Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol @ Thurrott publishing like 20 articles about Chredge last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

thurrott did an AMA

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

paul, what's it like to keep exposing your wangus to the entire internet

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i thought surely someone would cover it in this thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pleasure us, kevin

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

i thought surely someone would cover it in this thread

why would anyone care? thurrot is not funny even in an ironic way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

like, it'd be neat for posting purposes if he was the msft gruber, but he is really just super dry and usually measured, about already really boring stuff

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Hey, he just published two new articles about Edge! His audience must love these.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

like, it'd be neat for posting purposes if he was the msft gruber, but he is really just super dry and usually measured, about already really boring stuff

read the room

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

paul, what's it like to keep exposing your wangus to the entire internet

i thought that was leo laporte

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol poo poo you're right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, it was always possible that they'd both done it.

i'm sure for a middle aged man with a moderately successful tech media career it becomes asymptotically difficult to keep from broadcasting your dingus to all and sundry

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after the whole plan leaking 3 weeks ago microsoft has unveiled the xbox one s all digital which somehow costs more [$250] than an xbox one s with an optical drive and bundled game

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

after the whole plan leaking 3 weeks ago microsoft has unveiled the xbox one s all digital which somehow costs more [$250] than an xbox one s with an optical drive and bundled game

Are the spinners 5400s?

Fake E: of course they are! :v:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

didn't they originally introduce the xbone s as $250? why the gently caress didn't they drop it by $50 or more?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft games' current plan is to get as many people to sign up for monthly subscriptions as possible [they made a new $15 one today that combines xbox live and gamepass] then pivot to mobile and hope it sticks

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
psoting
on
page

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Millstone posted:

psoting
on
page

I wish I were cool enough to poast on page 219.

:(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

microsoft games' current plan is to get as many people to sign up for monthly subscriptions as possible [they made a new $15 one today that combines xbox live and gamepass] then pivot to mobile and hope it sticks

a Microsoft pivot to mobile has never failed!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

microsoft games' current plan is to get as many people to sign up for monthly subscriptions as possible
correct

qirex posted:

then pivot to mobile and hope it sticks
incorrect

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I wish I were cool enough to poast on page 219.

same

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fiedler posted:

correct

incorrect

so they’re going to waste another few bil launching new hardware that nobody wants

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the only microsoft pivot that has stuck is pivot tables

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

so they’re going to waste another few bil launching new hardware that nobody wants

it costing billions to r&d putting an amd apu in a plastic shell is a mythological idea created only for console advertising purposes (well, sony managed to spend some ridiculous amount on the ps2 and 3, but those are probably the only really expensive-to-design consoles to have ever existed). while they are losing this generation in gamer terms (where the singular who who is "winning" is very important) they've sold >40 million of the things, and have very likely made a lot of money.

like, don't buy one, it seems clear-cut that if you want that sort of thing the ps4 is the better option, and i'd suggest a switch first, but i really don't think microsoft is dropping any part of their current strategy in a next generation.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it costing billions to r&d putting an amd apu in a plastic shell is a mythological idea created only for console advertising purposes (well, sony managed to spend some ridiculous amount on the ps2 and 3, but those are probably the only really expensive-to-design consoles to have ever existed). while they are losing this generation in gamer terms (where the singular who who is "winning" is very important) they've sold >40 million of the things, and have very likely made a lot of money.
they spent over a billion just on marketing for the xbone, when you have a couple thousand people working on something the costs add up pretty quickly. the xbone isn't a total disaster but it still has to compete with the other divisions at microsoft for budget and the return on xbox investment is apparently so unimpressive they've feel the need to conceal it in their financials for the last 3 years

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

they spent over a billion just on marketing for the xbone, when you have a couple thousand people working on something the costs add up pretty quickly. the xbone isn't a total disaster but it still has to compete with the other divisions at microsoft for budget and the return on xbox investment is apparently so unimpressive they've feel the need to conceal it in their financials for the last 3 years

there's some truth to what you say, but i think this makes a better case for getting out of the gaming business than some strategic switch to being all-mobile/streaming (where they'd really have to do much of the same stuff just without the hw team). the xbone is not *very* successful, but it is still sort of a cornerstone to doing anything in the space. it should also be noted that it is cheaper for microsoft than for most to do a console like that, since the software and dev tools are mostly stuff they already have either way.

i really couldn't care less if they kill the xbone though, have no horse in that race.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
New article on Chredge from Thurrott: https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/web-browsers/microsoft-edge/205216/living-on-the-new-edge-reading

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if xbox runs at a loss, lets microsoft push brand awareness and collect data on a demographic it may not otherwise have easy access to

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I think they have plenty of data on the people who shout racist poo poo into the internet

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The xbox one sad is just an xbox one S without the optical drive, same case and all with an empty hole inside and unused sata port:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoYOuDikNc&t=390s

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

isn’t the selling point of the Xbox One S support for 4K UHD Blu-rays?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah, it does 4k hdr videos/streaming and blu-ray, and uses hdr for games.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

well, it's the base xbone so really its selling point is "it's an xbone but not the expensive one"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qirex posted:

go read the 10Q.

"[For the Six Months Ended December 31, 2018 compared with the Six Months Ended December 31, 2017]
Gaming revenue increased $1.2 billion or 20%, driven by Xbox software and services growth of 33%, primarily due to third-party title strength, offset in part by a decline in Xbox hardware of 4%"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah they used to show net profit/loss for xbox but now they just show gross revenue

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

xbox isn't special in that regard.

for the whole company they only report operating income for the three segment buckets (Productivity and Business Processes, Intelligent Cloud, More Personal Computing). you won't find, for example, how much SQL Server made or lost.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fiedler posted:

you won't find, for example, how much SQL Server made or lost.

if people saw how much they were making on sql server there might be more pressure to reduce their licencing fees

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

now speaking of dying markets

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

xbox isn't special in that regard.

for the whole company they only report operating income for the three segment buckets (Productivity and Business Processes, Intelligent Cloud, More Personal Computing). you won't find, for example, how much SQL Server made or lost.

also because how much money SQL server makes doesn't matter that much, it's how much does it drive adoption to Azure or use its resources. if Azure use is growing, and you can show whatever your working on is helping drive that number higher, then you're mostly fine. if it's not then your gonna get questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/04/17/microsoft-windows-10-problem-update-warning-upgrade-cost/#1b1b14a77d27

quote:

Just one week after freezing Windows 10 computers with an earlier update, Microsoft has warned users of serious new problems with another. Writing on the page of update KB4493509, Microsoft has confirmed the update can freeze PCs both in operation and boot up.

making software is hard, better fire all our test people