Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speak for yourself.

Kylo Ren is I C O N I C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also take into account the fact that JJ Abrams is a horrendous liar when it comes to plot spoiler misdirections.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rey Skywalker rides again

edit: imagine how funny it would be if JJ makes Rey Luke's long-lost secret kid after the movie where Rey and Luke had a ton of screen time together and then Luke died

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I didn't like Snoke's throne room because it looked like they forgot to CGI in the background.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Then it burns down and its a window to a huge hanger.

Those curtains were pretty expensive.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do you think Salacious B. Crumb is back to repair Kylo Ren's helmet?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rey's parents will be people of no consequence, but it was Palpatine who made her the same way he made Anakin. That would covering both bases of "we want her parents to be nobodies" and "we want her to have an important lineage".

Meanwhile, this is a heck of a thing for Kennedy to drop out of nowhere.
https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1118270840989192192

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still mad they wasted Max von Sydow.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

she says they want to do smaller stories so i'm looking forward to the star wars my dinner with andre

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The mirrored floor and total lack of texture on the curtains doesn't work at all for me.

The charitable assumption is that it's meant to echo the dark side mirror hole on Jedi Planet.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Again, that's a different guy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tomtrek posted:

The red curtain and the mirrored floor always seemed to me to be to be harking back to the various iterations of Ming the Merciless' throne room that have appeared on screen over time:

Except this is a bit more minimalist. That, combined with Snoke's gold bathrobe, almost gives it a sense of opulence, like Snoke is a rich rear end in a top hat as well as being an evil mastermind.

It's stripped back from the Flash Gordon example (especially the film version) but it still gives that same feeling to me, especially when compared to the Emperor's throne room which is mainly focused on feeling cold and metallic (and is also way too busy in my opinion)

Well yeah, it’s certainly a reference. But do a quick compare/contrast. Snoke is isolated on this little circular island in the middle of the room, whereas Ming is at the top of a staircase and has this sculpture of a massive sunlike halo around him. Even the more traditional throne room in the black & white image has these strong vertical lines - and in both cases, Ming’s throne towers over something: the crowd of subjects and/or the banquet table where he conducts his meetings. So even when Ming steps down, the throne still marks his importance. Snoke’s room isn’t a minimalist version of this - it’s a completely different version.

It’s also not the same as in Return Of The Jedi, because Sheev’s room there was kinda hastily constructed atop this antenna-like spire. It’s not where he conducts business on a day-to-day basis. (And even then, he is still sitting over these computer consoles).

galagazombie posted:

I Think this makes a good point. Everyone knows Han Solos clothes. The way the colors contrast and the lines flow mean that even in a pile on the floor people would go "Those are Han's clothes!". Conversely if you asked anyone what Poe has been wearing you'd get a shrug.

The best example of this is when FN borrows Poe’s jacket and says, like, “yeah, this is a Resistance jacket” and... it isn’t. What do Resistance guys even look like? Was Poe disguising himself as a regular dude, or what?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm having a laugh imagining a solo Obi-Wan film with Ewan Mcgregor, but it's just another Trainspotting movie.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
what story do you tell about obi wan on the stupid desert planet that no one cares about? is he gonna fight tusken raiders that were planning a raid on lukes home. or negotiate water prices with the local magistrate with the force. or maybe he fell in love with a local stripper and became an alcoholic when she got eaten by a sarlacc or something. who gives a poo poo.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

actually id like to see that last one. obi wan loses his virgnity to a twilek dancer. ive had many dreams that start that way. i awake with messy pants

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If they let Danny Boyle do an Obi-Wan movie I'd be into it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The MSJ posted:

Rey's parents will be people of no consequence, but it was Palpatine who made her the same way he made Anakin. That would covering both bases of "we want her parents to be nobodies" and "we want her to have an important lineage".

They're going to ruin Kotor :cry:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

She doesn't say KOTOR movie, just they're working on something. I don't think they control the video game production though?

More worrying is she kinda confirms Palpatine is "back". Was definitely hoping that was just going to be a cameo. Although I guess even if it is only a cameo she couldn't say "oh it's just a cameo" anyway.

Ammanas posted:

what story do you tell about obi wan on the stupid desert planet that no one cares about? is he gonna fight tusken raiders that were planning a raid on lukes home. or negotiate water prices with the local magistrate with the force. or maybe he fell in love with a local stripper and became an alcoholic when she got eaten by a sarlacc or something. who gives a poo poo.

Yes to that last one, get me a treatment

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ammanas posted:

what story do you tell about obi wan on the stupid desert planet that no one cares about?

Obi-Wan daydrinking

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snoke's throne room is just the evil version of an apple store

Or a less compelling version of the club from Tokyo Drifter

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Altman's secret honor but with obi

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Shame but with Lobot

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Secretary but with gonk droid and supervisor droid

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I'm disappointed the sequels didn't get more creative with the lightsabers. We have Kylo's lightsaber of course but then it's just Anakin's old lightsaber and a cameo of Luke's green one. I thought Rey would have a new lightsaber in episode 9, maybe with some non standard color but they just somehow brought back Anakin's. It's funny that the green lightsaber in ROTJ was apparently introduced so it would stand out against the blue sky and the desert but they don't care about that now.

It's a minor thing but it fits in the whole design laziness of the sequels. Plus I always thought the lightsaber hilt designs were a cool detail in the prequels.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I still have hope that Rey's gonna make a saber staff thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Jewel Repetition posted:

They're going to ruin Kotor :cry:

The MMO already did that.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
rey's real parents: one of those droids who defend general grievous, and darth maul

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Jesus posted:

I'm disappointed the sequels didn't get more creative with the lightsabers. We have Kylo's lightsaber of course but then it's just Anakin's old lightsaber and a cameo of Luke's green one. I thought Rey would have a new lightsaber in episode 9, maybe with some non standard color but they just somehow brought back Anakin's. It's funny that the green lightsaber in ROTJ was apparently introduced so it would stand out against the blue sky and the desert but they don't care about that now.

It's a minor thing but it fits in the whole design laziness of the sequels. Plus I always thought the lightsaber hilt designs were a cool detail in the prequels.

It really is quite odd how Rey is clinging to Anakin's saber. I just think...

1. It was broken in half and probably not easily repairable...
2. But Rey is a pretty good tinkerer, apparently...
3. And she was pretty good with that quarterstaff she had.

So it seems obvious that she'd knock together a double-sided lightsaber out of it. Maybe with two different blades or something.

It's just weird that they're clinging to a laser sword drenched in the blood of children.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

teagone posted:

you mean mauls double sided dildo? idk what a saber staff thing looks like
nah

if anyone is gonna have funky weapons itll be the knight of ren (WTF DOES THAT NAME MEAN) but i dont think theyre saber-users?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

teagone posted:

Let's hold hands and hope together. I'm hoping for one side green and one side blue, being a merger of Lukes and Anakins saber.

I'm still angry that Luke's green saber didn't show up in TLJ, no that 1 second flashback doesn't count.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ammanas posted:

knight of ren (WTF DOES THAT NAME MEAN)
This has been sorta bugging me ever since that episode 7 lore dump book came out. My assumption is that it's gonna turn out Ren is a title like Darth and the other knights are all gonna be called Starwarsname Ren but lol what the gently caress is "Kylo"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also I'm gonna lol when the knights of ren either don't show up in this movie at all or get unceremoniously ganked by Kylo in the opening scene and never mentioned again afterwards. Since they got completely cut from 8 I kinda get the impression they have no idea how to incorporate them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Big Word posted:

Also I'm gonna lol when the knights of ren either don't show up in this movie at all or get unceremoniously ganked by Kylo in the opening scene and never mentioned again afterwards. Since they got completely cut from 8 I kinda get the impression they have no idea how to incorporate them.

Well, it doesn't make a lick of sense that Kylo is the master of anything, much less an order of knights. I can see why they have no idea how to incorporate them. The reason people are so interested in knowing what their deal is is because the Knights don't make any sense with what we know of Kylo Ren's character and his history.

Like, he's the master of these Knights of Ren. Are they all [name] Ren? Did they exist before he joined Snoke, or were they other people from Luke's academy? If he's their master, where were they during TFA and why does nothing about Kylo's character suggest he's the sort of person who leads people? Is it a ceremonial title, perhaps? Who knows.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Making Rey’s parents her adopted parents would be an acceptable dodge to me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jewmanji posted:

And more maddening: there isn't a single memorable set in either of the two new movies. The fact that the cavernous space where Kylo and Han meet just recycles wallpaper from the Cloud City exhaust tube is a small but illustrative example of the entire approach to these films. Take something iconic, borrow some of the assets and try to loosely re-contextualize them into something new but familiar.

On the upside, this got us the fun discussions about whether Jakku is actually Tattooine/Hosnia Prime is actually Coruscant/Maz's lovely bar planet is actually Endor.

Okay, I don't think anyone has actually claimed the last thing, but can you give any proof they are not the same?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

On the upside, this got us the fun discussions about whether Jakku is actually Tattooine/Hosnia Prime is actually Coruscant/Maz's lovely bar planet is actually Endor.

Okay, I don't think anyone has actually claimed the last thing, but can you give any proof they are not the same?

One of the dumb things about the sequels is that in order to retain the flavor of the OT, virtually everything you see is occurring on some backwater planet (Canto Bight notwithstanding). The reason that Lucas did that in the OT was largely for cost/logistical/effects reasons. The original ending for ROTJ placed the Emperor’s throne room deep inside the molten core of Coruscant. He changed it to Death Star II partly for story reasons but also because of the impracticality of depicting Coruscant in 1983. The ST doesn’t have any such constraint and yet insists on sticking to sparsely populated natural environments. There’s nothing of the diversity of Tatooine/Death Star/Hoth/Dagobah/Bespin/Kamino/Coruscant/Naboo/Mustafar in the sequels.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Apparently Admiral Akbars voice actor didn't like Admiral Holdo because she was some random person nobody was connected with or had an emotional attachment to before the movie she was made up for, and clearly it should have been his beloved character that should have saved the fleet.

I like to think nobody could be this totally devoid of self-awareness and that he was kidding, but I hope he's going to really enjoy himself and his charcter become right wing misogynist icons now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

One of the dumb things about the sequels is that in order to retain the flavor of the OT, virtually everything you see is occurring on some backwater planet (Canto Bight notwithstanding). The reason that Lucas did that in the OT was largely for cost/logistical/effects reasons. The original ending for ROTJ placed the Emperor’s throne room deep inside the molten core of Coruscant. He changed it to Death Star II partly for story reasons but also because of the impracticality of depicting Coruscant in 1983. The ST doesn’t have any such constraint and yet insists on sticking to sparsely populated natural environments. There’s nothing of the diversity of Tatooine/Death Star/Hoth/Dagobah/Bespin/Kamino/Coruscant/Naboo/Mustafar in the sequels.

That sums up why the ST just hasn't felt as grandiose to me. The PT felt like a sweeping opera (and a soap opera at times.). The ST feels like a bunch of assholes having a squabble in a bunch of random forests. It feels inconsequential, despite the fact that a Death Star blew up five planets in TFA

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sanguinia posted:

Apparently Admiral Akbars voice actor didn't like Admiral Holdo because she was some random person nobody was connected with or had an emotional attachment to before the movie she was made up for, and clearly it should have been his beloved character that should have saved the fleet.

I like to think nobody could be this totally devoid of self-awareness and that he was kidding, but I hope he's going to really enjoy himself and his charcter become right wing misogynist icons now.

he's right though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bonaventure posted:

he's right though?

The point is that beloved character Admiral Ackbar first showed up Return of the Jedi. The third and original final Star Wars movie.