Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah mostly same, I'm expecting it to end with Holden sacrificing himself to permanently shut down the ring system and humanity having to fend for itself, presumably there'll be an arc about trying to frantically make last minute arrangements to get as many of the 1300+ systems self-sufficient as we can before the gates go down, probably tearful separations as various characters are trapped apart from each other, ends on a bittersweet but ultimately hopeful note, maybe with the construction of a starship in Sol for the poetic symmetry with the Nauvoo? That's probably too speculative, but I definitely feel like this is gonna end with dead/MIA Holden and a non-functional gate system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that feels a little too neat, like resetting things back to how they were in the first book. Whatever the ending is, it will leave the status quo altered in some important way so that Sol doesn't snap right back to Earth-Mars-Belt tension.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah mostly same, I'm expecting it to end with Holden sacrificing himself to permanently shut down the ring system and humanity having to fend for itself, presumably there'll be an arc about trying to frantically make last minute arrangements to get as many of the 1300+ systems self-sufficient as we can before the gates go down, probably tearful separations as various characters are trapped apart from each other, ends on a bittersweet but ultimately hopeful note, maybe with the construction of a starship in Sol for the poetic symmetry with the Nauvoo? That's probably too speculative, but I definitely feel like this is gonna end with dead/MIA Holden and a non-functional gate system.

This seems the most natural way to go, which might mean they'll do something else! The Nauvoo symmetry is particularly good here, though, for many reasons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The spin off legal non-thriller we'll never get is the wheels falling off the case against Tycho when the Mormons realize that they just dodged a bullet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What if Miller's Ticks On A Dog line are more accurate than you think??

What if we exist on the rear end of a giant goth, and when we use Prototech it makes it itch and it reacts by scratching

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Phi230 posted:

What if Miller's Ticks On A Dog line are more accurate than you think??

What if we exist on the rear end of a giant goth, and when we use Prototech it makes it itch and it reacts by scratching

The Goth response really does seem like changing pest control chemicals when a new species of ants moves in.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Or all 1300 planets moved the goldilocks zone in sol system.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lord Hydronium posted:

I felt while reading the last book that they were coming across as way too powerful, but with this one we see they're really kind of a paper tiger. They have a few badass ships, but like a lot of other imperial powers, once they get past the shock and awe phase holding onto that territory becomes a whole different matter. All their apparent strengths have become weaknesses. Their entire basis for power projection is the Magnetars and Medina Station, and the moment they lose those the whole thing comes crashing down around them.

Not to mention going around poking in PM tech; they've so thoroughly swallowed their own bullshit about being masters of the universe that they can't even consider that it could backfire on them. It's like that line in Jurassic Park about being like a kid who found his dad's gun. These are guys who found some 2 billion year old tech made by beings of incomprehensible power and killed by even more incomprehensible beings (sidenote, that bit near the end about how they discovered Laconia with a half-completed ship still in the construction platforms is a really cool image), switched it back on, and decided that made them unstoppable badasses. They might be intelligent people, but they were never smart.

"But if we don't conquer the entire known universe to unite all humanity to face this unknown threat then someone else could do something stupid like dump antimatter into an extradimensional alien's backyard".

They really foreshadowed the obsession with game theory biting them in the rear end when lil' Monster Singh had a freakout over Theresa's science fair project.

Also the Laconians really did make a reckless authoritarian fuckup, rushing forward with the plan to set off the antimatter plan right after their survey found something that could be used to reassess their strategy. What's the hurry? There was time to keep consolidating, and then put effort into unlocking the memory diamond, and then perform the antimatter test.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Phobophilia posted:

Good points

I hope that the authors have the spine that GRRM didn't and the books end with most of humanity dying out as the remaining crew of the Rocinante either dies too or watches in horror. Because humans just can't stop defecting.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Sarern posted:

I hope that the authors have the spine that GRRM didn't and the books end

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's crazy that Leviathan Wakes came out only a month before A Dance With Dragons and the entire series will be done next year.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's crazy that Leviathan Wakes came out only a month before A Dance With Dragons and the entire series will be done next year.

It is! But on the other hand there are two authors who spent their time writing these books.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I literally cannot wait to see a toddler go loving ballistic on Teresa on the TV show

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Haha, yes. The big "gently caress you! I'm just going to flip the game table!" response should have been a big hint that the aliens might not respond completely logically to being antagonized.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah. Antagonizing them makes no sense even from a game theory perspective. You want to punish them and see if it alters their behavior, okay...but why don't you realize they've been punishing you for gate overuse for decades, and you've changed your behavior to cooperate? Wouldn't you then realize that responding to a punishment with an escalation is going to look like a declaration of war?

e: also it's unclear to me why they were so sure that antimatter would damage these aliens at all, given what we've seen of them and their existence

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They're probably not even acting illogically, humans putting too much stuff through the gates is us defecting, and ships going Dutchman is them defecting. Once we figured that out, everything was cool. We had a perfectly cordial relationship for 30 years once the boundaries were established, and then out of nowhere (from their perspective anyways) we suddenly super-defected for no apparent reason. Retaliating is the logical response.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, that. Better put.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

General Battuta posted:

e: also it's unclear to me why they were so sure that antimatter would damage these aliens at all, given what we've seen of them and their existence

Yeah same. Turns out, the megalomaniac fascist maybe isn't the smartest most rational being ever.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Like you'd know, idiot i'm defecting!!!

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah same. Turns out, the megalomaniac fascist maybe isn't the smartest most rational being ever.

This. A guy who thinks he needs to be God-Emperor is maybe not the most thoughtful person.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

Yeah. Antagonizing them makes no sense even from a game theory perspective. You want to punish them and see if it alters their behavior, okay...but why don't you realize they've been punishing you for gate overuse for decades, and you've changed your behavior to cooperate? Wouldn't you then realize that responding to a punishment with an escalation is going to look like a declaration of war?

Because realizing that would mean also realizing that not only is Laconia not on equal footing with this other force, the balance of power between the sides is so unequal that it's maybe not even possible TO punish them.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Also, Laconia projects power over the rest of the systems in large part with a weapon that, when used, pisses off the Goths.

Laconia wants to be able to use that weapon without repercussions, or it undercuts their authority over Sol et al.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 16, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sarern posted:

It is! But on the other hand there are two authors who spent their time writing these books.

But then again, Abraham also has a very active solo writing career. IIRC he turned out his entire Dragon & Coin series, which did not suck, while also keeping up the release pace for the Expanse.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Enigma posted:

Also, Laconia projects power over the rest of the systems in large part with a weapon that, when used, pisses off the Goths.

Laconia wants to be able to use that weapon without repercussions, or it undercuts their authority over Sol et al.

OR consolidate power, keep the threat of the superweapon on the back burner, use your political and economic leverage to keep tabs on other power players (Sol, the most successful colonies), and use your consolidation to build up conventional force projection.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

They'd already proven that the field projector worked. It's not like the Sol governments knew about the bullet. If they'd used their time in power to build a couple dozen conventionally armed Magnetar-Potempkin ships no one would have known the difference.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

On that note actually, are the Laconian ships designed by humans or are they printing them out from Gatebuilder designs stored in the shipyards? They take human missiles and PDC ammo and have hallways sized for humans, so presumably there's at least some choice in exactly what they can tell the printers to spit out, but do they have enough leeway to take the field projector out of the Magnetars and replace them with railgun batteries? Although even if they don't, a Magnetar was STILL enough to solo the entire combined fleets of Sol just off the missiles and railguns it came with, they didn't actually use the field projector until they vaporized Pallas after the fleets had already been owned, right?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I got the impression from the text that the Magnetar ships were already there along with the platforms and have been retrofitted for human things though I don't recall the specific passage. I think they could churn out those frigates though.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

There was an unfinished ship at the shipyard when the Laconians found it (no indication as to what happened to it), and the subsequent ships are a mixture of human and precursor designs. The Laconians spent 30-40 years dicking around with the shipyard and can apparently crank out a Magnetar every few years (or figured the shipyard out in a short span of time and can only crank out a Magnetar every decade).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So how old are the characters in Book 8? I think the 30-year time skip puts most of the Rocinante crew in their 60s but they act like they're positively ancient despite being the real world equivalent of what, late 30s?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I can't recall any exact ages being given but the fact that Holden for example managed to have a whole Navy career before the start of the books means they're not all 20, I'd say The Gang are all mostly in their roughly mid-30's at the start of Book 1 I think? So by the time we're at Book 6 and it's been a few more years they're all more like late 30's, maybe closing in on 40? Then add the timeskip to that and everyone's probably 70-something, which yeah they have anti-agathics but that's still pretty drat old. While the meds do keep you in good enough shape to still be flying a spaceship at 75 they're by no means an immortality potion that freezes you at 25 forever, and even if their bodies are only middle aged their minds and life experiences are still 70+ so it makes sense that they're gonna act like they're old.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Crazycryodude posted:

I can't recall any exact ages being given but the fact that Holden for example managed to have a whole Navy career before the start of the books means they're not all 20, I'd say The Gang are all mostly in their roughly mid-30's at the start of Book 1 I think?

Holden is 30 at the start of the series, having served seven years in the UNN and five on the Cant. I didn't find anything definite on Naomi in a quick search. Amos starts the series in his 40s, having left Baltimore in his teens and served on ships for 25 years. Alex is also somewhere in his 40s, having served 20 years in the MCRN plus however many years on the Cant.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
To me it definitely read more like someone in their late 30s finally realizing that they're not as in shape as they used to be and having to acknowledge that.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
And also being a little confused by millennial culture

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
rewatching the teevee show the last few days, just got to Amos's conversation with Cortozar on Tycho. Really looking forward to seeing ol' Paolo make a comeback next season or the one after, i think the guy they cast for the role will do a great job with cortozar's growing power and hubris as the story unfolds

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Finished Tiamat's Wrath earlier this week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea that the novella detailed those repair drones so when they are first mentioned so casually the first time Teresa visits Timothy in the book I just assumed they were tech the Laconian's developed to assist with maintenance for campus and Duarte's grounds. That made Amos' appearance at the end so much more fun for me, even though I suspected it was going that route with the offhanded comment Cortazar makes about not bringing him the body.

Can someone who has read the novella spoil the insight into these things? Are they remnants of whomever lived on Laconia before Duarte showed up?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

hatelull posted:

Finished Tiamat's Wrath earlier this week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea that the novella detailed those repair drones so when they are first mentioned so casually the first time Teresa visits Timothy in the book I just assumed they were tech the Laconian's developed to assist with maintenance for campus and Duarte's grounds. That made Amos' appearance at the end so much more fun for me, even though I suspected it was going that route with the offhanded comment Cortazar makes about not bringing him the body.

Can someone who has read the novella spoil the insight into these things? Are they remnants of whomever lived on Laconia before Duarte showed up?

Cara and Xan were children of a pair of Laconia's first colonists, non-military. The repair drones are Roman/PM Builder/whatever-you-care-to-call-them artifacts that were already trundling around when the first humans landed. Cara discovered their ability to repair things when she accidentally killed a Laconian duck-analog animal, then accidentally broke her mother's quad-copter drone (human-built) trying to take care of its ducklings. The Roman repair bots fixed the human-tech drone and the mama duck right in front of her. Xan died in a vehicle accident not long after, hit by a Laconian military truck, and Cara took his body to the bots to fix. When she brought him back home all grey and black-eyed their family rejected him, so Cara ran off with Xan into the alien woods. Cortozar told Elvi the rest.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hilariously the repair dog immortality appears to be more valuable than Duarte's version but because grey skin freaks people out more than florescent blue they're just ignoring a literal cure for death

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I finally caught up on books 7 and 8 over the past week. I hated the Inaros storyline and found Babylon's Ashes a complete slog, but the latest two are my easily favorites so far. The plotting and prose felt a lot tighter, especially in TW. Plus I'm one of those freaks that loved book 4, so I was happy to see Elvi again.

I don't know if the show will ever get this far, but I can only picture Giancarlo Esposito as Duarte

Edit: VVVVV I kept picturing Gael Garcia Bernal as Inaros, specifically his performance in 2008's Blindness.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 15, 2019

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lester Shy posted:

I finally caught up on books 7 and 8 over the past week. I hated the Inaros storyline and found Babylon's Ashes a complete slog, but the latest two are my easily favorites so far. The plotting and prose felt a lot tighter, especially in TW. Plus I'm one of those freaks that loved book 4, so I was happy to see Elvi again.

I don't know if the show will ever get this far, but I can only picture Giancarlo Esposito as Duarte.

Me too. And Michael Mando as Marco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't help but picture Duarte as Jeff Bezos