Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Trying to remember a couple childrens educational books from the 80s or 90s.

They were shaped like those Garfield collections, kinda short but wide. The color scheme on the ones I'm trying to remember was pink and white and then purple and white. Kinda like nerds candy. The characters in the books make me think of the California raisins or other little blobby guys. I think they were wlfor teaching math and other things. It's not the Mr. Man series. Help please!

Was it the m&m math and counting books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

lifg posted:

Was it the m&m math and counting books?

That's a drat good guess, but that's not it. Colors aren't right.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I got a brain worm to re-read some fantasy novels I read as a teen. Starts off with the protagonist being a prostitute in a tavern, before joining up with an assassin and a half giant(maybe? Can't remember), and fleeing something. They go down the roots of the settings world tree, pass through elemental fire, end up popping out the other side of the world centuries later.

I can vaguely remember the 4 main characters:

Protagonist Chick, starts as a prostitute with an unpleasant backstory, ends up with fire elemental powers and kinda reborn (all scars disappear, wounds close, regains her virginity or something dumb like that), ends up needing a dragon to teach her how to use her powers in one of the later books.

Assassin dude: guy from a lost race with close association to air elemental stuff, extremely sensitive to air currents, uses some asymmetrical one armed crossbow thing that shoots razor sharp discs. His arc basically amounts to encountering his own people and realizing he's not a super ugly human, and then embracing his elemental poo poo and living with it rather that being in agony every time the wind blows.

Half giant guy: I remember them being big and having some earth elemental powers, finding more of their kind in or around the fortress the group takes over, and nothing else.

lovely love interest: water elemental human guy, kind of a dick, meets the group on the other side of the world after they unknowingly spend like a century underground going through elemental fire fleeing whatever on the other side. Has a sword.

The fortress they find/take over on the other side has some small house in an underground cavern on an island in an underground lake.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That’s Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

wizzardstaff posted:

That’s Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon.

Goddamn dude, you must be some sort of guru. I've been trying to remember what it was called for days now.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

MohawkSatan posted:

Goddamn dude, you must be some sort of guru. I've been trying to remember what it was called for days now.

I also read that book as a teen. I actually remember far less of it than you described, but “heroes go through the elemental fire of the world tree and emerge centuries later” is pretty unmistakable.

(Also I cheated and had to google the author’s name after I remembered the title.)

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 12, 2019

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A Proper Uppercut posted:

They were shaped like those Garfield collections, kinda short but wide. The characters in the books make me think of the California raisins or other little blobby guys.

Oh I know this one, is it the Mr. Ma--

quote:

It's not the Mr. Man series.

Oh. Sorry :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Splicer posted:

Did it talk about the green children?

I can't remember all the stories told in it, though each one was only a page long or there about, and there was a black & white drawing on each one. When I say orange border on the cover, I'm thinking more like this (though a lot of publishers did this):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm back again looking for more teen horror stories.

I thought this one was Anthony Horowitz but the books and anthologies of his short stories doesn't seem to have it.

It was called like "Don't Read This" or similar, and about a Chernobyl-esque reactor disaster, but the reader was causing it by reading on, it ended with the omniscient narrator telling the reader to look up so they could see the explosion in the distance.

I've still never found this one either (not teen horror, YA novel):

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series?

Or this (definitely teen horror short):

One time I read a short story that was really like Stephen King's Misery. It's only now I'm actually reading Misery that I remember it.

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 18, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Davros1 posted:

I can't remember all the stories told in it, though each one was only a page long or there about, and there was a black & white drawing on each one. When I say orange border on the cover, I'm thinking more like this (though a lot of publishers did this):

Ah, I had one that was all yellowy orange (I think?) that otherwise sounded similar, but I now realize I can't remember the name either!

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
This is a short story I read as a kid, probably 20+ years ago. I'd have read it in German, no idea if that was the original language.

A young child, I think it was a girl, walks to school by herself one morning. Along the way, she discovers the dead body of someone she recognizes (a teacher?) slightly hidden off the road. There's a bullet wound or a similar sign that the person was murdered. The kid goes to school and tries telling the adults about it, but nobody believes her. So on her way back home, out of spite, she hides/covers the body so nobody else will accidentally discover it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got one that's bugging me

Old sci-fi paperback, painting on the front of either small people on trees or regular sized people on giant trees. It's set in the way far future, earth is much hotter, giant forests cover all continents from shore to shore. Humans have evolved to live in the trees, have no memory of the earth before. It's possible that humans got small, but I think it was more that trees got huge. Or maybe a bit of both, I don't think it was ever made clear because there were no artifacts or anything from our time that survived. Humans are prey animals to a wide variety of carnivorous plants. Main character is a guy who has to go on a journey, I think because his tribe got wiped out.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Gripweed posted:

I got one that's bugging me

Old sci-fi paperback, painting on the front of either small people on trees or regular sized people on giant trees. It's set in the way far future, earth is much hotter, giant forests cover all continents from shore to shore. Humans have evolved to live in the trees, have no memory of the earth before. It's possible that humans got small, but I think it was more that trees got huge. Or maybe a bit of both, I don't think it was ever made clear because there were no artifacts or anything from our time that survived. Humans are prey animals to a wide variety of carnivorous plants. Main character is a guy who has to go on a journey, I think because his tribe got wiped out.
Probably Brian Aldiss's Hothouse.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's it, thanks!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
This isn't a typical request for this thread but idk where else might be able to help.

Someone asked on FB if people had learned about the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in school. I did not.

HOWEVER, I did recently (like in 2019) read a book that referenced it multiple times.

I cannot for the life of me figure out which book it was. It's basically impossible to Google because there's too many results and most of them are retellings of the myth.

This book WAS NOT a retelling of the myth, it just referenced it several times.

Anyone have a clue? I can type up a list of the books I've read so far this year that I remember if that is helpful.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
What else was the book about?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This isn't a typical request for this thread but idk where else might be able to help.

Someone asked on FB if people had learned about the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in school. I did not.

HOWEVER, I did recently (like in 2019) read a book that referenced it multiple times.

I cannot for the life of me figure out which book it was. It's basically impossible to Google because there's too many results and most of them are retellings of the myth.

Anyone have a clue? I can type up a list of the books I've read so far this year that I remember if that is helpful.

yeah we're going to need more to go on.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I read a lot of books back to back so I can't remember which one had the reference.

I'm pretty sure it talked about the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, definitely talked about the end with the "don't look back" thing, and I THINK there was some comparison to what was going on in their own life.

Here's a (probably incomplete and definitely not in order) list of books I've read recently. Also missing is what I'm currently reading which is Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 28, 2019

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Was it in Three Moments of an Explosion, the short story collection by China Mieville?

The story was Four Final Orpheuses?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Nope, definitely never read that. Thanks for the input though!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Gnomon isn't on your list but it was my first guess since the SF/F thread (and me also) loves it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So this is nonfiction so I don’t know if I can post it here. It was a black hardcover, published in the late 80s or early 90s, it had the word “Security” in the title and I, being 12 or 13 and having just watched Sneakers found this book at the UWM library while exploring the stacks (my mom went back to grad school around this time) and :love:ed it. It was about locks and cameras and lighting and doors and stuff. I’d love to find it and see if they ever updated it.

:shrug:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Schadenboner posted:

So this is nonfiction so I don’t know if I can post it here. It was a black hardcover, published in the late 80s or early 90s, it had the word “Security” in the title and I, being 12 or 13 and having just watched Sneakers found this book at the UWM library while exploring the stacks (my mom went back to grad school around this time) and :love:ed it. It was about locks and cameras and lighting and doors and stuff. I’d love to find it and see if they ever updated it.

:shrug:

A single word doesn’t make it easy to narrow down, but you could try searching the library’s collection or asking a librarian.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lazyhound posted:

A single word doesn’t make it easy to narrow down, but you could try searching the library’s collection or asking a librarian.

Yeah, I assume it’s long ago been pulped. When I was attending there I half-heartedly tried to find it a few times but never managed to.

:sigh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’m willing to bet it was the 1992 edition of Lawrence Fennelly’s
Effective Physical Security: Design, Equipment, and Operations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Schadenboner posted:

I’m willing to bet it was the 1992 edition of Lawrence Fennelly’s
Effective Physical Security: Design, Equipment, and Operations.

You can read a lot of pages of that on its listing on Amazon, it looks like.
https://www.amazon.com/Effective-Physical-Security-Equipment-Operations/dp/0750693908

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Skyscraper posted:

You can read a lot of pages of that on its listing on Amazon, it looks like.
https://www.amazon.com/Effective-Physical-Security-Equipment-Operations/dp/0750693908

DePaul also has access to the current version as an ebook. Looks this this is it!

:tipshat:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Schadenboner posted:

DePaul also has access to the current version as an ebook. Looks this this is it!

:tipshat:

Aw, nice.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Trying to find an absolutely terrible fantasy novel I read back in the 1990s. This is so bad it boggles the mind, no one should ever read this thing. I want the title so I can warn people to NOT read it level bad.

In a fantasy medieval society, that is really the last remnant of humans descending from those few who survived The Great Calamity! (Or Catastrophe! or similar) people of every colour live in absolute perfect harmony. They have totally fixed racism, OK? No, really, and it was so simple! How did they do it?
Well...Every 9 months or so, there is a ceremony. Any woman who has a baby age 6 weeks or older takes her baby to a sacred space. It was a natural setting, like a sacred grove, or special altar stone or something. They hand over the baby to a priestess who gives them a goblet with a special liquid to drink. The priestesses mix up the babies, and hand them back to random mothers, lottery style. Because of the magical drink the mothers instantly bond with their baby. Sometimes you do get your own baby back, but in general you have no way of knowing if your offspring is blood related. Since every family now have children of different ethnicities, no one is racist anymore, because how can you be racist towards your own child?

The entire thing was this level ham fisted. Yes, it is every bit as bad as it sounds. Please help me find this horrible case of Why was this thing even published?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to remember the name of an oldish science fiction story. It might have been written by Arthur C Clarke, but I might also be getting that mixed up because of the newspads in 2001: A Space Odyssey. George RR Martin and Harlan Ellison are also candidates.

The story is about eBooks, way before eBooks were a thing. It's pretty much a story about the paper printing industry having anxiety attacks about this oncoming threat to their business model. It was pretty darn predictive, which is why I think Clarke is the most likely author. I can't remember many other details.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an oldish science fiction story. It might have been written by Arthur C Clarke, but I might also be getting that mixed up because of the newspads in 2001: A Space Odyssey. George RR Martin and Harlan Ellison are also candidates.

The story is about eBooks, way before eBooks were a thing. It's pretty much a story about the paper printing industry having anxiety attacks about this oncoming threat to their business model. It was pretty darn predictive, which is why I think Clarke is the most likely author. I can't remember many other details.

Cyberbooks by Ben Bova?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hughlander posted:

Cyberbooks by Ben Bova?

goodreads posted:

When this book was published in 1989, it was clearly a science fiction. Now, in 2013, only 14 years later,

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Goodreads can typo?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hughlander posted:

Cyberbooks by Ben Bova?

Huh, I think that is it. Thanks.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I'm not sure if this is a novel, a short story, a tv show, or a movie, but I feel like I've definitely seen something where a character repeatedly quotes David Lee Roth's autobiography "Crazy From The Heat" and takes it for profound wisdom. I know Phil Hartman does it in an episode of NewsRadio, but that doesn't scratch my mental itch here. Does anyone remember another story where a character does that?

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
A while back I was looking into short story competitions, and I came across a winner of one of those competitions that really blew me away. A lot of the story has stuck with me, but unfortunately the name of the work, its author, or even the competition itself has since escaped my mind. I was hoping you guys could help me remember it again.

The competition was recent. I want to say post-2010 recent. I believe it was written by someone of Cuban heritage, but the gender of the author is fuzzy in my memory. The story took place in the 1990s and was about a Cuban refugee that came to Miami and was now working as a community organizer to help other Cuban refugees acclimatize to life in America. I remember a few things vividly:

The protagonist left his family in Cuba, and was considering bringing them over as well. He was in talks with a smuggler to do the deed, but was becoming uncertain if they family would survive the trip as many other such smuggling attempts had failed.

When helping those Cuban refugees who had recently arrived, he had to stress the importance of throwing away trash. Trash could always be valuable in Cuba as it could be reused. A recent refugee tells the protagonist the story of a man who collected enough spare parts to create a make-shift motorbike. The protagonist tells the refugee that they better not try that in America.

The story continues along these lines. Creating contrast between life in Cuba and America. i.e. how in Cuba although food seemed rare, rice with fish paste was filling, but now in America where food is abundant a whopper from Burger King only makes you want more. Or that in America you can stand on a street corner and say "To hell with Bill Clinton!" and no one would care. But you could also be yelling for help on a street corner and no one would care.

I realize this is something of a long-shot, but I would love to read that story again.

CourtFundedPoster fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 17, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CourtFundedPoster posted:

A while back I was looking into short story competitions, and I came across a winner of one of those competitions that really blew me away. A lot of the story has stuck with me, but unfortunately the name of the work, its author, or even the competition itself has since escaped my mind. I was hoping you guys could help me remember it again.

The competition was recent. I want to say post-2010 recent. I believe it was written by someone of Cuban heritage, but the gender of the author is fuzzy in my memory. The story took place in the 1990s and was about a Cuban refugee that came to Miami and was now working as a community organizer to help other Cuban refugees acclimatize to life in America. I remember a few things vividly:

The protagonist left his family in Cuba, and was considering bringing them over as well. He was in talks with a smuggler to do the deed, but was becoming uncertain if they family would survive the trip as many other such smuggling attempts had failed.

When helping those Cuban refugees who had recently arrived, he had to stress the importance of throwing away trash. Trash could always be valuable in Cuba as it could be reused. A recent refugee tells the protagonist the story of a man who collected enough spare parts to create a make-shift motorbike. The protagonist tells the refuge that they better not try that in America.

The story continues along these lines. Creating contrast between life in Cuban and America. i.e. how in Cuba although food seemed rare, rice with fish paste was filling, but now in America where food is abundant a whopper from Burger King only makes you want more. Or that in America you can stand on a street corner and say "To hell with Bill Clinton!" and no one would care. But you could also be yelling for help on a street corner and no one would care.

I realize this is something of a long-shot, but I would love to read that story again.

I’m p.sure this was an Archer ep?

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

Schadenboner posted:

I’m p.sure this was an Archer ep?

I haven't gotten around to watching Archer yet, so I don't think that's where I am remembering this from. I remember very vividly reading this short story on a library computer after class.

What's the name of the episode by the way?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CourtFundedPoster posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching Archer yet, so I don't think that's where I am remembering this from. I remember very vividly reading this short story on a library computer after class.

What's the name of the episode by the way?

He’s being silly. There is a recurring Archer plot with Archer vs. various Cubans, but it isn’t similar to what you described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Which book has a character named Jackson* with one blue eye, and one green? I thought it was The Girl with the Silver Eyes, but I'm starting to doubt that.

* I'm pretty sure.