Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sanguinia posted:

Disney would never allow Infowars Chud Psycho Jake Lloyd anywhere near Star Wars again. Which is a very good thing.

Jesus gently caress you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfB9IQ_nVqV4hYoJ5XqT-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Making Solo instead of an Obi-Wan movie was a pretty big blunder.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They were both suppose to happen but Solo not doing well in theaters caused Obi-Wan to be canceled.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

They were both suppose to happen but Solo not doing well in theaters caused Obi-Wan to be canceled.

Then they made Solo instead of Obi-Wan, like I said.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

They'll bring back Obi-wan and the rest of their cinematic universe plans, I don't have a single doubt in my mind. They're just waiting for the right window.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
theyre waiting for ewan to look older but not old so we can have more dumb adventures on stupid desert planet that no one gives a poo poo about

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am interested in seeing a movie about Obi-Wan and his training and exile on Jakku after Revenge of the Sith.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I really hope they dust off the Obi Wan plans again. It's weird that I feel this way though, because what can they even do with him that would be interesting?
And yet, I was always more interested in this than in a Han Solo movie. Maybe because Han somehow felt more complete....but they should never have gone with an origin story. :argh:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ammanas posted:

theyre waiting for ewan to look older but not old so we can have more dumb adventures on stupid desert planet that no one gives a poo poo about

Hey, they would probably visit Tree Planet, too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Darth TNT posted:

I really hope they dust off the Obi Wan plans again. It's weird that I feel this way though, because what can they even do with him that would be interesting?
And yet, I was always more interested in this than in a Han Solo movie. Maybe because Han somehow felt more complete....but they should never have gone with an origin story. :argh:

Obi-wan's character was by it's design intended to evoke mystery and make the audience want to know more about who he was, where he came from and what his life was like before he ended up a hermit in the desert. Han's character in one of the moment, where he came from is never really relevant to anything about who he is or what he does. For Obi-wan that past is everything, but Han didn't need it.

(For the record, I loved Solo. I never cared about it as THE ORIGIN OF HAN SOLO but I was always interested in it because Han is a cool character and I wanted to see him on an adventure. It ended up a fun movie. None of it's ham-fisted 'this is where it came from!' moments or gratuitous fan handjobs interrupted my enjoyment of the actually compelling if predictable Greaser x Western x Heist story, or the largely well-acted and well-written character stuff. I find it weird that they did for so many people.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Obi-wan's character was by it's design intended to evoke mystery and make the audience want to know more about who he was, where he came from and what his life was like before he ended up a hermit in the desert. Han's character in one of the moment, where he came from is never really relevant to anything about who he is or what he does. For Obi-wan that past is everything, but Han didn't need it.

(For the record, I loved Solo. I never cared about it as THE ORIGIN OF HAN SOLO but I was always interested in it because Han is a cool character and I wanted to see him on an adventure. It ended up a fun movie. None of it's ham-fisted 'this is where it came from!' moments or gratuitous fan handjobs interrupted my enjoyment of the actually compelling if predictable Greaser x Western x Heist story, or the largely well-acted and well-written character stuff. I find it weird that they did for so many people.)

That's a very clear distinction yes. This despite Obi getting a prequel trilogy to fill us further in.

I still haven't seen Solo, but what I wanted was fun space bounty hunter adventures.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's easy: have Owen and Obi-Wan team up to save Luke from a Tattooine warlrod who kidnapped a bunch of children for whatever reason (hostages to get the region to comply? sacrifices to his dark gods?). Go for a Mad Max feel.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Joke's on them I didn't watch Solo but would have watched an Obi-Wan movie if it had McGregor

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't watch the Solo movie because it looked like a biopic (which I usually find boring) of a fictional character

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Not sure if this was a joke but that's not the Jake Lloyd who starred in TPM, it's some homonymous CHUD.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

PostNouveau posted:

Both of them are supporting characters and I don't think an obi wan movie would have been dramatically better or more interesting than the han solo film. Young obi wan was basically the main character of the prequel trilogy - we've seen him do his thing already - and old obi wan is literally just an old guy who lives in a shack in the desert.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah we had an obi wan origin story already.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'd watch a movie about Obi-Wan loving around with mushrooms all alone in his hut. The climax of the movie is him learning about the concept of how truth is a point of view.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Young obi wan was basically the main character of the prequel trilogy - we've seen him do his thing already

So what? Make another one. People like Ewan McGregor in Star Wars. He was in 3 garbage Star Wars movies and people still like him as Obi-Wan. It's an easy win.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Last Jedi gets most of the hate, yet The Force Awakens started the trend with poorly written characters, non-sensical character arcs from the original trilogy and a lacking overall good story arc coming off Return of The Jedi. The prequels also got a lot of hate, but at least they told a good story. These new Disney versions of Star Wars are not even close to being good films. Except Rogue One, that was likeable. For the first time in my life I’m not excited about an upcoming Star Wars film…episode IX cannot undo the mess VII and VIII made…

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit nm.

It does suck that you aren’t digging it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

There will be two ewoks in Derisive Skywalker. Can't wait to quote this in december

edit: one of course is a weirdly well-aged wicket but he has a different hat. probably a chief now. the other will look kinda grittier than we remember ewoks being like that one wookiee in solo. no digital eye blinks

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 16, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Obi Wan gets trapped on a star freighter with two Twi'leks, one blonde and one bluenette, but he can only choose one!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just introduce a new character that is three Ewoks standing on each other's shoulders in a threchcoat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

a.lo posted:

For the first time in my life I’m not excited about an upcoming Star Wars film…episode IX cannot undo the mess VII and VIII made…

Well that’s precisely the issue: people are viewing this as like a TV series where you plow through the first six or seven bad hours to get to the part where they ‘hit their stride’ or whatever.

Eventually there’ll be a twist and it’ll all make sense, right?

Like, people upvoting TLJ are usually doing so on the basis of a fantheory that, in the next film, everyone will gain psychic powers without midichlorians. So, like, Poe Dameron’s gonna shoot lightning out of his hands. Hux is gonna shoot lightning out of his hands, etc. The force will be democratized! And if it isn’t (because it won’t be, because the fantheory is based on a very bad misreading of the film) then, well, consider that expectation subverted.

We’re in this insane situation where people are praising the films based purely on the hype they generate for the eventual Endgame that’ll make everything worth it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well that’s precisely the issue: people are viewing this as like a TV series where you plow through the first six or seven bad hours to get to the part where they ‘hit their stride’ or whatever.

Eventually there’ll be a twist and it’ll all make sense, right?

Like, people upvoting TLJ are usually doing so on the basis of a fantheory that, in the next film, everyone will gain psychic powers without midichlorians. So, like, Poe Dameron’s gonna shoot lightning out of his hands. Hux is gonna shoot lightning out of his hands, etc. The force will be democratized! And if it isn’t (because it won’t be, because the fantheory is based on a very bad misreading of the film) then, well, consider that expectation subverted.

So we’re in this insane situation where people are praising the films based purely on the hype they generate for the eventual Endgame that’ll fix all the problems.

Then it will truly be a Planet...of Star Citizens.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JJ Abrams changed the ending of episode 9 during production. It's wishful thinking, but I hope it's because he got input from Rian Johnson or Dave Filoni or even George himself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was Pepe69Cuckbuster who tweeted him how it should end.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The MSJ posted:

JJ Abrams changed the ending of episode 9 during production. It's wishful thinking, but I hope it's because he got input from Rian Johnson or Dave Filoni or even George himself.

It’s too late though; the other films are already out. The notion that they will become better retroactively is a delusion.

Like, it’s entirely possible that they could pull off a Harry Potter 3, but that still doesn’t rewrite history.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

me on the left

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sometimes I wish we got the Star Wars 7 from Whitest Kids U Know.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Regardless of my critical opinion of the sequels, I think one of the least remarked upon missed opportunities in the new trilogy (so far at least) is the utterly unimaginative set design and costuming. This thread has discussed at a few points how the alien designs have been really uninspired, but even beyond them, the human characters are all utterly bereft of visual interest. And more maddening: there isn't a single memorable set in either of the two new movies. The fact that the cavernous space where Kylo and Han meet just recycles wallpaper from the Cloud City exhaust tube is a small but illustrative example of the entire approach to these films. Take something iconic, borrow some of the assets and try to loosely re-contextualize them into something new but familiar.

One of the dumb canards about the prequels is that it was filmed entirely on green screen. The unfortunate truth is that you could've filmed the ST in front of a green screen and inserted basically *any* backdrop and the films wouldn't be any worse off for it.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 16, 2019

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Jewmanji posted:

And more maddening: there isn't a single memorable set in either of the two new movies. The fact that the cavernous space where Kylo and Han meet just recycles wallpaper from the Cloud City exhaust tube is a small but illustrative example of the entire approach to these films. Take something iconic, borrow some of the assets and try to loosely re-contextualize them into something new but familiar.

One of the dumb canards about the prequels is that it was filmed entirely on green screen. The unfortunate truth is that you could've filmed the ST in front of a green screen and inserted basically *any* backdrop and the films wouldn't be any worse off for it.

It's definitely a problem the designs for the sequels have across the board is that they're often more interested in trying to be like the Original Trilogy instead of something new and interesting. So the Star Destroyer interiors look like the original Star Destroyer interiors except slightly shinier, and the Resistance base on a forest planet in The Force Awakens looks basically identical to the Rebel base on a forest planet in A New Hope.

The main exception to this, I think, is Snoke's throne room. I love this set, and I really like how different it is from the throne room on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. It's also lit a lot better, but that's more down to how badly Jedi was lit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It kinda reminds me of Tokyo Drifter's finale now that I see it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tomtrek posted:

The main exception to this, I think, is Snoke's throne room. I love this set, and I really like how different it is from the throne room on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. It's also lit a lot better, but that's more down to how badly Jedi was lit.

The mirrored floor and total lack of texture on the curtains doesn't work at all for me. Plus, what is that.. sculpture? Behind Snoke's throne?

As characterization for Snoke, it doesn't tell us much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Snoke’s throne room is a Puff Daddy music video from the 90’s.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The mirrored floor and total lack of texture on the curtains doesn't work at all for me. Plus, what is that.. sculpture? Behind Snoke's throne?

As characterization for Snoke, it doesn't tell us much.

The red curtain and the mirrored floor always seemed to me to be to be harking back to the various iterations of Ming the Merciless' throne room that have appeared on screen over time:

Except this is a bit more minimalist. That, combined with Snoke's gold bathrobe, almost gives it a sense of opulence, like Snoke is a rich rear end in a top hat as well as being an evil mastermind.

It's stripped back from the Flash Gordon example (especially the film version) but it still gives that same feeling to me, especially when compared to the Emperor's throne room which is mainly focused on feeling cold and metallic (and is also way too busy in my opinion):

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Jewmanji posted:

the human characters are all utterly bereft of visual interest.

I Think this makes a good point. Everyone knows Han Solos clothes. The way the colors contrast and the lines flow mean that even in a pile on the floor people would go "Those are Han's clothes!". Conversely if you asked anyone what Poe has been wearing you'd get a shrug. Even the "Iconic" Kylo Ren costume actually only has the mask (Which is stolen from KotOR). the costume as a whole is bland and unmemorable. The only costume people can even pick out is Rey's, and that itself is just "Jedi clothes but now with short sleeves!". In the Lucas films even Redshirts like the Rebels on Hoth are so well designed they're burned into peoples brains. Say what you will about Lucas's directorial skills but the man knew how to pick out style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Hmm....

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1118235621460303872

quote:

“I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.”

That quote can mean so many things