Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Shin Godzilla manages both the horror and the comic elements well. The titles gag gets pretty understated. Also the meetings being largely the same people recomposed in a different room. Also that shot of the wrecked district stands out in my mind still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEgZXX033Xk

:3:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Peacoffee posted:

Shin Godzilla manages both the horror and the comic elements well. The titles gag gets pretty understated. Also the meetings being largely the same people recomposed in a different room. Also that shot of the wrecked district stands out in my mind still.

The meetings moving from room to room has a purpose. Some rooms are 'Official' meeting rooms, where minutes have to be taken and the meeting recorded, others are not. When the administration thinks it knows whats going on it goes official, when it turns out they have no idea, it goes unofficial.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

VanSandman posted:

The meetings moving from room to room has a purpose. Some rooms are 'Official' meeting rooms, where minutes have to be taken and the meeting recorded, others are not. When the administration thinks it knows whats going on it goes official, when it turns out they have no idea, it goes unofficial.

I figured they had a purpose in actuality, but of course here they were wasting a lot of time until they all died. Then comes that full page-length title for Yaguchi lol. He was like the Shin Bureaucrat, having absorbed all their titles.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, the job title gag is amazing. If you told me I'd love a Godzilla movie mashed up with an episode of The Thick of It... Yeah, I'd probably believe you.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A compilation of new TV spots, which are spoilery/cool as hell. Don't watch if you want to go in fresh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYUyH2XaJkQ

King of the Monsters must be absolutely loaded with money shots.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tekne posted:

A compilation of new TV spots, which are spoilery/cool as hell. Don't watch if you want to go in fresh.

this is really funny to watch because you can kinda play "guess what station this is supposed to play on" with each spot, they're all for the same movie but the dialogue, music and scene choices are clearly attempting to reach different audiences. A fun little glimpse into film marketing.

the MBB/Vera Farmiga one is the best IMO, Claire de Lune is so perfect for this movie. They tried to recreate the magic with that orchestral Over the Rainbow and it's just not quite the same.

Violator
May 15, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

this is really funny to watch because you can kinda play "guess what station this is supposed to play on" with each spot, they're all for the same movie but the dialogue, music and scene choices are clearly attempting to reach different audiences. A fun little glimpse into film marketing.

“Godzilla... fights for love... tonight on ABC Family.”

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

VanSandman posted:

The purpose is that it's a good joke that despite all the hustling to and fro nothing gets accomplished, thus the meeting in a stairwell getting the same style title as the official conference rooms

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It's easy to overlook amid all the spectacle but the real gut punch in shin is that one long pull out shot followed by real photos of the atomic bombing aftermath

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I really need to see Shin Godzilla.

While KotM is presented as a monster mash, the message that mankind's activities will unleash forces that kill millions and permanently alter the world is one that will only become heavier as time goes on.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tekne posted:

While KotM is presented as a monster mash, the message that mankind's activities will unleash forces that kill millions and permanently alter the world is one that will only become heavier as time goes on.

Pacific Rim is the same way.

It also has some things to say about the efficacy of walls as a panacea.... :killdozer: :greenangel:

Also the bad guy politician is totally a Mitt Romney stand-in. :mitt:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, if Striker Eureka wasn't there to take out the kaiju who went through the Sydney wall like it was paper mache, Australia would have gotten hosed up.

If you have problems remembering this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHC8wZHB3ZI

Note the kaiju is acting like "what, did I pass through something?!"

They stole that angle of Striker uppercutting the kaiju from an early episode of Ultraman Great (coincidentally shot in Australia as well by someone who went on to work on effects in Farspace) but I'm not complaining. They stole a lot of shots from Ultraman shows, actually.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

The purpose is that it's a good joke that despite all the hustling to and fro nothing gets accomplished, thus the meeting in a stairwell getting the same style title as the official conference rooms

Best part is when it all culminates in the order to fire on Godzilla being given to a guy in the plane.....who then has to convey that order to the pilot. So even when the decision is made to fire they can't even just say that to the guy pulling the trigger, there's a man in the plane who's function it is to be the middle-man for that order.

The joke is that they have so many functionaries that you can't even keep track of them all, and none of them really even do anything aside from sit in meetings and convey messages to the next functionary down the line.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Tekne posted:

Did I just see a jet fighter pilot become Rodan's happy meal

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, if Striker Eureka wasn't there to take out the kaiju who went through the Sydney wall like it was paper mache, Australia would have gotten hosed up.

If you have problems remembering this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHC8wZHB3ZI

Note the kaiju is acting like "what, did I pass through something?!"

They stole that angle of Striker uppercutting the kaiju from an early episode of Ultraman Great (coincidentally shot in Australia as well by someone who went on to work on effects in Farspace) but I'm not complaining. They stole a lot of shots from Ultraman shows, actually.

The text crawl on the news broadcast of the wall being breached is BUT THE POLITICIANS SAID IT COULD WITHSTAND A CAT 4 KAIJU! right as it gets plowed over.

To bring it back to Godzilla, it's too bad that both G2014 and PR have the most generic whitemeat dudebro protagonists imaginable though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Taylor-Johnson was fine though.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

He was a big boy scout.

Also his name sounds like a tire conglomerate in the midwest.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Is it me or is calm Ghidorah even scarier than angry or murderous Ghidorah?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

The Giant Claw (1957)

Nroo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 11, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

In Rodan's world, we are the Chicken McNuggets.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I have a feeling people taste more like pork rinds

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I have a feeling people taste more like pork rinds

Eff you; I'm a goddam filet mignon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Long pork is called that for a reason!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Darko posted:

Long pork is called that for a reason!

You're drat right it is.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Davros1 posted:

Tasteless and tender? :v: I'll be a bavette steak any day.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Nroo posted:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

The Giant Claw (1957)

Scale seems really off there but in exactly the same way as giant claw (the claw is fucken huge) and it looks cool so whatever

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, assuming that the man is of average height and Rodan is the size of a flying battleship...

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rodan doesnt eat people that's Gyaos' thing :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rodan bodyslams people with his spiky metal pecs. Or he plays volleyball with boulders.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Wemus posted:

In his original film, it's implied that he ate that young couple he snatched off the mountain, in that there's no other real reason for him to have done that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Wemus posted:

it's more like when zooming down a highway on a motorcycle and a bug flies in your open mouth

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KaiserKnightMax/status/1116400075092180992?s=19

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like how both Kong and Rodman have eaten dudes in these flicks.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That typo really confused me for a while.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

I like how both Kong and Rodman have eaten dudes in these flicks.

That scene has a :discourse: smash cut

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1118212459121250305

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Can't wait to hear the boys cackling.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well it took like 5 years but I finally watched Kong skull island and holy poo poo this is a beautiful movie. Idk what happened but whoever decided the giant monkey movie needed to be gorgeous as hell was a genius

Larry Fong, the cinematographer, is one of the greats. He is pretty much the reason Zack Snyder has his trademark look, as he shot 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch and BvS.

I dont even like Kong Skull Island, but Ill often throw it on just for the visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade