Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'd also resort to comparing the v_TaskExecutionStatus records for a good device vs. a bad device. I often found that to be more helpful than pouring over line after line of SMSTS.log

Compare everything: steps executed, exit codes, outputs, and time to complete. You should see some difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Updates cause weird problems are weird:

We did actually compare logs from a failed and successful device. They are identical. We blasted a Surface with the image over and over until we got it to fail and are now reading through Event Logs. Nothing useful here either.

The rate of occurrence of this problem is incredibly low, probably 1-2%. Makes forcing it to happen tricky. We have managed to observe it in geographically diverse locations, but due to the way our DMVPN is setup this doesn't entirely rule out a network gremlin, it just makes it seem less likely.

I'm well and truly stumped on this one.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

It's going to be DNS.

Non joke answer, log a Microsoft ticket or get a PFE on that, they'll love that one.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

This was my first thought when they said new server, but considering some devices work and others don't it's odd, but it wouldn't be the first time one vendor goes with spec and one against...
Yup, it was a cert issue on the new server! Why Cisco didn't care though is still a mystery...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Yup, it was a cert issue on the new server! Why Cisco didn't care though is still a mystery...

Huzzah! One thread issue down.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

More Azure chat: A while back, I could swear there was some talk about a MS service/product that was hybrid cloud/on-premise for file sharing that would point your clients to get files from your local servers when the client was actually on-premise, and direct them to the Azure-based share for when they were off the LAN. The distinction between the two was invisible to the end user, basically they would just double-click their shortcut or whatever to their mapped drive, and the rest would be handled behind the scenes. Does this even exist or was it just some weird drug-induced dream I had?
I'm seeing Azure File Shares and Azure File Sync, and they're both kinda sorta similar to what I'm remembering but neither one is quite exactly it. Am I imagining this?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
That sounds like something OneDrive might do.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mr. Clark2 posted:

More Azure chat: A while back, I could swear there was some talk about a MS service/product that was hybrid cloud/on-premise for file sharing that would point your clients to get files from your local servers when the client was actually on-premise, and direct them to the Azure-based share for when they were off the LAN. The distinction between the two was invisible to the end user, basically they would just double-click their shortcut or whatever to their mapped drive, and the rest would be handled behind the scenes. Does this even exist or was it just some weird drug-induced dream I had?
I'm seeing Azure File Shares and Azure File Sync, and they're both kinda sorta similar to what I'm remembering but neither one is quite exactly it. Am I imagining this?

StorSimple.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm pretty sure it is Azure File Sync you're thinking of.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think any of those have the desktop client element. I'm not aware of anything that does what you want.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Could you be talking about Work Folders?

On-demand access: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2018/01/08/work-folders-on-demand-file-access-feature-for-windows-10/
Remote access: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2017/05/31/enable-remote-access-to-work-folders-using-azure-active-directory-application-proxy/

e: I have been failing to find a blog post that I only vaguely remember. The author used work folders on the client, with the data being in azure storage for remote users and local for on-prem users.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2019

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not aware of anything that does what you want.

Well somebody should make something that does, they'll sell a million of 'em I tell ya!
Thanks y'all, I'll take a look at these links.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only thing I know of that comes anywhere close is Egnyte, and they're only just now getting around to delivering on the bit where the client connects locally when in the office, and to the cloud when they aren't without requiring the end user to do anything differently. Egnyte is a pile of flaming garbage though.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

The Fool posted:

Could you be talking about Work Folders?

On-demand access: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2018/01/08/work-folders-on-demand-file-access-feature-for-windows-10/
Remote access: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2017/05/31/enable-remote-access-to-work-folders-using-azure-active-directory-application-proxy/

e: I have been failing to find a blog post that I only vaguely remember. The author used work folders on the client, with the data being in azure storage for remote users and local for on-prem users.

Please post that if you find it. Sounds kind of awesome, I've been toying with the idea myself idly.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Recently 'onboarded' a new client and found that a couple of the workstations have their primary user's domain accounts under the local admins groups. Is there a way to audit this for systems domain wide? Can this be done through GPO or scripted through MSP management software like Ncentral/n-able? Just hoping not to do this manually one-by-one. Hopefully my question here makes sense.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Otis Reddit posted:

Recently 'onboarded' a new client and found that a couple of the workstations have their primary user's domain accounts under the local admins groups. Is there a way to audit this for systems domain wide? Can this be done through GPO or scripted through MSP management software like Ncentral/n-able? Just hoping not to do this manually one-by-one. Hopefully my question here makes sense.

Powershell will be your friend here. Should be able to use WMI to grab the local admin group and then match any domain accounts against that list.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You might be able to just replace the membership of the local admins group with GPO, if you don't care about having any machines non-standard.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This is also a thing that PDQ Inventory can do very easily.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our domain users group is in the local admins group via GPO. Good times ya'll.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least it's not in the Enterprise Admins group

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanks Ants posted:

:stonklol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

See, I'm an optimist!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

:stare:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Powershell will be your friend here. Should be able to use WMI to grab the local admin group and then match any domain accounts against that list.

Thanks. Would you know a PS command?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Otis Reddit posted:

I would probably try something like

code:
$var = get-wmiobject win32_groupuser -computer $computername
$var = $var | where-object {$_.groupcomponent -like '*"Administrators"'}
to get the Administrators group and then match a domain user/group with something like

code:
$var.partcomponent -match ".+Domain\=(.+)\,Name\=(.+)$"
There is a good chance I hosed something up there and it wont work as intended, but that's the idea that jumped into my head.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Otis Reddit posted:

I had a similar request a while ago where I needed to find local admins of specific servers and audit them. My script wouldn't be much use to you as I wrote it for my environment and for my reporting needs, but I based it mostly off this

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Query-members-of-Local-d0f393a6

This might not be exactly what you need, but I needed to audit the local administrators of a group of servers, and this got the job done. I also don't consider myself even good at powershell, so if there's better easier ways to do this, great. This worked for me though. It's tailored to an AD environment as well, so maybe some snippets of it could be useful if not in a domain environment.

code:
<#
Script based on work of Mahdi Tehrani, modified for my needs and environment

[url]https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Query-members-of-Local-d0f393a6[/url]

#>

Import-module ActiveDirectory
$Path = "#<AD Path>"
$computers = #put some sort of computer collection here, or a get-adcomputer query 
$LocalGroupName = "Administrators"
$Date       = Get-Date -Format MM_dd_yyyy_HH_mm_ss

$Counter = 0
$CountPC = @($computers).count

$OutputDir = "#<path to output dir>"
$OutputFile = Join-Path $OutputDir "LocalGroupMembers$Date.csv"
Write-Verbose "Script will write the output to $OutputFile folder"
Add-Content -Path $OutPutFile -Value "ComputerName, LocalGroupName, Status, MemberType, MemberDomain, MemberName"

foreach ($computer in $computers) 
    {
        $Counter ++
        $computerName = $computer.name
		If(!(Test-Connection -ComputerName $computerName -Count 1 -Quiet)) {
			Add-Content -Path $OutputFile -Value "$computerName,$LocalGroupName,Offline"
		Continue
		} 
		else {
			try {
				$group = [ADSI]"WinNT://$computerName/$LocalGroupName"
				$members = @($group.Invoke("Members"))
				if(!$members) {
					Add-Content -Path $OutputFile -Value "$Computer,$LocalGroupName,NoMembersFound"
					Continue
				}
			}
			catch {
				Add-Content -Path $OutputFile -Value "$computerName,,FailedToQuery"
				Continue
			}

Write-Progress -Activity "Connecting PC $Counter/$CountPC " -Status "Querying ($computer)" -PercentComplete (($Counter/$CountPC) * 100)

foreach($member in $members) {
				try {
					$MemberName = $member.GetType().Invokemember("Name","GetProperty",$null,$member,$null)
					$MemberType = $member.GetType().Invokemember("Class","GetProperty",$null,$member,$null)
					$MemberPath = $member.GetType().Invokemember("ADSPath","GetProperty",$null,$member,$null)
					$MemberDomain = $null
					If($MemberPath -match "^Winnt\:\/\/(?<domainName>\S+)\/(?<CompName>\S+)\/") {
						if($MemberType -eq "User") {
							$MemberType = "LocalUser"
						} elseif($MemberType -eq "Group"){
							$MemberType = "LocalGroup"
						}
						$MemberDomain = $matches["CompName"]
					} elseif($MemberPath -match "^WinNT\:\/\/(?<domainname>\S+)/") {
						if($MemberType -eq "User") {
							$MemberType = "DomainUser"
						} elseif($MemberType -eq "Group"){
							$MemberType = "DomainGroup"
						}
						$MemberDomain = $matches["domainname"]
					} else {
						$MemberType = "Unknown"
						$MemberDomain = "Unknown"
					}
					If ($MemberName -like "*" ) {#optional notlike  #-notlike "Domain Admins" -and $MemberName -notlike "Enterprise Admins" )	{
					Add-Content -Path $OutPutFile -Value "$computerName, $LocalGroupName, SUCCESS, $MemberType, $MemberDomain, $MemberName"
					}
				} catch {
				Add-Content -Path $OutputFile -Value "$Computer,,FailedQueryMember"
				}
    		}
		}
		}

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 16, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Right, I'm giving up and turning to this thread. My Google skills are weak or I just get a load of crap relating to personal Microsoft accounts which isn't relevant.

Steps to reproduce are:
  • Have a Windows 10 Pro PC, Azure AD joined. The Azure AD is synced from an on-premises domain. The user account (mine) doesn't exist in the on-premises domain, it's cloud only - though this doesn't seem to make a difference
  • Unlock/log on to the PC when connected to the corporate network - this is reproducible when connected over a VPN and locking the machine when the DNS suffix and domain controllers are pushed to the client by the VPN software

The result is this message that is suppressed if you follow the instructions but the next time you use a PIN it comes back:

If I lock the PC without being on the VPN, no error when I unlock again. If I change the VPN client to not push our domain suffix to the client then I don't get the error when I unlock. I assume the client is trying to authenticate something against the domain but I have no idea what, and no idea how to stop it. This also happens with users that are in the on-premises domain but I assume without a Hybrid join in place then they can't just do whatever with Kerberos because they've not authenticated against AD, just against Azure.

Is this an attempt to update a DNS zone maybe? The issue only started a few months ago and across several people at roughly the same time, so I'm guessing something has changed in an update.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 16, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Right, I'm giving up and turning to this thread. My Google skills are weak or I just get a load of crap relating to personal Microsoft accounts which isn't relevant.

Steps to reproduce are:
  • Have a Windows 10 Pro PC, Azure AD joined. The Azure AD is synced from an on-premises domain. The user account (mine) doesn't exist in the on-premises domain, it's cloud only - though this doesn't seem to make a difference
  • Unlock/log on to the PC when connected to the corporate network - this is reproducible when connected over a VPN and locking the machine when the DNS suffix and domain controllers are pushed to the client by the VPN software

The result is this message that doesn't go away if you follow the instructions:

If I lock the PC without being on the VPN, no error when I unlock again. If I change the VPN client to not push our domain suffix to the client then I don't get the error when I unlock. I assume the client is trying to authenticate something against the domain but I have no idea what, and no idea how to stop it. This also happens with users that are in the on-premises domain but I assume without a Hybrid join in place then they can't just do whatever with Kerberos because they've not authenticated against AD, just against Azure.

Is this an attempt to update a DNS zone maybe? The issue only started a few months ago and across several people at roughly the same time, so I'm guessing something has changed in an update.

Is DHCP doing dynamic DNS updates, and DNS is set to only allow secure updates?

I feel like it's a reach, but you've already addressed the other possibilities I thought of.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This looks like a promising place to look:

https://blog.nimtech.cloud/windows-hello-on-azure-ad-domain-joined-devices-access-to-local-files/

Edit: And here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-how-it-works-authentication. It looks like the Azure AD join authentication to AD workflow uses DNS to find the domain controllers to auth, which it can't do in a non-hybrid setup or where Hello for Business might be configured without the key trust that it requires.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 16, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I came to post that dynamic DNS sounded possible, but this also looks like a good avenue to check.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On a slightly related note, this AD is a heap of trash and I should be fine to drop ACLs referencing dead objects ("Account Unknown(S-1...)" without it blowing up, right?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

On a slightly related note, this AD is a heap of trash and I should be fine to drop ACLs referencing dead objects ("Account Unknown(S-1...)" without it blowing up, right?

:suspense:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think an Exchange install was (badly) ripped out of it and it's left some stuff behind. The other option is to just leave them there because it's not causing any harm.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thanks Ants posted:

I think an Exchange install was (badly) ripped out of it and it's left some stuff behind. The other option is to just leave them there because it's not causing any harm.

That sort of cruft would drive my former AD admin insane.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That sort of cruft would drive my former AD admin insane.

Ask me about inheriting a domain this year in which I have already deleted over 3500 accounts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our AD has a bunch of cruft from the Novell days.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I'm just glad the cruft I uncovered with BES_ prefixes turned out to be related to our BigFix Enterprise setup and not Blackberry Enterprise Server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I came to post that dynamic DNS sounded possible, but this also looks like a good avenue to check.

Yeah, I added the actual MS doc that explains why it's doing what it is after you quoted me. Weighing up whether to just do a Hybrid join vs. building a CA, I've heard people talking about how Hybrid domain join is going away though so that might tip my hand.

Edit: Once you know what you're looking for, everything falls into place https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/hello-for-business/hello-hybrid-aadj-sso-base

And yes I am using this thread as a public version of my OneNote for when I eventually implement this.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 17, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Digital_Jesus posted:

Ask me about inheriting a domain this year in which I have already deleted over 3500 accounts.

85,000 machine and user accounts haven't been used since 2010

and a secops policymaker expects those names to hang around indefinitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it seriously looks like one of my client domains was used as an inefficient but highly available rainbow table