Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Lycus posted:

The episode's viewership was record-breaking, and GoT terms dominated Twitter trending Sunday night. Surely signs of waning interest.

People on the internet made fun of it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

sethsez posted:

No because he's never going to finish the books.

Dude's 70. He is going to croak, and line 1 of his will is going to be "burn all my unfinished manuscripts". He knows whatever he writes isn't going to live up to the hype, so gently caress it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Xae posted:

The dragons died out about 100 years before the show.

Ah, fair enough then. Yeah being able to cut the dragons out would probably be a big deal then.

Opferwurst posted:

In any case, they are making mad money with this show and have been begging the show runners to do another season, but everyone associated with the actual production of this tire fire wants it to just be over cause they are burned out

Hell I don't blame them, imagine spending eight years of your life on a single artistic endeavor. I'd want to move on to something else too. And if there really is will in HBO to get a spin-off rolling, I'm sure they can find new production staff willing to get their name attached to such a massively popular franchise.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

fishing with the fam posted:

Dude's 70. He is going to croak, and line 1 of his will is going to be "burn all my unfinished manuscripts". He knows whatever he writes isn't going to live up to the hype, so gently caress it.

People shat on the fourth and fifth books all the time before the show started anyway. He should just relax with his millions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

Are you kidding me? The show characters are a lovely fanfic of an even shittier fanfic someone wrote about the show. You really think Cercei will end up sitting on the Iron throne? Or that the Others will turn out to be generic evil comic book ice elves #259 with no motivation? Or that Littlefinger will be dicking around in Wintefell for a year, do nothing and then be killed by Arya in the dumbest possible scene? That Danny or Jon will turn out to be the Arthurian heroes of the story? None of the characters even had any kind of real, sensible character development since the show left the books behind. It's all just a garbled mess

Yes to Cersei. No to the Others. Probably something like it for Littlefingers but it'll be like Sansa and Harry the Heir or Sansa and Robin figuring him out instead of Sansa and Arya. I'm not sure Dany and Jon are going that way in the show even. Whatever happens to the core cast (Starks, Lannisters & Dany) will broadly be how the books would end if the books ever got written.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sethsez posted:

No because he's never going to finish the books.

I know the books are dead. Doesn't an unfinished story still have a future tense though? How does imagination work?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This show makes HBO so much money they greenlit that stupid loving "Confederate" project just to keep D&D happy.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Dude has his own private theater, he's living his best life.

Also :laffo: at how much of a wet fart the direwolves ended up being. If they'd have the full storyline from the start these puppies would have been cut off for sure.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Opferwurst posted:

I know the books are dead. Doesn't an unfinished story still have a future tense though? How does imagination work?

Absolutely no one's stopping you from writing your fanfic. Go for it.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lycus posted:

Absolutely no one's stopping you from writing your fanfic. Go for it.

Gurm doesn't like it tho.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sethsez posted:

People on the internet doesn't make fun of things that isn't popular.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Rarity posted:

Like seriously, there's been one episode and this thread is already 33 pages long

But the thread for a single episode used to go hundreds of pages, surely something has cha... ohhhh.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

precision posted:

Uh haven't they already started casting the prequel series

Naomi Watts is the Sean Bean.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Konstantin posted:

This first time she is introduced they mention that she likes to take baths in near boiling water, so I assume she was born that way.

Show Dany being fireproof is boring and robbed us of her burning the poo poo out of her body the first time she rides Drogon.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I do hope Bronn just takes the gold and joins Tyrion and Jaime. It would fit with his practical nature (especially considering there'd be nothing left for him in zombie world) and also Cersei's nature of constantly making bad decisions, and would make for fun camaraderie. Best option all around

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yes to Cersei. No to the Others. Probably something like it for Littlefingers but it'll be like Sansa and Harry the Heir or Sansa and Robin figuring him out instead of Sansa and Arya. I'm not sure Dany and Jon are going that way in the show even. Whatever happens to the core cast (Starks, Lannisters & Dany) will broadly be how the books would end if the books ever got written.

How does Zerzey end up on the Iron throne? How does that make any kind of sense in the context of the story?

Even if you were right and everyone ends up exactly the same way as on the show(which I don't think is even remotely possible with how much they changed) you are still left with no story of how they got there. That's a huge part of the closure people want. Like, what happens to Arya in Bravos? It's sure as hell not a comic book fight with Terminator: The Wife and then Jaqen H'Gar smirks into the camera and says finally, a girl is no one. Roll credits :wtc:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

esperterra posted:

Show Dany being fireproof is boring and robbed us of her burning the poo poo out of her body the first time she rides Drogon.

That's not what happened in the book. She just went bald again like in the first book and got some boo-boos on her hands.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crow Jane posted:

I think it may have also have had to do with them being penned in. Like how Viserion and Rhaegal are both smaller than Drogon on the show.

Yeah, the dragons increasingly got smaller as Targs started locking them in the dragon pit more often.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Its Coke posted:

I do hope Bronn just takes the gold and joins Tyrion and Jaime. It would fit with his practical nature (especially considering there'd be nothing left for him in zombie world) and also Cersei's nature of constantly making bad decisions, and would make for fun camaraderie. Best option all around

The true Bronn move would be take the gold and just gently caress off to Essos.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

General Dog posted:

It's this. He should have one scene in the remaining show, and its him on a boat to Braavos giving King's Landing the finger.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

That's not what happened in the book.

iirc her thighs and hand get all burned and blistered up + her hair gets burned off again as well.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

esperterra posted:

iirc her thighs and hand get all burned and blistered up + her hair gets burned off again as well.

That's not a big deal, normal people get roasted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

We'll never get closure on tons and tons of other interesting stuff. Martin ain't finishing the books and, if he did, he's not capable of wrapping all this other cool poo poo up within 2 books anyway. A lot of the minor book stuff will get swept under the rug and the main characters/plot will converge in basically the same way as the show.

But not all of those things really need closure. People are people, "what is the blackfish up to?" May be a fun question but its not like it has to be answered for the series to make sense.

Other plot threads do need to be answered though, and those I expect GRRM would have an answer for. If he actually gets there, we'll see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sethsez posted:

Oh my god can you guys just go jerk off together and stop filling every page of this thread with this same crap over and over and over?

If you don't wanna see people talking about what parts of a show they liked and which they didn't, maybe don't read the TV/IV??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lycus posted:

The episode's viewership was record-breaking, and GoT terms dominated Twitter trending Sunday night. Surely signs of waning interest.

You could just say "show's still super popular, probably spinoffs are fine" without being a dick about it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

General Dog posted:

I mean hell, that Bronn was still hanging around KL at all was pretty dumb. He's been hosed around by the Lannisters several times now by his own admission, Jamie is gone and to say Cersei is unstable at this point would an understatement. That he didn't gather up all the money he had and gently caress off to Essos the second he learned Jamie left town is astonishing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

That's not a big deal, normal people get roasted.

Just double checked the chapters and it's not riding him that burns her, but the flames he shoots at/around her as she approaches him to get on that burn the poo poo out of her and make her lose her hair again. She's picking at oozing blisters and raw skin later before her adventure making GBS threads in the grass.

Besides GRRM confirming years ago that Targaryens aren't fireproof and the birth of the dragons was a one time blood magic thing (where she loses her hair the first time but that's beside the point)

e: lmao even just his breath is described as being hot enough to blister the skin on her face

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

You could just say "show's still super popular, probably spinoffs are fine" without being a dick about it.

Sarcasm on Something Awful? Why I never!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Would GRRM really be that bothered by insurmountable hype for the next book? I thought he got a kick out of killing main characters, seems like he'd appreciate an anticlimactic story

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Every TVIV thread needs that one guy who regularly kramers into the thread to point out the obvious point that mental diarrhea like Adam Sandler movies make a lot of profit. They are like a thread mascot

e: also, someone please post that one Bors comic about people shockingly allowed to criticize society, despite participating in society

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Opferwurst posted:

How does Zerzey end up on the Iron throne?

It's probably gonna be real close to what was on the show, with all the kids dying and Margey blowing up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bronn's a minor character who's supposed to disappear into the background in the books and is only still around on the show because Jerome Flynn stole every scene he was in. His ending isn't important in GRRM's eyes so his sideplot is just an excuse to have a quick scene or two per episode before they bring him up to the Winterfell with the rest of the cast for the grand finale.

e: it would be very GRRM to make it obvious Cersai is a terrible ruler who makes terrible opinions but who ends up in absolute power through sheer willingness to break all of the rules of 'the game of thrones' and just murder everyone in her path.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lycus posted:

Sarcasm on Something Awful? Why I never!

Zaphod's right. Why be mean when you can be cool

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Its Coke posted:

Zaphod's right. Why be mean when you can be cool
That was the lightest of sarcasm. Being mean would be commenting about how goons are being wilting flowers today, but I won't do that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Opferwurst posted:

How does Zerzey end up on the Iron throne? How does that make any kind of sense in the context of the story?

Even if you were right and everyone ends up exactly the same way as on the show(which I don't think is even remotely possible with how much they changed) you are still left with no story of how they got there.

Which is probably why GRRM has been unable to finish anything in years and the last two books were mediocre with good bits here and there. This is where everything was meant to end up (everyone involved has already said they knew how the story was going to end and the basic path to get there) but HBO were willing to just hit each plot point however they could, while GRRM is incapable of leaving anything behind or wrapping anything up so we just get two books of aimless wandering followed by nothing.

Cersei was always going to sit on the Iron Throne, Dany and Jon were always going to end up together, the only difference is that HBO has a schedule and a shitload of contracts to honor while GRRM has the world's most patient publisher, so GRRM can take all the time in the world to try and write himself out of all the various corners he's in while HBO has to just blow up some plotlines and move poo poo along because Bran's actor isn't getting any younger.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god can you guys just go jerk off together and stop filling every page of this thread with this same crap over and over and over?

If you don't wanna see people talking about what parts of a show they liked and which they didn't, maybe don't read the TV/IV??

I made fun of a guy who said interest in Game of Thrones is waning. Calm down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's worth mentioning that (even without him clearly being unhappy with some of the changes and wanting to do things differently in the books when he (doesn't) finish them) GRRM is not the kind of writer who has an outline or a fixed ending and keeps it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if the time between now and him giving D&D the cliffnotes for how the story ends he's changed a shitton more. He's one of those writers who just 'sees where the characters take him' so he's constantly changing and rewriting poo poo based on how his latest POV chapter turned out.

I bet the very, very broad strokes will be p similar to his original outline/whatever he gave D&D, but how we get there and who is involved in the end is probably going to be v different.

Probably would be very different. The mountain who does not writeeeeeee

e: like even if D&D hadn't veered so far from the books and changed so much, poo poo would prob still end up being very different just due to the show finishing faster than GRRM can sit down and write at his loving DOS box he refuses to upgrade

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Breaking Bad Season 5B was a ratings bonanza and the height of the shows popularity. Better Call Saul gets less than a fifth of the viewers IIRC. The GoT spinoffs are not gonna be a wild success.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you think that Outline-Jaime transformed into Book-Cersei during the writing process, then Cersei being on the throne was absolutely the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I miss Walder Frey the most. That guy was the best.