Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Okay, so are MCQs basically just PTQs from 20 years ago, or are they rebranded PPTQs, or are they rebranded RPTQs, or what? Because not requiring a judge for something that qualifies for the PT is fuckin' laffo.

Incidentally I tried to grab the bug report on MTGO link last weekend and forgot they totally removed the support channel. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's supposed to be old school ptq's yea, but I guess enough stores couldn't scrounge up an L2 that they've eased off on the requirements. I don't think I've ever attended a comp rel event that didn't have a judge. It's frankly astounding really.

e: OK the latest MTR lists tabletop mythic qualifiers as competitive, at least. (appendix F, 01/19 edition)

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
https://twitter.com/smolwambit/status/1118638581822607361

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This is the stores reply.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/138TTEaqT0KPM868jY_6GHtDuJBbC_KbGJifB05vs_3g/edit

Its everything you ever thought it could be.

:perfect:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

just retire the judge's program then

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

This is the stores reply.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/138TTEaqT0KPM868jY_6GHtDuJBbC_KbGJifB05vs_3g/edit

Its everything you ever thought it could be.

:perfect:

That doc makes sense from the store's perspective, bu tit's their mistake for thinking the MCQ is equivalent to an RPTQ and not a PPTQ. What a mess.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hellsau posted:

just retire the judge's program then

I love that the store owner claims that because judges are “the store’s employees” that he has to have them be retail underlings cleaning bathrooms instead of a part time employee that gets paid minimum wage to do a certain job during the event

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Okay, so are MCQs basically just PTQs from 20 years ago, or are they rebranded PPTQs, or are they rebranded RPTQs, or what? Because not requiring a judge for something that qualifies for the PT is fuckin' laffo.

Incidentally I tried to grab the bug report on MTGO link last weekend and forgot they totally removed the support channel. Good times.

The MCQs after this one are based on seasonal planeswalker points (I think 250 a quarter) but these are all opens. In Taiwan the 2 we get are back to back Saturday and Sunday in the same place. And I signed up for both, because I hate money, and love losing.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Devor posted:

I love that the store owner claims that because judges are “the store’s employees” that he has to have them be retail underlings cleaning bathrooms instead of a part time employee that gets paid minimum wage to do a certain job during the event

Don't put WotC's absolute garbage approach to the judge program on a LGS owner.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

This won't be the only MCQ run without a judge, I guarantee it. Many more stores will have an inexperienced L1 running these, also. You won't hear much about those because the headlines aren't as sensational as "running an MCQ without a judge". Just watch for more disgruntled player stories than usual on social media.

I don't buy the retail underlings thing either. Give them a 1099 for $150 or whatever if you're so worried about doing things by the book.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Did anyone else look at the stores twitter account? It's most recent activity is from 2017 and because they can't figure out how to switch back to their personal account it's a bunch of tweets about pilattes .

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

So... Gideon is Magic Jesus?

Yeah, like, what?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Marketing New Brain posted:

They have zombies in color and stuff like vengevine and death mist raptor. Seems to just be rarely used.

Sure, but those are guys that specifically get themselves back from the graveyard. And I know Green gets Regrowth and such, but I've never seen a straight-up "Rise From The Grave" effect in Green.

It makes sense that if it's any other color it's green, it's just about as weird as Harmonize to me.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lol at Gideon dying right after he ditched that dumb as hell wrist whip thing for a sweet sword

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

whydirt posted:

lol at Gideon dying right after he ditched that dumb as hell wrist whip thing for a sweet sword

What's the story behind the sword?

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Yeah and Bolas just loving smashed Blackblade like the second after they go on a quest to fix it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

wotc’s treatment of judges is another one of those cute moments when capitalism’s mask falls off a little and you can see maggots crawling out of its eye

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Sure, but those are guys that specifically get themselves back from the graveyard. And I know Green gets Regrowth and such, but I've never seen a straight-up "Rise From The Grave" effect in Green.

It makes sense that if it's any other color it's green, it's just about as weird as Harmonize to me.

Think of it more as "trying to reduce shuffling" instead of "how does it fit the color pie"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Blackblade

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

Some dude had a D&D character named Dakkon Blackblade in the late 80s early 90s. He had a sweet sword.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rinkles posted:

The sword is Dakkon Blackblade's, it's supposed to be more powerful the more lands you control

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

It was cool that the gave the evil soul thirsting blade to Gideon, but then killing Gideon and smashing the blade before it had a chance to make him evil is lame.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Poz posted:

Did anyone else look at the stores twitter account? It's most recent activity is from 2017 and because they can't figure out how to switch back to their personal account it's a bunch of tweets about pilattes .

Which is bizarre, given they're a huge gamestore and they do all their singles through tcgplayer. They're also, insofar as I can tell, in competition with two other stores of means in the area. It's kind of bizarre they're half assing things.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ada posted:

It was cool that the gave the evil soul thirsting blade to Gideon, but then killing Gideon and smashing the blade before it had a chance to make him evil is lame.

Yeah, it's pretty loving stupid.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
If you look in the background of Gideon’s PW art you can see that it looks like Rakdos picked him up and threw him at Bolas which is pretty metal. Other than that Gideon sucks and I’m glad he got replaced by the black lesbian ghost assassin.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Orzhov Gideon would have made Gideon marginally more interesting.

That said, anything times zero is still zero, so.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tainen posted:

If you look in the background of Gideon’s PW art you can see that it looks like Rakdos picked him up and threw him at Bolas which is pretty metal. Other than that Gideon sucks and I’m glad he got replaced by the black lesbian ghost assassin.

If we can't have Elspeth back, at least we get Billie Lurk.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Ada posted:

Agree WTF I don't care if Gideon sucks but you don't mess with the Blackblade.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I just finished an utterly stupid game against white lifegain where they had two Pridemates at over 70 power (one near 100) and almost all lifelink creatures at nearly 100 life.

They ended at -314. In one attack. It was dumb, Arena can't really handle 6 creatures attacking, much less 69.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Nice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I just finished an utterly stupid game against white lifegain where they had two Pridemates at over 70 power (one near 100) and almost all lifelink creatures at nearly 100 life.

They ended at -314. In one attack. It was dumb, Arena can't really handle 6 creatures attacking, much less 69.

This is probably the single best attack step I've ever seen in MTG arena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30pd4KRP9o&t=26s

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

This is probably the single best attack step I've ever seen in MTG arena https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30pd4KRP9o&t=26s

lmao

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

YeehawMcKickass posted:

At some point though you have to accept that 100+ creature boards are just never going to be handled correctly. At least it doesn't crash anymore.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ada posted:

At some point though you have to accept that 100+ creature boards are just never going to be handled correctly. At least it doesn't crash anymore.

click and drag to select multiples would help

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I just had someone Flickerwisp my Necromancy that was attached to a dude in legacy cube.

I don't think he found the end result as fun as I did.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

(from TheManaSource)

(magicmics podcast)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

(ben stark previews)

(previews from https://twitter.com/col_merchant/status/1118814249411907584?s=21)

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Ride Rakdos like a rented pegasus

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
This storyboard owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Smashing Link posted:

Agree WTF I don't care if Gideon sucks but you don't mess with the Blackblade.

Nah I think smashing blackblade is cool and good. If it had been the only way to win would have been boring as hell.