Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gotta say my one complaint about these airpods is that I often walk slightly out of range and they cut out, which is fine and to be expected. But about 1 in 5 times they don't automatically reconnect and I have to go in the settings to reconnect them. And sometimes it even takes me like 5 tries for my XR to find them. It's really annoying.

Also the general range on them has sort of felt like diminishing returns after the first week. I was blown away by the range at first but they cut out like 10-15 feet away sometimes now when I felt like I regularly had a solid 50 feet right after buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Gotta say my one complaint about these airpods is that I often walk slightly out of range and they cut out, which is fine and to be expected. But about 1 in 5 times they don't automatically reconnect and I have to go in the settings to reconnect them. And sometimes it even takes me like 5 tries for my XR to find them. It's really annoying.

Also the general range on them has sort of felt like diminishing returns after the first week. I was blown away by the range at first but they cut out like 10-15 feet away sometimes now when I felt like I regularly had a solid 50 feet right after buying them.

Try repairing them. The range on my 1+ year old ones is still crazy good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You mean repair as in bring them in for repair, or doing some sort of factory reset?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As in pair them again. Re-pair. Have your iPhone forget them then start over.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:doh: Bluetooth pairing. Sorry it's been a long day.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Plus use the white but-tan on the hinge-case. Google airpods reset.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something Offal posted:

Plus use the white but-tan on the hinge-case. Google airpods reset.

sprayed butane on headphones, are on fire. plz help

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Is “sometimes” in different places? Different situations will have different variables for interference and stuff like that.

Hell, if I’m in the office and go to the bathroom and there are four people in that day, it’s no trouble to just let the airpods run. If eight people are in the office, I get cutout and sometimes they unpair.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MarcusSA posted:

Try repairing them. The range on my 1+ year old ones is still crazy good.

This is step 1 for pretty much any airpod issue not caused by ear size.

I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of 2nd generation but after a un-pair re-pair the battery life/device switching time/response have all improved.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a $20 pair of Philips over-ear bluetooth headphones that get like 50m range through plaster walls. Every other set of BT headphones I have doesnt get anywhere near that range and its basically ruined wireless headphones for me. They get stupid battery life too, like 30hrs or something (tho it has diminished a bit now)

I also greatly prefer my lightning connector Pioneer Rayz in terms of sound quality and active noise cancelling and mic auto-mute when on calls. but sometimes having wires in the way isnt really acceptable.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I also had a crazy good pair of early blue tooth headphones that stretched forever. My friend told me the FCC nerfed bluetooth range at some point? I dunno.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1118578927511818240

oops

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Got my airpods in the mail today.

They are definitely an extravagant purchase though it is really nice how easily they connect.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
huh, I always assumed that thing was gonna fold in the opposite direction (so it ends up looking more like a wallet in its compressed state). The "opened" form factor being a wide-rear end square looks so unnatural to me, though tbf it's basically an iPad mini.

I guess I just thought it would feel like a current phone when opened, and the folding would serve to protect the screen and take up less pocket space.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

Too bad Overcast doesn't count all my ad skipping as time saved. Oh no, another snack subscription service.

I can't stand smart speed either, only 2 hours saved lifetime. Pauses are part of the dang experience people. It's not a race to absorb the most data, Johnny Five.
I hope you’re not skipping Bill Burr ad reads.

veni veni veni posted:

Looks like you’re the guy that bought 1st gen ones recently. If you happen to be within the return period, 2nd gen is supposed to pair quicker v:shobon:v.

But yeah try manually re pairing with the case...I’ve had times where it’s still a bitch about it for whatever reason, but it usually works.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I always assumed apple would beat samsung to the $2000 phone milestone, folding or no

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

My iPhone 7 gave me the old frosty keychain last weekend and shut down due to the battery loving up in the cold .

I have noticed now I have a small crack in the glass (doesn’t impair function at all) so rather than repair I may just trade and grab a new phone .

The screen on the XS sounds fantastic but is there any compelling reason to go for that over the XR for the expense ? Will I miss 3D Touch that much?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The XR is a large phone, it feels a lot heavier and bulkier than a 7 Plus. If that is okay with you then it's the obvious one to go for.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The XR is quite chunky. If the cost difference is a big deal to you then there's nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't feel particularly sleek.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had mixed feelings about the size of the XR for a couple of weeks after getting one, but it's really grown on me. The extra screen real estate and sturdy feel of it are nice. I'd have trouble going back to a regular sized iPhone now I think.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Partycat posted:

My iPhone 7 gave me the old frosty keychain last weekend and shut down due to the battery loving up in the cold .

I have noticed now I have a small crack in the glass (doesn’t impair function at all) so rather than repair I may just trade and grab a new phone .

The screen on the XS sounds fantastic but is there any compelling reason to go for that over the XR for the expense ? Will I miss 3D Touch that much?

The 2x optical zoom is way more handy than I thought it would be and the XR is too big for my hand to be comfortable to use. The XS is just at the limit of one handed use with an apple leather case on it (Red because gently caress brown). If the 7 felt too cramped, the XS could be just right.

The screen on the XR is really nice and unless it's side by side with an XS you won't really feel like you're missing out. Side by side tho the difference is obvious - the XR looks like it's behind a sheet of glass whereas the XS it looks flush. My girlfriend has an XR and I have an XS, she can't tell the difference, I absolutely can.

3D Touch is still sorta on the XR, at least the most useful stuff is anyway (moving the cursor w/ press and drag on space bar). I find 3D Touch can be a bit intrusive when trying to do a long press on my XS/7, and would like to be able to turn off peek/pop and just have a few select things work tbh.

That's my advice from the perspective of someone who manages/deploys iPhones for a business and has spent time with both.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m really torn on what I want to do for whatever the 2019 phone is. On one hand I really like the bigger screen of the XS max, but the form factor of the X/XS is just about perfect.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

e.pilot posted:

I’m really torn on what I want to do for whatever the 2019 phone is. On one hand I really like the bigger screen of the XS max, but the form factor of the X/XS is just about perfect.

You may actually be in the target audience for the XR as long as you don’t need the second lens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I'm gonna keep my X. Gonna get a new Watch tho.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrBond posted:

You may actually be in the target audience for the XR as long as you don’t need the second lens

Nah I like the OLED screen and tiny bezel too much

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lol, apparently there are four review units out there and all four broke in some way if I’m reading this correctly. Two of them the reviewers thought a plastic film on the screen was just a screen protector so they (tried) pulling it off. The other two reviewers didn’t do that but the screen still failed in other ways. All of this within a day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Minidust posted:

huh, I always assumed that thing was gonna fold in the opposite direction (so it ends up looking more like a wallet in its compressed state). The "opened" form factor being a wide-rear end square looks so unnatural to me, though tbf it's basically an iPad mini.

I guess I just thought it would feel like a current phone when opened, and the folding would serve to protect the screen and take up less pocket space.

I think they’re still working out what the proper folding orientation should be. Samsung went with this design and put a small screen on the front of the phone once folded, and Huawei has a different design where the screen folds on the outside.

Some rando company decided to mock up this prototype

[timg]
https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/DDE3AD7E-15DF-484C-B534-CDEC78E0F15C-780x439.jpeg
[/timg]

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

The 2x optical zoom is way more handy than I thought it would be and the XR is too big for my hand to be comfortable to use. The XS is just at the limit of one handed use with an apple leather case on it (Red because gently caress brown). If the 7 felt too cramped, the XS could be just right.

Yeah, the size and 2x zoom mean I'm sticking with my X for awhile. The XR's camera outperforms the X and XS, but still...zoom. Also OLED.

I'm annoyed everyone is leap frogging past Apple with camera technology. The 10x zoom on the OPPO is a technology I had on my Sony compact camera over a decade ago (horizontally positioned lens with a mirror or prism). It's obviously not easy to translate into a smartphone chassis, but someone did and it wasn't Apple. Making a zoom by different fixed focal lengths will only get you so far.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well the XS sucks loving balls at taking pictures in low light unless poo poo is perfectly still. Took some photos of my brothers band and it couldn't deal with the motion at all.

My 7 was better.

I did some photos of cars drifting last weekend and figured it sucked as it was even worse lighting and faster motion but the camera software seems to be trying to do too much to the image and just ends up making GBS threads all over it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not defending it, but that's been a known limitation of the XS since it launched. Its ability to cope with motion is trash and it only gets worse as it gets darker. Portrait mode is even sadder as the 2x camera they put in is basically junk.

When you're in its wheelhouse the pictures look fantastic but unfortunately that wheelhouse is "still life."

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Does it get better if you use an alternative app that lets you control settings/doesn't have all the processing? Or is it forced at a very low level

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, the size and 2x zoom mean I'm sticking with my X for awhile. The XR's camera outperforms the X and XS, but still...zoom. Also OLED.

In what way? The XS, XS Max, and XR all have the exact same main sensor and software behind them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

emdash posted:

Does it get better if you use an alternative app that lets you control settings/doesn't have all the processing? Or is it forced at a very low level

I recall apps having to do some tricks to try and get raw images off the sensor, but that was months ago now. They were getting promising (but not ideal) results but I haven't kept up to date so am not sure where it is now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use the Focos app with my X and it’s awesome. Let’s you change everything after the fact.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think Halide has XS specific optimizations as well

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

In what way? The XS, XS Max, and XR all have the exact same main sensor and software behind them.

The way I heard it explained is that because the XR only has one really good lens it uses that all the time, whereas the X and XS will use the zoom lens for some situations, which isn't as good. This is a problem in low light because the top lens takes in about 75% more light than the bottom one. So you could take a better digitally zoomed image on a XR than your optically zoomed image on your XS.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The way I heard it explained is that because the XR only has one really good lens it uses that all the time, whereas the X and XS will use the zoom lens for some situations, which isn't as good. This is a problem in low light because the top lens takes in about 75% more light than the bottom one. So you could take a better digitally zoomed image on a XR than your optically zoomed image on your XS.

I did some more research on this. Since the dual lens was introduced in the 7 Plus, the telephoto lens is only used for zoom in adequate lighting conditions, otherwise it resorts to the main sensor at 2X digital zoom for the reasons you mentioned. People did tests by covering up just the telephoto lens to demonstrate this.

There is one exception to this switch, though, now that Apple has allowed portrait mode on a single lens with the XR. The XR outperforms the XS/Max if you try to do a portrait mode photo in a low light setting since the XS/Max will still use the telephoto lens instead of digital zoom / resorting to the wide angle lens for more light. So this results In a more cropped and darker shot compared to the XR.

Seems like we would benefit from being able to choose between the lenses used in portrait mode on the XS/Max, but that may take away from the “it just works” deal.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Focos is good for making after the fact changes but are there any “it just works” camera apps that can take Live Photo’s and make them look less like trash, or can take a photo I’ve taken from the lock screen and do some software magic on it without me needing to know how to make it look good?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok I think I have a hold on this but I just want to double sure as I can’t gently caress this up.

iPhone 6. I usually have my ringer turned off and volume turned completely down on my phone.

I might get emergency calls in the middle of the night so I absolutely need to get these, but don’t want Facebook, WhatsApp etc bleeping away.

So I turn ‘Do Not Disturb’ on, but set accept calls from everyone and have my ringer on and volume up. That should be everything right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ok I think I have a hold on this but I just want to double sure as I can’t gently caress this up.

iPhone 6. I usually have my ringer turned off and volume turned completely down on my phone.

I might get emergency calls in the middle of the night so I absolutely need to get these, but don’t want Facebook, WhatsApp etc bleeping away.

So I turn ‘Do Not Disturb’ on, but set accept calls from everyone and have my ringer on and volume up. That should be everything right?

I think so, yeah. You can also only let through Favorites contacts, or a particular contact group (although IIRC you can’t create contact groups on the phone), if you want to white-list the numbers that don’t get silenced.