Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't think a Nintendo vita would be surprising.

It’s the original GBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I want the mini switch to be just a vertical switch screen and then they just call it the new game boy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Spellman posted:

IDK if the switch gets any smaller, the text on most games (ex. Breath of the Wild, Starlink) will be unreadable. And Mario Odyssey's showcase control scheme would be unusable. Imagine a system where the core Mario game of the generation isn't fully featured

I don't think the second issue really matters all, both software and hardware are still selling and the unit could have a built in gyro. But the smaller text would definitely be an issue, especially with Zelda as you mentioned and Darkest Dungeon etc

E: yeah I mostly played odyssey handheld

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spellman posted:

IDK if the switch gets any smaller, the text on most games (ex. Breath of the Wild, Starlink) will be unreadable. And Mario Odyssey's showcase control scheme would be unusable. Imagine a system where the core Mario game of the generation isn't fully featured

They just added a zoom feature, and tons of people played Odyssey in handheld only

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bushisms.txt posted:

I want the mini switch to be just a vertical switch screen and then they just call it the new game boy.

the Game Boy Oblong

Spellman
May 31, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They just added a zoom feature, and tons of people played Odyssey in handheld only

Nobody said it was impossible

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love that fake switch’s green color though.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

bushisms.txt posted:

The 2ds was named the 2ds because it wasn't 3d anymore, which was in relation to a ton of factors, child safety and recouping 3ds launch failures being a couple. But it never took away the ability to play a game.

A switch that doesn't Switch would go by a different name with this logic. Also, the rumor is we'll be surprised at the looks. I don't think a Nintendo vita would be surprising.

Behold the new smaller model, Nintendo Titch

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

It’s the original GBA

finally back to the perfect handheld formfactor

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rolo posted:

Looks like a nice teal that'll match my kitchen nicely. Go for it Nintendo!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, did I miss an announcement for a new Switch model, or is this all hearsay and stuff?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Wishful bullshit

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

I really hope the new Switch models either have a huge spectrum of colors or swappable faceplates.

Nintendo knows there is a market in Japan for it but there is a HUGE market in my apartment where a little person like myself loves playing dress up.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, did I miss an announcement for a new Switch model, or is this all hearsay and stuff?
It's the grinch leak all over again.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The most realistic vector of attack for a future Switch SKU would be a no bezel screen because it doesn't compromise joy-con, nor the Switch's ecosystem of games that every system should be capable of playing

But even that could compromise Labo in certain cases

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The new switch sku will be exactly the same except it'll be atomic purple and cost $100 more than usual

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Play It Loud returns as the speakers are permanently set to on and maxed volume.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, piling on to this, I could see a new version of the switch ditching the game card slot, opting for a download-only sort of situation, and then beefing the thing up a bit with the space that's saved from that. At the same time, I don't think that's worth bothering with.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Policenaut posted:

Play It Loud returns as the speakers are permanently set to on and maxed volume.

If it's from that era, the sounds has to be mono.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dr Cheeto posted:

The new switch sku will be exactly the same except it'll be atomic purple and cost $100 more than usual

poo poo dude sold.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

The sources for this were nowhere near that mess. And again, these particular sources have pretty clear track records on this stuff.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

No Switch revision will be smaller with non-detachable joycon, for babies.

It will also remove weapon degradation in BotW, for babies.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MRW someone asks me what's my favorite Nintendo marketing campaign

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I could really go for Three Kingdoms being released in like 2 weeks versus 3 months.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I really hope the new Switch models either have a huge spectrum of colors or swappable faceplates.

Nintendo knows there is a market in Japan for it but there is a HUGE market in my apartment where a little person like myself loves playing dress up.

I wish the New 3DS (normal sized) was properly pimped in North America, the concept of special edition faceplates replacing special edition models just makes so much sense

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spellman posted:

I wish the New 3DS (normal sized) was properly pimped in North America, the concept of special edition faceplates replacing special edition models just makes so much sense

We're still going through that tech phase where bigger is better, so the base New 3DS didn't stand a chance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

American McGay posted:

I'm still in disbelief the Grinch lied to us like that.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I was just wondering the other day why I ever fell so hard for the grinch leak, but then I remembered the picture and how nobody would ever go through that much effort, and all the care taken to make the circumstances surrounding the leak itself seem legit and just lol. There's probably gonna be a new Switch SKU and I'd even expect a mini version to look pretty much exactly like that, but odds of this specific picture being real are even at best. It's easy enough to fake at least

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the grinch taught me some hard lessons i needed to learn about the world

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Has anyone purchased the NA/EU physical release of Final Fantasy X/X-2 and redeemed the eShop code for the X-2? If so, does it download the whole 26.9 GB game?

I'm beginning to think Square really screwed this up and instead of including X-2 as a day-one update or free DLC, they're just providing an eShop voucher for the full digital version which makes the cartridge entirely moot. I have a sealed copy from when Amazon originally listed it for $40, but I might end up returning it due to how gross this is.

(I also have the Japanese version, which is great.)

Conducted some science just for you. Bought the physical version but haven't gotten around to playing it yet (blame Hollow Knight), so I've just gone and redeemed my X-2 code and have done literally nothing else.

The amount of data it's taken up on my card is 12.9GB. So no, it doesn't download the whole thing. That would be mental, mate.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Raserys posted:

the grinch taught me some hard lessons i needed to learn about the world

just like Dr. Seuss intended

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Spellman posted:

I've got a Pikachu New 2DSXL and it kinda sucks having to baby it. Faceplates wouldn't have custom button colours etc, but the replaceability if damaged would make up for that.

Still wondering what I should use the UV printer at work for. I'm not brave enough to print on the back of the Switch, but I should print something on the dock.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sudden Javelin posted:

Conducted some science just for you.
Awesome, thanks for that. Do you mind checking the Data Management / Manage Software screen to see if that shows up as "Software", "Update Data", or "DLC"? Really just curious.

Sudden Javelin posted:

The amount of data it's taken up on my card is 12.9GB. So no, it doesn't download the whole thing. That would be mental, mate.
Yeah, it would be. I think that explains the discrepancy of why the eShop entry only shows as 14.0 GB, but there's a text blurb that says the full install is 26.9 GB. The eShop version must be a DLC bundle, but why not just make the DLC part free instead of require a voucher?

Anyways I'll probably gift my copy to a buddy knowing it at least won't crush his SD card.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Awesome, thanks for that. Do you mind checking the Data Management / Manage Software screen to see if that shows up as "Software", "Update Data", or "DLC"? Really just curious.

Yeah, it would be. I think that explains the discrepancy of why the eShop entry only shows as 14.0 GB, but there's a text blurb that says the full install is 26.9 GB. The eShop version must be a DLC bundle, but why not just make the DLC part free instead of require a voucher?

Anyways I'll probably gift my copy to a buddy knowing it at least won't crush his SD card.

Sure. Shows up as DLC.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I beat Mario Odyssey yesterday.

That ending sequence was loving badass, this game was just goofy as hell and I loved every second of it. Gonna take a crack at getting more moons, but we'll how long my patience lasts.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shinjobi posted:

That ending sequence was loving badass, this game was just goofy as hell and I loved every second of it. Gonna take a crack at getting more moons, but we'll how long my patience lasts.
Beating the final challenge world is equally epic.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

We're still going through that tech phase where bigger is better, so the base New 3DS didn't stand a chance.

It's possible, though I think pushing the New XL was tied to the initial success of the XL, partly accelerated by what a piece of poo poo the original smol 3DS was for non-size-based reasons

Hardware trends are definitely relevant though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember when we all fell for this non-xl new 3ds leak?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Shinjobi posted:

If you're like me you'll do some, then put it up, then in 6 months you'll feel THE ITCH again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I’d buy it.