Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
WhY dOn'T yOu LiKe MaYoR pEtE????

https://twitter.com/kreighbaum/status/1116521873729302528

https://twitter.com/dwdavison/status/1118245771491651591

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I wish they'd asked the same question in reverse (whether women are better suited emotionally to serve as president) bc there's a non-insignificant percentage of second-wave feminists who've said stuff like "a woman's presidency would be more nurturing and less likely to go to war."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think what you're tiptoeing around is that some people are essentially credulous rube morons with zero social acuity or understanding of how societies function.

Kiiinda, but I think that it's actually pretty impossible for people to fully "isolate" how they evaluate people from their life experiences. I'm sure that I view people more positively or negatively for subjective reasons stemming from my own experiences, for example (a good example is that I have more of a visceral negative reaction to the sort of perspective embodied by someone like Buttigieg than I do to the sort of perspective embodied by fundamentalist conservative, even though the latter is objectively worse).

But I guess there can be a big difference in the extent to which this affects someone's views. I feel like people should at least be able to compose a clear argument for why they think the specific things a politician supports will have a better outcome, and it should mentally raise a red flag if they're having to fall back on "this guy just seems smart to me."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Willa Rogers posted:

I wish they'd asked the same question in reverse (whether women are better suited emotionally to serve as president) bc there's a non-insignificant percentage of second-wave feminists who've said stuff like "a woman's presidency would be more nurturing and less likely to go to war."

Tbh, as a white male, I'd put myself in the category that a woman is emotionally more suited than a man for the Presidency.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1118230599599308807

Would love to see every other candidate's view on the vital topic of the right to 420 blaze it erryday.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wait, I'm OK with felons voting but is Bernie supporting them being allowed to vote while in prison too?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

But I guess there can be a big difference in the extent to which this affects someone's views. I feel like people should at least be able to compose a clear argument for why they think the specific things a politician supports will have a better outcome, and it should mentally raise a red flag if they're having to fall back on "this guy just seems smart to me."

Yeah that's a pretty reasonable heuristic I think

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait, I'm OK with felons voting but is Bernie supporting them being allowed to vote while in prison too?

Yup, he sure is. It's not uncommon in western democracies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

yes, because they're still citizens

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Tbh, as a white male, I'd put myself in the category that a woman is emotionally more suited than a man for the Presidency.

I think it depends on the candidate.

I hold no illusions that H. Clinton would have been a peacemaker president given her stint as SoS and her foreign-policy platforms. And then there's that icky tendency of female Dems feeling they have to prove their presidential bona-fides by taking on "strong" and "tough" positions.

In any case, since that poll set out to prove a bias against female candidates, it's not surprising that it found one.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Also Vermont and Maine already allow this. Edit: Inmates voting that is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah. His stance is if you're a citizen you get to vote, period.

It's a good position because the disenfranchisement of prisoners is part and parcel with their systematized enslavement. In much of this country, the disenfranchisement of prisoners goes hand in hand with the systematic oppression of minorities. It's the only legal way to make *sure* they can't vote.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

No not George Takei!

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1117918931203784707

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I think it depends on the candidate.

I hold no illusions that H. Clinton would have been a peacemaker president given her stint as SoS and her foreign-policy platforms. And then there's that icky tendency of female Dems feeling they have to prove their presidential bona-fides by taking on "strong" and "tough" positions.

In any case, since that poll set out to prove a bias against female candidates, it's not surprising that it found one.

Oh definitely, I'm just speaking in general

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

why would that be bad?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Buttigieg is a nonentity. Biden commands the field but he’s Lord Cornwallis.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Anyone within plausible striking distance of the Presidency is by definition a strange and unusual individual whose idiosyncrasies are going to matter a lot more than their gender.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sanders must vow to prosecute companies and businesses who discriminate against Cannabis.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

why would that be bad?

Right. My lizard brain programmed Good American reflexes wanted to hate the idea but to hear him explain it in the town hall, it's loving bullshit that we strip voting rights from ANY citizen and IMO, giving it to high schoolers should get more attention too. Really, a guy in jail for 2 years on a DUI lost all rights to due representation, but the guy worth billions down on Wall Street who commits ten crimes before breakfast can not only vote, but dump millions into elections around the country to essentially buy the votes of others to boot? gently caress that.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

The sheer amount of gay communities on social media rallying around him, and being outwardly hostile towards any criticism of Buttigieg, has alarmed me. The LGBT community needs to be better than this, imo.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Giving felons the right to vote, but only once they get out of jail, will (further) incentivize reactionaries to keep them in jail longer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VH4Ever posted:

Right. My lizard brain programmed Good American reflexes wanted to hate the idea but to hear him explain it in the town hall, it's loving bullshit that we strip voting rights from ANY citizen and IMO, giving it to high schoolers should get more attention too. Really, a guy in jail for 2 years on a DUI lost all rights to due representation, but the guy worth billions down on Wall Street who commits ten crimes before breakfast can not only vote, but dump millions into elections around the country to essentially buy the votes of others to boot? gently caress that.

It's funny how Bernie has this talent for taking positions like that -- first he triggers the lizard brain defense, then you think for three seconds and oh, yeah, actually, he's right

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The sheer amount of gay communities on social media rallying around him, and being outwardly hostile towards any criticism of Buttigieg, has alarmed me. The LGBT community needs to be better than this, imo.

most groups that are are run by gay men and I can tell you from personal experience we're, on the whole, fuckin garbo

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The hope of putting up a tough guy against a draft dodger who is beloved by the majority of served and serving is a funny strategy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

A lot of the complaints against Buttgieg tend to have homophobic undertones to them. You can see a lot of it on these forums, even. He's not a great candidate for a lot of reasons but it's not a great look.

e: there's also been a weird thing i've noticed lately where being a gay dude is suddenly being equated to being a straight male, even though you can still get murdered in a lot of the wrong areas without much backlash.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

The hope of putting up a tough guy against a draft dodger who is beloved by the majority of served and serving is a funny strategy.

trump's whole thing is that he's too smart to make bad deals, and veterans are uniquely positioned to understand that this necessitates draft dodging

Grapplejack posted:

A lot of the complaints against Buttgieg tend to have homophobic undertones to them. You can see a lot of it on these forums, even. He's not a great candidate for a lot of reasons but it's not a great look.

honestly, I agree. people are really viscerally hostile to him in a not-even-having-fun way, when he's pretty much just or bad as any other candidate who isn't named Bernie or Liz.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 16, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Civilized Fishbot posted:

honestly, I agree. people are really viscerally hostile to him in a not-even-having-fun way, when he's pretty much just or bad as any other candidate who isn't named Bernie or Liz.

I think it's because he's the obvious, unapologetic Not-Bernie centrist candidate, and unlike most of the other Not-Bernies (Booker, Harris, Beto) he's obviously competent and not a goofball, so his bad positions can't be explained by ignorance and that leaves malice.

I'd still prefer him to Biden. At least Buttigieg realizes the importance of left-wing domestic policy in a way that the Kamalas and Bidens and Gillibrands don't seem to.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/1118259336806006787

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Grapplejack posted:

e: there's also been a weird thing i've noticed lately where being a gay dude is suddenly being equated to being a straight male, even though you can still get murdered in a lot of the wrong areas without much backlash.

I am gay and I find the way the MSM and mainstream Dem Twitter is shoving him in my face as "THE HISTORIC GAY CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT!!!" more than a little gross. THAT is identity politics, folks. Not advocating that certain groups deserve rights.

Be the best candidate because you're the one who wants the best for the citizenry and the world, not because you check a demographic box.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Funny in a John Kerry "reporting for duty" way, sure

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mayor pete is further right than several candidates that aren't warren or sanders. his stance on israel's massacre of protestors and medics alone is disqualifying.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

why would that be bad?

Prison should be reserved for people we've decided are no longer fit to be apart of our society. Assuming prisons are being used correctly, you wouldn't want the people within having an input in the society they do not get to be apart of.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VH4Ever posted:

I am gay and I find the way the MSM and mainstream Dem Twitter is shoving him in my face as "THE HISTORIC GAY CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT!!!" more than a little gross. THAT is identity politics, folks. Not advocating that certain groups deserve rights.

Be the best candidate because you're the one who wants the best for the citizenry and the world, not because you check a demographic box.

yea I'm gonna need some proof of 'homophobic undertones' and poo poo, especially on this forum. As a gay guy I find it much more disgusting that he's literally being pushed as 'he's gay...but not TOO gay so don't worry'. I don't give a poo poo that he's gay, he's a loving ghoul, the idea I should put that aside because he also likes to gently caress dudes is pretty rich.

Also let's be completely honest, he's a deeply wealthy and insulated guy, I'm sure he didn't have a fun time in the closet or whatever but no I don't believe someone of his background has much of a connection to the actual LGBT struggle.

Here's a good breakdown on that, actually.

https://theoutline.com/post/7288/why-pete-buttigieg-is-bad-for-gays?zd=1&zi=gng7ummo

quote:

He went on to say that “Like most people,” he hopes to get married and raise a family, and he imagines his own future children wondering what the big deal was about a politician coming out.

Meanwhile, last year may have been one of the deadliest ever for trans women. The struggles of trans people, queer people of color, LGBTQ people who are rural, LGBTQ people who are poor, belie this neat onward-and-upward narrative, which is a story about a very particular kind of scrubbed, upwardly mobile, largely white, well-dressed, unutterably corny gay. The kind of gay who “wins the internet” by playing piano at a pops concert with Ben Folds. A business consultant, a military man, a practicing Christian, a husband — just like you, only more so.

In a recent interview with NBC’s Chuck Todd, Mayor Pete avowed himself a capitalist but called himself a “democratic capitalist.” The moderating and equalizing force of democracy, he said, must hold in check the tendencies of capitalism toward inequality, concentration, and corruption. But it is hard to escape the way that American capitalism and American democracy have worked in tandem both to dissipate and to assimilate the radical democratic energies of queer liberation by giving a very circumscribed sort of gay a conditional membership to the club.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

Prison should be reserved for people we've decided are no longer fit to be apart of our society. Assuming prisons are being used correctly, you wouldn't want the people within having an input in the society they do not get to be apart of.

they're citizens my dude

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

even if that were the case that isnt how prisons actually are used so...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sexpig by night posted:

they're citizens my dude

...who by definition have forfeited the rights and privileges of being a citizen which is why we put them in prison in the first place.

fool_of_sound posted:

even if that were the case that isnt how prisons actually are used so...

Right, but I assume that the massive undertaking (the selling?) of restoring voting rights to prisoners would be on the same level as reforming prisons so you'd do the two at the same time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HootTheOwl posted:

...who by definition have forfeited the rights and privileges of being a citizen which is why we put them in prison in the first place.

Right, but I assume that the massive undertaking (the selling?) of restoring voting rights to prisoners would be on the same level as reforming prisons so you'd do the two at the same time.

since when is 'forfeiting the rights of being a citizen' part of jailing

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think sending absentee ballots to prisons is as logistically or politically challenging as reforming the american justice and penal systems so that only the truly degenerate are imprisoned.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Indiana loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

As a gay dude, there are two kinds of gay dudes/ladies.

There's the kind that says "wow I've been oppressed and discriminated against my entire life for something beyond my control, and I've learned that it's unjust when anyone is oppressed, and systems of oppression must and shall be dismantled!"

Then there's the kind that says "wow I've been oppressed and discriminated against my entire life for something beyond my control, and I've learned that it's unjust that I personally have been shut out from the privilege to which I was always told I was entitled as a (pick one or more) ☑affluent ☑cis ☑white ☑male, and systems of oppression must and shall be reconfigured to put me on top where I belong!"

The latter is the kind that sends stormtroopers out to smash up a homeless encampment because it's impinging on their property values/car-window commuting view. Unsurprisingly the more check-boxes that apply, the greater percentage of that demographic that are shitheads. Poor black lesbian transwomen, pretty good. Rich white gay men, pretty poo poo.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 16, 2019