Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Executive, Finance, People, Marketing, Operations, Product, Information, Security, Creative, Technology, Brand, Investment, Compliance, Legal, drat only 14 I could think of.

We have a "Chief Treasury Officer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hughlander posted:

Executive, Finance, People, Marketing, Operations, Product, Information, Security, Creative, Technology, Brand, Investment, Compliance, Legal, drat only 14 I could think of.
Wikipedia actually has a list of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_corporate_titles

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hughlander posted:

That's when you start making permutations, for example, "Cheif Officer of Product Compliance".

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Amazing that the Chief Solutions Officer has no page. If you ever get that title, you know you are basically the fall guy. "What do you mean you have no solution for this? We hired you to come up with solutions, for CHrist'sake!"

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hughlander posted:

That's more creativity than they showed. They went heavy in having a bunch of titles for the same department. They've got a Chief, Head, VP, and Director of Design for example.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Years ago I used to see a lot of weird titles from barely-or-probably-not-profitable startups. Things like, "Chief Fun Officer," and "Chief Awesome Officer."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
You can have an unlimited number of vice presidents and they can even share the same title.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

lifg posted:

Years ago I used to see a lot of weird titles from barely-or-probably-not-profitable startups. Things like, "Chief Fun Officer," and "Chief Awesome Officer."

It feels like this was quite a recent thing but maybe that's just the quick march of time (or am I getting mixed up with the rockstar/etc trend and it was a dot-com boom thing? I dunno). Somewhat similar, my previous boss was immensely proud of the fact that he was "measuring joy": in one to ones he had a little chart where he'd ask you to put a number on a load of various skills to say where you thought you were so he could presumably plot it, and one of the column was, literally, "joy", and he would go on and on about how he thought measuring "joy" was the most important thing he was doing

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 17, 2019

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
We used to call that all chiefs and no indians syndrome. It's a surefire sign you're looking at some kind of control fraud.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Che Delilas posted:

You can have an unlimited number of vice presidents and they can even share the same title.

#bankingregulationhacks

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lifg posted:

That stuff was so annoying.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Got an offer coming through (soon, hopefully, but their approval process is a little broken and slow). From what I know this offer should be competitive.

The HQ of this place in my city is pretty overcrowded, as in teams have a mandatory work from home day, they're discouraging driving since there's not enough garage space, etc. It's also a lateral move in terms of commute, which is something I'd really like to shave down after having a long commute for years.

They are, however, in the process of opening new offices within about ten minutes of my house. I've emphasized interest in the new offices but recruiting seems pretty cagey about making guarantees. The hiring process for this company defers permanent placement on a team for about a quarter while you do a few rotations, so I'm not earmarked for any particular team.

Has anyone here successfully negotiated a guarantee about location? I'm not sure what that would look like but I really don't want to get stuck at the HQ and either have to suck it up or leave if it sucks too bad.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Indeed and Wayfair. I was hoping to hear other people's feedback on comparing them, especially from those who have worked at these two companies or lived in Austin/Boston.

Background on myself: 4 YoE as a full stack developer + CSE undergrad. In a weird situation where I decided to go full time to business school (graduating in May) but preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Offer from Indeed (Austin, TX): Technical Business Analyst (80% coding), TC: $97k: $85k base + up to 15% bonus.

Offer from Wayfair (Boston, MA): SWE2, TC: $160k: $125k base + $7k relo + RSUs

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates
- Short commute (15 minutes <)

I was leaning towards Indeed since CoL is cheaper in that area versus Wayfair. It looks like I'd have to pay around $1.3k in Austin for an apartment versus $2.6k in Boston. On the other hand, the Wayfair position is closer to what I would want to be doing career wise. I've read the horror stories about Wayfair, but the team I'm isn't customer-facing, so I don't think I'd need to deal with it. Even if I did, I feel like I've grown accustomed to working in companies with terrible engineering practices with my previous experience.

Any advice?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I love Boston, but short commutes are not what we're known for.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
The lack of any equity compensation would make me very cautious.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

ProSlayer posted:

Boston vs TX

I very hesitantly moved to Boston, and while its a great city and i love it, unless you happen to live on top of public transit and your job is also on that line, the commutes are not great. I dunno where the Wayfair offices are so its hard for me to be more specific, but if you want opinions on living in Boston or have questions feel free to PM me, the whole process was a big learning experience.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ProSlayer posted:

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Indeed and Wayfair. I was hoping to hear other people's feedback on comparing them, especially from those who have worked at these two companies or lived in Austin/Boston.

Background on myself: 4 YoE as a full stack developer + CSE undergrad. In a weird situation where I decided to go full time to business school (graduating in May) but preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Offer from Indeed (Austin, TX): Technical Business Analyst (80% coding), TC: $97k: $85k base + up to 15% bonus.

Offer from Wayfair (Boston, MA): SWE2, TC: $160k: $125k base + $7k relo + RSUs

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates
- Short commute (15 minutes <)

I was leaning towards Indeed since CoL is cheaper in that area versus Wayfair. It looks like I'd have to pay around $1.3k in Austin for an apartment versus $2.6k in Boston. On the other hand, the Wayfair position is closer to what I would want to be doing career wise. I've read the horror stories about Wayfair, but the team I'm isn't customer-facing, so I don't think I'd need to deal with it. Even if I did, I feel like I've grown accustomed to working in companies with terrible engineering practices with my previous experience.

Any advice?

160k - ((2.6k - 1.3k)*12 those are per month I'm assuming) = 144k
So even accounting for CoL differences you've mentioned, You'd be making 40k more at Wayfair. That's a huge difference. You also seem to think Wayfair would be better for your career. It would take some pretty significant Quality of Life advantages in Austin to make me even consider it. With an extra 40k to work with, I'm sure you could find some place right on top of public transit to make the commute better and still come out ahead. In your position I wouldn't even be considering Austin unless I'd had a bad experience during my interview at Wayfair or encountered other red flags. What did you think of the companies when you interviewed?

A job title like SWE2 implies that there's an SWE3 or some other career progression track. This is a good thing.

As someone who grew up in Texas but never visited Boston; Austin is a nice city, for Texas, but it's still in Texas.

What horror stories about Wayfair?

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

LLSix posted:

160k - ((2.6k - 1.3k)*12 those are per month I'm assuming) = 144k
So even accounting for CoL differences you've mentioned, You'd be making 40k more at Wayfair. That's a huge difference. You also seem to think Wayfair would be better for your career. It would take some pretty significant Quality of Life advantages in Austin to make me even consider it. With an extra 40k to work with, I'm sure you could find some place right on top of public transit to make the commute better and still come out ahead. In your position I wouldn't even be considering Austin unless I'd had a bad experience during my interview at Wayfair or encountered other red flags. What did you think of the companies when you interviewed?

A job title like SWE2 implies that there's an SWE3 or some other career progression track. This is a good thing.

As someone who grew up in Texas but never visited Boston; Austin is a nice city, for Texas, but it's still in Texas.

What horror stories about Wayfair?

Here is the horror post about Wayfair that has been circulating: https://www.teamblind.com/article/Technical-incompetence-at-Wayfair----is-there-anything-worse-43wn8iLT

Companies were similar in the sense both had an engineer-focused culture + faux "laid-back" hipness. They were also both going through growing pains with mass hiring of lower level staff without sufficient senior support. Wayfair looked more disorganized and fragile with it being a public company and in the same space as Amazon. Indeed looked more laid-back because they were not a public company so less focused around hitting quarterly results. Fundamentally, Indeed is more "tech" and Wayfair is more e-commerce. I just had another call with Indeed and they're instituting a hiring freeze, so the HR is trying to push my offer through, which sounded pretty shady.

I had a bad impression when visiting Boston though. The office was right in the heart of downtown, so most of the employees commuted from far away to get to work. Downtown driving also looked like a disaster. It just seemed like a really expensive area to live. I preferred the openness/rural feel that Austin had.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
You should 1000% not be driving in Boston. If you took that job you'd get an apartment within a short walk of a T stop and take public transportation.

But it's still a very urban city, and if that's not your thing, if you like that open air life, don't move here. Open air life only exists at the end of a hellecious commute from Boston.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

ProSlayer posted:

I just had another call with Indeed and they're instituting a hiring freeze, so the HR is trying to push my offer through, which sounded pretty shady.

Well please ignore my post about me getting an offer I guess. What the heck is going on over there.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Oh come on, driving in Boston is great fun! My favorite game there is playing "which one of the 7 lights in this lovecraftian intersection is mine?"

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

User posted:

Oh come on, driving in Boston is great fun! My favorite game there is playing "which one of the 7 lights in this lovecraftian intersection is mine?"

The other fun game is "do any of these drivers know what a yield sign means?"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

User posted:

I am the Drowned God

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

YanniRotten posted:

Well please ignore my post about me getting an offer I guess. What the heck is going on over there.

When I spoke to the recruiter this morning, she said there was a re-org occurring so that was the reason for the temporary hiring freeze, but there were planning on honoring all existing offers that were in progress and working to get them through, so I think you should be safe. She also said she'd have an update by the end of the week, so that sounded hopeful.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Probably just some new executive engaging in a social dominance display.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

TheCog posted:

The other fun game is "do any of these drivers know what a yield sign means?"

Gimme a break, after a decade driving in Boston, y'all are lucky if I choose to yield at the stop sign.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I'd be very concerned about a Technical Business Analyst title if you want to get back into software engineering. It sounds like a pseudo PM title that no one understands the job responsibilities for and you're going to have to jump through a bunch of hoops if you want to parlay it into a SWE position. I don't know your expected career path, but I'd be surprised if you could transition from this to a promoted SWE position either internally or externally. The difference in pay seems high enough that you should be able to live wherever you want in Boston and still come out comfortable ahead. I'd recommend looking at benefits as well though since some, like 401k matching, could either close the gap or widen it even further.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

ProSlayer posted:

When I spoke to the recruiter this morning, she said there was a re-org occurring so that was the reason for the temporary hiring freeze, but there were planning on honoring all existing offers that were in progress and working to get them through, so I think you should be safe. She also said she'd have an update by the end of the week, so that sounded hopeful.

Cool. This checks out, I got numbers today.

Not sure what I'm doing. It's pretty much the same base and bonus as current, and the sign on bonus roughly buys out my unvested 'equity' (literally guaranteed cash dripping in every so often) where I am now.

LTIP and anniversary structure is interesting - I have 'em now but Indeed's are straight up triple my current employer's, making me not care that much that my current LTIP vests in the middle of 2020.

So yeah the offer is pretty good 1st year, not so good year 2, then looking kind of nice long term.

Definitely not in a position where the numbers make the choice for me, still gotta figure out what I want to do.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
As far as Indeed goes in Austin, find out if you'd be in the 360 offices, domain, or downtown. 360 is beautiful, but there's basically only one way there and traffic is horrible. Domain is great, but don't get an apartment there unless you're all about consumerism and nightlife. Get an apartment nearby and have all the benefits at half the rent. I've got a house for rent 4 miles from there if you're looking :) I did that bike commute for years and it was great.
Downtown is great, especially during sxsw, but don't drive there. There is a light rail, but it's limited in where it goes.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Yeah I’m very sick of driving downtown. Mostly the getting out of downtown part, but also because there are a lot of miles of i-35 between work and my house and the commute is very variable based on how many people crashed their cars while texting.

Rail has been better in the sense that it doesn’t really save time overall but is reliable and its average case easily beats the worse case for driving. As in always an hour door to door instead of like... 30 to 90 minutes. Also fewer people crash their cars into me.

There are still affordableish family size homes North of the Domain but within like ten minutes of it. That’s where I’m at and it’s alright. As new companies pop up in the Domain I’m starting to try to aim in that direction, would be great to spend more time at home and less time commuting.

Most happy young single people I know at work just bite the bullet and spend a lot of their income on apartments within about ten minutes of the office, would probably do that if I didn’t have a family.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YanniRotten posted:

Yeah I’m very sick of driving downtown. Mostly the getting out of downtown part, but also because there are a lot of miles of i-35 between work and my house and the commute is very variable based on how many people crashed their cars while texting.

Rail has been better in the sense that it doesn’t really save time overall but is reliable and its average case easily beats the worse case for driving. As in always an hour door to door instead of like... 30 to 90 minutes. Also fewer people crash their cars into me.

There are still affordableish family size homes North of the Domain but within like ten minutes of it. That’s where I’m at and it’s alright. As new companies pop up in the Domain I’m starting to try to aim in that direction, would be great to spend more time at home and less time commuting.

Most happy young single people I know at work just bite the bullet and spend a lot of their income on apartments within about ten minutes of the office, would probably do that if I didn’t have a family.

Friend may I invite you to the Midwest?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

5TonsOfFlax posted:

As far as Indeed goes in Austin, find out if you'd be in the 360 offices, domain, or downtown. 360 is beautiful, but there's basically only one way there and traffic is horrible. Domain is great, but don't get an apartment there unless you're all about consumerism and nightlife. Get an apartment nearby and have all the benefits at half the rent. I've got a house for rent 4 miles from there if you're looking :) I did that bike commute for years and it was great.
Downtown is great, especially during sxsw, but don't drive there. There is a light rail, but it's limited in where it goes.

This guy knows what's up, being able to have a bike ride to work like this has been on my perk list for a while.
Yesterday a VP at work explained that they are not opening a satellite office near my house (that I could probably bike to) but instead will rent floors next door to the current campus. Makes perfect sense, and my commute to campus is 35 minutes by car on a clear day and I can exercise as much as I want during work hours but I would love to ride a bike to work. It would be the only reason for me to leave this place after the project I am on is done.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are we ranting about Austin now?

It's amazing to me how I'll look up where stuff is now that claims "Central Austin" and see it's north of 183. There are some meetups and stuff that happen "in Austin" that I think technically were in Williamson County. And here I am in a house pretty much where Mopac ends... on the southern side.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Jobs posted south of the river are dead to me. I've made my decision to be central and work north.
Speaking of which, my partner works due west of where we live in the aforementioned beautiful but terrible to get to office with mandatory dont-park-at-the-office days. The whole parking situation at that office has been a debacle for at least a year now. It's probably top tier as far as Austin jobs go but they're growing so much. I'm coming up on 3 years at my current job (which is a shitstorm atm due to reorgs and people quitting/being laid off) and have considered applying there, but it would probably be weird to work for the same company as my spouse. I need to find a place in Austin that isn't dysfunctional/will give me a raise, or just go to one of the larger markets on the west coast. I will prepare a van to live in along with the usual CTCI cramming I'm going through right now.

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
I've read more than once that applying to multiple positions on the same company could be a bad look.

I don't really feel like this is valid because of how disorganized hiring staff can be and how much the application software makes everything into a silo. I don't trust that if I apply for Graphics Engineer that they'll also consider me for Networking Engineer if my resume covers both nicely unless I apply to both.

Does anyone know if a potential employer would really see I applied to two similar positions and go "wow this guy doesn't have focus/know what he wants to do"?

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
I had my position eliminated at a big company and was given 30 days to get another position if I wanted to stay. Needless to say I applied to every internal posting that looked interesting. Having options is a good thing. Think of it as a boss hiring search.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Uhh Nope posted:

I've read more than once that applying to multiple positions on the same company could be a bad look.

I don't really feel like this is valid because of how disorganized hiring staff can be and how much the application software makes everything into a silo. I don't trust that if I apply for Graphics Engineer that they'll also consider me for Networking Engineer if my resume covers both nicely unless I apply to both.

Does anyone know if a potential employer would really see I applied to two similar positions and go "wow this guy doesn't have focus/know what he wants to do"?

I don't think that would look bad to engineers or most engineering managers, I don't know about the HR screening layer though. They always seem to be on a different wavelength.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Uhh Nope posted:

I've frequently been offered a different job than the one I interviewed for.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Seems like the kind of thing that might vary by company and probably also depends on the kind of roles you're applying to. I suppose there is the potential that it could make you look desperate and that you're just applying to everything you see.

I have another job search question. I am currently looking for a new job and have an interview for a manager position coming up soon. I have done the engineer -> senior engineer -> architect progression at my current company. This is a smaller company and it's the sole manager over a team of five with the company looking to double that number in the near future. I am not really sure what to expect on this as I haven't ever interviewed for a management position before. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on questions I should be asking or things to look out for when it comes to managing versus hands on development? I still plan on asking some of my usual questions for an engineering role as that is still relevant. Just not sure if there are other things I should consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What kind of support will you receive as a newbie manager? Managing is a different skillset from engineering and not something that you should necessarily expect you'll be great at. Relatedly, what breakdown of time do they expect you'll spend on people managing vs. engineering? People managing can take a lot of time; what are their expectations are for how much technical work you do when it's performance evaluation season or you're mentoring a newbie, etc? What are your responsibilities: is this solely people management or does it also encompass project/program management? How much does your team interact with other teams; what do their management structures look like and can you interview them? Do conflicts arise between teams, and if so, how are they resolved? How many direct and indirect reports does your manager have?

Since the team is growing, what kind of oversight will you have over candidates to be added to the team? What's the hiring process? What happens if a candidate gets hired but it doesn't work out?