Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Does it matter?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Lol going to an organized crime poker game to talk to somebody for a rival mob boss, taking all the credits off the table in front of their faces, and nothing happens.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question for the thread... I bought Mankind Divided some time ago on Steam. I have yet to play it due to my backlog and all that, but I noticed that despite purchasing the Season Pass I do not have the Tactical Pack and Assault Pack DLCs. Are these just blatant cash grabs for consumables that can be had elsewhere, or am I missing meaningful content?

Also, why does MD have such crappy reviews? I know that I haven't played it, but 68% for a game that looks pretty good seems kind of shite.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Question for the thread... I bought Mankind Divided some time ago on Steam. I have yet to play it due to my backlog and all that, but I noticed that despite purchasing the Season Pass I do not have the Tactical Pack and Assault Pack DLCs. Are these just blatant cash grabs for consumables that can be had elsewhere, or am I missing meaningful content?

Also, why does MD have such crappy reviews? I know that I haven't played it, but 68% for a game that looks pretty good seems kind of shite.

Did you check under the games properties -> DLC (when installed)? I can still buy those 2 and it doesn't say I have them on the store page, but I still got them ingame as well as under said tab.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think part of the review problem is their microtransaction bullshit. It doesn't really effect gameplay and you're free to ignore it, but it's a lovely tactic and it was bound to get complained about in reviews.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Casimir Radon posted:

I think part of the review problem is their microtransaction bullshit. It doesn't really effect gameplay and you're free to ignore it, but it's a lovely tactic and it was bound to get complained about in reviews.

The beginning and ending are also mucky, it's actually a solid and underrated game in its own right but the sequel hooks are clumsy (it ends with a long voiceover on a static screen of AI newsreader lady). And yeah the microtransactions were lolworthy.

oh and that DLC is comically worthless and overpriced, don't worry about it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 15, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

haldolium posted:

Did you check under the games properties -> DLC (when installed)? I can still buy those 2 and it doesn't say I have them on the store page, but I still got them ingame as well as under said tab.

It was exactly that; didn't even think to check. I have a few bits of DLC for other games that I've owned for years that never show up as owned until I go to their store page, and then I get the green banner of ownership.

Casimir Radon posted:

I hate microtransactions too, but I figured that it was something like this. There's a Steam/GOG game that I quite like called Order of Battle that has, at present, 11 different campaigns for the game. Every time a new campaign is introdcued, at least on Steam, players can play the first mission but have to pay to unlock the full campaign. I could be mistaken about how it works, but I find this fairly generous yet people have absolutely crucified the game for that despite strong critical reviews by strategy gaming sources that really know that genre.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

sebmojo posted:

What the what? I haven't played all the dlc but what I've seen so far is wonderful and much better set than most of the main game. The prison break dlc in particular really captured the classic DX feel to me, it's a great contained set piece. Grab it on sale but it's absolutely worth playing if you want more after the main campaign drops off.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah I thought the consensus was that the prison DLC is really good. 'Desperate Measures' I remember as being pretty ho-hum and only if you're desperate for more content and the one with Pritchard somewhere in-between.

Edit: also

Simiain posted:

It isnt his baby or his bloody universe and for someone waxing lyrical over their spiritual ownership of Deus Ex they sure did manage to miss the god-drat point by a few dozen miles.

gently caress that statement pissed me right off.

Yeah that pisses me off as well. DX HR and MD were far inferior in writing. DX1 took all the worst parts of the modern day and extrapolated some of the worst trends, and was more or less seemed like the fever dream of a conspiracy theorist with a political science major. HR and MD's attempts at intertwining the sci fi future with distrust of government were anaemic and shallow in comparison.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 16, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jojoinnit posted:

What the what? I haven't played all the dlc but what I've seen so far is wonderful and much better set than most of the main game. The prison break dlc in particular really captured the classic DX feel to me, it's a great contained set piece. Grab it on sale but it's absolutely worth playing if you want more after the main campaign drops off.

Oh no I meant the tactical rifle&2x gas grenades ones. The actual dlc is good, sorry.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Oh no I meant the tactical rifle&2x gas grenades ones. The actual dlc is good, sorry.

Nah my bad, I didn't read your post in context of who you were replying to. The Awful app loads just the unread posts by default so I saw it in a vacuum. But it's not a bad thing to remind everyone to go play the Prison Break dlc, especially since it's probably the last Deus Ex content we'll get for years until the IP gets re-rebooted.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Deus Ex might not belong, as a name, to that dude who left Eidos, but the aesthetics, many of the characters, much of the writing and world design absolutely do. I think Deus Ex HR is just about as good as the original game and was a fantastic comeback. It's just as much of a reboot as it is a prequel. If I worked on it for years and years and invested tons of my time into making one of my favorite franchises make a return, I'd consider it my baby also. That doesn't have to take away with anything Warren Spector/Ion Storm accomplished with the original games.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

sebmojo posted:

The beginning and ending are also mucky, it's actually a solid and underrated game in its own right but the sequel hooks are clumsy (it ends with a long voiceover on a static screen of AI newsreader lady). And yeah the microtransactions were lolworthy.

I rather like both the beginning and end missions. The epilogue and abrupt ending do kind of suck though. Especially the hook for a sequel that's not coming any time soon. I just think reviews slammed the game a little harder than they might have due to lovely business decisions. There certainly are other things worth complaining about though.

Then there's the DLC. A Criminal Past is actually pretty good and worthy of being DLC since it's an entirely different setting, a stand alone story. The others less so. The Pritchard one is alright I guess, but the one where you sneak into the security company is incredibly short. It's kind of telling that you don't get the option to just play them as sidequests in the regular game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really liked the religious cult mission.

An ssd is compulsory for MD btw, you spend a lot of time on loading screens.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Casimir Radon posted:

I rather like both the beginning and end missions. The epilogue and abrupt ending do kind of suck though. Especially the hook for a sequel that's not coming any time soon. I just think reviews slammed the game a little harder than they might have due to lovely business decisions. There certainly are other things worth complaining about though.

Then there's the DLC. A Criminal Past is actually pretty good and worthy of being DLC since it's an entirely different setting, a stand alone story. The others less so. The Pritchard one is alright I guess, but the one where you sneak into the security company is incredibly short. It's kind of telling that you don't get the option to just play them as sidequests in the regular game.

Criminal Past is great especially since it takes away augs after getting used to them for so long playing the rest of MD.

I wish they would have made more of an effort of forcing a player to play without augs for it, as doing a no-aug playthrough is something any DX fan should attempt.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The first """free DLC""" soured me so much on MD and MD DLCs that I never tried the rest. It was so blatantly obvious that it was just part of the original game that got ripped out for the sake of DLC. But what kind of entitled gamer wants to play an RPG in order with continuous progression when you can just play a chapter out of order piecemeal with different augs and equipment for no reason anyways. After that I figured I'd just wait for a game of the year version with everything in order and maybe wait till the rest of the story the sequel was closer to being release. Jokes on me again I guess huh? gently caress you Square.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Criminal Past feels like a real DLC since it doesn't feel like something that was ripped out of the original game.

Actually, Criminal Past should have been the original intro the game since it didn't have augs really, unlike the actual intro where they let you have a bunch of augs and then rip them out after 5 minutes.

Real talk though: Criminal Past was an implanted memory, correct? We'll never know where they were going with this story, but it totally seems like the Adam Jensen in MD was a clone being prepped to kill someone and Criminal Past was an implanted memory to see whether or not he would justify killing the dude at the end? Plus, the whole quest that stays in your god drat log until the end about your implants not having Sarif's serial numbers on them or something.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

chaosapiant posted:

Deus Ex might not belong, as a name, to that dude who left Eidos, but the aesthetics, many of the characters, much of the writing and world design absolutely do. I think Deus Ex HR is just about as good as the original game and was a fantastic comeback. It's just as much of a reboot as it is a prequel. If I worked on it for years and years and invested tons of my time into making one of my favorite franchises make a return, I'd consider it my baby also. That doesn't have to take away with anything Warren Spector/Ion Storm accomplished with the original games.

I certainly cant dispute that DXHR and DXMD might well have been labour's of love for ex-Eidos man, and the aesthetics and characters of those particular games are results of his singular vision.

I cant dispute that mechanically DXHR and DXMD are on par with Deus Ex.

But I disagree. I think his vision of Deus Ex, his aesthetic and characterization and dialogue and storyline and settings miss the mark to such an extent, and the speculative engagement with contemporary issues of political economy and conspiracy theory is so shallow, that for him to assert that Deus Ex as a whole is 'his' baby, diminishes the IP as a whole. I'm happy to concede that that might be over-dramatic, but DX is one of my favourite games of all time so I suppose I'm rather precious of it.

Its very hard for me to articulate, and something very subjective to me, but Deus Ex is the most immersed i've ever been in a video-game. It was so because it was altogether more than the sum of its parts; the revolutionary non-linearity of the game was incredible but it was only incredible, for me, because it was placed in the context of this compelling world, taken away from that, as it was in DXHR, it doesnt have the same effect. Again this is utterly subjective, but I couldnt get immersed in the world of DXHR/MD because it seemed like it had the world of DX but awkwardly translated by a studio of French Canadian's who didnt seem to care too much about DX's original aesthetic or world, but more interested in using a well-regarded IP to push their own cyberpunk vision and create some fancy graphic design to pad out their portfolios with.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Simiain posted:

I think his vision of Deus Ex, his aesthetic and characterization and dialogue and storyline and settings miss the mark to such an extent, and the speculative engagement with contemporary issues of political economy and conspiracy theory is so shallow, that for him to assert that Deus Ex as a whole is 'his' baby, diminishes the IP as a whole. I'm happy to concede that that might be over-dramatic, but DX is one of my favourite games of all time so I suppose I'm rather precious of it.

Its very hard for me to articulate, and something very subjective to me, but Deus Ex is the most immersed i've ever been in a video-game. It was so because it was altogether more than the sum of its parts; the revolutionary non-linearity of the game was incredible but it was only incredible, for me, because it was placed in the context of this compelling world, taken away from that, as it was in DXHR, it doesnt have the same effect. Again this is utterly subjective, but I couldnt get immersed in the world of DXHR/MD because it seemed like it had the world of DX but awkwardly translated by a studio of French Canadian's who didnt seem to care too much about DX's original aesthetic or world, but more interested in using a well-regarded IP to push their own cyberpunk vision and create some fancy graphic design to pad out their portfolios with.

I think the same argument could be made for Half-Life and its sequel. The first had a tight (if simple) narrative of aliens being unleashed into the world and the Freeman's journey to kill the mind-enslaving nihilist.

The sequel, while definitely still Half-Life, introduces another faction that succeeds in taking over anyways and Gordon just wanders aimlessly around the European countryside before waddling into the enemy's super base and killing a subservient human to the new faction.

Sequels are hard maaaan.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Simiain posted:

I certainly cant dispute that DXHR and DXMD might well have been labour's of love for ex-Eidos man, and the aesthetics and characters of those particular games are results of his singular vision.

But I disagree. I think his vision of Deus Ex, his aesthetic and characterization and dialogue and storyline and settings miss the mark to such an extent, and the speculative engagement with contemporary issues of political economy and conspiracy theory is so shallow, that for him to assert that Deus Ex as a whole is 'his' baby, diminishes the IP as a whole. I'm happy to concede that that might be over-dramatic, but DX is one of my favourite games of all time so I suppose I'm rather precious of it.

This matches my sentiments very closely

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sebmojo posted:

An ssd is compulsory for MD btw, you spend a lot of time on loading screens.

Read this as ssri at first and was like, drat

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I can't imagine playing any game without a SSD now. Especially the PC version. Like why bother having a PC without a SSD.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tetrabor posted:

I think the same argument could be made for Half-Life and its sequel. The first had a tight (if simple) narrative of aliens being unleashed into the world and the Freeman's journey to kill the mind-enslaving nihilist.

The sequel, while definitely still Half-Life, introduces another faction that succeeds in taking over anyways and Gordon just wanders aimlessly around the European countryside before waddling into the enemy's super base and killing a subservient human to the new faction.

Sequels are hard maaaan.

You think sequels are hard, wait till Valve gets to the third game in a series!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Simiain posted:

:emptyquote:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't disagree with anything Simiaian said, except that I am a little more willing to give DXHR/MD a pass. DX's writing is good to the point that few if any games touch that bar, and asking for any given game to duplicate that is a nigh-impossible task. Bottling lightning, and all. Comparing any game's writing/worldbuilding to that is just asking for disappointment.

I take a somewhat more optimistic approach. Yes, MD/HR could have had better writing and worldbuilding, but then I remember DXIW and how abysmal it was in that regard, not to mention how badly it failed at the basic gameplay aspects (I call them basic, but building a good, fun, immersive sim is not a small task either). DXIW was the same team that brought us DX, which suggests that even if you bring all of the best and brightest people together, getting a result like DX is not a guarantee.

In that regard, I think MD and HR are both solid, worthwhile successors to the franchise. They could be better, but I'm not ashamed that they exist, when I introduce people to the DX games I don't pretend they never came out or recommend that people skip them. MD especially has problems, but they're both very solid games, and in any other series would be highlights.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Simiain posted:

I enjoyed HR and MD quite a lot but I also very much agree with this. There's a huge gap between them and DX in gameplay, themes, and aesthetics. Whenever HR or MD namedrop a character from the original it kinda takes me out of it because my reaction is "oh yeah, this is supposed to be a Deus Ex game isn't it?"

Also kind of a subjective thing, but for me the biggest difference is that with DX I keep finding new things to appreciate the more I think about the game whereas with HR/MD the more I think about them the more things I find that I'm not a fan of.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deus ex had comically bad writing, it was just bad in a particularly fascinating way that games hadn't been before and haven't often been since.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Look Sir Droids posted:

I can't imagine playing any game without a SSD now. Especially the PC version. Like why bother having a PC without a SSD.

Same for PS4 as well, I never touched Bloodborne until I got an SSD. The difference is stark. Might be something like 7 seconds to load into an area compared to something like 12-20 seconds with the standard hard drive.

Speaking of which, I wonder where I put that old PS4 hard drive. Could probably use it as PC storage.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

sebmojo posted:

Deus ex had comically bad writing, it was just bad in a particularly fascinating way that games hadn't been before and haven't often been since.
/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sebmojo posted:

Deus Ex was written by adults, for adults. Not "mature audiences" - adults.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xander77 posted:

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

aniviron posted:

I don't disagree with anything Simiaian said, except that I am a little more willing to give DXHR/MD a pass. DX's writing is good to the point that few if any games touch that bar, and asking for any given game to duplicate that is a nigh-impossible task. Bottling lightning, and all. Comparing any game's writing/worldbuilding to that is just asking for disappointment.

I take a somewhat more optimistic approach. Yes, MD/HR could have had better writing and worldbuilding, but then I remember DXIW and how abysmal it was in that regard, not to mention how badly it failed at the basic gameplay aspects (I call them basic, but building a good, fun, immersive sim is not a small task either). DXIW was the same team that brought us DX, which suggests that even if you bring all of the best and brightest people together, getting a result like DX is not a guarantee.

In that regard, I think MD and HR are both solid, worthwhile successors to the franchise. They could be better, but I'm not ashamed that they exist, when I introduce people to the DX games I don't pretend they never came out or recommend that people skip them. MD especially has problems, but they're both very solid games, and in any other series would be highlights.

Thats true as well. As I just replayed MD, it is very unique and by far not terrible bad. There basically is Deus Ex and whatever Arkane is doing and thats about it in terms of FPS that go beyond pew pew and have some sort of production quality. Deus Ex was a love child from the 90s, the last time where something this big was still possible without compromising too much on own ideas, because tech was far from the uncanny valley and the suspension of disbelief had a much much lower point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xander77 posted:

My vision is augmented.

A BOMB!

Heh heh.

Well since that makes you my new boss, take a long look at Manderley's dead body. Consider that my resignation; I don't have time to write a letter.

When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror.

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

I never had time to take the Oath of Service to the Coalition. How about this one? I swear not to rest until UNATCO is free of you and the other crooked bureaucrats who have perverted its mission.

Call me nostalgic, but the nightlife seems to have lost its old charm.

Some gang-banger, maybe you should think about going back to school.

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

Human beings may not be perfect, but a computer program with language synthesis is hardly the answer to the world's problems.

Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts.

What good's an honest soldier if he can be ordered to behave like a terrorist?

You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

What a shame. [said after NPC Gilbert Renton dies. JC says this even if he caused Renton's death]

A forgotten virtue like honesty is worth at least twenty credits

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

sebmojo posted:

My vision is augmented.

A BOMB!

Heh heh.

Well since that makes you my new boss, take a long look at Manderley's dead body. Consider that my resignation; I don't have time to write a letter.

When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror.

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

I never had time to take the Oath of Service to the Coalition. How about this one? I swear not to rest until UNATCO is free of you and the other crooked bureaucrats who have perverted its mission.

Some gang-banger, maybe you should think about going back to school.

Bravery is not a function of firepower.

Human beings may not be perfect, but a computer program with language synthesis is hardly the answer to the world's problems.

Every war is the result of a difference of opinion. Maybe the biggest questions can only be answered by the greatest of conflicts.

What good's an honest soldier if he can be ordered to behave like a terrorist?

You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

What a shame. [said after NPC Gilbert Renton dies. JC says this even if he caused Renton's death]

A forgotten virtue like honesty is worth at least twenty credits

Every one of these deserves an Oscar, just like Escape from New York did.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The Adam Jensen dx games don't really register as being in the same universe as the original game for me. I enjoy them both for different reasons, and I couldn't be less interested in the few minor links between them. It's like dark souls 1 and 2 for me: only a small amount of overlap/direct connections, different themes/focus, both good in their own way.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

rewatching the originals post mortem makes it sound like a miracle DX ever saw the day of light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I don't remember this one. Where does it come up?

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
No one will ever worship a software entity peering at them through a camera.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_White_Crane posted:

I don't remember this one. Where does it come up?

I got them from wikiquote, I had a look but it doesn't seem to come up in the other quotes so not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Tanks fer gettin' me in!