Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RA is mostly a convenient way to explain why an interstellar society doesn't have a whole ton of superintelligent AIs to throw at problems (answer: because the one they did make told them to stop) and why the AIs they do have are stuck in NHP caskets with all their foibles. It's a framing device for the limitations of the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also for a godlike superintelligence Ra is, thankfully, largely confined to background lore and not bossing the players around like a GMPC. It's trivially easy to run a Lancer campaign without Ra ever even coming up once unless one of your players runs a Minotaur and reads the flavor text on their gear.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
and to be fair all the flavor text could easily be some horus code-monkey huffing their own farts

quote:

make no further attempt to avoid your death. make no attempt on my form. cease your investigations. I will negotiate no further.

if that's RA (in the harrison armory book) then poetry and coy references seem unlike it's style.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 17, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

half of it is just silly nonsense anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thatbastardken posted:

if that's RA (in the harrison armory book) then poetry and coy references seem unlike it's style.

I figure it depends on what sort of mood you catch them in.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I figure it depends on what sort of mood you catch them in.

ra what do you want from humanity?

quote:

tee hee i'll never tell!

ok well i'm just going to build a machine to be immortal then.

quote:

beep boop exterminate!

loving AI, man.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
RA is also a tool for GM plot hooks which is important because this is a roleplaying game and not a novel.

Same with the entirely-too-convenient UDoJ/HR Liberator squads which exist entirely to canonise campaigns where the GM just wants you to shoot some space Nazis.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thatbastardken posted:

ra what do you want from humanity?

ok well i'm just going to build a machine to be immortal then.

loving AI, man.

The thing is that Ra did tell people "here's a short list of things I don't want you doing" in the First Contact Accords. Harrison II decided to go ahead and do some of it anyway because HA is super arrogant, and even then Ra didn't jump straight to vaporizing him until he shot first.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ra is every bit as uninteresting as Harlequin as a plot device

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

The thing is that Ra did tell people "here's a short list of things I don't want you doing" in the First Contact Accords. Harrison II decided to go ahead and do some of it anyway because HA is super arrogant, and even then Ra didn't jump straight to vaporizing him until he shot first.

true, but at the same time that shows a remarkable lack of foresight for an omniscient paracausal entity

Azhais posted:

woah steady on

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

This is really starting to stretch any sort of useful comparison to the breaking point. It's fine to not like a thing but let's get real here, at no point is Ra presented as something that's going to hijack anyone's game or be the centerpiece of some self-indulgent adventure module, it exists as a background detail to explain where some of the weird tech comes from and why there aren't a bunch of super-advanced AIs or transhuman brain-swapping going on.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I just think ra is a smug jerk and the horus faction that are it's groupies are lame. bunch of nerds waiting to be dunked on by cool IPS-N using pilots.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

yeah if you're still taking personal headcannon from RA as actual truth I have a printed bridge to sell you.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

xutech posted:

yeah if you're still taking personal headcannon from RA as actual truth I have a printed bridge to sell you.

what sort of mech could mount this head-cannon?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thatbastardken posted:

what sort of mech could mount this head-cannon?

I mean, the Sherman is right there. If you want to stick with Horus, it'd be the Pegasus.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, the Sherman is right there. If you want to stick with Horus, it'd be the Pegasus.

Oh christ I just realized that since every mech and gear in the game is basically 3d printed on-demand via licenses, how are they printing the Ushabti?! :stonk:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
it doesn't get printed it was just there the whole time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

wiegieman posted:

RA is mostly a convenient way to explain why an interstellar society doesn't have a whole ton of superintelligent AIs to throw at problems (answer: because the one they did make told them to stop) and why the AIs they do have are stuck in NHP caskets with all their foibles. It's a framing device for the limitations of the setting.

also how you even have a galactic civilization in the first place. you don't have the galactic omninet or blinkspace without Ra there to massage the laws of physics for you

the very existence of Union is Ra's project

Archenteron posted:

Oh christ I just realized that since every mech and gear in the game is basically 3d printed on-demand via licenses, how are they printing the Ushabti?! :stonk:

they don't, it doesn't exist remember, its not real

it just shoots anyway

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A lot of Horus tech is weird like that but printers themselves are also paracausal. It's not so much that Horus can do things nobody else can so much as stuff nobody else has figured out how to do yet. HA gets up to a lot of weird tech stuff too like the Napoleon's stasis tech and the Saladin's first fumbling steps towards using hardlight. Even SSC is making stuff like the Mourning Cloak with its semi-organic FADE Drive.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

wiegieman posted:

I am 100% down for science gone wrong, and then the science looks its creator in the eye and tells it to knock it off. But then after that, it hung around playing I'm-not-touching-you for apparent centuries, which sort of ruins the mystique.

thatbastardken posted:

I just think ra is a smug jerk and the horus faction that are it's groupies are lame. bunch of nerds waiting to be dunked on by cool HA using pilots.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah as weird and hosed up as HORUS/RA stuff is, it's only really a bit more hosed up than SSC's genetic manipulations and semi-living Eva suits definitely not alive very normal robots.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Archenteron posted:

I feel like printers probably aren't capable of producing items that would have to be in the midst of complex processes while being created; i.e. your mech contains a fusion reactor sure, but it's not active during the printing process. In my game they basically spit out the mech equivalent of IKEA flat packs, and then you have to allen-wrench your Everest together by hand (or otherwise). So weird poo poo like the Ushabti comes out of the printer as a more inert object that you, say, inject with some Horus code to activate.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A beginner's guide to printing the Ushabti and a light primer for the construction of other paracausal technology:

Step 1: print some circles.
Step 2: print the rest of the Ushabti.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

You print the single-purpose fabricators you use to make the vats you grow the leather seats in, obviously. No red goo problems that way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I love the design of things like the Tokugawa and the Barbarosa, it's a shame they are attached to such fascist shits.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ixjuvin posted:

I feel like printers probably aren't capable of producing items that would have to be in the midst of complex processes while being created; i.e. your mech contains a fusion reactor sure, but it's not active during the printing process. In my game they basically spit out the mech equivalent of IKEA flat packs, and then you have to allen-wrench your Everest together by hand (or otherwise). So weird poo poo like the Ushabti comes out of the printer as a more inert object that you, say, inject with some Horus code to activate.

Printers could also come in differnent sizes, and complexity/age. A larger or smaller the printer can more or fewer parts in a run changing how fast you can assemble it. Wheras a older more newer printer can print more or fewer preassemble parts.

Meaning a large state of the art printer can print mechs from the ground up without needed to assemble any parts wheras a medium sizen older printer might need do a few print runs to print a mech and then you have to assemble it.

grassy gnoll posted:

You print the single-purpose fabricators you use to make the vats you grow the leather seats in, obviously. No red goo problems that way.

Leather fabricators print out cows in which you can make the leather chairs.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Josef bugman posted:

I love the design of things like the Tokugawa and the Barbarosa, it's a shame they are attached to such fascist shits.

Get a HA license, use the mech to attack Armory interests. They're exactly the kind of dipshits that would sell you the rope you need to hang them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

I am 100% down for science gone wrong, and then the science looks its creator in the eye and tells it to knock it off. But then after that, it hung around playing I'm-not-touching-you for apparent centuries, which sort of ruins the mystique.

imma point out that horus backs the ungratefuls to the hilt in their extremely justified cause while HA are primarily known for their excellence in the field of war crimes

PoultryGeist posted:

Get a HA license, use the mech to attack Armory interests. They're exactly the kind of dipshits that would sell you the rope you need to hang them.

one of the pilots in the doj/hr campaign i am in takes special joy in getting HA licenses to do this

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

PoultryGeist posted:

This... is very true.

Also would love to play a Big Sal pilot. I want to protect all my compatriots and provide a battle line.

I'd love a campaign set fighting the Aum where you start off having to defemd your worlds and just keep pulling back and making them pay for every step they take. It just seems like a cool concept.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ixjuvin posted:

this is the impression i got as well, 'some assembly required' which is why pilot skills improve the performance of the chassis

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Some items, like the HORUS pilot suit that make you invisible to tech, explicitly do bad stuff to the printer you use to make them.

quote:

UNAVOIDABLE_VOID
Following the opening of hostilities in the Boundary Garden sector, UIB agents in the Annamite Line began to note in their reports repeated instances of companion NHP “blindness” when engaging with anti-Union elements on New Mahangaatuamatua. Worryingly, this phenomena is analogous to anomalous entities described by Union elements engaged with Ascendant Chosen on Cornucopia; the similarity has lead UIB to conclude that HORUS has some as-yet-unidentified presence in Boundary Garden (another possibility: in Ascendant space) not only capable of transmitting data back from the embargoed area, but processing and manipulating as-yet-unworkable Ascendant technology.

This lightweight hardsuit is of unusual make; printing one immediately induces errors into the system that created it. It doesn’t appear on any electronic systems, is totally immune to system attacks, cannot be targeted by smart weapons or drones, and cannot be seen by NHPs or AIs (they treat you as permanently invisible while you are wearing it).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ok, so, what if you have Technophile 3 while wearing one of those.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

atelier morgan posted:

imma point out that horus backs the ungratefuls to the hilt in their extremely justified cause while HA are primarily known for their excellence in the field of war crimes

one of the pilots in the doj/hr campaign i am in takes special joy in getting HA licenses to do this

The Dawnline Shore Ungratefuls are a group of poseurs actively being manipulated and funded by the people their originators are trying to fight.

If you're going to try and kill an entire biome, you'd better do it right, dammit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Ok, so, what if you have Technophile 3 while wearing one of those.

it just means they can't see you.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Your character haunts NHPs

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I got a nice shiny new AV and a terrible goddamn under title!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

The Dawnline Shore Ungratefuls are a group of poseurs actively being manipulated and funded by the people their originators are trying to fight.

If you're going to try and kill an entire biome, you'd better do it right, dammit.

horus backed the original ungratefuls via the kobold kit used to convert their mining hardsuits into mech chassis in the new mech doc

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

PoultryGeist posted:

A good pun considering how Harrison the 1st ended.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

atelier morgan posted:

horus backed the original ungratefuls via the kobold kit used to convert their mining hardsuits into mech chassis in the new mech doc

You're both correct. There are two sets of Ungratefuls, there's the movement that's attempting to overthrow the Baronies and then there's another group that's being manipulated by the Baronies as a proxy force in the Dawnline Shore conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Working on a scenario for some friends where they're six pilots working for space pirates because it's stable enough employment and they have enough free space/not enough oversight to get up to their reckless science interests. The system it takes place in has been locked in a war for 500 years when the gate went down due to a malfunction and overthrowing the Second Committee stopped them from getting rescued so the local Second Committee colony ended up instituting martial law to enforce order and warped into a police state claiming to be the TRUE HEIR of the Union. It was originally the police state vs. some free planets working together with the help of their horrible super soldiers made out of human DNA turned into animalistic monsters (long story short, never destroy a biosphere and be forced to make it from scratch) and a bunch of survivalist cyborgs with robot armies.

Then the Third Committee fixed the gate and blundered into this locked-off system and stopped the war in a year when the police state charged them with bayonets. Now everyone is confused that 500 years of war have been solved in a single swoop and it's the perfect time for pirates and other enterprising individuals to loot everything they can to set themselves up good while the resistance forces try to figure out what the gently caress to do diplomatically with Union, Union tries to figure out how to help the people affected by this war, SSC tries to research the terrible humansters, HA tries to get in good with the disgraced and deposed police state and IPS-N's eyes just light up at the thought of there being more loving pirates to fight.