Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My dog's at 76 pounds when he should be more like 72. What I don't understand is how he's keeping the weight on when he's been on a diet for the past month and change. Last time his weight was up the same diet worked fine to get him down to normal, but I slipped and started feeding him a little more and his weight went back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My dog's at 76 pounds when he should be more like 72. What I don't understand is how he's keeping the weight on when he's been on a diet for the past month and change. Last time his weight was up the same diet worked fine to get him down to normal, but I slipped and started feeding him a little more and his weight went back up.

How active Is the dog? Do you go on walks often? I assume that'd play a factor.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
We cover on average about 2.5 miles/day, though it's significantly more on weekends and less during the week. Depending on what the neighbors are up to he can also cover an awful lot of ground just patrolling the fence in the back yard. He'd definitely get more exercise if either a) he was willing to play fetch (he prefers to take the toy to a corner, lie down, and demolish it), or b) I could jog without wrecking my lower back. We used to go on regular runs.

That said, that all predated the previous diet and successful weight loss. About all I can think of is either he's snacking a lot more on grass lately (which I'd expect to see in his poop) or the last couple of times I weighed him he was retaining more water than usual. :shrug:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My vet is recommending we split up 12 week vaccines over two visits. The pup is 11 lbs and our first dog, so I don't know if this is normal or if my small town vet is trying to squeeze me for a little extra income. Any advice?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Our vet wanted to space out our new pup's vaccines a little too, and I didn't even think to ask why. It didn't worry me because this guy never took advantage of some pretty easy opportunities to pad his bill while treating our last pet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So! Apollo caught and ate a rat.

Is there anything I should be careful of? He's acting fine and has been snoozing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

StrixNebulosa posted:

So! Apollo caught and ate a rat.

Is there anything I should be careful of? He's acting fine and has been snoozing.

He’s fine.

He will probably vomit it up tonight.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Double post: I spent all last weekend dethatching and reseeding the backyard. These drat robins keep eating the grass seed. Has Jade murdered a single robin? NO! Earn your keep, girl!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dog Pavlov inhaled something yesterday, probably due to me weedwhacking the grass and weeds in my back yard's "lawn". Lots of sudden inhalation (a.k.a. reverse sneezing) whenever he gets excited or exerted. I took him to the vet; they said that if they thought he had a foxtail (barbed grass seed) in his nasal passages, they'd have to knock him out and lavage it out, but also that if that did happen his symptoms would've been much more intense -- like, sneezing blood kinds of intense. :ohdear: And he didn't have that, so they're guessing he just inhaled some minor irritant, maybe a small bit of plant matter. Lord knows there was enough of the stuff flying around yesterday. I'm just to dose him on benadryl and keep him away from grass for awhile.

Poor dog. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

He’s fine.

He will probably vomit it up tonight.

He'd better not, we just vacuumed these carpets!

Good to hear there's no reason to panic - I mean, he's a medium-large sized dog and happy and he's been bouncing around fine all evening - even inhaled dinner. So I'm not too worried.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Double post: I spent all last weekend dethatching and reseeding the backyard. These drat robins keep eating the grass seed. Has Jade murdered a single robin? NO! Earn your keep, girl!

Don't plant grass in the spring, it will just die in the heat. The time to plant is September.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
My boyfriend dropped a piece of a pepperette yesterday and Sherlock wolfed it down. Nbd, he eats stuff all the time.

Wrong. He paced all night, his tummy was gurgling so loud we could hear it on the other side of the room.

My ex-bunny owner brain kicked in and I told my boyfriend we had to go to the e-vet. He's had dogs a lot longer than I have and is a little bit calmer than me (lolol) and so we dosed him with a baby dose of simethicone (vet ok'ed this previously). After being up all night pacing around with a gurgling tummy and aggressively seeking comfort from us, he is now sleeping on a heating pad and farting away. It's been an awful night for him but at least now he has some relief.

I never thought that I would be relieved to be gassed by this dog (over a heated surface, as well).

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
My mutt has started having issues with his anal glands not emptying. Taking him to the vet to have his glands expressed stops him from obsessively licking his butt for a while but it only lasts about a month before I have to take him back.

I've switched him to higher fiber food and treats on the vet's advice but it hasn't helped and his poop was always pretty solid so I don't know if adding more fiber would do anything. Does anyone have any more ideas about what I can do besides just getting his glands expressed once a month?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

McSharpie posted:

My mutt has started having issues with his anal glands not emptying. Taking him to the vet to have his glands expressed stops him from obsessively licking his butt for a while but it only lasts about a month before I have to take him back.

I've switched him to higher fiber food and treats on the vet's advice but it hasn't helped and his poop was always pretty solid so I don't know if adding more fiber would do anything. Does anyone have any more ideas about what I can do besides just getting his glands expressed once a month?

Buy a box of rubber gloves and watch a few YouTube how-tos.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I might have asked this but anyone got any tips for resource guarding? It's food he guards. He will loving destroy any dog that gets near his food. I gave him a treat earlier today in the common area and he was licking up crumbs and the other dog came nearby and he went ape poo poo at her for a second before we yelled to break it up. I believe it comes from him not having regular access to food while being chained up separate from the other dogs.

He gets along fine with his doggy roomates outside of that but we have to feed him separate from the other dogs. And when I bring the food bowl over he turns into a velocipator standing on his hind legs.

Also my payment.

And him and his doggy gf. The lab loves to lick the poo poo out of his body and head.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 17, 2019

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Buy a box of rubber gloves and watch a few YouTube how-tos.

Ok so I asked my vet to show me how to express Sherlock's bc I have a similar issue. The vet looked at me and said "listen, I'm fast at this because I do it often but honestly how much time do you want to spend with your fingers in there bc it's going to take time to learn and it's NOT pleasant".

does anyone DIY this? Asking seriously.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

luscious posted:

Ok so I asked my vet to show me how to express Sherlock's bc I have a similar issue. The vet looked at me and said "listen, I'm fast at this because I do it often but honestly how much time do you want to spend with your fingers in there bc it's going to take time to learn and it's NOT pleasant".

does anyone DIY this? Asking seriously.

Your vet just wants the easy $50 or whatever every few weeks. Yeah, the first few times are weird and gross but you get better at it. Once you’ve done it a few times, 5 minutes tops. Your finger is barely in there, half inch or so at 8 and 4 o’clock. I’ve heard that some dogs you can even get by putting pressure on the outside but unfortunately mine isn’t one. Yeah it’s gross but it beats her butt juice on the couch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I wonder if my dog has that issue... he's constantly licking where he sits, he has an upward tail so his butthole touches everything, and he gets real butt licky sometimes

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s super easy and you shouldn’t pay anything for it. That being said, the more you do it the more reliant your pooch is going to become on you to express the glands for them. There’s also a risk of infection, but that’s pretty minor.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Is a year and three months too young to start experimenting with leaving my dog out in my room rather than in his crate while I leave the house for a bit? I left him alone for about 15 minutes last night while I went to go pick up my girlfriend and he was laying in his bed when I got home, but he was also already half asleep when I left so I don't know how well that would transfer to the middle of the day. He's definitely not fully matured yet, he's a big boy and still growing (~85 pounds right now). He was a handful in regards to chewing/accidents when I first got him in October but he's stopped chewing pretty much everything except for his bed and hasn't poo poo inside (outside of bad diarrhea) since December. I just don't want to put too much faith in him and come back to there being chunks taken out of my bedroom door.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's not but it's dog dependent. My older was free roaming at 14 months. My younger still must be crated at 2 years.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Danyull posted:

Is a year and three months too young to start experimenting with leaving my dog out in my room rather than in his crate while I leave the house for a bit? I left him alone for about 15 minutes last night while I went to go pick up my girlfriend and he was laying in his bed when I got home, but he was also already half asleep when I left so I don't know how well that would transfer to the middle of the day. He's definitely not fully matured yet, he's a big boy and still growing (~85 pounds right now). He was a handful in regards to chewing/accidents when I first got him in October but he's stopped chewing pretty much everything except for his bed and hasn't poo poo inside (outside of bad diarrhea) since December. I just don't want to put too much faith in him and come back to there being chunks taken out of my bedroom door.

Does he have a history of separation anxiety? If not I’d say it’s ok to start trying short periods out of his crate. I wouldn’t jump immediately to a full day or anything but keep trying 15 to 30 minute periods and see how he does. As long as he’s doing well keep gradually increasing the time. How long can he typically hold his bladder for? I wouldn’t try full work days yet until he’s maybe 2; larger breeds can take a little longer to fully mature.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's not but it's dog dependent. My older was free roaming at 14 months. My younger still must be crated at 2 years.

And mine's got separation anxiety so he gets the kennel whenever I leave, because otherwise he throws a massive fit.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Mine are fine when I leave.

But go loving BANANAS when I come home

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Giving the dog something to do when you leave will help too, my older dog is chill all the time now, but when she was a year old we couldn't leave her alone for more than about 45 mins without her freaking out and tearing up the blankets in her crate or whatever. But if we gave her a stuffed Kong, she'd be fine for a couple of hours, even if the kong only lasted her maybe 20 minutes. It was weird, but I think just having something to do right after we left was enough to calm her down.

That said, both of my adult dogs are chill and I still put them in crates if I'm going to be gone for much more than an hour, partially because they really like their crates, but mostly for my own peace of mind.

From my experience, genuine separation anxiety does exist in dogs, but a lot of destructive behavior that people attribute to that is mostly just that the dog is bored and looking for ways to entertain itself. Agreed that it varies a lot from dog to dog.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Does he have a history of separation anxiety? If not I’d say it’s ok to start trying short periods out of his crate. I wouldn’t jump immediately to a full day or anything but keep trying 15 to 30 minute periods and see how he does. As long as he’s doing well keep gradually increasing the time. How long can he typically hold his bladder for? I wouldn’t try full work days yet until he’s maybe 2; larger breeds can take a little longer to fully mature.

He had some big issues when I first got him but I think that was more due to not being properly crate trained by his previous owner. He'll sometimes give a few yelps when I close the door to take a shower or something but he doesn't freak the gently caress out or anything. Bladder control is mostly good; he doesn't pee inside but he also has no self control in terms of how much he drinks so he'll keep vacuuming up bowl after bowl of water and need to go outside every hour if I don't control how much he gets.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My Vizsla was destructive in his crate as a puppy/adolescent and it never worked for us. He would ruin anything in the crate and bark constantly until he was let out. There would be a wet spot in front of his crate from barking. He would chew on the metal bars. It was bad.

Once we started giving him free roam, he either slept on our bed or on the sofa while we were gone. If we know we have to leave him for a long period of time, we usually try to exercise him beforehand with a long walk or scent training. As we're about to leave, we make him place on his mat and stay until we can hide a few treats around the house. As we're closing the door. We give him a "find it" command and he goes around the house looking for treats. I like the idea of leaving on a positive note. We used to do those puzzle toys etc but he figured those out and has them down to a minute or two at most. He doesn't really focus on his kong for more than a minute or two.

When we come back though, holy poo poo he gets the zoomies but also wants to cuddle and those two can be painful.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Giving the dog something to do when you leave will help too, my older dog is chill all the time now, but when she was a year old we couldn't leave her alone for more than about 45 mins without her freaking out and tearing up the blankets in her crate or whatever. But if we gave her a stuffed Kong, she'd be fine for a couple of hours, even if the kong only lasted her maybe 20 minutes. It was weird, but I think just having something to do right after we left was enough to calm her down.

That said, both of my adult dogs are chill and I still put them in crates if I'm going to be gone for much more than an hour, partially because they really like their crates, but mostly for my own peace of mind.

From my experience, genuine separation anxiety does exist in dogs, but a lot of destructive behavior that people attribute to that is mostly just that the dog is bored and looking for ways to entertain itself. Agreed that it varies a lot from dog to dog.

So my problem is I leave for work before my roomate so my dog howls for 20 mins before he wakes up. Would this work if I have to put the dog behind a gate and let it eat at the kong. Reason being is the other dog friend will try to go for the kong and then a fight will ensue. How would I transition to not leaving him behind the gate(my roomate would be letting him out when he wakes up)anymore and just leaving?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've been trying to leave my dude out of his kennel at night more often. The two girls have been fine out at night pretty much the whole time I've had them. The hound girl likes sleeping on the couch and the little terrier sleeps in my bed.

Sometimes the dude sleeps somewhere and doesn't bother me, sometimes I have to get up and take away whatever thing he's destroying, usually garbage, recycling or something he counter surfed. He gets one freebie, then it's kennel time.

If only he would figure out that if he chills out until I fall asleep, he can eat all of the garbage and whatever else he can find.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is this the place to shame bad dog owners? Just saw this on my local Nextdoor and internally raged a bit.

quote:

$125 · Shi-Tzu/Chihuahua mixed puppy, about three months old needs a new home. I purchased him for my daughter prematurely and didn't consider the deposit due to my apartment complex as well as his shots (he hasn't had his first set). Purchased him for $100 so I would like that money back.

Dumb unprepared people buy puppies all the time, but I can't believe the audacity to try to make a profit off the bad decision.

In other news, my beagle with the liver tumor removal I posted about a couple months ago is doing amazing. You would never know anything was ever wrong except for the huge scar. Most of the fur has grown back, too. So relieved! I'm having a mid/late-dog-life crisis and going to throw him a birthday party this summer. He'll be 10. :3:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Has anyone had experience with a dog vomiting every so often? Roughly once a month or so after a meal she will hork it back up and eat it again. We are feeding from the same brand (collards turkey or collards lamb dry, with a spoonful of random tinned on top for some variation).

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

If you can't link it to something, I'd ask your vet.

Are you feeding one or two meals a day? Are you measuring her food or eyeballing it? Is she eating too fast sometimes? Is she eating right after exercise? Or running around a bunch right after eating and before horking.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

GoodBee posted:

If you can't link it to something, I'd ask your vet.

Are you feeding one or two meals a day? Are you measuring her food or eyeballing it? Is she eating too fast sometimes? Is she eating right after exercise? Or running around a bunch right after eating and before horking.

Thank you for your input, I am slightly concerned but himself is not at all, so no vet visit until both agree due to cost. I'll give them a ring in case they can offer phone advice.

**---*** answers below ***----**
We use a scoop for a rough measure ( ~120 plus a generous spoon of tinned. Also xlarge frozen Kong of tinned and dry mixed for during the day to make up the deficit. She's 18kg last weigh in, med size dog

She eats 2x day before exercise. There is limited activity at this time, the last time was simply going to bed and boom, this time settled on the dog sofa then spew.

She eats pretty quick, but not a gobbler idt. We had a struggle finding something she would consistently eat but collards is 6m in and going strong

Edit just checked the scoop, it's 60g each time! Much less than I thought. checking with the other half when he's awake about this could be underfeeding even with the tinned.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 29, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Yes, sometimes the vet's office can offer more advice over the phone. That's a good idea.

Two meals of approximately the amount sounds like it's not overfeeding.

Maybe she does just eat too fast sometimes. Maybe a slow-down bowl would help? It's much cheaper than a vet visit. Or even cheaper would be feed half the meal, wait 10 minutes, then feed the other half a meal.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Has anyone got experience with Texas heelers/Australian Cattle dogs? My girlfriend and I adopted one from a shelter a month ago at 3 months, and he is a crazy little ball of energy but clearly very bright and he loves new people and dogs. I've found a lot of info online, but not that many personal accounts beyond "these dogs will run you ragged."

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 28, 2019

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Stark Fist posted:

Has anyone got experience with Texas heelers/Australian Cattle dogs? My girlfriend and I adopted one from a shelter a month ago at 3 months, and he is a crazy little ball of energy but clearly very bright and he loves new people and dogs. I've found a lot of info online, but not that many personal accounts beyond "these dogs will run you ragged."

ACDs are the best/worst dogs. Can be dog/human reactive so make sure you're socializing him appropriately but don't be shocked if he's not a social butterfly when he reaches maturity. Very mouthy dogs and can be bitey shitlords, they also make a lot of weird noises. They're brilliant and hardworking and a more loyal dog than any of us deserve. Make sure you are training him to relax instead of just wearing him out because that becomes impossible. Once you've had one (or even a mix) you can't imagine not having one of these awful frecklemonsters. Mine is only 30% ACD but I'm planning on getting a full cattle dog when he's gone because they're just great.

Texas heelers are usually cattle dog/aussie crosses, there are also Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs which are a separate breed.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Instant Jellyfish posted:

ACDs are the best/worst dogs. Can be dog/human reactive so make sure you're socializing him appropriately but don't be shocked if he's not a social butterfly when he reaches maturity. Very mouthy dogs and can be bitey shitlords, they also make a lot of weird noises. They're brilliant and hardworking and a more loyal dog than any of us deserve. Make sure you are training him to relax instead of just wearing him out because that becomes impossible. Once you've had one (or even a mix) you can't imagine not having one of these awful frecklemonsters. Mine is only 30% ACD but I'm planning on getting a full cattle dog when he's gone because they're just great.

Texas heelers are usually cattle dog/aussie crosses, there are also Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dogs which are a separate breed.

He's a Texas heeler, and your description matches him to a T. The mouthiness and biting is a pain in the rear end but is gradually going away. Managing his energy is so important - he seems to work himself into a horrible mood if we play with him too long. The "weird noises" are abundant, especially when he needs to leave a new friend. He'll also sort of babble while playing tug.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
In terms of energy, are they better or worse than border collies?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fuckface has returned. Please stand by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am wondering if we should get another dog. My husband isn't super into the idea, but I am starting to think it would be for the best. We had to put our older dog Belle down in January when we learned she had advanced stomach cancer. Our other dog is not taking it well.

At first Ivy seemed fine without Belle, but her behavior has gotten worse. She has always been a nervous dog and pretty barky, but it has ramped up. Ivy is a lot more desperate for other dog interaction. We used to be able to take her to my kid's soccer games or the brewery or on a walk with not a lot of drama. Now if Ivy sees another dog she seriously freaks out, barking and pulling and barely listening to me or responding to stinky treats. I think without Belle around she feels both more nervous and more desperate to have a dog friend.

I signed us up for a class for dog-reactive dogs to try and help her be more chill meeting other pooches. I am sure it will help, but am wondering since we have the yard and the resources, maybe we should foster and/or adopt another dog. Thoughts?