Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Rarity posted:

Is that Andy Parsons cause I have an irrational urge to punch him?

Yes tag urself I’m half of Vince Cable’s ancient face.

E: TIG will get 226 votes in the locals and European elections combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jfc

https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1118458392580972544

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

He's such a loving oval office, the only reason I have any time for Alastair Campbell is the complete full on meltdown he trolled Boulton into live on air during the 2010 GE.

e:

namesake posted:

You (most likely) had one already - It was called the Referendum. Just every part of the People's Vote campaign screams 'No I can't be wrong here. People have to agree with me or it doesn't count.'

My main issue with comments like these is yes, there was a referendum however both leave campaigns lied and broke all the rules. The outcome should be scrapped not because I (or anyone else) doesn't like it and are a "sore loser", but because it was illegitimate.

"There was already a vote" is such a dangerous glossing over of the actions of both leave campaigns because if they're allowed to get away with that for a referendum it sends a loving starkly scary message about conduct in a General Election.

e:
https://news.sky.com/video/adam-why-did-you-let-him-off-the-hook-10843888

Do we like Barry Gardiner? Because this makes me want to like Barry Gardiner.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

It means 'after' or 'after me', glad I could solve this theological dispute!
But does the verse as a whole mean "don't follow after a bunch of people telling lies" or "don't stand up and tell a lie after a bunch of people have told the truth"?

Modern English translations of Exodus tend to go with the former, KJV is wonderfully ambiguous (surprising no one), and that important bit of Talmudic law concerning oven cleaning seems to go with the latter.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Bundy posted:

He's such a loving oval office, the only reason I have any time for Alastair Campbell is the complete full on meltdown he trolled Boulton into live on air during the 2010 GE.

e:

My main issue with comments like these is yes, there was a referendum however both leave campaigns lied and broke all the rules. The outcome should be scrapped not because I (or anyone else) doesn't like it and are a "sore loser", but because it was illegitimate.

"There was already a vote" is such a dangerous glossing over of the actions of both leave campaigns because if they're allowed to get away with that for a referendum it sends a loving starkly scary message about conduct in a General Election.

do you have a link to the meltdown? I would like to watch.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I'll try and find it, in the meantime have the terrible photoshop I made at the time about it:

e: Here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8

e2: vv dammit! :argh:

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

lemonadesweetheart posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnQcO17uYY&t=270s

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this policy proposal has completely broken peoples brains

https://twitter.com/miss_mcinerney/status/1118418231029567491

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Of course she's a Guardian columnist lol

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

But yeah, my take is that for people who believe in (for example) all-powerful beings beyond our reality and understanding, that have bestowed their Word upon us mere mortals, and laid down explicit rules and promises of eternal punishment for stepping out of line, everyone's incredibly chill about picking and choosing what rules are ok to break, what doctrine can be second-guessed because God actually meant to say this. It's like people actually have their own personal beliefs and moral codes, and they take what they like from their religion as with any philosophy - it's a lens to look at the world through, but they're still the one deciding what they see in the end

See as a spergy teen this bugged the poo poo out of me, because there's like this kayfabe around religion where nobody ever comes out and says this directly to you and you're just expected to get it (the picking and choosing rules and not really giving a gently caress thing) because that's how normal people be

But in the meantime there's still all this social pressure that if you're not following scripture you're a bad Christian, and by extension a bad person. How you're meant to react to this is to beg forgiveness, of course, and then you receive it and go back to being a lovely person 6 days a week, but all it did to me was give me a loving complex, because I didn't want to be forgiven, I wanted to not gently caress up in the first place

So naturally after a while I just said "gently caress this" and stopped caring, because the alternative was continuing to hate myself forever. But I can see how slightly different influences would have led me to care a whole lot in the opposite direction.

e/ I understand this is a local/personal thing, and some people actually do have religion presented to them as "more sort of guidelines".

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 17, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jose posted:

that brain was broken long ago
https://twitter.com/miss_mcinerney/status/1118427667081191424

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Love to make kids so anxious that they can't gently caress or smoke a spliff, very healthy.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lol at a TV presenter for Sky news attacking anyone on their social class, competence or demands to be heard.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Obligatory exams dont prepare you for life....

Jam Man needs to campaign for actual useful classes in Soc Ed such as how to manage money & preparing for real life as opposed to the 90s "DRUGS BAD, SEX WORSE" curriculum in place

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

Lol gently caress me that is an incredible take.

Bundy posted:

But saying there should be another vote is suggesting that there is potentially a valid reason for leaving (Leave could always win again!) but somehow all the leave campaigns didn't use them and the public didnt know them so the initial vote doesn't count. The campaign rule breaking should have been punished far more but that's the deterrent to stop it happening during the democratic process not voiding the result after the fact unless it's shown that the votes cast were falsified or that people weren't actually free to vote how they wanted. Imagine the inverse and suddenly countries are forced into constantly reholding national level elections because some faction wants to cause chaos and so just deliberately starts breaking the law.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

Love to make kids so anxious that they can't gently caress or smoke a spliff, very healthy.

So many of my students (uni age) are riddled with anxiety and depression, and it's heartbreaking. None of them seem to do student-y things anymore, presumably because they can't afford the booze or the hangovers. The opportunity to stretch out a bit and figure out who the hell you are and are becoming is gone, it's just one more stage of the SATs to desperately-trying-to-get-employed pipeline (while also racking up enormous debt for the privilege).

They can't sleep because they're so stressed, they can't work properly (because they're so stressed and sleep deprived), and they seem to believe their entire future is on the line with every essay they hand in (which aren't as good as they could be because they can't sleep because they're so stressed that they can't work properly). There was a run of first year suicides last year, which the uni seems to have done gently caress all about.

We, as a society, are so loving horrible to our kids.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Obligatory exams dont prepare you for life....

Jam Man needs to campaign for actual useful classes in Soc Ed such as how to manage money & preparing for real life as opposed to the 90s "DRUGS BAD, SEX WORSE" curriculum in place
Why should they learn about things they'll never have? :torysay:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

But does the verse as a whole mean "don't follow after a bunch of people telling lies" or "don't stand up and tell a lie after a bunch of people have told the truth"?

Modern English translations of Exodus tend to go with the former, KJV is wonderfully ambiguous (surprising no one), and that important bit of Talmudic law concerning oven cleaning seems to go with the latter.

In proper confusing judaic tradition I'm gonna go with either both or neither but never just one or the other.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Another study into whether austerity kills people

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570677X1830145X

quote:

Does austerity really kill?

Highlights

We evaluate the association between measures of fiscal policy and mortality in the EU.

We separate the recession-related mortality effects from those resulting from fiscal policy.

Austerity is associated with an increase in all-cause mortality.

Fiscal stimuli increase mortality due to cirrhosis and vehicle-accidents.

The results are sensitive to the set of countries examined.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

namesake posted:

But saying there should be another vote is suggesting that there is potentially a valid reason for leaving (Leave could always win again!) but somehow all the leave campaigns didn't use them and the public didnt know them so the initial vote doesn't count. The campaign rule breaking should have been punished far more but that's the deterrent to stop it happening during the democratic process not voiding the result after the fact unless it's shown that the votes cast were falsified or that people weren't actually free to vote how they wanted. Imagine the inverse and suddenly countries are forced into constantly reholding national level elections because some faction wants to cause chaos and so just deliberately starts breaking the law.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think it's feasible to just say gently caress it and revoke because it was just Cameron playing party politics with the country's future to win an election.

My problem with just punishing the campaigns after the fact but still respecting the result, is it implies that the people voting leave were able to make a fully informed decision. Not everyone is quite as good at critical thinking as your average UKMT poster and surely you don't think the outright propaganda/things the campaigns did outside of the rules played no part in the narrow majority for Leave? I mean we had elected government ministers, not just idiots like Farage, harping on about the milk and honey we'd enjoy as a result and how amazingly easy it would all be and we held all the cards and all that bollocks. I didn't buy it, but a hell of a lot did.

Barry Foster posted:

So many of my students (uni age) are riddled with anxiety and depression, and it's heartbreaking. None of them seem to do student-y things anymore, presumably because they can't afford the booze or the hangovers. The opportunity to stretch out a bit and figure out who the hell you are and are becoming is gone, it's just one more stage of the SATs to desperately-trying-to-get-employed pipeline (while also racking up enormous debt for the privilege).

They can't sleep because they're so stressed, they can't work properly (because they're so stressed and sleep deprived), and they seem to believe their entire future is on the line with every essay they hand in (which aren't as good as they could be because they can't sleep because they're so stressed that they can't work properly). There was a run of first year suicides last year, which the uni seems to have done gently caress all about.

We, as a society, are so loving horrible to our kids.

There's reams of evidence that kids having smartphones and access to social media during developmental years is a significant factor in the appalling state of mental health among the young too, particularly in girls. (Not disagreeing with you or whatabouting, I agree wholeheartedly)

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 17, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jose posted:

"If they are always depressed or anxious because of testing that means they will never do risky teenager behavior!"

This insane ghoul would see a silver lining in higher rates of teenage suicide, because it would mean that teenage pregnancy might have gone down; what in the actual gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking recently that I never see students in pubs anymore. It could be because I don't go to student places and because I'm not a weird auld creeper that goes out looking for students, but even when I've done one of The World's End style pub crawls along the traditional UniLadBro routes with old friends or gone to what I would have called a Very Student Bar near a uni because it's near where I was working the lower age cutoff is more like 25 than 1618 I've got an ID and all.

I assumed it was because Gen-Z has gently caress all money or were doing social media things instead but that fits too :smith:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bundy posted:

e:
https://news.sky.com/video/adam-why-did-you-let-him-off-the-hook-10843888

Do we like Barry Gardiner? Because this makes me want to like Barry Gardiner.

Yes that is the correct opinion. He's nuanced or absolute about the right things I think, and he's like like a John Fortune character, only both rational and a politician instead of only one at a time whilst John Bird is the other.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jaete posted:

It seems to me that after the second Brexit deadline passed and nothing at all happened, the media and the general public have suddenly grown tired of the whole topic. It feels like not many people give a poo poo any more

It is possible, I guess, that this six-month delay indeed might mean that Brexit will never happen... here's hopin'

People are really enthusiastic about brexit being over but I guess they haven't been paying attention cause its way more likely that this still falls under mays "run out the clock til it's only my deal" plan

In 5 months parliament will remember it has a deadline and she will be there to take her deal back to parliament and then go talk to Europe when it fails again and again and again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lib dems lib demming

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1118469387063787521

just casually asking what will happen if i murder a load of people. i'm a serious political commentator

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1118106739730276352

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 17, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She should ask Darren Osborne.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bundy posted:

My problem with just punishing the campaigns after the fact but still respecting the result, is it implies that the people voting leave were able to make a fully informed decision. Not everyone is quite as good at critical thinking as your average UKMT poster and surely you don't think the outright propaganda/things the campaigns did outside of the rules played no part in the narrow majority for Leave? I mean we had elected government ministers, not just idiots like Farage, harping on about the milk and honey we'd enjoy as a result and how amazingly easy it would all be and we held all the cards and all that bollocks. I didn't buy it, but a hell of a lot did.

There's a difference between suspicion and proof, people aren't purely rational anyway even when presented with the facts and you're acting like every Remainer argument was absolute truth when it patently wasn't. The Remain campaign was forecasting immediate economic doom from the second a Leave vote happened (while we've actually seen a long term decline) but they were still making poo poo up to strengthen their side. Then there's the information leaflet distributed by the government just before campaigning restrictions started which is dodgy as hell.

It was a bad referendum purely on practical grounds even before making a political assessment but it happened. It raises issues around the democratic process that should be thought through but all the claims to suggest it shouldn't count after the fact are far worse for democracy.

Accept it happened, accept it's impossible to make good and either just demand we don't leave because it's been a major gently caress up ever since or go for soft brexit but just don't refer back to the vote itself.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As a current student, there's some truth to the anxiety stuff, but also that many students don't or have barely drunk before they get to university now, and seem less eager to go to or do drinking events in general judt over the past 3 years.

Part of this is smartphones and social media - if you ate constantly interacting with your friends over WhatsApp or whatever (as my 14 year old sister does) then there's less a need or drive to meet up in person - which is what ends up in the sex, drugs, and juvenile crimes. No need to meet in the park after school if you're all snapchating eahc otger anyways.

Exam stress is a huge factor in kids not meeting up though (especially ones eho go to university) , I've been telling her repeatedly that her GCSEs aren't that important and that she is a smart person reguardless of her grades (which she is). And she hss to comfort her friends who take exams even more seriously and way overwork.

But yea, students are becoming less wild for sure. And it saddens me aswell, because thst wildness is needed to make friends and connections really - staying in your shell makes acquaintances more than friends.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Rarity posted:

Is that Andy Parsons cause I have an irrational urge to punch him?

I don't think that's irrational.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Some good old industrial action in progress today
https://twitter.com/rheawolfson/status/1118421542336114688

*scratches M&S off list of places I'm willing to shop*

namesake posted:

There's a difference between suspicion and proof, people aren't purely rational anyway even when presented with the facts and you're acting like every Remainer argument was absolute truth when it patently wasn't. The Remain campaign was forecasting immediate economic doom from the second a Leave vote happened (while we've actually seen a long term decline) but they were still making poo poo up to strengthen their side. Then there's the information leaflet distributed by the government just before campaigning restrictions started which is dodgy as hell.

It was a bad referendum purely on practical grounds even before making a political assessment but it happened. It raises issues around the democratic process that should be thought through but all the claims to suggest it shouldn't count after the fact are far worse for democracy.

Accept it happened, accept it's impossible to make good and either just demand we don't leave because it's been a major gently caress up ever since or go for soft brexit but just don't refer back to the vote itself.

I'm honestly not trying to claim Remain is beyond reproach, they're culpable as well but the consequences of those actions had Remain won are drastically different to what we've got now, no?

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 17, 2019

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Nothingtoseehere posted:

But yea, students are becoming less wild for sure. And it saddens me aswell, because thst wildness is needed to make friends and connections really - staying in your shell makes acquaintances more than friends.

Also true in my experience. I'm currently doing a Master's at the same uni I did my undergrad in. In my 1st year I was the same age as most of the 4th years, so we hung out quite a bit. They drank a lot, partied, got together frequently and pulled all-nighters to meet deadlines- classic student stuff. None of the subsequent years have been like that, and though a few like to come to the pub occasionally, nobody seems to do anything big or exciting. I think that part of it might be a shift in cultural values, alongside the stressors. It's cool to have your poo poo together, eat healthy, sleep well, etc.

In Master's though, so many of our class are from abroad and don't know anybody outside uni, and as you point out it's hard for them to progress from being acquaintances into friends.

e: clarity

Peanut Butter fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 17, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1118475208963371008?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

^^^ what the gently caress?

Bundy posted:

I'm honestly not trying to claim Remain is beyond reproach, they're culpable as well but the consequences of those actions had Remain won are drastically different to what we've got now, no?

Well yes because there was a vote about what course of action to take. "Well they violated electoral principles of democracy too but at least we'd be in the EU." is a very bad look...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Peanut Butter posted:

Also true in my experience. I'm currently doing a master's at the same uni I did my undergrad in. In my first year I was the same age as most of the 4th years, so we hung out quite a bit. They drank a lot, partied, hung out frequently and pulled all-nighters to meet deadlines- classic student stuff. None of the subsequent years have been like that, and though a few like to come to the pub occasionally, nobody seems to do anything big or exciting. I think that part of it might be a shift in cultural values, alongside the stressors. It's cool to have your poo poo together, eat healthy, sleep well, etc.

I'm honestly baffled with how little my adolescent goes out. I was never in at her age (I'm 38 now).

I hope UKMTers that do have young family members keep an eye on them with their phone and social media use...I was against my stepdaughter having a smartphone at all but I was overruled...I mean how the hell do people expect someone so young to be responsible with something worth hundreds of pounds, likely to be stolen/bullied over if it's not the Right Brand, that's a window into the unfettered filth that is the depths of the internet? Other parents I speak to waffle at me about "oh but I don't want them to be bullied for being the only one to not have one" which I find infuriating, simply because I got the same poo poo for having Hi Tec instead of Nike in PE. Kids are shits to each other, it's part of growing up, deal with the lovely behaviour rather than handwave it away ignorant of the consequences surely?

namesake posted:

Witness the effectiveness of propaganda and having your gurning loving frog face on the BBC all the time while the rest of the established parties play catch up. You'd think the Leave fiasco would have woken some fuckers up.

namesake posted:

Well yes because there was a vote about what course of action to take. "Well they violated electoral principles of democracy too but at least we'd be in the EU." is a very bad look...

Do you have any info on the rules Remain broke before I spend my lunchtime googling?

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 17, 2019

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

namesake posted:

Why does that surprise you? Brexit Party is basically taking over for UKIP, and Con have been imploding for weeks

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

well yeah, who else is anyone gonna give enough of a poo poo to vote in the EU elections for?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

UKIP won the most EU seats last time right?

nobody gives a single fukc about euro elections apart from gammons
i dont even know when theyre occuring or why i should vote for anyone

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the porn filter is now happening on July 15th

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/nicholascecil/status/1118468591668666369

I'm having trouble parsing a galaxy brain take that Labour backing another referendum would reduce support for a party that doesn't want another referendum...? Am I being dense?

e:

To answer an earlier thread question, I'm starting to see a fair bit on my timeline asking where all the outpouring of corporate sponsorship for Grenfell is.
https://twitter.com/andyecono/status/1117890855447056385

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nigel Farage's oval office of personality is more favourable than the guy who keeps making YouTube videos about how rape isn't real unless a Muslim does it. Genuinely shocked it's not closer to a tie.