misinterpret someone's post to the most extreme and bad faith position they can get it to and then mock them when they defend themselves like the person who's quoting this right now to say "nice meltdown".

i wont have kids too man, but its because im v shy and have no game, i dont try to gussy it up

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Imagined posted:

the extremely uncontroversial statement that there are a) too many loving people

lol what

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Imagined posted:

Your "voluntary" childlessness is as helpful as liking a Facebook post. Doing NOTHING is useless. Instead of reproducing responsibly and raising children to propagate a progressive culture of stewardship and change, you choose to do nothing. This is why that "movement" is bullshit.

quote:

You're getting mocked because your two presuppositions, that there's too many people and that the universe would be better off without us, is both incorrect and also arrogant in it's own twisted way. No bad faith arguments are needed, your reasoning for nothing is flawed, and if it wasn't you're still not helping anything by doing nothing.

So, anyway, would you like to try a Baconator today?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There are too many people to live the way we do, at least with our tech. However, there is no good way to reduce our numbers and most of us are idiots who can't change or will actively resist it. I think it's obvious we're just gonna end up killing each other, if nothing else via the indirect "we have the things needed to live and you aren't allowed inside" method.

Honestly seems pointless to bother trying to avoid it. You know it's gonna happen.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Want to wear this around town and see how mad I can make people.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Some growth has bad causes like:
  • Lack of female autonomy (e.g. no option in life but marry young, crank babies)
  • Lack of healthcare (e.g. parents expect half their kids to die)

Some growth has neutral causes like:
  • Reliance on subsistence agriculture (e.g. every kid's a profit-center, have 15)

So you can curb growth with:
  • Feminism
  • Healthcare
  • Modern Economies

No moral turpitude required.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Accretionist posted:

Some growth has bad causes like:
  • Lack of female autonomy (e.g. no option in life but marry young, crank babies)
  • Lack of healthcare (e.g. parents expect half their kids to die)

Some growth has neutral causes like:
  • Reliance on subsistence agriculture (e.g. every kid's a profit-center, have 15)

So you can curb growth with:
  • Feminism
  • Healthcare
  • Modern Economies

No moral turpitude required.

"But then how can I slake my thirst for brown death guilt-free?"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do they think it's a mistake?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mycomancy posted:

Your "voluntary" childlessness is as helpful as liking a Facebook post. Doing NOTHING is useless. Instead of reproducing responsibly and raising children to propagate a progressive culture of stewardship and change, you choose to do nothing. This is why that "movement" is bullshit.

What if you adopt a bunch of kids and train them to be antifa supersoldiers

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

she just knows u gotta spin 2 win

DEMACIAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

hovering my fingers over a post that is only "lol", laughing at my own cleverness