Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Something's definitely weird with my Fire Stations in this campaign.

Game still owns tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boy, this game is purdy.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

vandalism posted:

I figured out why anno is so good. It hits all the same neuro receptors as lovely phone games like flash of clans for the building but does it 1000x better and for no microtransactions. It's crack to me.

I love this sort of poo poo. The whole “I can optimise it slightly better” thing scratches my latent autism so well. It’s why I grew up addicted to Transport Tycoon. Same poo poo.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you're allied with two AIs and they go to war with each other, you have the option to either break alliance with both or side with one over the other. If you try to ignore it like I did and just close out the dialogue prompt without choosing anything apparently it just picks one of them for you to go to war with! So... don't do that if you want to avoid war. Luckily autosaves are frequent.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've never played an Anno game but impulse bought this after seeing it on youtube and twitch because it looks like it'll scratch an itch for me. Played a bit last night and managed to struggle my way to chapter 2 of the campaign, I have a couple gameplay questions:

Is it possible to see the ratio of how stuff produces? Like how many plank stations do I need per lumberjack area? I looked but I just couldn't find it. It's very possible I missed it in a tooltip somewhere. Also curious about my clay pit and brick stations. Lack of planks and bricks are really holding me back right now.

Can I pause time while still being able to build/upgrade/etc? Or is pause just a complete gameplay shutoff?

Any other tips would be appreciated. I just unlocked trade routes and don't really understand how those work, either, but I'll probably get the hang of it. The game definitely seems to just throw you in but it's also pretty forgiving as well. Definitely having fun, will probably be thinking about it all day at work today.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when you have a production building selected, mousing over the % will give you a production time. its mostly 0:30 minutes or 1 minutes. that should give you all the info about production ratios you need

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Personally, I’m holding out for Anno 441 - every five minutes the Huns show up and burn down half of what you’ve built

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I must say, I'm a particular type of broke brain that would plop down individual trees and bushes in Cities Skylines because it looks good with no tangible benefit and I really appreciate the options they have in this game to fill in open spaces that provide an actual bonus. In the Worker tier of trees/decorations they have a "____ Grove" option that you can drag out over a square and it'll naturally fill in a variety of trees with grass spaces in between and it makes things look very good. Before that point I was manually plopping down one type of tree, another type of tree, with some grass in between but this kind of does it for you.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I found this thing to make my head hurt less:

https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Picked this up today, very excited about another old times Anno game. I absolutely adored 1404 but bounced off 2070 and never played 2205. One question, as someone with a fair amount of experience with Anno, is it worth playing through the campaign or just diving right into a sandbox game?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Aphex- posted:

Picked this up today, very excited about another old times Anno game. I absolutely adored 1404 but bounced off 2070 and never played 2205. One question, as someone with a fair amount of experience with Anno, is it worth playing through the campaign or just diving right into a sandbox game?

Well, this time the campaign is basically a wrapper around the sandbox game.
So you can play through it and it adds extra objectives + events that tie into the story, and then when you finish it it progresses over to sandbox on the same map.
You do it at the pace you want to, with nearly all the quests starting and ending when you say so, instead of the game forcing thing after thing on you.

It's relatively short, and can be wrapped up before you hit engineers even.
Outside of a few limitations right at the start, it's mostly sandbox.
If you're interested in having a couple additional talking heads talk at you compared to a normal sandbox game, then go for it.

If anything, it gets you into the game faster because your starting island will keep giving you construction materials at the start, speeding up the beginning of the game a decent clip.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aphex- posted:

I started the campaign but gave up before completing the first objective of "Sail to this thing" because I realized I couldn't care less about the campaign. Although it sounds like in this one the campaign rolls into a sandbox game once finished so if you really do want to play the campaign you can have both.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's also worth nothing that there are a bunch of campaign-related achievements. Normally I wouldn't care about achievements but in this case they give out ubicoins you can use for extra portraits, emblems, and most importantly, extra decorative stuff for your parks. Since it seamlessly integrates into a sandbox once you're done with the campaign story, might as well get those coins.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ok cool, the main concern I had was starting over once I'd finished the campaign so I might just give it a shot.

Extra ubicoins are good but I never got around to spending the few thousand that I had accrued before they wiped them recently. :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Davincie posted:

when you have a production building selected, mousing over the % will give you a production time. its mostly 0:30 minutes or 1 minutes. that should give you all the info about production ratios you need

this is excellent, thanks

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That same timer is shown if you hover over the building in the construction menu.
And it'll even tell you how many of those buildings you have on the island, letting you quickly figure out if they're balanced or not.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Aphex- posted:

I found the campaign to be good in general, but it can become annoying when the events of the regular game and the campaign events start to overlap and very suddenly the game gets hectical. Nothing ever pauses the game (which kind of sucks tbh, fullscreen overlays such as the expedition screen should pause the game at the very least) so you may end up having to put out (often literal) fires in 5 different parts of the world at once.

So if you do play it, hold on to some triggers until the rest of the world is at peace as far as you can manage.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Note that those ratios will be thrown off if you start manually adjusting the productivity of specific industries or if some buildings happen to fall under the influence of a guild hall. In those cases I've just resorted to guesstimating instead of trying to keep everything perfect.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How much campaign is left if I just finished the part where you follow your fathers killer and sink some weirdo flamethrower ironclad?

Looks like it’s about to introduce The New World.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Well, my first sandbox game just ended in disaster, don't piss off the pirates yo. They sent a fleet of 10 ships to my harbor and destroyed everything. Paying their cease-fire tribute is much higher than it was in Anno 1404 which took me by surprise.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'd say that reaching the new world is the start of Act 2, out of 3. Campaign wise. So half to a third, depending on how much you push forwards into it.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the coal mines.
You need engineers to build them, but then they just match the output of a charcoal burner? (Looking at the wiki, anyhow.)

I was hoping they'd atleast have 2x output or something, but they just save space and a bit of attractiveness, provided you have enough coal nodes on the island to supply the industry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Note that those ratios will be thrown off if you start manually adjusting the productivity of specific industries or if some buildings happen to fall under the influence of a guild hall. In those cases I've just resorted to guesstimating instead of trying to keep everything perfect.

I was wondering about that. The tooltips don't seem to update based on the actual production? I was also thinking that the calculators don't include 'lag' from when you have to transport goods from one world to another. Not real sure how much you should increase production based on the lag, assuming you want 100% at the production facilities.

Just got sicked to death after finally getting to engineers. Oh well, I suffer from start-over-itis anyway, so here's another excuse :).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah, but it's a starting point. Last night I was trying to guesstimate by how much by stores were changing. Would not recommend.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just a reminder to everyone that component production buildings don't need a road to the warehouse, only to the final production building. Your potato farms only need a road to the distillery, not to the warehouse too 🙂

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Omnicarus posted:

Just a reminder to everyone that component production buildings don't need a road to the warehouse, only to the final production building. Your potato farms only need a road to the distillery, not to the warehouse too 🙂

Without the road to the warehouse, will the warehouse still keep any overages? That can be important when you are transitioning to another worker class. Having extra pigs at the start of Workers is very helpful.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Without the road to the warehouse, will the warehouse still keep any overages? That can be important when you are transitioning to another worker class. Having extra pigs at the start of Workers is very helpful.

It won't no, it's the same system as in Anno 1404 but now the resource building needs to be linked to the production building with a road rather than being inside its influence range.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i lost the campaign cause i didnt have a hospital and the epidemic hit my marketplace quickly

that pisses off every tier of citizen so i started losing both citizens and income in a quick death spiral

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How important is upgrading my roads? Is the speed increase significant?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not only do brick roads increases traffic speed, but it also increases the coverage effect of service buildings. I’d make them a priority personally.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How do you keep a positive income? I'm trading stuff but my net income is still negative presumably I just build more houses?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Popete posted:

How do you keep a positive income? I'm trading stuff but my net income is still negative presumably I just build more houses?

I just bought some shares in AI islands....

I was making an absolute fortune selling soap and frigates to NPC - but because the sales from those numbers didn't show up in the income and I had a massive production of soap I was deep negative in maintenance but sitting at 200k.

So for that 200k I bought a share that gave me 867 monthly income. So I bought a few more shares and now I'm at +4,500 (also the AI whose shares I bought hates me now and declared war on me...rude.)

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Popete posted:

BOOZE.

If you click on your houses, there's a second tab for luxuries that's displayed if you click on 'happiness'. These increase happiness and base tax and are mostly booze-related. If you're playing the campaign, settle an island with hops fertility so you can make beer, it'll skyrocket your income.

Also don't overbuild, all buildings other than houses cost maintenance after all.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Quick money buffer in the mid campaign is selling frigates to the guy next door. He buys one for 21k which helped me avoid some imminent bankruptcy.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Boksi posted:

Also don't overbuild, all buildings other than houses cost maintenance after all.

I think the best way to make a ton of money isn't the static flow but trading to NPCs.

Frigates sell for 21,500 and take 6 minutes to build. (And you should be able to keep building them non stop with the iron you start with)
Soap gets bought by the prison for 250-300 iirc.

I basically went from 20k to over 200k in the span of 40 minutes...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not only do brick roads increases traffic speed, but it also increases the coverage effect of service buildings. I’d make them a priority personally.

oh wow, yeah I will definitely work on upgrading my roads

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

2 things I wish the game had:
1: Upgrade road tool, just click and drag to update roads.
2: Upgrade/build when available / auto upgrade.
It would be nice to blueprint a factory and then just set it to autobuild when it had the resources for it.

Previous Annos let citizens auto-upgrade too(toggle-able of course.), which was nice in some cases.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

SubNat posted:

2 things I wish the game had:
1: Upgrade road tool, just click and drag to update roads.
2: Upgrade/build when available / auto upgrade.
It would be nice to blueprint a factory and then just set it to autobuild when it had the resources for it.

Previous Annos let citizens auto-upgrade too(toggle-able of course.), which was nice in some cases.

You can absolutely upgrade roads just by building brick roads over dirt roads, so that's kind of niche. And the auto-upgrade isn't in because of workforce reasons - don't want farmers upgrading to workers if it means leaving the fields fallow. Auto-build blueprints would be nice though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is there a downgrade tool somewhere so I don't have to manually do it?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wish there was a farther zoom, the farthest one feels closer than 2070 and 2205.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So what does Ubisoft have against a failed Republican dynasty member?