Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How the hell is palpatine alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

spacetoaster posted:

He probably isn’t. It’s either a flashback or a vision or a Holocron or a ghost of some kind.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gonz posted:

He probably isn’t. It’s either a flashback or a vision or a Holocron or a ghost of some kind.

I saw that one of the expanded universe novels had him using some kind of force power to force his mind into fresh clone body. I guess it could be that "un-natural" ability he was talking about all those movies ago.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spacetoaster posted:

Sith version of Force Ghost he figured out how to do

Flashback

Holocron

OR they go full EU garbage and Sheev had a clone hidden just in case.

I'm hoping for the last one because that was so stupid and I hope they take the dumbest route where we learn the clone wars were all cover so he could experiment on putting himself in a clone backup.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Time travel techincally exists within the current canon, so it could be possible that he never died at all, and fell through a portal in time while plummeting to the reactor core. I can't think of a good thematic reason why they would do that, but it's not like the Disney Star Wars entries have been particularly concerned with that.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the death star throne room or core will be intact and palpatibes Force Presence (as opposed to the light sides Force Ghost powerup) will permeate into a pseudo-concsciousness of Palpatine that speaks to Rey. itll be like the dark side cave poo poo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In the EU Legends stuff though, his clone body was youthful.

They're getting present day Ian McDiarmid to reprise the role. A man who is in his mid-70's. And if he was cloned and artifically aged, he still wouldn't be all burned up from his own force lightning, unless they bring him back as pre-burned up Palpatine.

It's loving wild to think that he was in his mid-30's-early-40's when he played the role in '80 and '83. That makeup was really convincing to turn him into a crusty old dude.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I still really want Force Ghost Hayden Christensen to show up. Like, what has ghost Anakin been doing since RotJ? Only Yoda could be bothered to show up to talk to Luke?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gonz posted:

The idea that Palpatine has a holocron with his laugh saved on it tells me that he had his priorities in order. :unsmith:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Gonz posted:

In the EU Legends stuff though, his clone body was youthful.

They're getting present day Ian McDiarmid to reprise the role. A man who is in his mid-70's. And if he was cloned and artifically aged, he still wouldn't be all burned up from his own force lightning, unless they bring him back as pre-burned up Palpatine.

It's loving wild to think that he was in his mid-30's-early-40's when he played the role in '80 and '83. That makeup was really convincing to turn him into a crusty old dude.

This is gonna sound mega "pushing my glasses up my nose" nerdy, but he didn't originally play the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back. He is now, but they filmed it when they filmed Revenge of the Sith. Back in 80, it was an old woman with a makeup appliance and part of a chimp's face superimposed over it to give it a weird look. Clive Reville did the voice. One of my favorite weird facts about Star Wars.

Edit: Here's a fun comparison. I also forgot they changed the dialog because George Lucas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsDLIPVsic

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So the whole plan from the outset was to uncanonize whatever the Expanded Universe had, wait a while until they ran out of ideas/poo poo looks bad, then cannibalize Dark Empire or whatever with no shame and have J.J. take all the credit if its good because who the gently caress knows Tom Veitch, Cam Kennedy or Jim Baikie these days? Genius.

But yeah, after Yoda showed you can just lightning whatever as a force ghost what good is it to utilize the force to revive you know. Unless, hilariously, that's all prune face was waiting for. Luke and everyone else to be dead so he can walk into an empire again and -- who the gently caress are these First Order? Snoke? That guy I intentionally trained badly and left for dead without some elaborate betrayal because he made Lord Vader look competent? Wait, they all just failed themselves to death after all this time?! None of my revenge squads and ideas were even utilized?! Oh - Sithis, I should have just came back sooner.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Martman posted:

I still really want Force Ghost Hayden Christensen to show up. Like, what has ghost Anakin been doing since RotJ? Only Yoda could be bothered to show up to talk to Luke?

Me too. And I think that happens.

Hayden showing up and telling Kylo to stop being such a little poo poo who's got his history wrong, and what a doofus he was for falling for Palpatine's schtick back in the day.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This is gonna sound mega "pushing my glasses up my nose" nerdy, but he didn't originally play the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back. He is now, but they filmed it when they filmed Revenge of the Sith. Back in 80, it was an old woman with a makeup appliance and part of a chimp's face superimposed over it to give it a weird look. Clive Reville did the voice. One of my favorite weird facts about Star Wars.

Edit: Here's a fun comparison. I also forgot they changed the dialog because George Lucas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsDLIPVsic

Huh.

I learn something new every day!

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 17, 2019

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Gonz posted:

Me too. And I think that happens.

Hayden showing up and telling Kylo to stop being such a little poo poo who's got his history wrong, and what a doofus he was for falling for Palpatine's schtick back in the day.

I want nothing but force ghosts just shittin' on Kylo for the entire run time of the film. Just "You are the worst. Shape the gently caress up, weirdo" for 2 hours.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I want nothing but force ghosts just shittin' on Kylo for the entire run time of the film. Just "You are the worst. Shape the gently caress up, weirdo" for 2 hours.

Force Ghost Luke and Force Ghost Anakin just Bran Stark-ing the poo poo out of Kylo constantly.

Showing up in the corners of rooms and just giving him the stink eye. Showing up in windows with the stink eye. Showing up in the bathroom and just staring a hole through him, all while saying nothing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Hayden showing up and having a sit down with Kylo Ren could've been a neat scene in a well-thought-out ST. It wouldn't surprise me if they sneak it in in the third film but I genuinely don't think they'll 'canonize' the present PT in the ST so blatantly.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if the ending of the film is Rey, Force Luke, Force Anakin and Kylo teaming up to kill Super Palpatine -- for good, this time. So, who knows.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Assuming it isn't Rey is the secret Skywalker Palpatine creation. So a Jedi with a Sith Soul fights the wannabe Vader sith.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Hayden showing up and having a sit down with Kylo Ren could've been a neat scene in a well-thought-out ST. It wouldn't surprise me if they sneak it in in the third film but I genuinely don't think they'll 'canonize' the present PT in the ST so blatantly.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if the ending of the film is Rey, Force Luke, Force Anakin and Kylo teaming up to kill Super Palpatine -- for good, this time. So, who knows.

They're not going to remake the Prequels

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Dog posted:

They're not going to remake the Prequels

yes, they put any more movies on hiatus, we're all aware

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They do love to cannibalize unused material from older movies, and this is basically how the rough draft of Return of the Jedi ended - Obi-Wan comes back to life to help fight the Emperor, and Yoda's ghost appears to protect Luke from his lightning.

Incidentally, the "come out of hyperspace just before hitting a planet to bypass its shield" trick from TFA is originally from the rough draft of ROTJ as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe Kylo's agenda the whole time has been to defeat Ghost Palpatine by any means necessary. As a huge Vader stan, there's no way he has any love for Palpatine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

Maybe Kylo's agenda the whole time has been to defeat Ghost Palpatine by any means necessary. As a huge Vader stan, there's no way he has any love for Palpatine.

"I will finish...what you started."

Oh poo poo.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lol if Kylo's long game has been an extremely misguided attempt at bringing Sheev out of hiding to permanently vanquish him by dressing like Vader and moping like Anakin

Ben (in his jedi school hut): okay so Palpatine's spirit is still out there and I need to draw him out. We know he likes black face masks and brooding teens with thick manes of hair. Anyway diary thats all for now, have to rest up for a big day of jedi school with my favorite uncle

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 17, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

OT: Yay! We killed the bad guy! Time for the good guys to fix everything!

PT: Hmm maybe killing one bad guy isn't actually enough, and maybe the system that allowed him to come to power was the real problem!

ST: Actually, the problem is we didn't kill the bad guy hard enough.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ben (in his jedi school hut): okay so Palpatine's spirit is still out there and I need to draw him out. We know he likes black face masks and brooding teens with thick manes of hair. Anyway diary thats all for now, have to rest up for a big day of jedi school with my favorite uncle

I just want to point out how much I love this.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Ben had a force vision about Sid still being around, he kept pestering Uncle Luke about it and Yoda and Sid both Ghost Tricked Luke into attacking Ben to make him Sith legitimately. Everyone fucks up in this scenario!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ingmar terdman posted:

Lol if Kylo's long game has been an extremely misguided attempt at bringing Sheev out of hiding to permanently vanquish him by dressing like Vader and moping like Anakin

This would redeem the entire series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Luke and Ben pulling some Ocean's 11-style scheme on Paul Saltines would be hilarious and awesome and would please me greatly.

EDIT: This needs to be in the soundtrack somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSai09_jzc

Gonz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 17, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

Luke and Ben pulling some Ocean's 11-style scheme on Paul Saltines would be hilarious and awesome and would please me greatly.

EDIT: This needs to be in the soundtrack somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSai09_jzc

The entirety of the Republic Fleet and the Hosnian System were in on it (but not Leia)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Luke, to Leia: "We had to ice billions of people and your ex-husband to lure Palpatine out of hiding. THERE WAS NO OTHER WAY! Sorry!"

And Leia is just standing there, incredulous, like Al Pacino watching the helicopter carry his diamonds away.

If that happened, my in-theater laughter would quickly degenerate into violent coughing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Luke, to Risen Palpatine: "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Luke, to Leia: "We had to ice billions of people and your ex-husband to lure Palpatine out of hiding. THERE WAS NO OTHER WAY! Sorry!"

And Leia is just standing there, incredulous, like Al Pacino watching the helicopter carry his diamonds away.

If that happened, my in-theater laughter would quickly degenerate into violent coughing.

Oh please, it was all Han's idea to finally get out of returning to save the day

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Oh please, it was all Han's idea to finally get out of returning to save the day

In wrestling terms, Han was putting Kylo over

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

They were playing with doing this in Force Awakens when Kylo meditates over Vader's helmet. The helmet's resting on the ashes of everyone they incinerate on each trip somewhere searching for the first Jedi temple.

There was a lot of cool, like, this isn't TECHNICALLY formal Jedi or Sith kind of behavior but we all perceive the force so of course folks have various rituals and faiths and things they build up around it kind of stuff. Everyone on the lookout for Jedi/Sith artifacts was to be a part of that too, sort of like the relic "industry" in ancient Catholicism because after the events of Jedi/etc. it sinks in with folks at large again that oh poo poo the Force is for real real and not just a thing we talk about. Them exploring the Death Star II wreckage in this flick was something originally from Force Awakens too IIRC. It was going to open up with Finn having already deserted and flying through space stuff over Jakku before getting busted and crash landing since Ren's ship and complement were in the area.

I liked Force Awakens and Last Jedi quite a bit but both wasted a lot of potential and that sucks.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
so all this kylo-palp jokery probably uncovers the basic truth of Rise of Skywalkers plot: Ben, having been severely injured and places in a new half-robot samurai-styled armor, sacrifices himself to defeat Palpatine and save Rey

theres absolutely no chance Kylo doesnt go through a redemption arc in this. he was way too humanized by the Last Jedi

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The RotJ unmasking scene but it's just Adam Driver's normal face.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ammanas posted:

so all this kylo-palp jokery probably uncovers the basic truth of Rise of Skywalkers plot: Ben, having been severely injured and places in a new half-robot samurai-styled armor, sacrifices himself to defeat Palpatine and save Rey

theres absolutely no chance Kylo doesnt go through a redemption arc in this. he was way too humanized by the Last Jedi

Wasn’t the point of Last Jedi that his humanity does not automatically redeem him?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

He's been given every chance to redeem himself and every time he's gone "Nope. Nah. Nuh-uh. Never gonna happen."

But I'm sure they'll at the very least keep him alive so they can use him later, and it he dies, feel free to hunt this post down so you can say "I told you so."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when will rey be redeemed from jedi indoctrination?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Vader spends almost his entire screen time in RotJ telling Luke it's no use trying to redeem him, before Luke totally does anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
And the same guy who wouldn't take up arms against Darth Fuckin' Vader because of a sliver of potential goodness decided to chop up his innocent young nephew because...

Disney spent their whole budget on CGI and couldn't hire writers worth a drat.