Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What if the drive is still there but they cover it with plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

Well now I'm rooting for this

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I could almost see this happening because in a hosed-up way it turns out to be more cost-effective.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The crazy bastards they finally did it. A fanless Xbox. Not even a single fan, even here in the sad thread

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Are they really going to launch at that price? I figured that would be MSRP and they'd be 50 bucks cheaper out-the-door, or same price + extra controller.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FunOne posted:

Are they really going to launch at that price? I figured that would be MSRP and they'd be 50 bucks cheaper out-the-door, or same price + extra controller.

Who knows, yet makes sense based on how they price their enterprise products. In short, one would have to be an expert to figure out the pricing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There will probably be a black friday deal with no games bundled that goes below 150.
The normal s went for 189 on bf not long ago

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah they push it out now, get a few extra bucks off people willing to pick up for whatever reason one prior to the holidays, then they soft drop the MSRP and heavily discount it in the holidays. The plan might also be to retire the regular S by then, or at least post holidays.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The regular s is already discontinued according to Amazon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't buy the Xbox One S, lol. The system is terrible for any AAA title released in the last year.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Don't buy the Xbox One S, lol. The system is terrible for any AAA title released in the last year.

Imagine wanting to play any AAA title released in the last year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Imagine wanting to play any AAA title released in the last year

Re2

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only reason people should buy an S is that it's a fairly reasonably priced UHD Blu-ray pla....... oh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is even the point of the discless one s? So you can play one of the seven 4K movies on Netflix?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The point of a discless S is that it's $129. Microsoft apparently missed the memo on that part though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sony announced some of their next gen plans, with a new console apparently landing in 2020, and I suspect we'll hear similarly from Xbox at E3, so might as well wait until then.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

Sony announced some of their next gen plans, with a new console apparently landing in 2020, and I suspect we'll hear similarly from Xbox at E3, so might as well wait until then.

Really seems like Sony heard something and wanted to get out in front of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sony's plan is 8K and raytracing + some magic SSD that's faster than desktop computers. There's absolutely no way the PS5 isn't retailing for $800.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Really seems like Sony heard something and wanted to get out in front of it.

Yeah.

For reference here's what Sony announced about the design from Mark Cerny, I would assume the Xbox Two would adopt a similar strategy:

8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen
Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU
Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade
Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC
Technically supports 8K
Physical Media support
Backwards Compatible at least to the previous gen
Four years in development so far

Apparently some VR improvements while maintaining compatibility with current sets.

Xbox is definitely going to throw its hat into the gaming-over-the-cloud space to compete with PSNow and Stadia.

Especially if they launch with similar timing I could see both consoles being far closer than any prior generation, with the differences boiling down to the button prompt icons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cojawfee posted:

I can buy an Xbox One S with Battlefield V for $232. Or I can buy one with less stuff in it for $250. Does Microsoft know that you can't just make a big announcement and act excited, you actually have to do something exciting?

*looks at notes that only say E3 2013*

mmmmmmmm no

univbee posted:

Especially if they launch with similar timing I could see both consoles being far closer than any prior generation, with the differences boiling down to the button prompt icons.

lol sounds like great news for the company with no exclusive properties worth buying besides Forza.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 17, 2019

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Sony's plan is 8K and raytracing + some magic SSD that's faster than desktop computers. There's absolutely no way the PS5 isn't retailing for $800.

My suspicion:

- 8K will be a "technicality" in much the same way the base PS4 theoretically supported 4K (e.g. Trine dev said as much back in 2014), I have my doubts they'll go full balls-to-the-wall with 4 HDMI outs for compatibility with the 8K TVs you can get in Japan if you have five figgies (in USD, not Yen).

- Raytracing will probably also be a technicality, in much the same way that Nvidia backported support for it to some of their 10-series cards. You're probably not doing "full" raytracing except maybe at like 1800c30 or some such.

- Fast SSD is actually not a stretch, assuming you're bare-metal installing it.

My hunch is that their fast SSD is probably some form of cache space and there's a traditional spinny for permanent storage. Maybe games will do combo installs where some fast data goes to the SSD portion and less sensitive data like pre-rendered cutscenes go to the HDD.

I mean you can't really continue rocking a 5400rpm drive on a balls-to-the-wall system with 4K textures and the like, moving away from that to SSD was inevitable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol sounds like great news for the company with no exclusive properties worth buying besides Forza.

And who even knows what is going on with Forza now. Turn-10 is skipping this year and going for mobile Forza that is just a reskin of an already existing game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://express.google.com/u/0/promo/sales-deals?ved=0CDIQ7lQoAWoXChMIlPj15rTX4QIVBxcKAx2WCgRJEF4

Xbox One X $299.70 on Google Express with two coupons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I knew Microsoft couldn't resist going for 100% on tentpole franchises burned to the ground

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Spinnydisks don’t really drop in price as much as they increase in capacity.

Flash memory on the other hand has been dropping in price by quite a lot over the years and can drop in price over time for the same capacity. For example, you can buy a 32GB chip of flash memory for $3 right now.

The SSD part of that announcement was pretty believable for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Instant Sunrise posted:

For example, you can buy a 32GB chip of flash memory for $3 right now.

The SSD part of that announcement was pretty believable for me.
SSDs aren't flash memory though.

I have no doubt next gen systems will ship with SSDs, but you're taking the cheapest component of the system and swapping it out with probably the most expensive. The next round of consoles are going to be considerably more expensive because of it.

Unless they try some fusion drive trickery but honestly with the install size of games these days that seems a bit daunting to get working properly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It is just straight up impossible that the PS5 will have an SSD faster than you can get for a desktop or even a laptop. NVMe drives have been here for years and Sony definitely doesn't have a secret SSD factory that can beat commercially available products for media speed.

It might at most be "it's faster than sticking an old SSD into your PC from 2010 that only has SATA drive support".

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

But not all SSDs are created alike. As Cerny points out, “I have an SSD in my laptop, and when I want to change from Excel to Word I can wait 15 seconds.”

It might actually have more to do with the fact that the laptop of the guy in charge of creating the PS5 is apparently infested with malware.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

It might actually have more to do with the fact that the laptop of the guy in charge of creating the PS5 is apparently infested with malware.

This fits with the hacking history.

Mark Cerny says price "will be appealing in light of its advanced feature set", whatever that means.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

American McGay posted:

A screen probably popped up yesterday with a midi version of a Prodigy song playing that said "Send us 2000 dollars in bitcoin or we release the basic specs for the PS5 to the internet" and he was like gently caress that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Forza seems kinda done, honestly. The kind of game FM was was basically perfected with 4, and on the Horizon end of things they have this weird tendency to make terrible location choices like the UK.

Anyone who actually cares about realistic racecars is better catered to by GT Sport and all the dorkass poo poo on PC, and normal people don't really care about racing games anymore. If they want to drive something they'll go run from the cops in a freeroamer or something.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

SSDs aren't flash memory though.

I have no doubt next gen systems will ship with SSDs, but you're taking the cheapest component of the system and swapping it out with probably the most expensive. The next round of consoles are going to be considerably more expensive because of it.

Unless they try some fusion drive trickery but honestly with the install size of games these days that seems a bit daunting to get working properly.

Yeah a fusion drive or cache drive situation sounds too complicated to work well, it'd have weird compromises that both devs and players need to put up with. My bet is consoles will ship with the largest SSD they can include for under $100 at launch, probably just 512 GB, and they'll be easy to upgrade so people can take advantage of cheaper SSDs as prices come down. Seems smarter for a console with a long lifespan to plan for cheaper SSDs rather than burden it with a complex cache system that won't make economic sense in a few years.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Inside Gaming took one apart, it's literally just an S without a hard drive

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Without a hard drive would be even more unfortunate :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So it's a Xbox One S Superleggera. Pay more for weight savings.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

on the Horizon end of things they have this weird tendency to make terrible location choices like the UK.

Maybe they're putting off Japan till the fifth installment so they can call it Forza Horizon Go

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

And who even knows what is going on with Forza now. Turn-10 is skipping this year and going for mobile Forza that is just a reskin of an already existing game.

And playground is B-teaming horizon series to take a crack at fable or ???

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

American McGay posted:

The only reason people should buy an S is that it's a fairly reasonably priced UHD Blu-ray pla....... oh.

It's not even, anymore. It was when it came out, but I bought a stand alone LG player about a year ago for $75.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They should have made a version that was just the player and no Xbox instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

They should have made a version that was just the player and no Xbox instead.

UHD-Bluray addon drive! :v: