Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i think they made a deliberate choice for certain episodes to thematize the individual/small group psychology of survival. no need for many zombies on a certain level if that is the objective. ep 4 is almost experimental in how it subverts conventions in pursuit of this. it can't be a simple budget problem bcz a couple later eps are huge, even self-indulgent, gorefests, that are excessive on production values if anything.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I really enjoyed the school episode. So creepy and tense. I loved the entire atmosphere of it, wandering the hallways, checking the rooms. Weird sounds.

Really fun episode!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I liked how beard goons super power is that he's a colossal gently caress up moron

that was probably my favourite part. maybe the diner episode, when they try to kill the two zombies out there and manage to just fail so hard, lmao

it was kind of annoying how they never really were scavenging weapons and stuff, or how they never really picked up on going for their heads, but eh.

show still blows TWD out the water for serious zombo shows, like wow

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

I'm only 3 episodes in but so far it looks like a low low budget movie stretched across 6 hours.

Pretty much. I binged it in 1-1/2 days so didn't spend a week between episodes complaining about stupid stuff. And the last episode makes up for some of the slower pace of the middle.

Zane posted:

i think they made a deliberate choice for certain episodes to thematize the individual/small group psychology of survival. no need for many zombies on a certain level if that is the objective. ep 4 is almost experimental in how it subverts conventions in pursuit of this. it can't be a simple budget problem bcz a couple later eps are huge, even self-indulgent, gorefests, that are excessive on production values if anything.

A few NPCs talked about an approaching horde. Would have been nice to see it.

Johnny Truant posted:

that was probably my favourite part. maybe the diner episode, when they try to kill the two zombies out there and manage to just fail so hard, lmao

it was kind of annoying how they never really were scavenging weapons and stuff, or how they never really picked up on going for their heads, but eh.

After Denim Jacket Dude had been in both a school and a supermarket without even thinking about finding a weapon, and ran out to the bus, I started cheering for the zombies to put him down.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

After Denim Jacket Dude had been in both a school and a supermarket without even thinking about finding a weapon, and ran out to the bus, I started cheering for the zombies to put him down.
seth rogan dude (my own nickname for him) symbolically embodies the disorientation, smallness, and despair that we would all experience in the same circumstances. every moment of his laughable bumblefuckery is part of a deeply meaningful dramatic performance!

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 15, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That guy looks identical to a friend of mine so it was a fun ride

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Truant posted:

That guy looks identical to a friend of mine so it was a fun ride

Well now you have an idea how he'd go, you can strike him from your apocalypse team.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zane posted:

seth rogan dude (my own nickname for him) symbolically embodies the disorientation, smallness, and despair that we would all experience in the same circumstances. every moment of his laughable bumblefuckery is part of a deeply meaningful dramatic performance!

Same but Zach Galifianakis instead.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

Well, TBF when he did get a decent zombie killing weapon, he immediately hosed up, so there is that.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

To be fair, I'd probably fail as hard myself. I'm but a simple office worker, if zombies happened I would cower in fear, make bad impulsive decisions and get eaten. Also, having never even touched an ax I wouldn't know how to aim or swing one without hitting my own leg probably.

So, he was very realistic to me!

edit :

Binary Logic posted:

Also "Hey neat-o, check out these big loud kettledrums"

Yeah, what the hell was up with that?

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 15, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tehdas posted:

Well, TBF when he did get a decent zombie killing weapon, he immediately hosed up, so there is that.

That bit of physical humour reminded me of Z Nation. Also "Hey neat-o, check out these big loud kettledrums"

Johnny Truant posted:

Produced by The Asylum, which is known for their "mockbuster" movies and this was more similar to FTWD than TWD, even down to having Young Madison search for and reunite with her daughter, and a shady but street-smart black man who escapes being in custody and might know where some 'loot' is hidden.

Has a 2nd season been announced?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 15, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope so but I kinda hope it starts with those people standing in the open to get chomped immediately and they change to another city

Was it based in Alberta? I couldn't figure out the license plates at all

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought the first 5-6 episodes were really good and then it started to go downhill once they got guns. The season finale felt like TWD territory...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The editing of it was so weird after they got out of the diner. Five people were struggling to take down two zombies, and suddenly the next episode they're raiding guns at a sex/dance club?

By the end, I felt like I had missed an episode or like, scenes were missing. The first five episodes were alright.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Me too! I was thinking I missed something. Who were those people, how did they know of them and the location of the guns? It looked like that one lady knew that guy there as well?

It was confusing.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
It was the place the latino couple were talking about in the diner, they specifically said that they can get weapons there. Presumably they were there previously.

The series is mixing in groups which appear to be getting a handle on the whole zombie apocalypse thing (ie. the ppl in the suburbs at the start), and those who are well settled in (the school kids, the base they raided).
A bit inconsistent.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

John F Bennett posted:

Me too! I was thinking I missed something. Who were those people, how did they know of them and the location of the guns? It looked like that one lady knew that guy there as well?

It was confusing.

Don't we all know the location of the local heavily fortified dance club-meth lab-weapons armory running on it own independent electric supply?!

One of my favourite parts:

Velez: We need to head east for safety, that will take us to the highway.
Sun: (speaks really fast in Japanese)
Velez: Yes that's a good idea but I know a better route.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Korean, actually

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

John F Bennett posted:

Korean, actually

joesonghabnida

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

It's an honest mistake to make.

My version was subtitled in English and it said something like : 'Korean : .. " so I'm cheating.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/Ng7beKn.gifv

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

The editing of it was so weird after they got out of the diner. Five people were struggling to take down two zombies, and suddenly the next episode they're raiding guns at a sex/dance club?

By the end, I felt like I had missed an episode or like, scenes were missing. The first five episodes were alright.

It felt like the last 3 episodes were done by a completely different set of people. Even the characters seem different, they pretty much murder an entire group to get guns which was a really weird followup to the previous episode where people were debating sacrificing one person for their direct survival. The last episode did have some interesting stuff going on with the friendly fire and utter chaos but the set up was so... weird.

I did like the series overall though, with the different groups meeting/splitting up and dying off constantly. Season 2 should be set at the same time as S1 and be the story of the stadium people, although that was also confusing with the place appearing mostly empty?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I guess it's kind of a weird show in hindsight. I still enjoyed it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I assume the stadium was just the location that they told people they were going. They probably knew anyone not let on the trucks was going to try to go there anyway. Either that or they already evacuated and cleaned up really well like good boy scouts

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There was also talk of the zombies walking over each other like a bridge, which is like in WWZ.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This feels a lot closer to WWZ than the actual movie

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I really liked Black Summer for the first 7 episodes, it was like the perfect antidote to The Walking Dead and Z Nation etc.

The finale felt like I'd chosen the wrong path on Black Mirror episode though.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Seriously though, did you all get the ending where it was only like 20 minutes long and they were under water?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Binary Logic posted:

Not everyone

lol I haven't watched GoT in quite a while, they have Holy Avenger swords in it now?

For content, I just watched the back half of this season and LOL at killing Henry instead of Ezekiel

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 24, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

lol I haven't watched GoT in quite a while, they have Holy Avenger swords in it now?

For content, I just watched the back half of this season and LOL at killing Henry instead of Ezekiel

The coming ep of GoT will feature a zombie horde in be the longest battle scene ever filmed.
Worth checking out if you're into that sort of thing.

For content: since there's not much going on in TWD world. One nice benefit of being a known zombie fanatic is getting this for a birthday present:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, that is awesome and as a cribbage player, I kind of want it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

So last episode the Kingdom was prospering to the point where they could have a fair and movie nights.. Then the next episode it's so deteriorated that it needs to be completely evacuated?

In previous episodes it was shown that everything in the Kingdom were held together with duct tape and that the fair were last chance they had to keep things going.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I was watching the 2 new GOT episodes and was disappointed. But after watching Episode 12, 13 and 14 of TWD Season 9, GoT is stellar compared to this snoozefest.
We stopped after 10 minutes in episode 15 because it’s annoyingly boring. Pure trash.

Will something happen the rest of Season 9? This Show is only talking, it’s boring and it is about groups discussing what to to next and helps for what? Charakter development? :bang:
How did you guys watch this and not fall asleep?!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr.PayDay posted:

I was watching the 2 new GOT episodes and was disappointed. But after watching Episode 12, 13 and 14 of TWD Season 9, GoT is stellar compared to this snoozefest.
We stopped after 10 minutes in episode 15 because it’s annoyingly boring. Pure trash.

Will something happen the rest of Season 9? This Show is only talking, it’s boring and it is about groups discussing what to to next and helps for what? Charakter development? :bang:

Uhhhh season is done dude

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr.PayDay posted:

I fell asleep almost every ep

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

I fell asleep almost every ep

I usually watch each new ep twice and listen to at least one recap podcast.

AND IN OTHER NEWS:

quote:

The Walking Dead 3 Has Pilot Script

That new spinoff, simply being referred to as The Walking Dead 3, is being kept mostly a mystery at this point. We know that it will revolve around to young women who were essentially raised in the world after the walker outbreak. This show is aiming to target the next generation of Walking Dead fans 10 years after the original series premiered. Although things are being kept under wraps, AMC CEO Josh Sapan is now offering a little bit of a production update. The pilot script has now been completed, though a premiere date for the series is still TBD.

"With its focus on the next generation of survivors led by two young female protagonists, we think this third series is a perfect gateway to advance the narrative of this universe in ways that are multi-generational, fresh and unexpected," Sapan told The Hollywood Reporter.

When the series was officially given the go-ahead in April, it was revealed that the first season would consist of 10 episodes and was set to begin production in Virginia this summer. The Walking Dead chief content officer Scott Gimple will serve as executive producer while Matt Negrete will act as showrunner.

“Showing audiences an unseen pocket of The Walking Dead Universe steeped in a new mythology is a very cool way to celebrate a ‘Decade of the Dead’ on TV and over fifteen years of Robert Kirkman’s brilliant comic,” Gimple said in a statement. “Matt Negrete is one of the best writer-producers in TWD’s long history -- I'm thrilled to be working beside him to tell stories unlike we’ve seen before, taking our first step into an even larger world.”

“I’m beyond excited to be a part of this new show set in The Walking Dead Universe,” added Negrete. “Writing and producing for the original series has been the job of a lifetime and I’m honored to be working with Scott and all the fine Dead folks at AMC in this new capacity. I can’t wait for the fans of the franchise to see what we’ve been cooking up!”

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

AND IN OTHER NEWS:

hahaha this is going to be so loving bad.

set in Virginia again, lol

:rip:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

AND IN OTHER NEWS:

Ugh...

I don't understand why they think that setting a program many years past the original zombie outbreak is ever a good idea. I even found the whole 5 year time skip in TWD to be just utterly ridiculous.

My problem is that they definitely the zombies as actual walking corpses and so after 5 years, I feel like they would be all just liquefied goo. Hell, if the bodies followed the standard decomposition process they would start to turn into liquid goo about a month or so after they died, but I'm willing to let that slide for some time under the pretense that the zombie virus (or whatever it is) somehow keeps some of the body from decomposing for a time. However, I still don't think a zombie would 'live' for 5+ years.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Johnny Truant posted:

hahaha this is going to be so loving bad.

set in Virginia again, lol

:rip:

Hey man, it just says 'starts production in Virginia', they could set it anywhere :rolleye:

In slightly related news, HBO (or Hulu, but I think it's HBO) has a Ruben Blades documentary up. It's called Yo No Me Llamo Ruben Blades (Ruben Blades Is Not My Name). I haven't watched it yet, but It's in my queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i got $5 on this new show pulling a Fear The Walking dead and saying "we're going to show THIS aspect of the zombie apocalypse!" then have it glossed over in five minutes and be back to lameass greywashed forest backgrounds with people bickering over how they have to do this, how we can't do this, but no we have to do this, but no we can't do this...

LadyPictureShow posted:

In slightly related news, HBO (or Hulu, but I think it's HBO) has a Ruben Blades documentary up. It's called Yo No Me Llamo Ruben Blades (Ruben Blades Is Not My Name). I haven't watched it yet, but It's in my queue.

oh this sounds tight, can we just make this a topic change from TWD to Ruben Blades