Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

Nope.

UIC did a big report on it that digs into a bunch of the numbers. If you were an alderman from 1972 until now in Chicago, you had nearly a 20% chance of being convicted on corruption charges. And that's only one piece of the pie.

Lmao ILs current bond rating is BBB or lower. It's went down during Rauner's time. Sure, you can't blame the whole thing on him, but he certainly didn't do anything to try and dig out and in fact, made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TMMadman posted:

Lmao ILs current bond rating is BBB or lower. It's went down during Rauner's time. Sure, you can't blame the whole thing on him, but he certainly didn't do anything to try and dig out and in fact, made it worse.

I would argue he didn't do anything at all. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion. I think it is good, but that's just based on my general cynicism of what can be achieved in Illinois politics. We'll see what happens with JB in office. If he can stay out of prison that would be a good start.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"doing absolutely nothing to solve deep problems is actually good" is a hell of a take, but it's also just dumb and wrong because Rauner did a whole bunch of direct damage

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

"doing absolutely nothing to solve deep problems is actually good" is a hell of a take, but it's also just dumb and wrong because Rauner did a whole bunch of direct damage

He did "damage" by not increasing the states revenue through new taxes and by blocking a budget (that required taking out more loans) until the last possible second. Like yeah, if you had a bunch of people in office who were able and willing to solve Illinois' financial crisis, Rauner would have been a huge roadblock for them, but that's a pretty big loving if. There's a lot of poor people in this state, and tax increases that affect them aren't inherently good things just because they increase the states revenue. If those taxes just go towards making us whole enough to take out new, bigger loans, then the state actually gets poorer, not richer, as a result. And of course there's always the threat of sizable chunks of that tax revenue getting dumped into unreasonably lucrative public projects so that some politician can get a kickback from the contract, while the root of Illinois' debt goes unfunded. Until I'm proven wrong, I think that money is best served in the hands of the taxpayers so they are better equipped to handle their own personal damage control instead of funding the states attempts to stave off bankruptcy for one more day. But that's just my humble opinion, I'm not out canvassing for the idea. I hope I'm wrong and Illinois can get through this crisis it created, and become a functioning entity that can provide services and public projects that benefit everyone sustainably, but I kinda sorta doubt it.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 11, 2019

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

What's your position on all of the poor people who couldn't take advantage of social services during Rauner's 793-day budget impasse? Were they "better equipped to handle their own personal damage control" even though they weren't sure schools were going to open or couldn't get health care or their university shut down?

Big Black Dick fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 11, 2019

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Big Black Dick posted:

I mean, downstate seceding will never happen, but hypothetically if it passed wouldn't the federal government have some say in the matter? Just assuming the country is going to jump to 51 states because of a single state's vote seems more than a little presumptive.

The best part of this is they aren't seceding, downstate is trying to kick Chicago and crew out of Illinois. So you wanna cut out the biggest tax base in the state by far while holding on to all of the debt? Brilliant! A financial fresh start for Chicagoland? Effingham should be careful or we might get sold on the idea.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Volkerball posted:

It contributes more tax revenue than the rest of the state, but it is most definitely not paying its own bills, much less the entire states. The state has accumulated so much debt that it can barely afford to pay the interest on the loans it took out to pay off other loans. And they are super lovely loans too since the states credit is the worst in the country. It really doesn't matter who contributes what, because in the grand scheme of things, we're pooling together pennies in the face of all the debt that has been accumulated over a couple of really awful decades in Chicago machine politics. Sure it's not feasible for Illinois sans Chicago to generate any significant amount of tax revenue, but by the same token, it wouldn't be able to generate significant amounts of debt. It wouldn't have that kind of credit. If the rest of the state combined owed $18,000 the ratings agencies would probably drop the entire region to junk status and no lender would touch it. Yet here it is on the hook for a quarter trillion dollars. It's nearly an impossible sum for Chicago itself, and places like Forgottonia have no business being in the same room as just a months worth of interest on that kind of money. When it comes to that kind of scale, the rest of the state are pretty much 100% bystanders on the sideline who can have no impact one way or the other. Chicago's influence completely buries them. It would be weird for people living there not to be extremely frustrated given that the negative consequences of the states financial situation are such a fixture of life in Illinois, inside and outside of Chicago, and there's not exactly anything in the works to be optimistic about. Chicago could and should be a blessing, but as long as it remains the most corrupt city in the country, and for many years afterwards, it's going to be a curse.

It actually is. Look at what each county pays in and receives back. Chicago would be able to pay its bills if it didn't have to subsidize the rest of the state. Same can be said for Illinois and subsidizing red states.

Also Effingham Republicans conveniently forget that the mess this state is in is largely due to bills that Republican Governors signed into action. During a period when the state was actually Republican controlled. The annual 3% raise, the Edgar Ramp, and the early retirement fiasco. Three policies that had far more impact than anything any Governor in this state has done in 15 years.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Volkerball posted:

He did "damage" by not increasing the states revenue through new taxes and by blocking a budget (that required taking out more loans) until the last possible second. Like yeah, if you had a bunch of people in office who were able and willing to solve Illinois' financial crisis, Rauner would have been a huge roadblock for them, but that's a pretty big loving if. There's a lot of poor people in this state, and tax increases that affect them aren't inherently good things just because they increase the states revenue. If those taxes just go towards making us whole enough to take out new, bigger loans, then the state actually gets poorer, not richer, as a result. And of course there's always the threat of sizable chunks of that tax revenue getting dumped into unreasonably lucrative public projects so that some politician can get a kickback from the contract, while the root of Illinois' debt goes unfunded. Until I'm proven wrong, I think that money is best served in the hands of the taxpayers so they are better equipped to handle their own personal damage control instead of funding the states attempts to stave off bankruptcy for one more day. But that's just my humble opinion, I'm not out canvassing for the idea. I hope I'm wrong and Illinois can get through this crisis it created, and become a functioning entity that can provide services and public projects that benefit everyone sustainably, but I kinda sorta doubt it.

His stupidity crushed state government and numerous organizations, harming thousands for no reason

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

brugroffil posted:

wanna see the stats that put chicago as "most corrupt city by a mile"

He's basing it on arrests, which isn't right because Memphis is so corrupt nobody gets arrested.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Chicago bad, I say as a Chicagosperson.

That said, sawing Cook County off at the border aint gonna help poo poo and will in fact hurt lots.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/cps-video-student-tasing-new-footage-police/

Surprise surprise, video comes out contradicting police statements. School resource officers beat up a 16 year old girl at school in front of her dad, drag her downstairs, put their feet on her chest, punch her and tase her.

Nothing has been done about the part of the consent decree that’s says police suck at being in schools.

Is Lori Lightfoot going to do anything about this? Or will she engage in mealymouthed collaboration?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Smh how Dare Jussie do this

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Knockknees posted:

Nothing has been done about the part of the consent decree that’s says police suck at being in schools.

The timeline for that implementation is the 2019-2020 school year

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WBBM just said final results were in and Mell lost by 13 votes. Still needs to be certified.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

KDdidit posted:

WBBM just said final results were in and Mell lost by 13 votes. Still needs to be certified.

YES!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/rrhinton/status/1118283946679312385

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

KDdidit posted:

She has more than enough money to ask for a recount, just out of spite if nothing else.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 17, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Awesome!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Dakarai_Turner/status/1118332101131063296

lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Foxx is right about the overcharging, but stepping into a case where she recused herself, especially one that was so horribly managed, is not going to be good for her. I am amazed at how terrible her office handled this case.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
She used to work for Preckwinkle, she learned how to manage things horribly from the best.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing how we can't have any good politicians in this city.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Mell requested a recount:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/04/17/ald-deb-mell-asks-for-recount-in-33rd-ward-alderman-race-i-owe-it-to-my-supporters-and-staff/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Screw off Deb

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

No one should be surprised by this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
You have to call for a recount when it's that close.

It hardly ever changes the outcome though.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

She filed the paperwork for it earlier this month iirc.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dexo posted:

:ssh: the reason our credit is so lovely and we are in such debt is because our lovely former governor refused to fund the government for loving 4 years.

My psychiatrist had to become a firefighter and the place I used to go to shut down because of it! :nutshot:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Cops are real mad at Kim Foxx

https://twitter.com/cbschicago/status/1120697402048958464

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Knockknees posted:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/cps-video-student-tasing-new-footage-police/

Surprise surprise, video comes out contradicting police statements. School resource officers beat up a 16 year old girl at school in front of her dad, drag her downstairs, put their feet on her chest, punch her and tase her.

Is Lori Lightfoot going to do anything about this? Or will she engage in mealymouthed collaboration?

What does your heart tell you?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/WBEZ/status/1121012307088162817

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
weren't there literal commercials about this during the campaign

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

yes but now apparently there's an official investigation?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He wouldn't be governor without one I suppose

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh I guess it is Wednesday

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol that drat toilet mansion popping up again.

Never change Chicago politics.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Pooping* up again.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Oh I guess it is Wednesday

Good thing time does not actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Poque posted:

weren't there literal commercials about this during the campaign

Looks like the federal probe started before the election. That's the most Illinoisest poo poo I've ever heard.