Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know for all the complaints about post-book seasons remember when Dany had literally nothing happen for like all of season 2 and every episode she’d pop up and ask about her dragons and they introduced characters like the mask girl whose foreshadowing led to absolutely nothing happening

Seriously season 2 alone should have shown everyone what absolute nonsense we were heading towards. Just turn off your expectations and enjoy the only conclusion your gonna get to this 20 year farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You know what episode was most egregiously just filler?

Hardhome

:smug:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You know what episode was most egregiously just filler?

Hardhome

:smug:

Absolutely, only one location to show in the entire episode, what the gently caress!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm just waiting to make more Dark Souls memes out of the show

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I like this show that’s why I bitch about it all the time, isolating me from people who share common interests.

If I didn’t like it I’d just call the people who enjoy it stupid, isolating me from people who don’t share common interests.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally every season's first episode has been 60 minutes of scene setting and reintroduction to characters, I don't know why it still surprises people.

DoctorGonzo posted:

there is no way in hell they can close all those threads

The whole point of the story being told is that people are selfish and short sighted and despite enormous amounts of forewarning are incapable of putting their short-term concerns aside in order to deal with the climate change causing monsters before it is too late.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Alchenar posted:

Literally every season's first episode has been 60 minutes of scene setting and reintroduction to characters, I don't know why it still surprises people.

The whole point of the story being told is that people are selfish and short sighted and despite enormous amounts of forewarning are incapable of putting their short-term concerns aside in order to deal with the climate change causing monsters before it is too late.

Oh it's global cooling now again is it huh? GRRM :argh:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tought It was about tits and dragons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SimonChris posted:

I would still like to know what the Night Kings plan was if Dany had never arrived. Was he just going to march to the wall and go "drat, I really hoped we would have found a dragon by now."

A big thing in GOT is that magic is returning because of the dragons, because people believe in magic again. And its kinda implied that same process is bringing back the winter.

Its a star wars "the darkness rises and light to meet it" thing, and vice versa.

That's why the maesters are pretending magic doesn't exist. They are trying to delay winter indefinitely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PostNouveau posted:

I like to think this is part of a larger existential freakout you're having, and you're over in the car subforum at the same time going "What's even the point of Ferrari!?!"

You really don't want to see his ferrari posts.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Harton posted:

Seriously season 2 alone should have shown everyone what absolute nonsense we were heading towards. Just turn off your expectations and enjoy the only conclusion your gonna get to this 20 year farce.

Yeah, but this is HBO and the most expensive show in the history of mankind. HBO puts out fantastically written and acted shows all the time so they are absolutely capable of doing this right. FFS, goons were solving all their plot troubles itt for the last few seasons while shitposting on the toilet. You can't tell me a hired professional writer can't do it with a couple of months time.

At this point it's probably fair to assume that the wet garbage writing is some kind of political statement or art project.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

TheRat posted:

Considering how much he interacts with Bran in his matrix-state, the Night King is probably a greenseer too. Which meant he knew Dany was coming north with her dragons.

The white walkers and zombie army have never been very far from the wall since day one of the show. You had the white walkers killing those guys in the woods in the very first scene, and the white walkers stealing babies from that one guy near the wall. Then there was that other scene where the zombie army shows up while the nights watch guys were out there and Sam hid behind the rock. They were never more than a few days walk from the wall at any one time, yet years have passed since the beginning of the show, so it got me wondering what the hell the zombie army was even doing out there. Walking in circles over and over? Yet they make their move at the wall the instant they get their hands on the dragon. So it seems pretty likely that they knew the dragons were coming all along and were just waiting for one with those ice javelins ready to go at all times. So jon snow spent half the show talking up the white walkers as being a giant threat coming to kill everyone, but him being a giant dumbass is the only reason they were able to get through the wall in the first place, and the night king knew it all along so lol

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 16, 2019

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well he is a targ after all

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Opferwurst posted:

Yeah, but this is HBO and the most expensive show in the history of mankind. HBO puts out fantastically written and acted shows all the time so they are absolutely capable of doing this right. FFS, goons were solving all their plot troubles itt for the last few seasons while shitposting on the toilet. You can't tell me a hired professional writer can't do it with a couple of months time.

At this point it's probably fair to assume that the wet garbage writing is some kind of political statement or art project.

Yeah that’s a good point, HBO has made much better stuff. I put it all on the D brothers for being hacks and having the easiest starter poo poo fall into their laps. Then knew they couldn’t do it justice after they ran out of books and just bullshitted their way through to the end. I mean Dave loving Hill really? That’s the best they could do? Obviously not, but they probably saved a ton of money giving him the reigns and put the rest into hopefully some decent battle scenes and cgi I suppose. It’s become a wrestlemania sort of event and spectacle.

I’m going to laugh when Dave Hill writes some great HBO series in 10 years.

At least I’m getting something, otherwise the badly wheezing out of shape old rear end man would have died and a small childhood wish of mine would have died with him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like Succession. That show is good especially after the first four episodes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Presumably the Night King has Bran-like powers and would have staged an attack on the wall to draw out the dragons as soon as Dany either agreed to help or at least became Queen and was forced to defend her kingdom from them. There’s magic fate poo poo happening no matter how dumb Jon is.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My friends and I were cracking up tiffing on the Sam scene thanks to Robin Hood Men in Tights.

“Well..... at the very least, that means my favorite horse will be returned to me!”

“I’m afraid the horse stood with your brother...”

“My dog?”

“Stood with the horse.”

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Night King would have looked pretty loving silly without that generous aim assist

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

precision posted:

Night King would have looked pretty loving silly without that generous aim assist

It was clearly a heat seeker like an aim-9 sidewinder

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

A big thing in GOT is that magic is returning because of the dragons, because people believe in magic again. And its kinda implied that same process is bringing back the winter.

Its a star wars "the darkness rises and light to meet it" thing, and vice versa.

That's why the maesters are pretending magic doesn't exist. They are trying to delay winter indefinitely.

We don't really know why magic is returning though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s going to be revealed Qyburn kept the wight Jon and crew brought and used it to experiment on people, in combination of wildfire, to create fire walkers as a way to combat and ultimately defeat the Night King.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the Night's Watch repel a wildling attack on their big gate in Season 5 or so? Edd and someone else killed a giant?

You'd think the Others would have just gone right after that from the beginning if they were in position to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s going to be revealed Qyburn kept the wight Jon and crew brought and used it to experiment on people, in combination of wildfire, to create fire walkers as a way to combat and ultimately defeat the Night King.

Hell, I'd watch it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IRC it was heavily implied that the Maesters were slowly poisoning the dragons and that's why they died out.

It really makes me sad to think that we are never getting a resolution or some kind of closure for the story. I have such positive feelings about the books and reading them as a child :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

IRC it was heavily implied that the Maesters were slowly poisoning the dragons and that's why they died out.

It really makes me sad to think that we are never getting a resolution or some kind of closure for the story. I have such positive feelings about the books and reading them as a child :(

There's a ton of loose threads that Martin wasn't going to sew up either.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

We don't really know why magic is returning though.

Also, the wall is magic, so magic returning should make it more powerful, not less :colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

I would still like to know what the Night Kings plan was if Dany had never arrived. Was he just going to march to the wall and go "drat, I really hoped we would have found a dragon by now."

Considering he was able to see and touch Bran when Bran was spying on his army he probably has the same powers Bran does meaning he can see into the past/future/whatever.

So he set the bait knowing that Dany would come and he would get his dragon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

And another thing, what really was the deal with the Snakes and Foxes????

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think anyone is expecting that. Any kind of closure for the main plot and the characters would be fine at this point.

I think Grum was really shook from the poor reception that DWD and AFC received and got a lot of performance anxiety about releasing a masterpiece. Now, ten years later, people would welcome absolutely anything with open arms.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SimonChris posted:

I would still like to know what the Night Kings plan was if Dany had never arrived.

Seduce Jon Snow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You think the Blackfish is coming back in the books? You think Brienne is gonna wind up doing anything at all? That black candle thing in wherever the maesters are? That stuff in Essos where there's two powerful factions waging a proxy war in a bunch of the free cities?

GRRM ain't gonna tie all that poo poo up either.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure what your point is. People want some kind of closure for the main characters, the plot in Westeros and the approaching conflict with the Others.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of Brienne where the hell was she this episode? Is she supposed to be somewhere other than Winterfell? We got all these chummy reunions and yet we didn't even get one scene of her and the Hound exchanging terse gently caress yous?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

You think the Blackfish is coming back in the books? You think Brienne is gonna wind up doing anything at all? That black candle thing in wherever the maesters are? That stuff in Essos where there's two powerful factions waging a proxy war in a bunch of the free cities?

GRRM ain't gonna tie all that poo poo up either.

If Bronn actually kills Jaime its because Brienne was going to do it in the book summary they were given. Otherwise.... yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sydin posted:

Speaking of Brienne where the hell was she this episode? Is she supposed to be somewhere other than Winterfell? We got all these chummy reunions and yet we didn't even get one scene of her and the Hound exchanging terse gently caress yous?

She was in the welcoming party, I expect they'll get to her reunions next episode

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

I'm not sure what your point is. People want some kind of closure for the main characters, the plot in Westeros and the approaching conflict with the Others.

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

We'll never get closure on tons and tons of other interesting stuff. Martin ain't finishing the books and, if he did, he's not capable of wrapping all this other cool poo poo up within 2 books anyway. A lot of the minor book stuff will get swept under the rug and the main characters/plot will converge in basically the same way as the show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rarity posted:

She was in the welcoming party, I expect they'll get to her reunions next episode

The whole season is just reunions for fans to jerk off to.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I enjoy emotional masturbation

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Harton posted:

Dany has been the worst most unbearable character with the worst plot from the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

We'll never get closure on tons and tons of other interesting stuff. Martin ain't finishing the books and, if he did, he's not capable of wrapping all this other cool poo poo up within 2 books anyway. A lot of the minor book stuff will get swept under the rug and the main characters/plot will converge in basically the same way as the show.

Basically Martin has written himself into a quagmire around an entirely new set of characters revolving around the Golden Company in the books, whereas in the show they barely matter/don't exist. Related to that, the show basically clown-car'd the entire Dorne plot into "ok whatever they're all dead now" while that shows no signs of slowing down in the books either.