Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The Diablo 3 experience:

Game purchased.
Log on with friends.
Friends are level bajillion.
See the entirety of Diablo 3s content in eight seconds.
Uninstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

The Diablo 3 experience:

Game purchased.
Log on with friends.
Uninstall.

Pretty much this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If your friends don't start a new seasonal character with you, then you have bad friends.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
When did COD campaigns become longer than 6-8 hours?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Holyshoot posted:

:wrong: I wasn't talking about the campaign at all. you can get all geared out and nothing left to do but higher greater rifts in the same amount of time I can get through a cod campaign. 12-20 hours. Idk about you but an arpg is supposed to have way more staying power then that.

An ARPG should have an endgame. Nobody is saying that D3 has a real endgame unless you like pushing extreme levels of grifts and that's weird.

The main issue is this:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not even opposed to that. Actual progression would be a welcome thing but in all of my runs I spend 6 to 8 hours feeling like an extremely low level character not able to do anything cool or interesting.

The leveling experience in Grim Dawn makes me feel like I'm no powerful than any given NPC. I'm constantly about to die in anything more than a group of randomly weaker enemies, because apparently some enemies can take me down when it's two of them, but I can take 10 of other enemies without any issue, but hell if they'll give me any feedback as to what the gently caress is happening. I have about 30 hours into a Druid at 41 and every fight, every encounter feels like complete guesswork RNG; I've followed every guide and recommendation that deals with leveling and it's always "just buff life regeneration/increases" and it's a huge slog, and I don't feel powerful or like I'm having fun, I'm just pushing through with the assumption that "when I get gear it'll be worth it"

I just don't see how Veteran can be this punishing, and I don't see how further difficulties are playable at all since this is barely playable.

D3 has a short gameplay cycle that resets but also, I really don't have time to devote all these hours into trying to play a drat video game, so I can't help but find it more attractive.

e: ok guess my 20 years of ARPG experience means nothing because turning off Veteran Mode makes this actually fun to play

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 16, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

The Diablo 3 experience:

Game purchased.
Log on with friends.
Uninstall.

My wife and I spent hours leveling through the campaign and trying to complete sets so we stood a chance in the higher difficulties. Your method was a lot more efficient.

I enjoyed the gameplay well enough, but D3's skill system sucks and the full sets are tuned way too high compared to other equipment.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

if an arpg doesnt have at least 40 character classes then its pathetic

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

if an arpg doesnt have a way to teleport to the boss in 15 seconds then its pathetic

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

An ARPG should have an endgame. Nobody is saying that D3 has a real endgame unless you like pushing extreme levels of grifts and that's weird.

The main issue is this:

The leveling experience in Grim Dawn makes me feel like I'm no powerful than any given NPC. I'm constantly about to die in anything more than a group of randomly weaker enemies, because apparently some enemies can take me down when it's two of them, but I can take 10 of other enemies without any issue, but hell if they'll give me any feedback as to what the gently caress is happening. I have about 30 hours into a Druid at 41 and every fight, every encounter feels like complete guesswork RNG; I've followed every guide and recommendation that deals with leveling and it's always "just buff life regeneration/increases" and it's a huge slog, and I don't feel powerful or like I'm having fun, I'm just pushing through with the assumption that "when I get gear it'll be worth it"

I just don't see how Veteran can be this punishing, and I don't see how further difficulties are playable at all since this is barely playable.

D3 has a short gameplay cycle that resets but also, I really don't have time to devote all these hours into trying to play a drat video game, so I can't help but find it more attractive.

e: ok guess my 20 years of ARPG experience means nothing because turning off Veteran Mode makes this actually fun to play

Those are valid gripes. But then why do you poo poo on poe? Unless you're that loving idiot from ign even someone who has little arpg experience can get to end game in 20-30 hours. For you probably quicker. And there's a poo poo load of end game.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

punchymcpunch posted:

if an arpg doesnt have a skill tree so incomprehensibly arcane that you need to follow a guide for your first six months just to avoid ruing your character then its pathetic

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Holyshoot posted:

Those are valid gripes. But then why do you poo poo on poe? Unless you're that loving idiot from ign even someone who has little arpg experience can get to end game in 20-30 hours. For you probably quicker. And there's a poo poo load of end game.

my beloved chela confessed a few months ago that he has over 100 hours in poe and has never hit maps, so

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RohG-JzXiM

July 19th release y'all. Rename the thread.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

the worst part about the poe passive tree is actually how locked in it becomes once you decide what you want to do. It's illusion of choice and maybe only 20-30 points of a build are variable once you get life/es

there are websites that actually show heatmaps of passive tree variance and there isn't as much as you'd think with a tree that big

i'm actually a believer in endgame for an arpg as horizontal progression. if you have good content then you'll enjoy playing it again with other archetypes. characters as content is a good idea and has a lot more replayability than trying to churn out more and more content. i remember when the great ape escape one-shot came and it was loving miserable because it was 7 minutes of the same content over and over again. zoo and rad skull were even worse. gently caress trying to get that jacket drop from skull

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Lux Aeterna posted:

characters as content is a good idea and has a lot more replayability than trying to churn out more and more content.

I think we all, here in the marvel heroes thread, strongly agree with this.

That said there was a point where I exclusively played spiderman to cosmic but getting enough splinters for a new character was always a special time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ultimate alliance 3 gonna own

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is Eonwe the opposite of ICR?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretty much the same i guess

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Eonwe plays all the bad games instead of just shilling them. They are the same but different

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but i do legitimately love marvel ultimate alliance 1 and 2, and 3 looks nice

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

That said there was a point where I exclusively played spiderman to cosmic but getting enough splinters for a new character was always a special time.

They really threaded the needle on this aspect. You'd just get to the point where you were tired of a character and have enough splinters to roll a random character.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

They really threaded the needle on this aspect. You'd just get to the point where you were tired of a character and have enough splinters to roll a random character.

which is exactly why they then started to gently caress with splinter drops and make them have a chance to drop toward the end.

goddamn they really did try to murder that game with splinter drops and nerfing movement

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I remember the splinter fountain during the first birthday event. Good times.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Man I'm glad I dropped off before all this poo poo. What did they do to movement and splinters??

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Tldr there was a huge update gimped everything. Everyone's movement skills got nerfed so you couldn't get around anywhere near as fast, drop rates on splinters were hosed with in some way I don't recall off the top of my head. I think that was also the update that completely changed the Omega system.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Move skills weren't spammable anymore. They had charges and long cooldowns to get charges back. Everyone got a free "sprinting" power, but it was infinitely slower than teleporting like a madman. They said something like, "Why the gently caress did we build this whole level if people are gonna just teleport through it? gently caress you nerds, you're seeing every inch of our meticulously hand-crafted level".

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 16, 2019

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Move skills weren't spammable anymore. They had charges and long cooldowns to get charges back. Everyone got a free "sprinting" power, i.e. but it was infinitely slower than teleporting like a madman. They said something like, "Why the gently caress did we build this whole level if people are gonna just teleport through it? gently caress you nerds, you're seeing every inch of our meticulously hand-crafted level".
And then they didn't build any more levels to take advantage of the "slower pace" because the game died. Oops!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

:psyduck:

I'm sorry you guys lived that. It sounds miserable.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Move skills weren't spammable anymore. They had charges and long cooldowns to get charges back. Everyone got a free "sprinting" power, i.e. but it was infinitely slower than teleporting like a madman. They said something like, "Why the gently caress did we build this whole level if people are gonna just teleport through it? gently caress you nerds, you're seeing every inch of our meticulously hand-crafted level".

What the gently caress, spamming movement abilities gave Marvel Heroes a more lively pace than Diablo or Torchlight. I specifically remember dropping Torchlight 2 immediately when I realized I was always going to have to run at the normal pace.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Don't get me wrong, the skill tree rework was great and desperately needed, and the movement changes worked out for a few degenerate builds and edge cases that I liked (Green Goblin, Nova).

But yeah. RIP the dead dumb game, and its dead dumb devs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Saint Freak posted:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Flip the Switch

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They consolized the movement and skill system of the PC version. I think one of the devs said it was because while they were developing the console version, they thought they were going to lose the license for the PC platform, but it apparently got extended. It was nice of them to make the game bad so that the actual death wasn't quite as painful I guess.

Also, it seems that there has been a secret City of Heroes private server running for the last six years. Maybe the real reason this thread is still alive is that there's a secret private MH server running somewhere, and you guys are just being stingy with the invitations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Marvel Heroes was great at this... for awhile. It started becoming apparent that the end was nigh once they were releasing extremely boring/samey characters like Blade.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Soothing Vapors posted:

my beloved chela confessed a few months ago that he has over 100 hours in poe and has never hit maps, so

I feel like it may have crashed but Steam thought it was running for a few days because yeh, what the hell

Saint Freak posted:

:wow:

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 17, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Move skills weren't spammable anymore. They had charges and long cooldowns to get charges back. Everyone got a free "sprinting" power, but it was infinitely slower than teleporting like a madman. They said something like, "Why the gently caress did we build this whole level if people are gonna just teleport through it? gently caress you nerds, you're seeing every inch of our meticulously hand-crafted level".

over the course of the whole game they built like 30 "levels" max. a single doom2 wad is bigger than that

smdh at a corporation whining about nobody seeing their levels when actually we all saw them a million times

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Using Silver Surfer's insane movement + teleport to clear the entirely of Midtown in like 30 seconds was the most "I am a loving superhero" thing.

I remember the skill rework giving Juggernaut a build where you had like 99% uptime on his charging signature. Juggernaut was loving cool.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
He was on a roll, and not like his step brother Chuck...

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Greatest moment in the game for me was playing Thing as my main character for like two years with only the most meager QOL adjustments, and then he gets like the very last 52 Review and it turned out to be everything I could have ever wanted. Playing Post-52 Thing was pure joy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Greatest moment in the game for me was playing Thing as my main character for like two years with only the most meager QOL adjustments, and then he gets like the very last 52 Review and it turned out to be everything I could have ever wanted. Playing Post-52 Thing was pure joy.

Thing's rework was so loving good. Tossing hot dog carts and manhole covers and shouting the catchphrase of his abusive older brother and that movie was so bad.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Shine posted:

Thing's rework was so loving good. Tossing hot dog carts and manhole covers and shouting the catchphrase of his abusive older brother and that movie was so bad.
I will go to my grave assured that many of the Thing 52 Review improvements were based on ideas that I had posted on the O-Forums. I left my mark on that dumb game, dagnabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

counterpoint : thing pong was some of the smoothest cosmic today ever pre-52