Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

£65k, senior embedded software developer in Cambridge. I'm an Old though, just turned 42 this week.

Edit: obviously my health insurance costs are £0 and I get about 25 vacation days (which are separate from sick days) because :britain:, at least.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Roughly 58k (Canuckian). 1/2 of a 2-man team at an industrial site for a multi-billion dollar company. Network wrangler, computer toucher and user teacher. 24/7/365 on call. Also in the middle of nowhere so not a lot of options (that aren't remote, and I did that for 3 years and it nearly loving killed me).

Officially 3 weeks of vacation, but my bosses-boss is cool and knows that we bust our rear end, so I probably get an extra 5-10 days a year worth of days off that he doesn't care about as long as shits getting done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Security Engineer/SME in the Greater Chicago area. 100% work from home. $118K base salary with 10% flat bonus split out and paid quarterly (can slide up and down based on company performance) + discretional merit bonuses. 5 weeks PTO (unfortunately Sick Time is lumped in with it) with generous comp time policy.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 17, 2019

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

$83k a year, good pension and health benefits, 18 days PTO as a network administrator, doing pretty much nothing but Cisco route/switch work for local government org. 15 minute commute and I love the work.

If people are tired of burning themselves out in the corporate world I'd highly recommend state/local government jobs. They are not all the super slow paced, do nothing jobs you hear about.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fluppet posted:

65K GBP perm public sector devops 27 days holidays and all overtime is at least time and half 0 on call

Location matters a bit here...65k in London goes a lot less far than 65k in Grimsby :shobon:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 17, 2019

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

I went from a 30k€ job as all-around Windows person (AD admin, WSUS, WDS/WAIK, HelpDesk) at a hospital to 52k working with Ansible on Linux for a software company. This is in Germany with 30 days PTO, 40 hour work week, 3 months notice if my employer wants to lay me off.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

DroneRiff posted:

Ditto. 37.5K GBP here as a Senior Application/Informatics Analyst for a major EHR in a South East (not London) NHS hospital. In plus side, 33 days PTO plus public holidays.

You on band 7? Mines even worse, it includes London weighting and Oncall as well. I agree with CLAM DOWN though, gently caress private companies and working to make some rich piece of poo poo even richer. It really sucks to have to choose between poo poo pay or that.

HalloKitty posted:

Wage stagnation with ever-spiralling property prices is the situation in the UK, it sucks. I'm not living there any more, but I still get emails from recruiters with offers that would have been only OK 10-12 years ago, no joke

Where did you emigrate too? I've been really considering Australia. There's not much here any more and I just want to be warm again!!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

$58k/yr working at a university. I'm also getting the equivalent of like 8k a year in tuition credits so that factors into compensation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chin up everything sucks posted:

I'm right outside of San Jose and I'm making 10k more than you as a Sr. Helldesk guy.

The lovely MSP I am actually employed by caught me desperate and has been loving me for years. That'll change this year.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

$95k/year, 6% bonus target, 3 weeks vacation, decent benefits, 401k matching, etc. I do network engineering and ops on IBM mainframes, with a bit of software development.

Edit: I'm in Michigan

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 17, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for sharing, goons! It's good to know what's out there. Maybe I should move to Texas....

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

$90k/yr, 4+ weeks of PDO, 401k match, ok healthcare, super flexible hours and an amazing work/life balance, central florida area. Title is End User Computing but essentially my job is jack of all trades IT at a hospital on a team of 4. We handle everything from the lowest level of resetting doctors passwords and imaging PCs to managing the phone system and local network/servers. We have corporate overlords that handle application support and the larger scale network/sys admin type duties. Gotta admit, it's a cake job and I have a 5 minute drive to work everyday. I have some room for growth here on the local team. I came from the corporate team where there is more room for growth but my work/life balance is so great here I have 0 desire to go back to corporate.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Manager, architect. Paid in opportunity. I get to work from home, largely set my own schedule, and do pretty much whatever I want. You can pry this job from my dead hands.

CloFan posted:

48k, Director of Infrastructure at a pubic college. I could be making a shitton more if I were willing to relocate, but I'm happy where I'm at :shrug:
Even if you don't want to relocate, which I respect, please at least get a little something more.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 17, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Man, all this wage chat makes me feel like poo poo. £34k a year in the NHS as a senior network engineer. Imagine being able to own a house :negative:

Your wage, your ability to own property, is not reflective whatsoever of your value as a person. You are making a difference in people's lives, even if indirectly.

This is one reason I despise these dickwaving derails. Goons gonna brag wherever possible, I guess.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your wage, your ability to own property, is not reflective whatsoever of your value as a person. You are making a difference in people's lives, even if indirectly.

This is one reason I despise these dickwaving derails. Goons gonna brag wherever possible, I guess.
Honestly I was pleased that everyone seemed honest. Whenever people talk salaries, everyone wants to be the big man, so I was expecting to see a lot of salaries north of $150k. Everyone was honest, they just make a decent living.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I find it sort of useful, lets you know what else is out there, helps you compare if youre over or under paid.

I know reading these sort of threads in the past really helped motivate me to start studying for certs and try for jobs I didnt think I was qualified for.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

I understand the derision for dickwaving, but I think most people are trying to be tactful about what they make. It is nice to see what other people are making in the thread, but I agree that your wage does not equate your value as a person.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's important to know what ranges are. I would not have made some decisions if I hadn't known what other people are making as it made me think "well I want to make more, but I didnt realize it would be possible outside of X experience or Y role" I was quite content with my 65k year network engineering job until I heard of someone make 120k doing the same poo poo for a different MSP.

But no, wages and/or property do not define a person, I agree with that 100%

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I understand the derision for dickwaving, but I think most people are trying to be tactful about what they make. It is nice to see what other people are making in the thread, but I agree that your wage does not equate your value as a person.

Wages vary so incredibly drastically by location, role, field, organization, often for perfectly legit reasons, that comparing them to randoms from around the world is completely useless. And it pisses me off when people feel hurt or down because of it for absolutely no reason, because it's ridiculous and not something they should be using as a comparison. It's nothing but dickwaving.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, cost of living factors heavily when evaluating wages. 50k is a pittance in downtown LA, but could have you living like a king if you're in a low cost of living area.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd like to propose an actual dick waving contest. Can someone explain how to convert a video to an animated gif?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd like to propose an actual dick waving contest. Can someone explain how to convert a video to an animated gif?

Error: Filesize too small

vvv owned

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well in your case, you'll first need to buy a macro lens

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lol, what started this was someone saying it wasn't polite to share their salary and someone calling them out saying they should because that keeps wages down, and now we've turned the corner and we're calling everyone out because of dick waving. Can't win.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
The general rule of thumb I handle is: if your mortage/rent exceed 40% of your monthly expenses, you either get underpaid or your house is overvalued.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://twitter.com/aaronzbest/status/1111600135115550720

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

The general rule of thumb I handle is: if your mortage/rent exceed 40% of your monthly expenses, you either get underpaid or your house is overvalued.

The Canadian new mortgage rules put the limit at 34% with a 5.14% interest rate (that is, at 5.14% interest rate what you would pay is less than 34% of your salary, even if you get a better rate from your bank.). If your mortgage would be more than 34% then get a better salary or buy a cheaper house.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

I mean, there are official numbers for this that vary by country and location. It's not a rule of thumb, you'll outright be disqualified for loans/mortgages in some cases.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Volguus posted:

The Canadian new mortgage rules put the limit at 34% with a 5.14% interest rate (that is, at 5.14% interest rate what you would pay is less than 34% of your salary, even if you get a better rate from your bank.). If your mortgage would be more than 34% then get a better salary or buy a cheaper house.
Even at 34%, which is actually right about where I'm at, it's impossible to do all the things I want. I can't afford mortgage, day care, 401k, college and vacations at the same time. I realize I am coming off pretty ignorant compared to someone living on 30k/yr, but I'm just illustrating that it's not as though you're home free if you're only paying 34% of your income on housing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Volguus posted:

How is that even possible for some folks with the property values there being what they are in some of the metro areas? Toronto brimming with 300K a year jobs so people can afford a house there?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

How is that even possible for some folks with the property values there being what they are in some of the metro areas? Toronto brimming with 300K a year jobs so people can afford a house there?

It's not possible. We don't own, we rent. You cannot buy here without a windfall, inheritance, or rich relatives/partners/families/etc.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not possible. We don't own, we rent. You cannot buy here without a windfall, inheritance, or rich relatives/partners/families/etc.

Please accept this sad high-five I'm sending from New York City.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Not to get too D&D about it but how the gently caress is it possible that :canada: looked at the U.S. Housing Bubble and went :hmmyes:?

Or are property value increases in Toronto just 90% Chinese money like it’s supposed to be in Vancouver?

:gop:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I assume it's like US tuition prices. There's money to be made. Set the price as high as possible while filling every seat or every home.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lifehack: Work remote for a big city salary while living it up in a lower COL area.

Still have this thread in my bookmarks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818260

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, there are official numbers for this that vary by country and location. It's not a rule of thumb, you'll outright be disqualified for loans/mortgages in some cases.

So far in any discussion regarding this online, the 40% number is on the higher end of the scale, but it does check out. I am talking to a lot of white middle class people of course, this is the internet after all.

Volguus posted:

If your mortgage would be more than 34% then get a better salary or buy a cheaper house.

There's plenty of situations where the solution "buy a new house" is the worst kind of advice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Schadenboner posted:

Not to get too D&D about it but how the gently caress is it possible that :canada: looked at the U.S. Housing Bubble and went :hmmyes:?

Landlords saw a way to make more money and took it, why is that surprising?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My life goal is to have remote work while van living on a beach

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ayup. Even outside of the big centers is hosed. I'm 7 hours out of TO in a lovely little town, and my place cost me way too much. But when we moved, rent was obscene, and any places under $200k were shitholes.
But our property taxes/cost of living are obscenely high. Wife's getting sick of her job, so hopefully we'll be moving soon. If we can hold on 2-3 years, there's some huge job creation happening, housing is already scarce, and we might make out alright.

But, I live 30 seconds from the snowmobile trails and I can go riding all the time, so life's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
130k a year base + 13k bonus as a Senior embedded Linux systems engineer with a focus on InfoSec working remote for a company in LA.

75k extra (After taxes) from consulting on the side on average.

It's not too bad of a gig. :shrug: