Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Flopsy posted:

You got a shiny charm?

I don't even know what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If you complete the Pokedex (minus the mythicals such as Serebi, Mew, etc) in a game you get a shiny charm which greatly increases your chance of finding shinies in the wild and from eggs from the daycare. I think it's 4x off the top of my head. It stacks with other methods of increasing shiny chance such as the Masuda method for breeding and others.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
slugma

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

That's definitely a Pokémon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If you complete the Pokedex (minus the mythicals such as Serebi, Mew, etc) in a game you get a shiny charm which greatly increases your chance of finding shinies in the wild and from eggs from the daycare. I think it's 4x off the top of my head. It stacks with other methods of increasing shiny chance such as the Masuda method for breeding and others.

Well, I definitely don't have that.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Why is slugma not a bug type when slugs are clearly insects?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

slugma balls

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's already got enough going against it as it is and you want it to take neutral damage to fire too?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

it’s not a slug it’s lava

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Slugma is the floor?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

*puts hand into magma* look at this cool bug i found

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Slugs are mollusks, not arthropods

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

less laughter posted:

Slugma is the floor?

yeah it’s the floor

friend
looks cool (or should i say warm hahahah)
o
o
rips

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i caught a shiny magcargo the other day and he pink like a pepto bismol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Slugma........ thank yuo.....

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I got a couple Alpha Sapphire questions

Is there anyway to always wear the contest outfit? I want my guy to match my Cosplay Pikachu

Does Alpha Sapphire have kinda crappy Pokemon? I'm three gyms in and so far I only really like half my team. Marshtomp, Loudred, and Cosplay Pikachu. And frankly Cosplay Pikachu is cheating. Are there more better Pokemon later on?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Is there anyway to always wear the contest outfit? I want my guy to match my Cosplay Pikachu

Does Alpha Sapphire have kinda crappy Pokemon? I'm three gyms in and so far I only really like half my team. Marshtomp, Loudred, and Cosplay Pikachu. And frankly Cosplay Pikachu is cheating. Are there more better Pokemon later on?

You can get a Makuhita in the cave by Dewford and Hariyama is an utter beast of a pokemon

Skarmory's on Route 113 I think, and Tailow/Swellow is good enough to get you there in the short term

And no, you can't change your outfit, which blows

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Makuhita is just Buu from Dragonball Z. They can't fool me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mizuti posted:

Blaziken is based off of a shamo chicken, and I don't think it keeps enough of that aesthetic. It's got a streamlined, clean, artificial look, and though I don't dislike it, it could be way more interesting if it stayed closer to its inspiration.

Just look at the fierce dinosaur eyes, strong taloned legs, and shaggy plumage. It looks more battle-ready than Blaziken.

I can't tell if this thing is 8 inches tall or 5 feet

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

indigi posted:

I can't tell if this thing is 8 inches tall or 5 feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWSrXUQNCtg

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
ORAS has Slakoth, Lotad, Ralts, Seedot, Shroomish, Taillow all in the starting area.

How can you be starved for good Pokémon?

Aron is in Dewford Cave too, right?

Edit: Oh, you picked Swampert. You just have poo poo taste. Got it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nanigans posted:

ORAS has Slakoth, Lotad, Ralts, Seedot, Shroomish, Taillow all in the starting area.

How can you be starved for good Pokémon?

Aron is in Dewford Cave too, right?

The only one of those I've actually encountered in the wild is Tailow. I've seen the others used by different trainers, but I've never had a chance to capture any of them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

three gyms in is enough to have shedinja, the coolest gen 3 monster probably

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I saw a Nincada once, but accidentally KO'd it before I could catch it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nanigans posted:

How dare you besmirch the best gen iii starter

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gripweed posted:

The only non-legendary/non-postgame stuff you can't get is the Seedot line, and Mawile, Zangoose, and Solrock. Barring the fact everyone has different tastes, all of these are lame so you're not missing anything. Might I recommend Shedinja? You can get him real early and while his stats suck his gimmick works great in Hoenn since the only moves that can hurt him are uncommon. The Aron line you can find in that cave in Dewford town and works great. Most importantly get a Shroomish from Petalburg woods because it evolves into Breloom who is strong and my friend.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I swear to god, I am not exaggerating when I say that half the wild pokemon I've encountered have been Zigzagoons

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Gripweed posted:

I swear to god, I am not exaggerating when I say that half the wild pokemon I've encountered have been Zigzagoons

just wait till you get to the Water routes (7.8/10) since the most abundant Hoenn mon is actually Wailmer

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's a lot of gen 3 Pokemon I really like and imo gen 3 has one of the most aesthetically cohesive sets of Pokemon taken as a whole. The flipside of this, though, is that if that aesthetic doesn't personally appeal to you then you're kind of SOL, because Hoenn's selection of older Pokemon is admittedly somewhat lacking.

Also the Mudkip line is okay but picking it is definitely a trap because the nature of Hoenn means there are so many other, cooler water types to choose from.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

less laughter posted:

just wait till you get to the Water routes (7.8/10) since the most abundant Hoenn mon is actually Wailmer

Wingulls and Tentacools. Everywhere.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cattail Prophet posted:

There's a lot of gen 3 Pokemon I really like and imo gen 3 has one of the most aesthetically cohesive sets of Pokemon taken as a whole. The flipside of this, though, is that if that aesthetic doesn't personally appeal to you then you're kind of SOL, because Hoenn's selection of older Pokemon is admittedly somewhat lacking.

Also the Mudkip line is okay but picking it is definitely a trap because the nature of Hoenn means there are so many other, cooler water types to choose from.

On the other hand Mudkip evolutions make one of the best HM slaves since he can learn all the water HM's and Strength. And since Blaziken and Sceptile are lame it's not like you'll need a starter for anything else.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm a fan of the Mudkip line, not least because your only other choices for ground-type pokemon pre-Wattson are the Geodude line (admittedly perfectly serviceable, but it's nice to have variety) and Nincada (which doesn't learn any good ground type moves and will be on the verge of not being a ground type any more by the time you hit Wattson). Also Mega Swampert is a massive goddamn truck that Earthquakes and Waterfalls everything very hard.

Mono-water run is definitely an option for Alpha Sapphire though!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gripweed posted:

Do you just...not walk in the grass? Like, even Wurmple are all over the area before the first gym.

Dewford has Zubat, Machop, Geodude and Abra too, I believe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nanigans posted:

Do you just...not walk in the grass? Like, even Wurmple are all over the area before the first gym.

Dewford has Zubat, Machop, Geodude and Abra too, I believe.

I walk in the grass so much. I've KO'd multiple Pokemon I wanted to catch because my guys are so overpowered from fighting Zigzagoons and, yes, Wurmples. But significantly fewer Wurmples than Zigzagoons. I need to turn off EXP share just to stop leveling up the low level Pokemon I keep to catch wild Pokemon from being over leveled by the time I see a new Pokemon I haven't caught. I've seen some Geodudes and I saw an Abra once but it ran away. No Zubats or Machops.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Have you considered that maybe you are destined to be the world's foremost Zigzagoon trainer? It's a great Pokémon if you think about it... learns almost all the HMs, picks up items for you, won't KO whatever you're trying to catch, etc.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's not obligatory to defeat all the Pokemon you encounter in the wild, you know.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Entropist posted:

It's not obligatory to defeat all the Pokemon you encounter in the wild, you know.

Hell by late-game I'm running from like 99% of all wild battles because they give so little XP at that point (and I'm too miserly to buy repels).

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Better pokemon tend to show up on later routes. Also you'll get a Latias guaranteed later on and that's a heavy hitter right there. What are you looking for in your pokemon exactly? Tankiness? Move variety? Special/physical attack? Gimme something to work with here.

Nanigans posted:

So says the Dragon Ball Z avatar. RIP irony.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 17, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flopsy posted:

Better pokemon tend to show up on later routes. Also you'll get a Latias guaranteed later on and that's a heavy hitter right there. What are you looking for in your pokemon exactly? Tankiness? Move variety? Special/physical attack? Gimme something to work with here.

I like Pokemon that have good designs that I like