Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

How do people use that with gaming? Is this like the days of having custom config.sys/autoexec.bat boot disks for different games, but for RAM timings? Please tell me it is, that would be so amazing.
My board is an Asus Crosshair-V formula-z,I guess the BIOS Direct Key is not "gamery" but it does have some crazy stuff. I might be wrong about all of this because it's all crap I plan to never use, bit from skimming the manual I think I figured out what these things do:

There is a Go button which I think loads a different (possibly multiple different) overclock profiles. There is also a "slow mode" switch for something about liquid nitrogen cooling, a BIOS reset button on the back panel (that one I actually like) and ROG connect which does something with allowing another PC or laptop to adjust the overclock in settings. The Go button, Direct key, slow mode switch are all mounted on the PC to where they are internal once the board is installed in a case.

I guess all these features are useful if your extremely into overclocking, but I am not. Really, even for an overclocker I doubt this is tremendously useful. My understanding of overclocking is you spend a few hours or so increasing speeds until you find the point of instability and then you leave it there, I can't see why you would want to constantly adjust the speed settings. It's all useful features for tweakers, but I don't care much for it

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Couple weeks ago my coworker tried to update the BIOS on a Supermicro AMD Epyc server through the UEFI shell and it got bricked. It would really have been nice to have a dual-BIOS on that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Saukkis posted:

Couple weeks ago my coworker tried to update the BIOS on a Supermicro AMD Epyc server through the UEFI shell and it got bricked. It would really have been nice to have a dual-BIOS on that.

Most modern boards, even server boards, have a BIOS recovery method, usually a specific USB port that you can put in a USB drive with the necessary firmware and it'll flash without any keyboard/user interaction.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lucky that board should have a socketed bios chip, so that is easily fixed. But yeah dual bios rules.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Lucky that board should have a socketed bios chip, so that is easily fixed. But yeah dual bios rules.

...wait, what? Who still does that? Every recent Supermicro board I've see, the BIOS is soldered to the board.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Most likely those boards can have the bios updated via IPMI?

gently caress up the BMC and then you’re hooped, though :haw: (unless it has a usb boot & flash option)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

priznat posted:

Most likely those boards can have the bios updated via IPMI?

gently caress up the BMC and then you’re hooped, though :haw: (unless it has a usb boot & flash option)

I tried that on one of the two Supermicros we have, can't remember if it was this failure case, but the IPMI didn't manage to do it. We are mostly HPE house with some Dells, and I have to say we are less than pleased with these Supermicros.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah, if you're okay with your servers being essentially disposable commodities or doing a lot of work to build your own automation tools then Supermicro can be the right choice but Dell and HP do a fair bit of work to make sure things are validated and you have the right management/recovery tools. I wouldn't be touching them unless I was running some kind of large-scale standardized infrastructure.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD SoC Expected to Power Next Xbox, PlayStation Is Seemingly Closer to Production

quote:

If you follow Marvin's AMD Condename Decoder, then AMD Gonzalo should have eight physical cores operating at a 1GHz base clock speed and 3.2GHz boost clock. Due to the 13E9 PCIe ID, the SoC is rumored to come with integrated Navi 10 Lite graphics running at 1GHz.

quote:

Lastly, the PCIe ID on the qualification sample is 13F8 instead of 13E9. It appears to be another variant of the original Navi 10 Lite graphics card that was spotted in the engineering sample. This qualification sample's iGPU (integrated graphics processing unit) apparently clocks in at 1.8GHz, making it 800MHz faster than the previous engineering sample.

Of note is that 1.8GHz number, because that would be clocked higher than any previous AMD card we've seen so far.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AMD SoC Expected to Power Next Xbox, PlayStation Is Seemingly Closer to Production

Of note is that 1.8GHz number, because that would be clocked higher than any previous AMD card we've seen so far.

Doesn't the Radeon VII hit 1800 mhz at stock?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

B-Mac posted:

Doesn't the Radeon VII hit 1800 mhz at stock?

No, 1750Mhz, base is 1400Mhz. It can be overclocked manually to 2Ghz though but that's way outside where it's most efficient. Most console GPUs are underclocked compared to their desktop siblings so they sit better inside the power/performance curve, so 1.8Ghz being that sweet spot compared to what Vega is bringing indicates some good things for Navi, probably 2.2Ghz, possibly 2.5Ghz fMax.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What would be even more interesting will be to see if this is all a unified APU solution, or two separate, discrete chips, which raises even MORE questions about the thermal envelope of the combined APU if they can clock to 1.8 while sitting next to Zen silicon.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I doubt that both systems will use the same exact chip. Both using AMD APU’s, sure of course, but not identical ones.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Any guesses as to the RAM solution? I'm sure they want to go unified to maximize backward compatibility, but what flavor will it be? GDDR5? 5X? 6?

HBM2? :newlol:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well. To start, whatever amount of RAM that they come to a conclusion on will be at least 8. I think that's what the 580 tops out at, so having more vram hurts their GPU sales if they can't sell any cards that meet console min spec.

HBM is too expensive. GDDR6 is also expensive, but not as expensive, and I don't trust Navi to have enough horsepower to saturate GDDR6, even with the new numbers.

So in the end, I'm thinking 8+ GB of GDDR5(X) plus a little whatever extra they keep in reserve for running system processes + SRAM they want on the side or whatever, if they're still gonna keep building consoles with only GDDR instead of having GDDR and DDR like a normal x86 system.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well. To start, whatever amount of RAM that they come to a conclusion on will be at least 8. I think that's what the 580 tops out at, so having more vram hurts their GPU sales if they can't sell any cards that meet console min spec.

This is certainly a take

To make this less of a drive-by shitpost, Sony/Microsoft have the final say on how much memory to stick onto the SoC. Hell, the XBox X already has 12GB of GDDR5.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 16, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1118124767934959617

8 core Zen 2 and a custom Navi GPU with Ray tracing support.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 16, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What? Hardware support? So I guess it'll be in Navi cards, too?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

What? Hardware support? So I guess it'll be in Navi cards, too?

It is a custom navi but yeah. This is more confirmation that Navi probably is supporting hardware raytracing

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm more surprised about the mention of an SSD tbh

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I'm more surprised about the mention of an SSD tbh

From the sounds of things in the article Cerny wanted to put a SSD in the ps4 but they were too costly back then.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

finally, enough power for knack to be fully realized

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MagusDraco posted:

From the sounds of things in the article Cerny wanted to put a SSD in the ps4 but they were too costly back then.

Just the sheer reliability improvement from HDDs to SSDs alone will save enough in warranty costs for Sony/MS to offset the slight SSD price premium versus HDDs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That much power and I/o puts it firmly up against high end spec pc’s. It’s going to be quite a powerful platform.

eames
May 9, 2009

Palladium posted:

Just the sheer reliability improvement from HDDs to SSDs alone will save enough in warranty costs for Sony/MS to offset the slight SSD price premium versus HDDs.

unless the SSD is soldered to the motherboard :ssh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

eames posted:

unless the SSD is soldered to the motherboard :ssh:

Could save a ton of space using an M.2 SATA SSD. NVMe would be even better but let's be realistic. Support for NVMe as an upgrade option would be nice though. Please be M.2

Also with the last few gens supporting storage upgrades I highly doubt they'll solder it unless they offer additional ports for additional storage and we know how well that worked with the original XBOX and it's IDE cables.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Isn't heat still an issue for M.2 drives, too?

Wonder what it means for reliability.

Can't believe we're getting an SSD drive before an optical UHD drive.

eames
May 9, 2009

pixaal posted:

Could save a ton of space using an M.2 SATA SSD. NVMe would be even better but let's be realistic. Support for NVMe as an upgrade option would be nice though. Please be M.2

Also with the last few gens supporting storage upgrades I highly doubt they'll solder it unless they offer additional ports for additional storage and we know how well that worked with the original XBOX and it's IDE cables.

everything in that article screams soldered PCIe 4.0 SSD with custom controller to me, perhaps paired with AMD's StoreMI tiered caching for external drives.
Great for Sony beancounters too because it opens up new product segmentation (128GB/512GB/1TB). Maybe I'm just being overly :tinfoil: — look what Apple has done to me. :(

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Did you guys not read past the SSD mention?

quote:

At the moment, Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

It's a smaller cache drive most likely. No chance for something sata for sure even if it's not hybrid.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

It almost sounds like an Optane cache, but an AMD processor with a Optane support would be unusual to say the least.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Xae posted:

It almost sounds like an Optane cache, but an AMD processor with a Optane support would be unusual to say the least.

Optane as it relates to caching is nothing special (and pretty much obsolete), AMD has had a similar solution forever.

But I don't believe it's going to be a cache drive because that increases manufacturing complexity (SSD & HDD) and doesn't solve the fundamental problem of extremely long load times.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

" a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs" screams the normal bullshit hype from before console launches and i love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“raw bandwidth” sounds like they might cheap out on the interconnect, though I’m not sure exactly how they would do that

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

“raw bandwidth” sounds like they might cheap out on the interconnect, though I’m not sure exactly how they would do that

Raw bandwidth could just mean "it's a pcie4 ssd. Sure it only goes up to nvme speeds at best but..."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I really want an AMD workstation laptop, I wish there was more options there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd buy *any* workstation laptop that's also 13". Sony bring back the old vaio Z

but yeah, a 16 thread ryzen in a laptop would be amazing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Truga posted:

I'd buy *any* workstation laptop that's also 13". Sony bring back the old vaio Z

but yeah, a 16 thread ryzen in a laptop would be amazing

Yeah, I bought a Precision M7510 specifically because I needed specific processor features and ECC for certain projects, plus need for more memory than normal. But if AMD did a high core count Ryzen machine, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The problem isn't AMD making the right parts, it's the OEMs putting the AMD parts into devices worth buying. Instead, they've mostly been using the lowest cost parts, cut down everything and give you single channel RAM. So, "AMD doesn't sell :v:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Cygni posted:

" a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs" screams the normal bullshit hype from before console launches and i love it

MagusDraco posted:

Raw bandwidth could just mean "it's a pcie4 ssd. Sure it only goes up to nvme speeds at best but..."

ya if they added the word "theoretical" in there it would be a top notch sentence

I'm excited for all of this news, it sounds like its raising the ground floor for hardware tremendously which is perfect imho