Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Thanks guys, trains and coal liquefaction to solve my petroleum gas problems are both fantastic ideas!

I initially dismissed trains because it seemed convoluted and silly to transport from the bottom of the bus to the top but then I realized that's exactly why I should do it. I also have train infrastructure at both locations already so it would be easiest. I should also think about refining offsite or start using trains to bring in oil to my refinery.

Coal liquefaction is cool but pretty complex to set up. I already use it for dedicated solid fuel production and I need to double it because rocket fuel is starting to get hungry as I scale up rockets. I have something like 50 million coal nearby but I would probably want to build the setup in that screenshot offsite and multiply it by 9 or 16. This is an excellent long term solution.

Edit: Megabase construction is endless! I have been plugging away at it for several weeks and my todo list just keeps on growing. I need to scale up power, add 4 lanes of green circuits and add 2 lanes of plastic before doubling red and purple circuits. I also have plans for offsite iron and copper smelting and now offsite plastic.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RVWinkle posted:

I have something like 50 million coal nearby but I would probably want to build the setup in that screenshot offsite and multiply it by 9 or 16. This is an excellent long term solution.

The screenshot is part of a larger complex that makes red circuits and then loads them onto a train, I just specifically screenshot a piece of the plastic production to show how it works. It's setup almost exactly like the solid fuel liquefaction that you already have, but instead of cracking light to solid it cracks light to petroleum and then adds the plastic piece.

Since you already have the coal at a liquefaction complex, it's really quite simple. I added the tanks because I like to be able to easily monitor levels from the map view when I was setting it up, and then I just copied it after I was happy. I tuned it using modules to produce slightly too much heavy oil, which is collected in that tank which is connected to the pump controlling an extra heavy-light cracker which isn't part of the normal coal->solid fuel setup. That switched pump to the extra heavy cracking plant is the only thing in that setup that's got any sort of switching on it at all, everything else is just always on unless the plastic backs up, in which case it just stops and sits until the demand for plastic resumes.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

SkunkDuster posted:

1. Is there a way to get more accurate counts of items? For example, if I hook a chest up to a telephone pole, and I have 2635 copper in the chest, the icon on the pole will say 2.6K. I would like it to show the exact number. Same with production statistics and electric network info. I would like to see exactly how many solar panels and accumulators I have instead of it being rounded to the nearest 100.

A low tech vanilla solution is input your raw input wire to a series of modulus arithmetic nodes. Divide them by a unit of 10, 100, 1000 etc, then output them on multiple wires (or as unique signals).

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

The screenshot is part of a larger complex that makes red circuits and then loads them onto a train

That's a pretty cool idea. The red circuit production pipeline accounts for something like 30% of my base. I think eventually I'll make offsite locations for plastic and copper smelting before haulting them to a separate offsite location dedicated to reds.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

The Locator posted:

4) Coal liquefaction cracking to petroleum to plastic.

Three of these can be fed from a single fully compacted blue belt of coal and of course some water. Produces more than 1 compressed red belt of plastic. I'm sure it could be made much prettier and probably make more using beacons and stuff.

This is what I came up with in about an hour of messing around with Creative mode:

Takes in ~41/coal, ~567/water second (half an offshore pump), and ~33.1MW of power, and outputs ~36 plastic per second.

Blueprint, minus the creative mode stuff.

Calculator link.

Will need to be primed with a single heavy oil barrel, becomes self-sustaining after that.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 15, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

UraniumAnchor posted:

This is what I came up with in about an hour of messing around with Creative mode:

Takes in ~41/coal, ~567/water second (half an offshore pump), and ~33.1MW of power, and outputs ~36 plastic per second.

Blueprint, minus the creative mode stuff.

Calculator link.

Will need to be primed with a single heavy oil barrel, becomes self-sustaining after that.

Nice. Does it really consume so much steam that you need 3 boilers after beaconing the refineries?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I guess I have been using the calculator wrong because I normally put in half as many beacons assuming they hold 2 modules. Anyway, this is a fantastic design! The only improvement I can imagine is that maybe you can add an extra machine to produce solid fuel to feed the boilers.

The Locator posted:

Nice. Does it really consume so much steam that you need 3 boilers after beaconing the refineries?

The calculator says 2.2 so if you stamp down 5 of those then only the first one would need 3 boilers. 5 of these is also enough to make exactly 4 fully compressed belts!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RVWinkle posted:

I guess I have been using the calculator wrong because I normally put in half as many beacons assuming they hold 2 modules. Anyway, this is a fantastic design! The only improvement I can imagine is that maybe you can add an extra machine to produce solid fuel to feed the boilers.

The calculator says 2.2 so if you stamp down 5 of those then only the first one would need 3 boilers. 5 of these is also enough to make exactly 4 fully compressed belts!

I've never really used the calculator before, so I plugged my setup into it and it looks like I should have 1.1 boilers in order to properly supply my setup, but I should also have 3.5 refineries to support the 4 plastic factories. I guess I already knew that the 4th one wasn't online 100% of the time simply by observing it, so I'm sure that I reduce my demand for steam enough that I don't see the shortage since I'm short 10% on steam, but I'm short a bit over 14% on refinery capacity that would be using it.

So far I've been playing simply through observing and tweaking, not using math. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

The Locator posted:

Beaconed like that each refinery needs ~0.71 boilers, so for small setups it's easier to just 1:1 them. Idle boilers don't waste any resources so it's probably not worth the hassle even if you expanded this.

quote:

The only improvement I can imagine is that maybe you can add an extra machine to produce solid fuel to feed the boilers.

Out of curiosity, I checked this, and it does make the coal input drop from 40.1 to 39.4, so it's slightly more efficient. The overall layout can definitely be cleaned up, I just ran out of time to mess with it, I had places to be.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 15, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

RVWinkle posted:

That's basically required for a megabase but it's pretty excessive for winning the game with your first rocket launch. For a starter base you can easily smelt 8 lanes of copper from one train stop. You dedicate half of your copper plates to make 4 belts of green circuits. Then you dedicate two belts of green for red circuits and 1 belt for purple circuits. I'm working on a megabase right now and I have 8 belts of green circuits that I can scale up to 12 with little effort. I still haven't been able to strain 8 belts of green but I'm working on it!

Not entirely sure I see the distinction, I'm assuming on a first playthrough that he already didn't have 8 lanes of copper. If you have 8 full red belts of copper and pull a few full red belts just for circuits, that's basically "make a duplicate smelting setup and dedicate it to circuits." However you arrive there the game really drives you to the conclusion that "circuits need dedicated lines of plates, or at least a gently caress ton of stuff"

I've seen people use kind of 1-2 lines and just refill the line after circuits, that works too if you have sort of a spaghetti trap.

I know even now that 8 lanes of stuff feels excessive, because you can get to basically yellow science with like... 2 if you are just making like ~6-8 AssMachine2 worth of red chips.

I'm working on a multiplayer game right now in expensive mode and it's neat, usually it's really easy to just set up too much copper and forget it but you need SO MUCH for the intermediate products in this game. Gear wheels too. We are constantly, endlessly expanding and running mining patches dry, we have a crazy train network going already and are JUST bootstrapping some gold science in a crate.

A single blue chip takes 128 copper plates

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 15, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
4 Belts of copper and iron each is pretty much the size of the starting ore patches, so it is ideal for the starting base.
Once you have trains and bots, you can copy your smelters and feed the whole new output into making circuits and steel. You probably have to do that if you want to get to space science without everything taking forever.

That gives you a comfy production base in which you can produce all the parts for the real factory which you build somewhere else.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

charity rereg posted:

Not entirely sure I see the distinction, I'm assuming on a first playthrough that he already didn't have 8 lanes of copper. If you have 8 full red belts of copper and pull a few full red belts just for circuits, that's basically "make a duplicate smelting setup and dedicate it to circuits." However you arrive there the game really drives you to the conclusion that "circuits need dedicated lines of plates, or at least a gently caress ton of stuff"

I've seen people use kind of 1-2 lines and just refill the line after circuits, that works too if you have sort of a spaghetti trap.

I know even now that 8 lanes of stuff feels excessive, because you can get to basically yellow science with like... 2 if you are just making like ~6-8 AssMachine2 worth of red chips.

I'm working on a multiplayer game right now in expensive mode and it's neat, usually it's really easy to just set up too much copper and forget it but you need SO MUCH for the intermediate products in this game. Gear wheels too. We are constantly, endlessly expanding and running mining patches dry, we have a crazy train network going already and are JUST bootstrapping some gold science in a crate.

A single blue chip takes 128 copper plates

I still have never properly understood how to merge/top up into a bus setup midway down it so if you have room you can do the ultra spaghetti mode of diverting the entire bus off in one direction, joining it side by side with the new lines, then using a monster 6,7, or 8 to 4 balancer and divert it back down again

I did this before I knew about priority splitters which I've managed to work good enough to avoid looking into it too much more. Is there a recommended method besides these clusterfucks? The other thing I've done is just have 2 of the 4 bus lines end and join 2 new ones right after then balance it or something like that. Maybe the answer is just stop filling the bus from the middle dummy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
With splitter priority I've been pushing all my stuff on the bus to one side which gives me a better idea of where I'm actually pulling it dry so I know where to inject more material if I'm going to.

But since I'm moving to remote outposts for science and rocket launching I probably don't need to worry about that much because I'm not really growing demand at my base anymore.

Splitter priority also makes it really easy to feed your bus, just merge in and set the input priority to the bus so you're only pulling from your second feeder when it's needed.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Today I received a package. From the Czech... Republic? I don't know anyone in the Czech Republic. :iiam:

I didn't know there are official Factorio shirts!

This is the engineer by official cannon. :hmmyes:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

but why...duckface.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Teledahn posted:

I didn't know there are official Factorio shirts!

What does the Factorio t-shirt production pipeline look like? Have they published the blueprint?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I don't see any power armor; this can't be canon!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I appreciate the factorio guy is wearing the official facorio T-shirt

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Willfrey posted:

I appreciate the factorio guy is wearing the official facorio T-shirt

I hadn't noticed that. It's a nice touch.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

But why did you get it? Did you do something with the devs?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

VostokProgram posted:

But why did you get it? Did you do something with the devs?

No, I ordered it. I like the game. Buying the one copy doesn't quite feel enough. That line about not knowing about the shirt was a joke.

There's a link on the main page. https://factorio.com/store

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm not sure when they added this, but now assembler recipes highlight the item that is delaying production in red. It's amazingly helpful.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, my train-focused factory is mostly prepared. Everything is setup so that I can easily expand every part, once I have checked for mistakes and bottlenecks.

I get researching at one blue belt of science, but production will still go down to something like 500/minute once buffers are exhausted.

Then I noticed that there is not enough power. Then I noticed that while I have enough reactor parts, I don't have enough buffers of landfill. When I expand my Stone processing plant, I notice that I need more stone mines. After I build those I see that a neglected part of the rail network is now overloaded.
A fairly unexpected chain of dependencies. Great fun.

At least I can finally plan the purple science plant while my landfill buffers up.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

LLSix posted:

I'm not sure when they added this, but now assembler recipes highlight the item that is delaying production in red. It's amazingly helpful.

Another nice thing they added is that if you are viewing the contents of a chest, you can click a different chest and it will automatically switch to viewing the contents of that one. Used to be that you had to close one inventory window before you could open the next one. Works the same for factories, smelters, etc.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

SkunkDuster posted:

Another nice thing they added is that if you are viewing the contents of a chest, you can click a different chest and it will automatically switch to viewing the contents of that one. Used to be that you had to close one inventory window before you could open the next one. Works the same for factories, smelters, etc.

This is the best change.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

So, my train-focused factory is mostly prepared. Everything is setup so that I can easily expand every part, once I have checked for mistakes and bottlenecks.

I get researching at one blue belt of science, but production will still go down to something like 500/minute once buffers are exhausted.

Then I noticed that there is not enough power. Then I noticed that while I have enough reactor parts, I don't have enough buffers of landfill. When I expand my Stone processing plant, I notice that I need more stone mines. After I build those I see that a neglected part of the rail network is now overloaded.
A fairly unexpected chain of dependencies. Great fun.

At least I can finally plan the purple science plant while my landfill buffers up.

Probably a stupid question, but how does buffering landfill affect anything at all in your production chain? I've never run into this.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
You need stone to make rails, to make the one science pack now. If you're sucking all your stone train output to make landfill, it can shut down that science pack entirely....

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

You need stone to make rails, to make the one science pack now. If you're sucking all your stone train output to make landfill, it can shut down that science pack entirely....

I get that, but the way he said it made me think he wasn't buffering enough landfill, not that he was buffering too much. I have absolutely shut down my science pack production for lack of stone by accident. Not a big deal, I was just a bit confused there.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

DelphiAegis posted:

Military packs now take stone walls as well.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
He said he was putting up more reactors, a fair number of reactor set ups have you landfill a lake into a straight shore, or do funky stuff like landfill all but the couple squares you have pumps.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

Probably a stupid question, but how does buffering landfill affect anything at all in your production chain? I've never run into this.

He's probably got a lake in the way or something oceanheavy. Or... Seablock...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The Locator posted:

I had almost all parts I needed to upgrade my powerplant buffered up. Except for landfill, which takes forever to produce.
It shouldn't be in the normal production chain at all, which is why it was unexpected.

The powerplant is upgraded, funnily 220 reactors can be supplied by a single lonely nuclear fuel assembler. Despite being larger then the minimap.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1715165870

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 17, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

I had almost all parts I needed to upgrade my powerplant buffered up. Except for landfill, which takes forever to produce.
It shouldn't be in the normal production chain at all, which is why it was unexpected.

The powerplant is upgraded, funnily 220 reactors can be supplied by a single lonely nuclear fuel assembler. Despite being larger then the minimap.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1715165870

That's quite a setup. Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to have the reactors 2 wide though instead of a single line?

I just misunderstood what you meant about your buffering. I can see that you would need a LOT of landfill to make that monstrosity. I have two full chests of landfill buffered all the time, but I doubt it would be enough for that!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The Locator posted:

That's quite a setup. Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to have the reactors 2 wide though instead of a single line?

I just misunderstood what you meant about your buffering. I can see that you would need a LOT of landfill to make that monstrosity. I have two full chests of landfill buffered all the time, but I doubt it would be enough for that!

To get a long two wide row of reactors you need to do some fairly detailed landfilling. Because you have pumps on both sides of the reactor and land bridges for the heat pipes altenating with the pumps. Or running water antiparallel through the turbines, which narrows down the location even more. I don't consider it worth the effort with nuclear fuel being so cheap as it is.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 17, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Once pumps are placed you can landfill over them and they still work. Makes the landfilling of those setups far simpler (but two pass).

sparrowling
Apr 16, 2019

I'm rather new to Factorio and I'm playing with my boyfriend who has earned many achievements main game. We are at the point we can build trains and using them to explore further out. There is oil and more resources, and also aliens! What else can I look forward to later? I hear there are ways to automate automation with robots. How much time does this all take to reach all of what this game has to offer so far in beta release?

:goshawk:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
O'm setting up a main bus for the first time!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

sparrowling posted:

I'm rather new to Factorio and I'm playing with my boyfriend who has earned many achievements main game. We are at the point we can build trains and using them to explore further out. There is oil and more resources, and also aliens! What else can I look forward to later? I hear there are ways to automate automation with robots. How much time does this all take to reach all of what this game has to offer so far in beta release?

The game might be considered "in beta" in some respects, but in practice it's a living work like Minecraft or others. Automating automation *is* possible, but as far as i am aware not part of the core game. Most of such things required heavy modding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF--1XdcOeM

However, modding is a huge part of the game and by the time you get familiar with the core of it, and start to get bored, there'll be lots of ways open for you to make the game harder, more complicated, bigger or more restricted with mods that add more production chains, replace production chains or even weird ones that just give you a small island you have to build out from.

As for what you've to look forward to now: More complicated production setups, more ways to move things around, and the aliens REALLY wanting to eat you, with your answer being artillery trains.

Turtlicious posted:

You'll want to keep 2 spaces free between every four mainbus lanes so you can cross them with undergrounds easier. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
And here's an example of a bigger type of base made with a mod that highly increases complexity:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

As Mithaldu said, you'll want to leave spaces for stuff to cross. I personally prefer 3 spaces.

This is my current bus which is insufficient to supply my copper needs so it gets side-input part way through. I need 8+ lanes really. This is for a base that currently peaks at 250'ish science per minute when I'm not getting an unexpected bottleneck somewhere.

It's amazing how much of the basic materials you need as you scale up. The empty belt there on the left side is for blue circuits, but I ended up with the production for them scattered so strangely that I am just zipping them around with robots now instead of trying to get them on the bus.

Fired up a second 10-reactor nuclear plant since my sustained power consumption is hitting 1.6MW now.

I got tired of having so much wood in storage, so I made this.

The chests and inserters are connected to the main power grid so they are always on. The steam engines are not connected to the grid, they simply power those beacons which are doing.. well, nothing except eating power. It eats lots of wood, and makes pollution. Win-win!

Since the inserters are powered from the main grid, it doesn't matter if I run out of wood, as the inserters will simply jam more in when I clear a new area and it will fire right up.

Edit: Yes I know the two buffer chests at the boilers are redundant, but I started with just them and realized I had more wood in the network than they could hold so I just slapped down that belt and chest arrangement to suck it all up.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 18, 2019