Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/1118246557047033857

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. he looks like wee man from jackass

e: no, that’s not right. maybe it’s bam? he looks like somebody from jackass

President Beep fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 17, 2019

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

President Beep posted:

he's on his way to looking like Ryan Dunn for sure

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

wow sure sounds like californians are bad at handling street addresses

this wasn’t California

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

this wasn’t California

i wasnt talking to you, ignorance stymie.

i like how he thinks hes a genius for not eating

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1118275773452836864

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

As an individual who earned a bachelor degree entitled, The History and Science of Astrology, I think that I know quite a bit more about the system of astrology that uses the 12 SIGNS of the TROPICAL ZODIAC than the average person or even the average astrologer. I earned my degree through the Bachelor's Degree with Individual Concentration program at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 1975. I have studied astrology, astronomy, politics and history for 50 years Most people are sadly uniformed as to what astrology actually is. The tropical zodiac is the one which is most widely used in Western culture. It is based upon the Ptolemaic system of astrology/astronomy that persisted from the 2nd century C.E. up until the time of Kepler and Galileo. Kepler practiced astrology, as did the alchemist and physicist, Sir Isaac Newton. An esteemed astrologer once told to me that although there are about 250,000 astrologers in America, only 400 of them can actually call themselves astrologers. Only a handful of astrologers predicted Trump's victory in 2106. I predicted his victory in July of 2016 using astrological methodology. I think that these superficial astrology-apps will be very entertaining. Yet, if they are taken too seriously, they could also be dangerous. I stopped giving astrology advice over two decades ago. Most people who came to me for advice should have been seeking psychological help. I was and am not qualified to give therapy, so I ceased practicing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think astrology might be a sort of anthropologically embedded folkway about the effects on child psychological development of seasonal variations in maternal nutrition in late hunter-gatherer/early-agricultural/pastoralist modes of production, to be honest?

mystes
May 31, 2006

BMan posted:

As an individual who earned a bachelor degree entitled, The History and Science of Astrology, I think that I know quite a bit more about the system of astrology that uses the 12 SIGNS of the TROPICAL ZODIAC than the average person or even the average astrologer. I earned my degree through the Bachelor's Degree with Individual Concentration program at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 1975. I have studied astrology, astronomy, politics and history for 50 years Most people are sadly uniformed as to what astrology actually is. The tropical zodiac is the one which is most widely used in Western culture. It is based upon the Ptolemaic system of astrology/astronomy that persisted from the 2nd century C.E. up until the time of Kepler and Galileo. Kepler practiced astrology, as did the alchemist and physicist, Sir Isaac Newton. An esteemed astrologer once told to me that although there are about 250,000 astrologers in America, only 400 of them can actually call themselves astrologers. Only a handful of astrologers predicted Trump's victory in 2106. I predicted his victory in July of 2016 using astrological methodology. I think that these superficial astrology-apps will be very entertaining. Yet, if they are taken too seriously, they could also be dangerous. I stopped giving astrology advice over two decades ago. Most people who came to me for advice should have been seeking psychological help. I was and am not qualified to give therapy, so I ceased practicing.
I was really hoping this was from Hacker News when this got posted yesterday but it's apparently a comment that was posted directly on the NYT site.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Schadenboner posted:

I think astrology might be a sort of anthropologically embedded folkway about the effects on child psychological development of seasonal variations in maternal nutrition in late hunter-gatherer/early-agricultural/pastoralist modes of production, to be honest?

so you're saying there's some kind of... biological truth to it?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

Only a handful of astrologers predicted Trump's victory in 2106.

Do tell.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

aardvaard posted:

so you're saying there's some kind of... biological truth to it?

Like, kids born in March had mothers who were pregnant in winter, maybe the amount and composition of food availability does something to neural development? I mean, what foods are naturally rich in folic acid?

But this system probably never had much more than very slight predictive power and one of the major efforts of civilization over the last 10,000 years has been (at least attempting) to smooth out the food supply so it’s probably gotten much less predictive over time so at this point it’s just a historical curiosity?

:shrug:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i prefer asstrology

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ah, so the complex facets of human personality can be entirely explained by what kind of food their mother was eating

oh, you broke up with your girlfriend? of course you did, your mother ate too much fish.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
nobody tell this guy about the southern hemisphere, lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jabor posted:

different constellations, duh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

sign of the southern crosstalk

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

President Beep posted:

bam is looking much worse now than you might've imagined

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Schadenboner posted:

Like, kids born in March had mothers who were pregnant in winter, maybe the amount and composition of food availability does something to neural development? I mean, what foods are naturally rich in folic acid?

But this system probably never had much more than very slight predictive power and one of the major efforts of civilization over the last 10,000 years has been (at least attempting) to smooth out the food supply so it’s probably gotten much less predictive over time so at this point it’s just a historical curiosity?

:shrug:

this might be the least plausible just-so story I've ever seen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wow, taking a cold shower and meditating in silence slightly less than once a month. such incredible asceticism

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

roses are red
pork is haram...

all of our uncles
killed children in 'nam

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

bam is looking much worse now than you might've imagined

i thought this was a cute way of saying he's dead... but he's not somehow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

wow, taking a cold shower and meditating in silence slightly less than once a month. such incredible asceticism

if he took a vow of silence and hosed off to live in a cave, the world would be a measurably better place, certainly.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1118342413905358853

while not specifically about tech this has a real tech bubble mood imho

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Sagebrush posted:

no it’s dumber than that he apparently goes to Myanmar, where nothing bad is going on, and meditates silently for ten days, then brags about it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol if you think he didn’t go there do to genocide specifically

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao the bbc just had an interview with ecuador's president (i think?) about kicking out assflange and he was like "he literally smeared his poo poo all over the walls of our embassy and got into fights with our staff" and then the reporter was like "some people say it's because he leaked this photo of you in a hotel room eating LOBSTER at a time when you were introducing austerity measures!" and the guy just went "it was my birthday :saddowns:"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phobeste posted:

no it’s dumber than that he apparently goes to Myanmar, where nothing bad is going on, and meditates silently for ten days, then brags about it

i 100% guarantee he got the idea from seinfeld and he thinks he's j. peterman

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Heads of mission live loving well and anyone surprised by this is probably not worth listening to

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

lmao the bbc just had an interview with ecuador's president (i think?) about kicking out assflange and he was like "he literally smeared his poo poo all over the walls of our embassy and got into fights with our staff" and then the reporter was like "some people say it's because he leaked this photo of you in a hotel room eating LOBSTER at a time when you were introducing austerity measures!" and the guy just went "it was my birthday :saddowns:"

You can get lobster at McDonald's in some parts of the world. Truly a rare and excessive delicacy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

You can get lobster at McDonald's in some parts of the world. Truly a rare and excessive delicacy

yah they had seasonal lobster rolls in maine when i was growing up. i guess they still do?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
i wonder if stephen king knows where to get a good lobster roll

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/notrevenant/status/1118340836310360065

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phobeste posted:

and more importantly, brags about tracking everything on his Apple Watch

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fart simpson posted:

yah they had seasonal lobster rolls in maine when i was growing up. i guess they still do?

they also do it as far down the coast as providence these days.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

depends on the code used surely? odds on him doing this correctly seem pretty low though https://www.fbalpha.com/license/

most of the ports appear to have separate copyright assignments in the headers. did capcom need more than one target for this though?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
did you all know......that rhode island isn’t even an island......

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

yeah. I think it depends on the market price

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you're in maine and eating a lobster roll, i've no idea why you would have one at mcd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its for tourists